British backpacker arrested for suspected murder of fellow Britons at Koh Tao

webfact

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently in the Thai language news the blood stained clothes were hidden in his luggage, also the guy had been raped too plus the girl had blonde hair in her hands, it's going to get interesting now for sure

i've just seen a picture of the guy, he doesnt have blond hair

im considered blond and my hair is that colour when freshly shaved

• Like 2

So the police had him and then let him go. Whilst he was in custody I wonder what degree of examination the suspect and his belongings were undertaken. Were his clothes thoroughly inspected for any forensic traces, did they do a physical examination in full (such as under fingernails), what degree of interrogation was suspect subjected to?

• Like 1

UPDATE:

British tourists bludgeoned to death on Thailand beach; suspicion falls back on Brit

SUSPICION for the brutal slaying of two British backpackers on the Thai holiday island of Koh Tao has swung back around onto an unnamed British man following initial forensic tests of the victim’s bodies in Bangkok last night.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, who only met on the island in the days leading up to their deaths, were found brutally slain early behind rocks on Koh Tao’s main beach Sai Ree, semi-naked Monday morning.

Police suspect that Ms Witheridge, from Great Yarmouth in Norfolk, may have also have been raped.

A bloodied hoe was discovered 35 metres from the murder scene.

“Really, [the] killer is maybe an English guy,” police Colonel Prachum Ruangthong, superintendent of the Koh Pha Ngan police district that included Koh Tao, said in a text this morning.

In a brief follow up phone call, the police chief said that fragments of hair belonging to a foreigner had been found in the hand of Hannah Westridge.

He did not explain how the police knew that the hair was from a foreigner, and from the potential killer, rather than from Mr Miller or one of Ms Witheridge’s other companions.

Since the bodies were discovered on a rocky beach questions have arisen about the competence of the police.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/british-tourists-bludgeoned-to-death-on-thailand-beach-suspicion-falls-back-on-brit/story-fnizu68q-1227059461113

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-09-17

Post removed linking to Phuketwan.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

• Like 1

A blood stained hoe without any finger prints on it ?

Prints are set by sweat and do not adhere to everything. It would depend on what the handle of the hoe was made of and was it exposed to outside contamination e.g salt water. If taken from a construction site and may have been handled by multiple workers there would be multiple prints probably all smudged and no good as evidence.

Unless you really want one of them to be.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or is the Daily Mail blocked in Thailand? And why in the world would this second rate rag be banned here?

Article on topic that is taboo in Thailand

Its unfortunate that fingers are being pointed each and every way.

Its also a pity that due to the way this has been reported and the way Tourism holds a special place in the investigation, that is has created doubt to intentions and directions of investigations.

Thailand has a lot to do... Respect needs to be won again, because once its lost, its hard to get back and the way its done is very important. Of course this goes for other countries as well, but in this instance, I am speaking about Thailand.

I really wish when something like this happens they'd immediately invite the British to rush some of their best people to aid in the investigation.

If nothing else it would show concern, and also prove transparency in the investigation.

Do you seriously think the British authorities would welcome Thai Police onto British soil, in order to investigate in the event a Thai citizen met a similar fate in the UK?

Most likely, yeah.

• Like 2

My thoughts are closer to confirmation. Another in the group that the two victims were around makes the best sense. If it's this guy or another from a newly formed group of friends, one has to wonder what snaps in the mind (drug induced or otherwise) to commit such a heinous act.

There are some varieties of date rape drugs going around Thailand that remove all inhibitions and actually leave a person upright and able to act while having absolutely no awareness of what he or she is doing while it is happening (i.e. a walking blackout where the video in your brain is turned off) ... and you have no memory of what you did afterward.

Sometimes these drugs are slipped in drinks. Sometimes they are taken voluntarily because in small amounts they can produce an ecstatic high---but if too much is ingested then either the walking blackout or comatose blackout or worse can happen.

This is another possible explanation for this murder, as well as a possible explanation for many of the jumping off the balcony "suicides" that happen in Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket as well.

BTW if both victims were in fact raped as some reports now suggest (something I'm still very skeptical about) then a date rape drug is how this could happen without them putting up any resistance--the drug could either have knocked them out or caused them to have no idea what was happening. (I think these drugs usually take 15-30 minutes to take effect)

Edited by Bleacher Bum East

plus the girl had blonde hair in her hands,

The arrested farang suspect doesn't have blonde hair (and the suspected Burmese workers probably don't either).

The murdered girl does however have blonde hair.

I think they mean, not Asian black. Most Asian have jet black hair, not so many Westerners.

A blood stained hoe without any finger prints on it ?

Prints are set by sweat and do not adhere to everything. It would depend on what the handle of the hoe was made of and was it exposed to outside contamination e.g salt water. If taken from a construction site and may have been handled by multiple workers there would be multiple prints probably all smudged and no good as evidence.

Unless you really want one of them to be.

Only need his fingers prints, is there none in the blood ? He has cuts on his hands (which the police originally dismissed).

He held the hoe and held both down to rape them or did he rape them after they were dead or knocked out ?

Oh the irony!!coffee1.gif

After all the posts here about the violent Thais and the not to be trusted Burmese, what an anticlimax if the culprit is a fellow Brit .sad.png

Until the new suspect is proved and guilty we cannot judge. There could be another situation he could have done on self defense. So we should not conclude on the first news about anyone.

On the first breaking news post of ThaiVisa itself i told that i am living here for 15 years with my family and never faced any danger from Thais or from migrant workers at any situation. I was in Koh-Tao, and the Thai's are minority there than tourists, and most of them were nice to us compare to Bangkokians. My opinions is most Thais outside Bangkok is more nicer to tourists, expect sometime they expect more money for the service. Which we have to understand that they don't have 100% capacity tourists around the year, so take windfall during the season. If you go off-season price are reasonable.

But i still strongly believe that taking holiday in Thai is still good and happy!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is it just me, or is the Daily Mail blocked in Thailand? And why in the world would this second rate rag be banned here?

Been blocked for at least 3 months now. VPN gets you there.

UPDATE:

British tourists bludgeoned to death on Thailand beach; suspicion falls back on Brit

SUSPICION for the brutal slaying of two British backpackers on the Thai holiday island of Koh Tao has swung back around onto an unnamed British man following initial forensic tests of the victim’s bodies in Bangkok last night.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, who only met on the island in the days leading up to their deaths, were found brutally slain early behind rocks on Koh Tao’s main beach Sai Ree, semi-naked Monday morning.

Police suspect that Ms Witheridge, from Great Yarmouth in Norfolk, may have also have been raped.

A bloodied hoe was discovered 35 metres from the murder scene.

“Really, [the] killer is maybe an English guy,” police Colonel Prachum Ruangthong, superintendent of the Koh Pha Ngan police district that included Koh Tao, said in a text this morning.

In a brief follow up phone call, the police chief said that fragments of hair belonging to a foreigner had been found in the hand of Hannah Westridge.

He did not explain how the police knew that the hair was from a foreigner, and from the potential killer, rather than from Mr Miller or one of Ms Witheridge’s other companions.

Since the bodies were discovered on a rocky beach questions have arisen about the competence of the police.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/british-tourists-bludgeoned-to-death-on-thailand-beach-suspicion-falls-back-on-brit/story-fnizu68q-1227059461113

news.com.au.jpg

-- News.com.au 2014-09-17

I do enjoy the direct and questioning approach of this article. Most other agencies are just publishing whatever the Thai police are feeding them that morning.

• Like 2