What Do You Wish You Had Brought With You?

Greetings,

If this applies to you and you had it to do over again, what would you have packed and brought to Thailand with you when you came for that teaching job (and with an eye to eventually giving private lessons)? For example, software, a special reference book, teaching journal, some kind of great teaching materials not available there, white shirts, small cassette player/recorder, a stick...

I've lived in BKK already, so I know most things are available for purchase there, but just in case...

Thanks much!

Thanks for the question.

I would not have brought anything too heavy, such as a dictionary, since those are available. I brought a New Oxford American Picture dictionary, paperback, that I previously used in private lessons (I saw a pirated CD of it, interactive, in Hua Hin!!).

I shouldn't have brought that new lightweight suit, and nobody should bring a three piece wool suit here. As you know, clothes are cheap here.

A colleague coming from America brought dustless chalk and gave it to his favorite teachers, knowing how messy the chalk can be.

Planning to ride motorcycles here, I brought a proper DOT certified real helmet. And a proper rainsuit that fit my big frame.

That's all I can think of. My friends bring me Hershey bars and cheap sunblock from the USA, and my son gives me Cadbury's from Ireland.

I would have brought my 12 guage pump shotgun and lots of ammo if I could get it past security at the airport...such a valuable tool for the classroom! The other necessary stuff; shovel, duct tape and large trash bags you can buy here.

BTW, I used to teach kids, hence the need for the above equipment. Now that I teach adults I just need the usual stuff (books, markers, etc).

A nice big box of English tea. Cheaper and tastier than a lot of the tea you get here.

Also those super small cans of coke (150ml) Like the ones you can get from airlines make excellent gifts! They are cheap but Thai appreciate them as you can't buy them here! Everytime I go back home my Thai friends ask for different brands so they have the whole collection. Most of the Thais don't actually drink them though!