Owning a Small Inflatable Boat - What are the laws?

LiamEuujin

I have recently purchased a small 10 ft long inflatable pvc boat capable of holding 3 people. I want to put a small engine (3hp) on the back and visit some small islands of the coast and also just chilling on the coastal waters etc.

Whats are the legal implications? Are there any laws or restrictions for such small boats. Do I need a licence? Do I have to register the inflatable craft? Yesterday I took the boat out for a little test by Hua Hin. I dint stray far out from the beach just a few hundered meters. But I noticed a military helicopter took off from a local base and came to check me out and see what I was doing then it returned to base after 2min.

Any help would be appreciated

• Like 1

a 10' inflatable with 3 adults and a 3hp engine would go backwards in a current, it might be ok on enclosed waters but in anything with a surge, swell or current it would be fool hardy. It would be like those that stick a 15hp on as a spare motor on an 18' hull, unless it is totally calm it will go no where. Registration would have to be required but with such a small motor I doubt you would need a licence but that is based on Australian regs, for inshore island trips I would look at a minimum of a 12' aluminium V hull with a 15 hp on the back, at least that will be more stable and be able to move in currents and waves etc.

Liam...Sounds like it would be safer for you to buy a motorbike !!

There is no rescue service as such here that I know of.....3hp, inflatable rubber duck....you will need them if you take it out of a lake and onto the open waters.

FORGET IT !!

• Like 1

Just in case you have not been put off by the above replies.

Your local harbor dept can issue you will a helmsman's cert so you can drive the dingy yourself, you can also get a marine engineers license from them to allow you to fanny around with the propulsion system. If your boat is not registered the harbor dept can give you (for a fee)a blue book for your boat which will allow you to take out an insurance policy(great idea in your case!). A current passport with valid visa is all thats req'd.

• Like 1

Sorry for hijacking, was thinking about a (plastic/hardbody) kajak for paddle along the coastline on nice days. Seeing the op get scolded for his marine ideas makes me a little wary...

The webside i looked into about kajaks advertises with seaworthiness for some of their models... Do you think it's too dangerous? Could it be done safe?

I have recently purchased a small 10 ft long inflatable pvc boat capable of holding 3 people. I want to put a small engine (3hp) on the back and visit some small islands of the coast and also just chilling on the coastal waters etc.

Whats are the legal implications? Are there any laws or restrictions for such small boats. Do I need a licence? Do I have to register the inflatable craft? Yesterday I took the boat out for a little test by Hua Hin. I dint stray far out from the beach just a few hundered meters. But I noticed a military helicopter took off from a local base and came to check me out and see what I was doing then it returned to base after 2min.

With 3HP it would be interesting to see what the result would be if you and your rubber duck were being pushed towards the Royal palace due to currents or waves. I guess the helicopter wouldn't just have a look and return back to base...

Ps you didn't by any chance take your boat out yesterday later in the afternoon again? Two foreigners just washed up on a beach on Koh Tao...

With 3HP it would be interesting to see what the result would be if you and your rubber duck were being pushed towards the Royal palace due to currents or waves. I guess the helicopter wouldn't just have a look and return back to base...

Ps you didn't by any chance take your boat out yesterday later in the afternoon again? Two foreigners just washed up on a beach on Koh Tao...

You mean the two foreigners with bodies slashed with a hoe?

Sorry for hijacking, was thinking about a (plastic/hardbody) kajak for paddle along the coastline on nice days. Seeing the op get scolded for his marine ideas makes me a little wary...

The webside i looked into about kajaks advertises with seaworthiness for some of their models... Do you think it's too dangerous? Could it be done safe?

It could, but you'd have to take into consideration the daily tide, current, and weather conditions. So if you know how to judge the weather and ocean conditions to tell which days/time is safest you could do it, but you should stay near shore and hopefully you are a good swimmer in case of emergency.

Edited by hhfarang

It could, but you'd have to take into consideration the daily tide, current, and weather conditions. So if you know how to judge the weather and ocean conditions to tell which days/time is safest you could do it, but you should stay near shore and hopefully you are a good swimmer in case of emergency.

hhfarang,

this may also be interesting for the op, as a rule of thumb, which would be the safest time to put to sea on a kajak/small boat, during ebb or flow ?

I assume ebb drags you out and flow will help you return to the shore?

You mean the two foreigners with bodies slashed with a hoe?

My post was made prior to any details available on the bodies found on Koh Tao. Just that two bodies had been found on the beach. Very sad story knowing now the full extent.

hhfarang,

this may also be interesting for the op, as a rule of thumb, which would be the safest time to put to sea on a kajak/small boat, during ebb or flow ?

I assume ebb drags you out and flow will help you return to the shore?

I'm no Kayaker or even boater, but I was an avid scuba diver for over 20 years and it's not exactly that simple from what I understand. There are a lot of explanations on the web specific to ocean or offshore kayaking, but tides are just another form of current. You have to take into consideration the direction of the tide, any other currents, and the wind speed to realize whether you could paddle strongly enough to go against the wind and water movement. Certain combinations of these three can make it impossible to go in any direction but one, which could be away from shore. My understanding is that unless you are very experienced with a moisture protected radio (for emergency communication) on board, you should not Kayak in unprotected (open) water. Smaller protected bays or lakes are a much safer bet. There are some great protected areas to Kayak (they even run guided tours) in Krabi but I'm not sure Hua Hin is the ideal location for it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/15/2014 at 7:21 AM, jaidam said:

Just in case you have not been put off by the above replies.

Your local harbor dept can issue you will a helmsman's cert so you can drive the dingy yourself, you can also get a marine engineers license from them to allow you to fanny around with the propulsion system. If your boat is not registered the harbor dept can give you (for a fee)a blue book for your boat which will allow you to take out an insurance policy(great idea in your case!). A current passport with valid visa is all thats req'd.

Do we need any registration for one of those boats ? Thanks.

http://www.twineye2002.com/Products/Aluminium Boat/Aluminium_Boat.html

http://www.comosthailand.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9:boat&catid=9:product&Itemid=115&lang=en

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 11/20/2017 at 2:33 AM, EcigAmateur said:

I do not know, but do you know where to buy a small inflatable boat ? thanks.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1051406-good-quality-inflatable-boat-with-paddles-where-to-buy/