3BB FTTx fiber optic Bangkok

AJBangkok

Interesting. What's your newsgroup downloadee? ;-)

Today I was able to either watch news feeds live (Al Jazeera news for instance) and pause them as necessary, and after an hour I could select the program and download it to a .mp4. That process takes about half the time of normal viewing I think. So, in the neighborhood of 30 minutes for an hour long program. That's with a recording-optimized software tool rather than the normal viewer.

Getting any complete program might be faster in Thailand with FTTH if the IPTV server can respond.

I'm still confused about why the international gateway is supposed to be better with the Premier package than the FTTH setup. That makes sense with the ADSL options, but you'd think that the FTTH configs would be set already for maximum throughput to the international gateways. I wish I could get an explanation form 3BB about this.

It would be interesting to see speed tests between Thai and overseas testing locations (Singapore, UK, etc.) to compare single-connection speeds.

As for the international gateway they say that premier is on an other network with more bandwith allocated. I cant be sure of those claims as for skype and newsgroups i was faster with both normal and FTTx.

Mind you a good router helps a bit too.

• 2 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As for the international gateway they say that premier is on an other network with more bandwith allocated. I cant be sure of those claims as for skype and newsgroups i was faster with both normal and FTTx.

Exactly.

I currently use Huawei EchoLife HG8045A for the 3BB FTTx and do you use Huawei too?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Exactly.

I currently use Huawei EchoLife HG8045A for the 3BB FTTx and do you use Huawei too?

I have the Huwei in bridge modus meaning it only transmits the data as a bridge does nothing else with it. All the other work is done by my ASUS RT AC68U. It was an expensive router but it performs great.

• 10 months later...

I'm learning a lot from reading here.

If I set up FTTH with 3BB, I need to accept their full control of their box, so that they can do what I normally would do with my ADSL router.

If I want a level of privacy, NAT control, etc, I need to get something like the ASUS RT AC68U and figure out how to set it up once I get 3BB to set up their box to bit mode. I hope there is good documentation on setting up the RT AC68U as a client to the ONT. I've run into trouble setting up a wifi router behind an ADSL in the past.

The other thing I'm grokking is that I really do need to set up a VPN and give up on uTorrent, even with an RT AC68U.

I think I'll set up the VPN via my ADSL setup first, before getting FTTH.

Besides the hassle of getting the fiber setup installed, I do worry about that setting up and maintaining the additional router behind the ONT may be tricky. One good thing, the lady on the 3BB line didn't say no when I asked if it was okay to set up a second router.

Hopefully I can turn off the ONT wifi if I'm going to use my own.

I'm learning a lot from reading here.

If I set up FTTH with 3BB, I need to accept their full control of their box, so that they can do what I normally would do with my ADSL router.

If I want a level of privacy, NAT control, etc, I need to get something like the ASUS RT AC68U and figure out how to set it up once I get 3BB to set up their box to bit mode. I hope there is good documentation on setting up the RT AC68U as a client to the ONT. I've run into trouble setting up a wifi router behind an ADSL in the past.

The other thing I'm grokking is that I really do need to set up a VPN and give up on uTorrent, even with an RT AC68U.

I think I'll set up the VPN via my ADSL setup first, before getting FTTH.

Besides the hassle of getting the fiber setup installed, I do worry about that setting up and maintaining the additional router behind the ONT may be tricky. One good thing, the lady on the 3BB line didn't say no when I asked if it was okay to set up a second router.

Hopefully I can turn off the ONT wifi if I'm going to use my own.

Actually its not that hard.. and it has been working like a charm for me for a long time now. I don't understand why you should have to give up Utorrent and you can even set up an VPN on the router itself (if you want that)

robblok, thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I may be getting throttled even now, and with a faster connection (even after throttling myself) I may get "noticed" by whomever is tasked with stopping people from getting many types of things via torrents. The international trade agreements that may go into effect here in this nation might force ISP's to take a harder line on things like that. We've gotten the blind eye up to now, for the most part, but this could change. That is my concern. Some trackers can use https etc., but not all.

VPN on the router - new one on me! I assume you mean the one I set up behind the ONT. I do see how this could be done, though.

The thing about router setups is that the documentation is not always up to snuff - or the firmware does not behave as advertised for configurations beyond the most basic. As I said, I had a real hassle with a wifi router that I could not set up to work the my main router - actually it worked the "wrong way" at first before an error, but when i tried to set it up according to the user guide, I had to give up after a while. Router products are often released with imperfections or even major flaws.

So it is good that your setup was easy and works well! ;-)

robblok, thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I may be getting throttled even now, and with a faster connection (even after throttling myself) I may get "noticed" by whomever is tasked with stopping people from getting many types of things via torrents. The international trade agreements that may go into effect here in this nation might force ISP's to take a harder line on things like that. We've gotten the blind eye up to now, for the most part, but this could change. That is my concern. Some trackers can use https etc., but not all.

VPN on the router - new one on me! I assume you mean the one I set up behind the ONT. I do see how this could be done, though.

The thing about router setups is that the documentation is not always up to snuff - or the firmware does not behave as advertised for configurations beyond the most basic. As I said, I had a real hassle with a wifi router that I could not set up to work the my main router - actually it worked the "wrong way" at first before an error, but when i tried to set it up according to the user guide, I had to give up after a while. Router products are often released with imperfections or even major flaws.

So it is good that your setup was easy and works well! ;-)

I get throttled too.. but only between 17:00 and 24:00 besides those hours no throttling at all.

Yes you can set a VPN on the router itself.

It was easy for me but you do need to have your login from 3bb and setup your old 3bb router as bridge. This is the hard part after that its just like setting up a normal router (so you need to have the access code from the 3bb router too)

Archived