Tuning, Remap my Versys?

BBJ

I seem to remember someone recommending a shop for tuning etc. I think my bike needs it especially after sticking the Scorpion slip-on exhaust.

Occasionally there us a dead spot when you first engage the throttle with the odd puff of air which sounds as though it exits the filter.

Any place to go in Bangkok?

Cheers

Seems like what your asking for is a flash tune or someone to change/flash your ecu to make use of the new

free flowing exhaust correct?

If so here is one place

http://www.ecuthailand.com/

I personally do not care for such a flash as it is usually 60% of the cost of

a stand alone unit. Which would allow you to tune as many times as needed

Because when you flash your stock ecu if later you do anymore changes to your system you will again likely want/need a new flash

With a stand alone unit like Dynojet,power commander, two brother juice box etc you can change the maps

yourself in a minute

As for the power Commander more expensive auto tune deal I 100% dont think it is worth the extra costs

No auto tune can tune a multi cylinder with any accuracy & what you get is a general map anyway

So with that in mind IMO grab the less expensive models ( roughly $250 USD) Also the ones I mentioned are all made by the same folks Dynojet

but just have different labels on them.

if you do go this route of stand alone EFI you can just grab a bunch of maps from many places

free online or you can even play with one yourself & lean or enrich the area in the RPM band you feel lacking

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Seems like what your asking for is a flash tune or someone to change/flash your ecu to make use of the new

free flowing exhaust correct?

If so here is one place

http://www.ecuthailand.com/

I personally do not care for such a flash as it is usually 60% of the cost of

a stand alone unit. Which would allow you to tune as many times as needed

Because when you flash your stock ecu if later you do anymore changes to your system you will again likely want/need a new flash

With a stand alone unit like Dynojet,power commander, two brother juice box etc you can change the maps

yourself in a minute

As for the power Commander more expensive auto tune deal I 100% dont think it is worth the extra costs

No auto tune can tune a multi cylinder with any accuracy & what you get is a general map anyway

So with that in mind IMO grab the less expensive models ( roughly $250 USD) Also the ones I mentioned are all made by the same folks Dynojet

but just have different labels on them.

if you do go this route of stand alone EFI you can just grab a bunch of maps from many places

free online or you can even play with one yourself & lean or enrich the area in the RPM band you feel lacking

Thanks,

exactly what I was looking for. I was originally considering the power commander but a few recommended a flash like you say. It does make more sense to add a stand alone unit in that case.

Without autotune or a proper dyno tune you might not know which rpm range are running lean or rich. A custom ecu flash will never get close to the specifics of the pipe you are using - unless they did a specific map for your pipe - and for example add an aftermarket air filter or change the pipe and ecu goes for another ecu flash.

Plus with autotune, you have a chance to learn exactly what you are doing.

Edited by ll2

Thanks,

exactly what I was looking for. I was originally considering the power commander but a few recommended a flash like you say. It does make more sense to add a stand alone unit in that case.

Yes it just depends on what you think the future holds & your level of modding

But a flash is fine for many. Main thing is ask the company if they have done a similar flash & have results.

Stand alone is nice if you want to tinker more or make more changes. But for many that pretty much is just

pipe/air filter

If someone is going whole hog with cams etc of course essential to have further abilities

Autotune is a misnomer they should call it auto generalization

Anyone tuning knows no multi cylinder runs all cylinders equally.

They may be close but never equal so auto tune is a marketing gimmick IMHO

As it only sets one overall map like everyone else. It cannot make individual adjustments per cylinder

If anyone else wants to read a good article on it here is one

Although written in German this is the translation so may be odd in spots

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&tl=en&u=http://www.bdperformance.net/autotune_selfmapping.html

If someone wanted the highest possible tune there is still only one way

Many trips to a dyno making small changes in real time

But most folks ( everyone except a dedicated race bike ) do not need that.

Good luck & keep us posted if you go the flash route as others may find your info useful

Edited by mania

An ECU flash can do not only fuel recalibration, but it can overwrite 'safety maps' and 'throttle restriction' (Kawasaki often implements these features- they did on my bike), plus it can change ignition settings, secondary throttle plate settings, speed restrictions, etc. Setting up my bike convinced me that tuning through the ECU is the way to go, and if you want to go the auto-tuner route, there are already systems in place for many models (though I don't know about the 650 Versys).

If I could go back to last year, I would never have bothered with a PC-5 and I would have done all tuning through the ECU.

• Like 2

An ECU flash can do not only fuel recalibration, but it can overwrite 'safety maps' and 'throttle restriction' (Kawasaki often implements these features- they did on my bike), plus it can change ignition settings, secondary throttle plate settings, speed restrictions, etc. Setting up my bike convinced me that tuning through the ECU is the way to go, and if you want to go the auto-tuner route, there are already systems in place for many models (though I don't know about the 650 Versys).

If I could go back to last year, I would never have bothered with a PC-5 and I would have done all tuning through the ECU.

True & that I forgot you wrote about this last year

I forgot that the flash can overwrite some features you would like to get rid of as well as deal with ignition timing....a nice benefit

Do you have to be careful when going for servicing that they do not wipe that?

Also another thing i forgot is some models do not have a dynojet stan alone available although I would think the 650 twin

in the Versys & Ninja probably do....But I remember folks could not find one for a CRF250 I think it was?

Anyway some good re-flash reasons there

• Like 1

^

I very much doubt the dealership has the capability to read/change an ECU, but in any case I have the flashing tools and could easily set it back if it was altered. I left my stock 'H' mode in place and reset the 'L' mode- I doubt they'd notice the changes even if they could read it.;)

Look at something like the expected features of the new R1, with Bluetooth access to the ECU settings that can be changed via your phone- I think the days of piggyback devices like the Power Commander are numbered.

• Like 1

These are the actual 'safety mode' STP settings for my bike- I didn't believe this map existed until I saw it for myself (if the throttle is quickly opened in the first three gears, the ECU closes off the secondary throttle plates, limiting fuel and therefore power- it's basically a 'nanny mode')- while this map can't be eliminated, it can be overwritten with the same numbers as the high-power settings, so there will be no changes if the ECU switches to it- a PC can't do anything about it:

post-176811-0-23890100-1410876616_thumb.

^

I very much doubt the dealership has the capability to read/change an ECU, but in any case I have the flashing tools and could easily set it back if it was altered. I left my stock 'H' mode in place and reset the 'L' mode- I doubt they'd notice the changes even if they could read it.wink.png

Look at something like the expected features of the new R1, with Bluetooth access to the ECU settings that can be changed via your phone- I think the days of piggyback devices like the Power Commander are numbered.

Yes I think they would not knowing adjust or change things as you say they probably are not capable.

I just wondered if they use diagnostic tools which may reset an ecu to spec

Good you have the ability to also reset to your spec though.

Yes I think you may be right about simple piggy back units/fuel maps if this new tech becomes mainstream

It is funny because I can think back to when FI & mapping was just starting & most of us was still

on carbs & jets & we thought wow the future of tuning is going to be all by cable to your desktop

which in those days were big & slow computers with 16mb of ram heheh smile.png

I guess progress is being made & with all the new smart phone/tablets etc who knows what is ahead.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Can any ecu shop do this are is the a reputable place specializing in bikes in BKK?

Is ecuthailand the place to go as mentioned by Mania?

Edited by BBJ

^

The Kawasaki Denso ECU is pretty easy to flash, but the shop would need the unencrypted .bin file for your bike (this is the Kawasaki map that varies by region). I know that you can buy the tools so the ER-6N and Ninja 650 can be tuned, and I've seen advertisements for Versys flashing, so it shouldn't be a big deal to find a place.

I'd shoot the ECU Shop an email and see what they have to say- if they're local to you, you can ride over, and if you're not you can mail them your ECU- the flashing process takes only a few minutes. No doubt they have a 'canned tune' that would be within a couple % of what you'd get with a custom dyno tune.

• Like 1

ecu flash is good if cheap but it offers no flexibility and it will be locked again unless you have the flashing software and necessary things.

So, lets say, you want to do a map for city rides with fuel consumption on mind or another for spirited rides, it is possible with dynojet pc5 and autotune but not with ecu flash.

I mean auto tune is used by many from day rides to tracks so it sure works otherwise of course no one buy it, or buyers go to court to complain and it is in the market for a loong timelaugh.png

ecu flash is good to kill all engine restrictions as stated.

for ignition timing, you need an addition ignition module for dynojet.

I believe for proper tuning, both is needed but for only OP's slip on. ecu flash is enough unless no plans of future modding as it means another visit to ecu flash shop.

Edited by ll2

ecu flash is good if cheap but it offers no flexibility and it will be locked again unless you have the flashing software and necessary things.

So, lets say, you want to do a map for city rides with fuel consumption on mind or another for spirited rides, it is possible with dynojet pc5 and autotune but not with ecu flash.

I mean auto tune is used by many from day rides to tracks so it sure works otherwise of course no one buy it, or buyers go to court to complain and it is in the market for a loong timelaugh.png

I believe for proper tuning, both is needed but for only OP's slip on. ecu flash is enough unless no plans of future modding as it means another visit to ecu flash shop.

Cheers,

The main reason for the flash is I really don't think the bike is running great. I'm running it on Benzine 95 but I still get the odd flat-spot at slow speeds and puff of air when I apply the throttle before it kicks in. It's been like this for a while.

I have no plans to modify it as such, and I prefer trail riding than tarmac speed. Come next year I plan to change to the F 800 GS, maybe sooner depending on finances but in the meantime I'd like to get it tuned before my next run out around Kanchanaburi.

Thanks

Cheers,

The main reason for the flash is I really don't think the bike is running great. I'm running it on Benzine 95 but I still get the odd flat-spot at slow speeds and puff of air when I apply the throttle before it kicks in. It's been like this for a while.

I have no plans to modify it as such, and I prefer trail riding than tarmac speed. Come next year I plan to change to the F 800 GS, maybe sooner depending on finances but in the meantime I'd like to get it tuned before my next run out around Kanchanaburi.

Thanks

@BBJ, if this is your problem and by the way this seems to be a bigger problem especially with the ER6/Versys model, just unplug your o2-sensor since it's fooling your ecu.

But in case you do this, you must get an 02-eliminator-plug with a resistor inside, telling your ecu that there is a sensor connected.

Please look here: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/products/ReplacementParts/powercommander_replacement_parts.aspx

The right one for you should be the no. 76423007 but idk (just scroll down). That's all, so don't waste any money.

Good luck smile.png

• Like 1

One good way - if you are so inclined - is to install a wide band O2 sensor.

Almost infinite tuning capabilities, can find the exact rpm where mixture leans or goes rich.

Dyno required.

If you change your o2 sensor to a wide band only that's a waste of money also, bc the oem-ecu is NOT programed for the usage of this sensor...

One good way - if you are so inclined - is to install a wide band O2 sensor.

Almost infinite tuning capabilities, can find the exact rpm where mixture leans or goes rich.

Dyno required.

If you change your o2 sensor to a wide band only that's a waste of money also, bc the oem-ecu is NOT programed for the usage of this senso

Not change - but add as a tuning tool.

It will tell you how much to change - and where.

Edited by seedy

Spoke to ecu thailand and they tell me my ecu has to be sent to Italy. Forget that! More expensive than the PC5 by the time they've done!

believe me, dynojet pc5 with autotune is the way to go with O2 plug they provide. easier, heaper, flexible and you can do it by yourself, especially for a twin. this way you dont have to wait for an ecu going back and forth to Italy for a month and you can not use the bike during this time too.

but to be frank with you, for just a slip on, it does not worth the hassle or expense to buy a dynojet pc5 and autotune or an ecu flash so think about getting an aftermarket air filter and collectors, mid pipes and make your slip on a full system, not hard and expensive and this way you get a powerful, smoother bike and you can create different maps for different usages anytime and autotune is there to adjust the maps after each mod.

Spoke to ecu thailand and they tell me my ecu has to be sent to Italy. Forget that! More expensive than the PC5 by the time they've done!

believe me, dynojet pc5 with autotune is the way to go with O2 plug they provide. easier, heaper, flexible and you can do it by yourself, especially for a twin. this way you dont have to wait for an ecu going back and forth to Italy for a month and you can not use the bike during this time too.

but to be frank with you, for just a slip on, it does not worth the hassle or expense to buy a dynojet pc5 and autotune or an ecu flash so think about getting an aftermarket air filter and collectors, mid pipes and make your slip on a full system, not hard and expensive and this way you get a powerful, smoother bike and you can create different maps for different usages anytime and autotune is there to adjust the maps after each mod.

Is there a stockist in Thailand, or an ebay revzilla type job?

Try to find another place that can flash your ECU in LOS.

It's probably the same set-up as the one for the ER-6N- a smart local tuner would order this from Woolich and he'd have the tools to flash a dozen bikes (actually, I think it works on 14 different VINs) for 13K.

http://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/er-6n/2014/2014-kawasaki-er-6n-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

• Like 1

Try to find another place that can flash your ECU in LOS.

It's probably the same set-up as the one for the ER-6N- a smart local tuner would order this from Woolich and he'd have the tools to flash a dozen bikes (actually, I think it works on 14 different VINs) for 13K.

http://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/er-6n/2014/2014-kawasaki-er-6n-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

good idea rsd! maybe we be that smart tuner! as clearly no ones does it in Thailand nicely!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...