Thai PM questions if 'tourists in bikinis' safe after Koh Tao murders

webfact

I hope its a misquote. If not, roll on the next real election. For such a seamingly intelligent guy to say what has been reported is very sad.

The next election will only happen when / if the dear general decides that his "reforms" have been completed.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more highlight for tourist. wear your bikini at your own risk. What is going on over here

I believe the first bikini was worn in 1946 ( almost 70 yrs ago) and became hugely popular in the 50's some 60+ yrs ago and society just simply adjusted.

In Australia when you go to the beach they have signs stating crocodiles and box jelly fish can kill you.

Maybe Thailand should erect signs stating the wearing of Bikinis can result in death on Thai beachs.

• Like 1

It happened yesterday by the way. As for his comments, maybe Thai people don't translate his comments the same way some hysterical posters here do. Haven't heard anything negative from my Thai Friends and Family. In what language did he speak when he said those things I hear from you and your fellow posters?

Don't be so obtuse. It's been obvious from the seizure he wants to roll this country back to some Golden Age, preferably prehistoric.

What we have here is a somewhat conservative man expressing his opinion which since he's PM he shouldn't. As politician he still has much to learn.

Then maybe he shouldn't have become PM, or at least not done so until he could get qualified enough for the job to be able to get elected by the Thai people.

He didn't want to, he was persuaded that the country needed him, a non-politician rather than someone of the lot which couldn't even agree on the colour of an orange if their life depended on it.

Mind you, with all good intentions and the very helpful suggestions of especially TVF members he might improve to the point of being the favorite again for the position late next year.

I take it you don't believe anything Suthep said about them having planned the coup together for years?

I hope its a misquote. If not, roll on the next real election. For such a seamingly intelligent guy to say what has been reported is very sad.

The next election will only happen when / if the dear general decides that his "reforms" have been completed.

Military coup, Junta, President for life = no next election.

(Well, no election with anyone else standing)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Understanding the mindset is helpful. He's got quite a record of statements.

There is a high profile Thai person with a home in Pattaya, and periodically the hi-so hangers on flock down there to... hang on.

Once while sitting in Au Bon Pain in Royal Garden while eating my croissant and breakfast coffee I was astonished to see a large group of chauffeur driven blue haired brigade ladies out to view the farangs.

Their comments...

"Ohhh look Farangs eat bread!"

The mindset...

Farang ladies also like to wear bikinis to the beach, or totally nude where applicable. And this behavior has nothing whatsoever to do with being murdered with a hoe on Koh Tao.

That is not a nice thing to say about Thai people. Also unnecessary in this thread.

Completely true though. After 18 years I still get sick of 'Oh look, the farang can eat gaeng som!' blink.png

Sad for you. Never had these issues in 30 years. Thais in general never made me sick.

General Prayuth, there MIGHT be a time for those reflections/observations. However, now is the time for expressing regret/sympathy/horror rather than some lame, half-arsed "blame the victim" approach. Not nice.

He isn't really a politician, now is he ?

Don't get me wrong, I admire and applaud what he is trying to do for the country. BUT, how does being the prime minister not make him a politician?

Same as Yingluck isn't a politician. I once helped a guy who'd been knocked off his motorbike, didn't make me a doctor.

Neither were trained politicians with oodles of empirical experience. Neither were used to making the weasley, patronizing, lots of words no meaning, double speak associated with most of the so called "world leaders".

• Like 1

This dinosaur does not want tourists in bikinis?

Maybe he's ditching Western tourists for those from Malaysia/Indonesia/Middle East/Salt Lake City.

I pity the poor sod that's going to be produced and made a scapegoat very soon.

But let's not criticize him/his regime too much - they can censor the media a lot more than at present, and can make life very difficult for us.

I don't think that's what he said or wants really, do you?

I think he making a few points. That Thailand is often mistaken for a totally safe place where you can do what you want and always be safe - it isn't. That there are appropriate social and dress codes, which there are in every country, which the traveler should be aware of and respect. Most countries have public decency laws of some sort.

The CCTV pictures of the victims show them dressed well enough for a beach party whilst on holiday from the ones I saw. Going bathing in an isolated beach spot, however you are dressed, is risky in most countries I would think.

This is a nasty and vicious murder and no one as yet knows what really happened or how many attackers there were.

What is really sad is a number of posts who try to twist things to make a political point out of a tragedy.

It's a pity the PM didn't state condolences first.

• Like 2

Yes Man, much better to say, TH is fit for muslim ladies who use their ninja clothes every-where.

I told many times, TH likes tourists so much if they don't come here, just send the money ....

Edited by Loles

General Prayuth, there MIGHT be a time for those reflections/observations. However, now is the time for expressing regret/sympathy/horror rather than some lame, half-arsed "blame the victim" approach. Not nice.

He isn't really a politician, now is he ?

Don't get me wrong, I admire and applaud what he is trying to do for the country. BUT, how does being the prime minister not make him a politician?

Same as Yingluck isn't a politician. I once helped a guy who'd been knocked off his motorbike, didn't make me a doctor.

Neither were trained politicians with oodles of empirical experience. Neither were used to making the weasley, patronizing, lots of words no meaning, double speak associated with most of the so called "world leaders".

poor anology, helping someone, or gave them medical treatment as in First Aid? No it doesn't make you a Doctor, it makes you a first responder who clearly knew what they were doing other wise you'd not have gon to their aid.

If you put yourself forwards for the PM's position when there were no objections, then you had damn well better now what you're doing, it isn't a game, and it's utter crap that the General doesn't know how to be a Politician, how do you think he got to the position he was in when he put the coup into motion? Senior Staff officers have to deal with Politicians, and the General has been dealing with them for decades, so spare us the "he doesn't know much about politics and how to be a politician.. baloney!!

• Like 2

There is a high profile Thai person with a home in Pattaya, and periodically the hi-so hangers on flock down there to... hang on.

Once while sitting in Au Bon Pain in Royal Garden while eating my croissant and breakfast coffee I was astonished to see a large group of chauffeur driven blue haired brigade ladies out to view the farangs.

Their comments...

The mindset...

Farang ladies also like to wear bikinis to the beach, or totally nude where applicable. And this behavior has nothing whatsoever to do with being murdered with a hoe on Koh Tao.

That is not a nice thing to say about Thai people. Also unnecessary in this thread.

Completely true though. After 18 years I still get sick of 'Oh look, the farang can eat gaeng som!' blink.png

It's sticky rice for me. WOW HE CAN EAT STICKY RICE! Well...yeah, it's not exactly super exotic is it?

Nicky, have you thought about calling the PM's office and asking to be their spokesperson? As all I've seen you do on these recent threads is to be an apologist for the General/PM for his lack of tact and diplomacy and "people" skills wink.png

Well Haggis, we Westerner's are used to a more "polished" approach from our usually toady patronizing insincere politicians some of whom can speak for hours without saying anything.

I know someone who when asked "how are things" by his local, government minister MP, replied "oh, the wife and family all got killed last week". The reaction " that's good then" and on to press some more flesh. All an act, no attempt to listen or relate to what's actually being said. Like when Brownie, forgot his mic was still on when slagging off some poor old lady who'd given him a hard time. And they are experienced, trained, "professional" politicians.

Thais also see things differently. They can, from conversations I've had with lawyers and police, take the perspective that putting yourself in harms way, choosing to be somewhere, or do something, that could cause an issue, then carries some of the blame. We don't see it that way at all.

Politicians hire spin doctors - and we from the UK saw just how ethical some of those are. Here, they don't seem to concerned with what they say so much, or how it's interpreted.

The limitations of removing accountable democracy are becoming very apparent.

This has absolutely nothing to do with democracy... Unless there was a vote on to just to rape... or to rape and kill. Perhaps there was a vote on which instrument of death they were to use?

Looks like democracy won out on this one if one followed you're idiotic post.

This has everything to do with democracy. The head of a military junta, who no-one elected, is running his mouth and doing further damage to the country's tourist industry. And Thai people (many of whom depend on tourism for their livelihoods) can't vote him out until when / if he decides that the country is "ready for elections".

So far the majority of Thais like him. Over 84% in latest pols. And...since he is especially liked among people in Bangkok and the South, I think your statement about tourism and voting him out doesn't make sense. Merely wish full thinking.

Nicky, have you thought about calling the PM's office and asking to be their spokesperson? As all I've seen you do on these recent threads is to be an apologist for the General/PM for his lack of tact and diplomacy and "people" skills wink.png

Well Haggis, we Westerner's are used to a more "polished" approach from our usually toady patronizing insincere politicians some of whom can speak for hours without saying anything.

I know someone who when asked "how are things" by his local, government minister MP, replied "oh, the wife and family all got killed last week". The reaction " that's good then" and on to press some more flesh. All an act, no attempt to listen or relate to what's actually being said. Like when Brownie, forgot his mic was still on when slagging off some poor old lady who'd given him a hard time. And they are experienced, trained, "professional" politicians.

Thais also see things differently. They can, from conversations I've had with lawyers and police, take the perspective that putting yourself in harms way, choosing to be somewhere, or do something, that could cause an issue, then carries some of the blame. We don't see it that way at all.

Politicians hire spin doctors - and we from the UK saw just how ethical some of those are. Here, they don't seem to concerned with what they say so much, or how it's interpreted.

"Thais also see things differently. They can, from conversations I've had with lawyers and police, take the perspective that putting yourself in harms way, choosing to be somewhere, or do something, that could cause an issue, then carries some of the blame. We don't see it that way at all"

Very good point. The concept of carrying some of the blame is very difficult to grasp for foreigners. We would read that as: it's your own fault.

Foreigners who have been around might know this. Prayuth should have known that.

It happened yesterday by the way. As for his comments, maybe Thai people don't translate his comments the same way some hysterical posters here do. Haven't heard anything negative from my Thai Friends and Family. In what language did he speak when he said those things I hear from you and your fellow posters?

Don't be so obtuse. It's been obvious from the seizure he wants to roll this country back to some Golden Age, preferably prehistoric.

Tjeez man, get real. Prehistoric?

Forgo that nice baby aircraft carrier, all those tanks, denying those unknowns their grenades? That would be inhuman.

I don't know how many you can post within a 24 hour period Nicky, I'm 4 hours behind Thai time, at the moment, and another spot on post from yourself.

I personally don't believe it was the Generals intention to come over the way he did, only he himself will know if he meant what he says, I am a firm believer in say what you mean and mean what you say. It's also a very emotive time as well, as this was a particular brutal assault, and I'd like to see the PM take action against the RTP personnel who posted the murder scene pictures on their facebook pages..

Thais do love their gore, a bit like the Arabs here in Iraq, we Westerners reel in horror at such news reports and pictures because we have a sensitive and sanitised media reporting, many times I turn on the TV at home and see fatalities on the TV and I ask my wife, why they show the pictures and all she said was why not? I think she had a point.

Their comments...

The mindset...

Sad for you. Never had these issues in 30 years. Thais in general never made me sick.

and Thai Generals?

Well, thanks for sharing your opinion with us here tonight.

In the mean time those of us concentrating on the topic, really start lamenting the fact we have to do without Ms. Yingluck who always had a kind word and gave the impression to say something political correct even without her morning coffee. Her handpicked men (the ones in her cabinet) helped her of course, as much as they could. Reminds me of Chumphol Silapa-Archa who in 2012 mentioned that a rape couldn't be called such as the victim had had dinner with the perpetrator.

I don't think Ms. Yingluck showed him the door over this 'minor mishap', he was only Minister of Tourism anyway.

• Like 1

What we have here is a somewhat conservative man expressing his opinion which since he's PM he shouldn't. As politician he still has much to learn.

Then maybe he shouldn't have become PM, or at least not done so until he could get qualified enough for the job to be able to get elected by the Thai people.

He didn't want to, he was persuaded that the country needed him, a non-politician rather than someone of the lot which couldn't even agree on the colour of an orange if their life depended on it.

Mind you, with all good intentions and the very helpful suggestions of especially TVF members he might improve to the point of being the favorite again for the position late next year.

I take it you don't believe anything Suthep said about them having planned the coup together for years?

I believe that as much as Thaksin being sincere in telling his Pheu Thai party and his UDD leaders to be kind to the general and give him a chance.

Well, thanks for sharing your opinion with us here tonight.

In the mean time those of us concentrating on the topic, really start lamenting the fact we have to do without Ms. Yingluck who always had a kind word and gave the impression to say something political correct even without her morning coffee. Her handpicked men (the ones in her cabinet) helped her of course, as much as they could. Reminds me of Chumphol Silapa-Archa who in 2012 mentioned that a rape couldn't be called such as the victim had had dinner with the perpetrator.

I don't think Ms. Yingluck showed him the door over this 'minor mishap', he was only Minister of Tourism anyway.

If Yingluck ever screwed up badly enough, then the electorate would always be able to vote her out at the next polls. The same cannot be said for an unelected military junta.