Thai PM questions if 'tourists in bikinis' safe after Koh Tao murders

webfact

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the 1991 coup, NPCK member Kaset who was also head of the air force which believed it had a divine right to rape and pillage Thai Airways came out with a famous gaffe after having a group of first class paying Japanese businessmen booted off a flight from Tokyo to make room for him and his entourage who couldn't be bothered to book their seats in advance. He said that he didn't enjoy flying first class on THAI because the air hostesses were all ugly and he would rather fly on other airlines instead, (despite being harder to get free tickets). Within the context of the officers' mess that remark obviously seemed perfectly normal but it echoed around the world being reprinted even in local newspapers in tiny communities and did massive damage to Thailand's face and image.

Please stop now and avoid repeating the mistakes of the 1991 coup leaders.

After the 1991 coup, NPCK member Kaset who was also head of the air force which believed it had a divine right to rape and pillage Thai Airways came out with a famous gaffe after having a group of first class paying Japanese businessmen booted off a flight from Tokyo to make room for him and his entourage who couldn't be bothered to book their seats in advance. He said that he didn't enjoy flying first class on THAI because the air hostesses were all ugly and he would rather fly on other airlines instead, (despite being harder to get free tickets). Within the context of the officers' mess that remark obviously seemed perfectly normal but it echoed around the world being reprinted even in local newspapers in tiny communities and did massive damage to Thailand's face and image.

Please stop now and avoid repeating the mistakes of the 1991 coup leaders.

But they did that on May 22, 2014!

• Like 1

so he has gone form blaming the victim for being here to saying that beautiful women in bikinis are seen as a threat to thai men so they have to rape and kill them, now thats really logical. It would appear that he thinks thai men cannot control their urges so everyone else must make sure they do not cause them to lose control. Lets see, there was the teenager on the train that dared to sleep where a drunken man was, then there are the ones under 5 that obviously are too much full the hot blooded males plus the school girls in their uniforms, how are thai males supposed to control themselves with all that fresh "meat" on display.

This is sarcasm but deservedly so. What a load of sh*t

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

The limitations of removing accountable democracy are becoming very apparent.

This has absolutely nothing to do with democracy... Unless there was a vote on to just to rape... or to rape and kill. Perhaps there was a vote on which instrument of death they were to use?

Looks like democracy won out on this one if one followed you're idiotic post.

In an accountable democracy there are accountable politicians.

Yes, but that's not the case here is it? but keep beating on about it, if it makes you feel better

Did I say it was? I'm just pointing out that a democratically elected leader is accountable for what he says.

“But can they be safe in bikinis... unless they are not beautiful?" he said” blink.png

Just keep talking.

Expose your ignorance, misogyny and any other twisted logic that might spill out.

Sounds like he's been taking diplomacy lessons from Sepp Blatter.

whistling.gif

General Prayuth, there MIGHT be a time for those reflections/observations. However, now is the time for expressing regret/sympathy/horror rather than some lame, half-arsed "blame the victim" approach. Not nice.

Thailand yesterday sent condolences to families of two British backpackers who were killed on resort island of Koh Tao off Surat Thani province on Monday.

"On this particular case, General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of Thailand, has personally instructed the relevant Thai authorities to tighten security measures in the area," said Tanasak who is also deputy premier.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bangkok-sent-condolences-to-families-of-slain-Brit-30243512.html

so he has gone form blaming the victim for being here to saying that beautiful women in bikinis are seen as a threat to thai men so they have to rape and kill them, now thats really logical. It would appear that he thinks thai men cannot control their urges so everyone else must make sure they do not cause them to lose control. Lets see, there was the teenager on the train that dared to sleep where a drunken man was, then there are the ones under 5 that obviously are too much full the hot blooded males plus the school girls in their uniforms, how are thai males supposed to control themselves with all that fresh "meat" on display.

It is the total and utter inablity for an average pooyai to walk in another man's shoes that makes them say such utterly shocking things. I mean honestly. Would he dare to say this, if it was his own family involved? It is like they are commenting from an out of body experience.

• Like 1

Many typical TV comments about his comments. All with Western mind sets. Can't blame them, they are Westerners.

But the General is Thai, and his mindset is rooted in Thai culture. Similarly, we can't blame him for this. I don't see that him being in the military all his life has much to do with it. Many Thais are pretty shocked when they see Western women in bikinis on the beach. I haven't seen many Thai women dressed like that, mainly girls who have been influenced by farangs or have lived abroad.

But we came to Thailand to escape many things and the inability to shake off Western culture/mindset is unfortunate. We came here because the country was "different", but so many people still wish it was like back home. That is, except the weather, the food, the ladies etc.

I would tend to agree and wherever you go in the world its important to adapt to the culture and customs. Although thailand caters to millions of tourists they have not updated their mindset fully. They tolerate a lot of offensive stuff. But these were kids on the beach who really dint know better. a real shame.

I wouldnt have sex on any beach in any country but these kids didnt realize how much you stand out as a foreigner with light colored hair just being your normal self can make you look arogant inothers eyes throwing money around and enjoying all the adoring eyes or whatnot. can draw jealousy

the nail in the coffin was proably the sex on the beach. in a killers eyes the crime is always justified on some level.

But I think everyone is missing something that the PM is implying in all these morality statements. He is so many words preparing us to reveal that it was a local that did this. Whether Laos, Burmese or Thai. He seems to know that this was clash of cultures

When investigators interview a suspect they often look for common ground and agree with the suspects prejudices to soften them up. "Yeah your wife was a bitch" and so on. it makes it easier to confess when there is agreement.

He seems to want to tell us something. like he knows it wasnt a Brit who did this

I think it is time for his advisors (if he has any) to tell him to keep quite. He says he is trying to rebuild Thailands reputation but every time he opens his mouth on international issues he is destroying Thailands reputation. The guy is a soldier and not a diplomat/politician and is way out of his depth.
Everytime he opens his mouth on international issues he is destroying Thailands reputation.

Every time?? So a couple of examples should be possible. Let's go!

It is the total and utter inablity for an average pooyai to walk in another man's shoes that makes them say such utterly shocking things. I mean honestly. Would he dare to say this, if it was his own family involved? It is like they are commenting from an out of body experience.

Whoaw, you really keep going strong.

The general needs an official spokesman to save the nation from his off-the-cuff comments, which if continued will damage the county's reputation.

It's a bit too late; this country's 'reputation' and ' image' has been through the shredder more times than i can remember and facts have to be faced, most Western tourists come to Thailand for the sandy beaches sold to them by the travel agencies who give them brochures and show them pictures of people on said beaches wearing bikini's et al. The 'other' type of tourist needs no brochure and knows exactly where he will find his fun.

Ask ten people in just about any Western country what Thailand is known for and half will say the beaches and the other half will say sex. The Thai's do not really have any idea whatsoever how their country is viewed from the outside and for the most part couldn't care a less. Looking for sympathy from the General for the victims family's is a waste of time as we all know that all Thai's will push responsibility onto anyone other than accept it themselves, even for the smallest mistake or wrong doing.

I agree with your sentiments, however until the cause of this brutal murder and the culprit(s) are apprehended everyone including the General needs to be respectful. The General needs to keep his mouth shut, or at least let someone else do the talking for him. The OP is embarrassing for a country that welcomes tourists from G7 countries.

Blaming bikinis?

Pray tell why you explicitly mention "tourists from G7" ?

Is the remark of PM Prayuth acceptable for tourists from elsewhere ?

G7 are the world's seven most developed economies and tourists from those 7 counties have the highest levels of discretionary income to spend on tourism in foreign countries wanting it. Is that explicit enough?

General Prayuth, there MIGHT be a time for those reflections/observations. However, now is the time for expressing regret/sympathy/horror rather than some lame, half-arsed "blame the victim" approach. Not nice.

Thailand yesterday sent condolences to families of two British backpackers who were killed on resort island of Koh Tao off Surat Thani province on Monday.

"On this particular case, General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of Thailand, has personally instructed the relevant Thai authorities to tighten security measures in the area," said Tanasak who is also deputy premier.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bangkok-sent-condolences-to-families-of-slain-Brit-30243512.html

Damage control to try and cover up for the P.M

The P.M needs to come out and make a personal public apology for his offensive comments.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

There's the way the world should be, and the way it really is. To a sexual predator, a bikini on a gorgeous woman looks a lot like a running Mercedes looks to a car thief, or a fistful of money looks to a pickpocket.

The guy's making sense. And I cut him some slack when I think of all the poor translations I've read during my Asian experience..

Well the statement should be, unfortunately "our country is not as safe as advertised, and for that we are sorry".

Maybe that’s exactly what he’s saying. And that it’s time for some collective soul searching.

I don’t understand Thai, and I’ll never understand all the idioms. Just like 99% of Asians won’t understand “Tilting at windmills”- especially if it were a literal translation.

I’m pretty sure there are Thai equivalents of the Don Quixote story, and I would be clueless if an idiom from one of those stories bit me in the butt.

So out of that ignorance on my part, I’m choosing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt…

i think that with all due respect to Thai culture and to the victims familes and the PM that the attitude can be summed up in a thai saying used fairly often that any westerner can understand

Sumn numn nah!

translates to "serves you right!"

thailand is dangerous as is every country in different ways and every day thai people are also victims to the dangers of the roads and murders and violence for different reasons

i dont really agree but i understand the logic and quite frankly foreigners who treat thai people as characters and security guards at some sort of adult Disney World are in for a wak eup

"I paid my ticket. I exect to be kept safe" dont fly in the real world

Damage control to try and cover up for the P.M

The P.M needs to come out and make a personal public apology for his offensive comments.

It happened yesterday by the way. As for his comments, maybe Thai people don't translate his comments the same way some hysterical posters here do. Haven't heard anything negative from my Thai Friends and Family. In what language did he speak when he said those things I hear from you and your fellow posters? Edited by Nickymaster

Whoaw, you really keep going strong.

Well, do you think that in any way, wearing a certain type of clothing in any way presents a right for someone to stave your head in?

You have repeated yourself over and over. You are clearly over emotional. I also think you exaggerate. He only said it could be more dangerous. He NEVER said it gives people the right to do something nasty. You are out of control man.

Regardless of Prayuth's comments, Thailand is a dangerous place. Everything should be done to minimize risk.

Think about your name.

Edited by Nickymaster

Gen Anupong said he would order the Surat Thani governor at a meeting tomorrow to help speed up the investigation.

I always worry when I see comments like this. First, I didn't think Provincial Governors were in charge of the local police here. Am I wrong? Also, the push should be for justice, not to look for some "patsy" who will admit to the crime so the press will lose interest.

So this is Thailand's savior? A guy with morals and standards from the 1930's....

Has he even sent condolences to the families yet?

Is he even aware of his country's reputation as the World's brothel? Likely not, same with most Thais until they step out of their bubble kingdom.

As to your second sentence. I'd bet the family farm he hasn't.

• Like 2