Thai PM questions if 'tourists in bikinis' safe after Koh Tao murders

webfact

One more highlight for tourist. wear your bikini at your own risk. What is going on over here

I believe the first bikini was worn in 1946 ( almost 70 yrs ago) and became hugely popular in the 50's some 60+ yrs ago and society just simply adjusted.

In Australia when you go to the beach they have signs stating crocodiles and box jelly fish can kill you.

Maybe Thailand should erect signs stating the wearing of Bikinis can result in death on Thai beachs.

Ironically in the 1941 mandates Thai women were discouraged from having short hair and having bare breasts.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Prayuth, there MIGHT be a time for those reflections/observations. However, now is the time for expressing regret/sympathy/horror rather than some lame, half-arsed "blame the victim" approach. Not nice.

He isn't really a politician, now is he ?

Don't get me wrong, I admire and applaud what he is trying to do for the country. BUT, how does being the prime minister not make him a politician?

Just because your cronies appoint you as prime minister does not make you a real politician. Understanding politics makes you a politician.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I admire and applaud what he is trying to do for the country. BUT, how does being the prime minister not make him a politician?

Same as Yingluck isn't a politician. I once helped a guy who'd been knocked off his motorbike, didn't make me a doctor.

Neither were trained politicians with oodles of empirical experience. Neither were used to making the weasley, patronizing, lots of words no meaning, double speak associated with most of the so called "world leaders".

poor anology, helping someone, or gave them medical treatment as in First Aid? No it doesn't make you a Doctor, it makes you a first responder who clearly knew what they were doing other wise you'd not have gon to their aid.

If you put yourself forwards for the PM's position when there were no objections, then you had damn well better now what you're doing, it isn't a game, and it's utter crap that the General doesn't know how to be a Politician, how do you think he got to the position he was in when he put the coup into motion? Senior Staff officers have to deal with Politicians, and the General has been dealing with them for decades, so spare us the "he doesn't know much about politics and how to be a politician.. baloney!!

Organizational politics exist in all types of organization. Some of the most "political" organizations I've been associated with were martial arts bodies in the UK - even worse than local football clubs! Business organizations, NGO's, schools, all have political elements to their individual culture.

Military has its own unique cultures - navy, army, air force, regiments all have their own, and sub cultures within units etc.

Being part of those, and rising to senior levels in any of them requires an awareness of politics and some skills.

However, to suggest they are on a par with "professional" politicians, backed up by research teams and spin doctors is indeed baloney!

Gosh, we seem to have a whole new crowd of critics; Fobuff 129 posts, 2fishin2 161 posts, triplebank999 172 posts, Thailandnoob 264 posts, SirBser 25 posts, Fred Flinstone 9 posts, (Fred I must tell you, your style reminds me of Wanda Sloan)

and Lildragon 109 posts.

Welcome aboard, by the way what happened to the last bunch? I miss Moonao, my personal favorite, he could get the "thug" word into a post 3 or 4 times. Ahh the good old days!

Most of these made my ignore list, three pages long now... smile.png

• Like 1

Thirty million Thais have been raped for their democratic institutions. But it is kind of the General to be concerned about the Koh Tao murders because of the bad publicity it gives Thailand.

Oh come on, no one needs these theatrics. Even the fanatic posters try to avoid mentioning the "respect a vote till it's counted" rhetoric.

I don't know how many you can post within a 24 hour period Nicky, I'm 4 hours behind Thai time, at the moment, and another spot on post from yourself.

I personally don't believe it was the Generals intention to come over the way he did, only he himself will know if he meant what he says, I am a firm believer in say what you mean and mean what you say. It's also a very emotive time as well, as this was a particular brutal assault, and I'd like to see the PM take action against the RTP personnel who posted the murder scene pictures on their facebook pages..

Thais do love their gore, a bit like the Arabs here in Iraq, we Westerners reel in horror at such news reports and pictures because we have a sensitive and sanitised media reporting, many times I turn on the TV at home and see fatalities on the TV and I ask my wife, why they show the pictures and all she said was why not? I think she had a point.

"Only he himself will know what he said.."

What Prayuth said in Thai was meant for Thais and is not seen as something wrong among the Thai population (as far as I can find out). At the same time the foreign minister offered his condolences in English (in writing) to the British Foreign Secretary and also mentioned Prayuth. All happened yesterday afternoon. Is there really a need to speculate on what he said?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bangkok-sent-condolences-to-families-of-slain-Brit-30243512.html

Just because your cronies appoint you as prime minister does not make you a real politician. Understanding politics makes you a politician.

Please note the topic is not on some inexperienced woman who had her brother tell his PMs that he wanted her as PM.

The red apologists will love this 'un!! facepalm.gif

Isn't it simply amazing that even a brutal murder of British Holiday makers can be spun into this red/yellow shirt drivel!!

The General needs to go and do a PR course as he's not doing himself, or the image of Thailand with his comments, I suppose you are in complete agreement with him seeing as you've offered an opinion as to whether he was right or not?

You will be amazed how many Thai people like him for being straightforward. He might not a good diplomat but he isn't sneaky neither. And I haven't heard him say that often that people should go to the relevant authorize for answers.

Again, let the Thai people decide whether or not he has good intentions.

Very difficult seeing they aren't allowed to vote or voice criticisms. Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

Military coup, Junta, President for life = no next election.

(Well, no election with anyone else standing)

Well, thanks for sharing your opinion with us here tonight.

In the mean time those of us concentrating on the topic, really start lamenting the fact we have to do without Ms. Yingluck who always had a kind word and gave the impression to say something political correct even without her morning coffee. Her handpicked men (the ones in her cabinet) helped her of course, as much as they could. Reminds me of Chumphol Silapa-Archa who in 2012 mentioned that a rape couldn't be called such as the victim had had dinner with the perpetrator.

I don't think Ms. Yingluck showed him the door over this 'minor mishap', he was only Minister of Tourism anyway.

If Yingluck ever screwed up badly enough, then the electorate would always be able to vote her out at the next polls. The same cannot be said for an unelected military junta.

Well, to be fair she tried with the "respect your vote till its counted" campaign, but too many no longer seemed to believe that. Even with all groups together and the general looking over their shoulder politicians couldn't agree on anything. Maybe only agreed that the others were to be blamed.

The red apologists will love this 'un!! facepalm.gif

Isn't it simply amazing that even a brutal murder of British Holiday makers can be spun into this red/yellow shirt drivel!!

The General needs to go and do a PR course as he's not doing himself, or the image of Thailand with his comments, I suppose you are in complete agreement with him seeing as you've offered an opinion as to whether he was right or not?

You will be amazed how many Thai people like him for being straightforward. He might not a good diplomat but he isn't sneaky neither. And I haven't heard him say that often that people should go to the relevant authorize for answers.

Again, let the Thai people decide whether or not he has good intentions.

Very difficult seeing they aren't allowed to vote or voice criticisms.
Then strangely enough most pols and indexes show that the public and companies haven't been this positive since a long time. I really hope there is a way for Prayuth to join the elections next year.

Same as Yingluck isn't a politician. I once helped a guy who'd been knocked off his motorbike, didn't make me a doctor.

Neither were trained politicians with oodles of empirical experience. Neither were used to making the weasley, patronizing, lots of words no meaning, double speak associated with most of the so called "world leaders".

poor anology, helping someone, or gave them medical treatment as in First Aid? No it doesn't make you a Doctor, it makes you a first responder who clearly knew what they were doing other wise you'd not have gon to their aid.

If you put yourself forwards for the PM's position when there were no objections, then you had damn well better now what you're doing, it isn't a game, and it's utter crap that the General doesn't know how to be a Politician, how do you think he got to the position he was in when he put the coup into motion? Senior Staff officers have to deal with Politicians, and the General has been dealing with them for decades, so spare us the "he doesn't know much about politics and how to be a politician.. baloney!!

Organizational politics exist in all types of organization. Some of the most "political" organizations I've been associated with were martial arts bodies in the UK - even worse than local football clubs! Business organizations, NGO's, schools, all have political elements to their individual culture.

Military has its own unique cultures - navy, army, air force, regiments all have their own, and sub cultures within units etc.

Being part of those, and rising to senior levels in any of them requires an awareness of politics and some skills.

However, to suggest they are on a par with "professional" politicians, backed up by research teams and spin doctors is indeed baloney!

I wouldn't call any politician a professional, as they all came from different backgrounds, and entered politics through choice, many are lawyers, Doctors etc, especially in the UK, now.. Thailand isn't disimilar with many Politicians coming from the same types of backgrounds too, they all had careers elsewhere before entering politics..

And heaven forbid I was suggesting they were on par with UK "Professional Politicians" has a sort of weird conotation to that, is there such a thing as a non professional one?

So Thailand cabinet Ministers and politicians don't have deputies and assistants then? if that is the case, then there is definately a case to answer on the Bosch Microphone deal then, as they had quite a lot on order, compared to the amount of cabinet members ;)

Do you honestly believe that the General/PM doesn't have his own spin doctors, and researchers and assistants??

General Prayuth, there MIGHT be a time for those reflections/observations. However, now is the time for expressing regret/sympathy/horror rather than some lame, half-arsed "blame the victim" approach. Not nice.

Not the right man in the right place then, you mean? He's PM, there are no political parties involved, but when he'd have no sense of 'politeia', only of military strategies, I'm not sure at all the land would be well set... But I'm personally convinced he IS a politician, and a shrude one, wait and see till it becomes known what 'deals' he has already made, even with the devil(s)... Fingers crossed he doesn't burn himself, and the country, doing so...

Soap and brush for the general's mouth here! Look at the country, and the MILLIONS living from (the officially non-existing) prostitution, so what, non-Thai ladies, and Thais(!), in bikinis on the beach(!), no good? Oh, my, there's a bold crazy monk and his fanatic followers very happy on their TV channel tonight... Was that maybe the target, to 'recuperate' the 3 million members of that 'army' of brainwashed followers? Politics?

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Obama doesn't open his mouth unless a teleprompter is nearby!

Very unfortunate sound-bite from a good man who undoubtedly has the best of intentions.

I guess Obama must have a teleprompter at every news conference all filled in with the questions he will be asked by the reporters and an answer.

Now back to the story which is not about Obama.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand yesterday sent condolences to families of two British backpackers who were killed on resort island of Koh Tao off Surat Thani province on Monday.

"On this particular case, General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of Thailand, has personally instructed the relevant Thai authorities to tighten security measures in the area," said Tanasak who is also deputy premier.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bangkok-sent-condolences-to-families-of-slain-Brit-30243512.html
Damage control to try and cover up for the P.M

The P.M needs to come out and make a personal public apology for his offensive comments.
It happened yesterday by the way. As for his comments, maybe Thai people don't translate his comments the same way some hysterical posters here do. Haven't heard anything negative from my Thai Friends and Family. In what language did he speak when he said those things I hear from you and your fellow posters?

"... maybe Thai people don't translate his comments the same way some hysterical posters here do." blink.png

As far as I can see, the TV posters aren't translating anything.

We, at least I am, are reading what the Thai have translated to English. wai2.gifwai.gif

This is going to go down a bundle with the press.

Maybe they should issue burkas for the tourists at the airport. Someone please shut this numpty up. Obviously they were asking for it, because they were wearing swimming costumes on a beach. Obviously, the reason why red light districts have naked girls swinging around poles in doors is for their own safety.

So, by this numptys' definition, tourists should not expect to come to Thailand and where standard beach uniform for fear of their own safety.

Someone please shut this numpty up. Yes someone please do.

"Obviously they were asking for it, because they were wearing swimming costumes on a beach."

They were killed in the early hours of the morning after leaving a bar together where they had spent the evening, do you really think they were wearing their swimming "costumes"?

Its quite customary for late night beach partying for people to wear swimming costumes. Or is the statement meaning that they should have been safe if they were wearing jeans.....

Customary or not, she wasn't wearing a bikini or any type of swimming clothes in the photo of the body I saw. For the record, neither was she naked.

He could have said no, and reitired from the Army in September and took up fishing or butterlfly collecting nobody put a gun to his head... WHO persuaded him?

- his conscience

- all he has stood for in his army life

- some unnamed people

- Suthep, Thaksin and so

- TFV members

Need I continue this list?

"- TFV members". What? Are you insane?

Sorry, a typo. That should read "TVF" as in "Thai Visa Forum" wai.gif

Yes, I'm aware of that but that wasn't my point.

The general was stating what many Thai people think. Some people think they are in anything-goes farangland. They're not. Thailand is an outwardly conservative place despite what goes on behind closed doors.

Many Thais admire the general's straight talking and many will agree with him.

This is going to go down a bundle with the press.

Maybe they should issue burkas for the tourists at the airport. Someone please shut this numpty up. Obviously they were asking for it, because they were wearing swimming costumes on a beach. Obviously, the reason why red light districts have naked girls swinging around poles in doors is for their own safety.

So, by this numptys' definition, tourists should not expect to come to Thailand and where standard beach uniform for fear of their own safety.

Someone please shut this numpty up. Yes someone please do.

"Obviously they were asking for it, because they were wearing swimming costumes on a beach."

They were killed in the early hours of the morning after leaving a bar together where they had spent the evening, do you really think they were wearing their swimming "costumes"?

Its quite customary for late night beach partying for people to wear swimming costumes. Or is the statement meaning that they should have been safe if they were wearing jeans.....

Customary or not, she wasn't wearing a bikini or any type of swimming clothes in the photo of the body I saw. For the record, neither was she naked.

Reportedly they found a sarong and clothing nearby. Indeed, why he brought up bikinis specifically, who knows.

It just hit the British press than NONE of the suspects are a DNA match to any of the suspects.

• Like 1

"Welcome to Thailand, don't worry about martial law, you may be murdered if you wear a bikini, and there may or may not be a crackdown on alcohol promotions and opening hours for bars. Have fun but watch what you say and leave your copy of "1984" at home."

This could be a tough sell, TAT has its work cut out for it.

• Like 2

The amazing thing about this sad story is that we
are fed bits and pieces of information that are
partial and impossible to reconcile.
I say this while noting that the investigations are
actually moving very fast, no doubt under pressure
from the international spotlight.

they were naked. she had a bikini top. she had no bikini.

they were killed with the hoe. no with a rock. no he drowned.

no he died from the wound to the head.

she was raped. there was no sexual intercourse. there was
sex but without rape. she had sperm in her vagina and anus.

asian guy. three migrant workers. six migrant workers.
held. released. one briton. two friends in bangkok.

blood on his clothes. no varnish.

the island was locked down. the first ferry left regularly.

all the friends are asked to stay in thailand. the three
girl friends are escorted to the airport

and so on...

Until all this mess is cleared and we see the whole picture
and hopefully the responsible(s) apprehended, I for one will
refrain from passing judgements and wage a war of cultures.

Hes not the general anymore hes the PM, which means he is supposed to have political savvy and some level of diplomacy and you would hope sense of tact and sympathy.

These comments as a PM example to the world and face of (politically ) Thailand.....

This is the role he chose, he has made these comments to the world, not over a minor incident but a double gruesome murder on a tourist Island... Amazing Thailand tourist destination no 1 family friendly land of smiles.

Now everyone has been told its anything but safe... and what you wear when on a tourist paradise island 30 yards from your bungalow 50 meters from a police station and similar from the bar you were drinking in depending on if your ugly means..... ie your not safe.....

the PM just told the world .. in Thailand even in one of the main tourists areas. a paradise island..... your not safe to go out for a stroll in front of your bungalow especially in a bikini unless your butt ugly... maybe. ..... even though we pretend you are in all the brochures and information sold to the world...

Nice one facepalm.gif

To me he just made Thailand as a nation lose face big time..........internationally.

His comments are being quoted in the press here with a combination of bemusement and incredulity. Some papers are even editing them to sound a bit better.

He's a pooyai. It won't even cross his mind for a second he may have offended anyone. Meanwhile, I am sure the international diplomatic circles just giggle at Thai incompetence once again.

Hes not the general anymore hes the PM, which means he is supposed to have political savvy and some level of diplomacy and you would hope sense of tact and sympathy.

These comments as a PM example to the world and face of (politically ) Thailand.....

This is the role he chose, he has made these comments to the world, not over a minor incident but a double gruesome murder on a tourist Island... Amazing Thailand tourist destination no 1 family friendly land of smiles.

Now everyone has been told its anything but safe... and what you wear when on a tourist paradise island 30 yards from your bungalow 50 meters from a police station and similar from the bar you were drinking in depending on if your ugly means..... ie your not safe.....

the PM just told the world .. in Thailand even in one of the main tourists areas. a paradise island..... your not safe to go out for a stroll in front of your bungalow especially in a bikini unless your butt ugly... maybe. ..... even though we pretend you are in all the brochures and information sold to the world...

Nice one facepalm.gif

To me he just made Thailand as a nation lose face big time..........internationally.

His comments are being quoted in the press here with a combination of bemusement and incredulity. Some papers are even editing them to sound a bit better.

He's a pooyai. It won't even cross his mind for a second he may have offended anyone. Meanwhile, I am sure the international diplomatic circles just giggle at Thai incompetence once again.

I'm not sure that giggle is the correct verb.

so the General thinks that wearing a swimsuit on an island beach might be going too far.

and the Thai police seem to be investigating burmese and falang, ... but no Thai people. That sounds about right.

No wonder this tragedy has turned into a huge embarrassment for Thailand.