Workers injured in Rayong building collapse

webfact

Workers injured in Rayong building collapse
The Nation

30243277-01_big.jpg?1410738824478

BANGKOK: -- A COMMERCIAL building under construction in Rayong province partially collapsed yesterday, injuring four workers.

General Jatuwat Khingbualung, head of Klaeng district police, said a concrete balcony of the two-storey commercial building collapsed and fell on workers below |at around 9pm on Saturday. The workers suffered injuries to their hip, back, leg and chest.

The have been identified as Chatree Aounkaneuy, 28, Cambodians; Ton Kwad, 30, Yha, 20, and Thee Sist, 30. The building, which was owned by Thansap Land Housing, called the "Village" and also had six shops.

Police are investigating the accident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Workers-injured-in-Rayong-building-collapse-30243277.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-15

The headline seems to imply that the injured workers collapsed inside the building. But newspaper editors aren't hired for their English skills, are they?

I hope the workers recover quickly. This type of disaster occurs too often here. How can anyone trust the integrity of any structure in Thailand?

I say this every time there is an incident like this , Until there is legislation to make Killing or injuring people at work more expensive to the construction company than finishing the work on time , this will continue to happen. These foreign workers and the families of the ones who die in these "Incidents" will be given a minor back hander to keep quiet. Normally the families depend on Money sent back by the worker who has been killed or injured so they take the money. This happens everywhere in Asia . Ive seen it happen a few times in Taiwan and Malaysia, so called advanced Asian nation's .

Edited by Sena Dave

Yet another construction failure. This seems to becoming a very common occurance. I have to assume there are no building codes, or if there are, no enforcement (big surprise).

One big problem that I have seen, is the total lack of skilled and properly trained construction workers.

When will Thailand ever learn and join the real world.

The headline seems to imply that the injured workers collapsed inside the building. But newspaper editors aren't hired for their English skills, are they?

I hope the workers recover quickly. This type of disaster occurs too often here. How can anyone trust the integrity of any structure in Thailand?

The first paragraph could be directed to the news paper that printed the story.

It may be a small contribution in helping to improve their English skills and would be more constructive than sharing it with TVF.

• Like 1

Just look at the far right corner pylon/post/support, it is far thinner than the horizontal above it, it has the weight of front side and side of structure.

I do not have much Idea, BUT at least have your corners strong enough to support the bulk.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yet another construction failure. This seems to becoming a very common occurance. I have to assume there are no building codes, or if there are, no enforcement (big surprise).

One big problem that I have seen, is the total lack of skilled and properly trained construction workers.

Well OK, but how about some blame / most of the blame on the architect or the assigned building engineer or the on site foreman?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well OK, but how about some blame / most of the blame on the architect or the assigned building engineer or the on site foreman?

Local government inspection on site to se the supports are as per regulations. Mind you the local government officer in charge could have been/is a fishing fleet owner, as he will need this experience to oversee the construction. These officers--government at most levels are there because of money, not experience in the said field they should oversee.

And you are perfectly fluent in spoken and written Thai, are you?

• Like 1

That is very difficult process and is there any monetary reward in doing that? Just saying.

OH! We were supposed to put the support columns in BEFORE we built the balcony?! Hey, that's a great idea! cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Christ!!!

Indeed.....all these posters must be posting from abroad...I mean .....well.....come on.......who'd dare live in Thailand so many things wrong with it........mainly the moaners, me thinks.

From the photo it appears that the balcony was being hung from a number of horizontal concrete beams connected to the top side of the first floor.

There are no horizontal steel rods protruding from the first floor so it must have been a last minute addition, floating next to the main floor.

It should have been part of the main floor, but some brilliant person has told the workers to "add a balcony" after the main floor was already finished.

They've under estimated the weight of the balcony which appears to be far too thick and heavy for its purpose.

They just made it the same thickness as the main floor so it would look "neat" and nobody could tell that it was an ad-on.

It probably fell after removing the form-work supports. Lucky nobody was killed although the injuries as described sound serious.

The horizontal beam at the far end (in the photo) has taken some of the first floor down as well.

This could have been where the domino effect began.

it does look exactly as you describe

the balcony is way over spec

dotpoom, on 15 Sept 2014 - 12:08, said:
chainarong, on 15 Sept 2014 - 09:36, said:

Fiddlesticks, on 15 Sept 2014 - 08:51, said:

OH! We were supposed to put the support columns in BEFORE we built the balcony?! Hey, that's a great idea! cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Christ!!!

Indeed.....all these posters must be posting from abroad...I mean .....well.....come on.......who'd dare live in Thailand so many things wrong with it........mainly the moaners, me thinks.

You seem to be moaning about moaners, so I guess, going by what you say, you must also live in Thailand.

Seems like every week another building collapses in Thailand. My guess is that the building inspectors and permit departments are too busy to really check engineering plans and contractors involved. I'm sure all the imported and local workers have their credentials anyhow. Just an act of God or the stars weren't aligned. Oh well.

I will be leaving Thailand when they start on the nuclear power station .

I think the entire region will be gone if that happens....dreadful thought!

Incidently, the Philipines built a power reactor years ago.....fortunately, they were not allowed to source fuel.....I would imagine it would be similar here...

Although, I believe there is a small research reactor at Atoms for Peace on Vibhavadi.

lvr181, on 15 Sept 2014 - 10:08, said:lvr181, on 15 Sept 2014 - 10:08, said:
scorecard, on 15 Sept 2014 - 09:54, said:scorecard, on 15 Sept 2014 - 09:54, said:

WhizBang, on 15 Sept 2014 - 09:21, said:WhizBang, on 15 Sept 2014 - 09:21, said:

That is very difficult process and is there any monetary reward in doing that? Just saying.

So what's your point?

Are you saying the architect or the construction engineer, or the on site foreman are free of blame because checking is too difficult, or they don't get enough salary or 'benefits'?

Edited by scorecard

Christ!!!

Moaning???? !!!!! Where else can you find this kind of comedy? People in other countries would pay good money to see the comic antics that surround us daily here in the LOS.

FYI - This is moaning mad.gif

This is "I can't believe they've done it again! cheesy.gif

• Like 1