Security to be enhanced on Koh Tao following murder of two British tourists

webfact

Security to be enhanced in Koh Tao following murder of two tourists

PNSOC570918001002303.jpg

SURAT THANI, 18 September 2014 (NNT) - The Surat Thani governor has ordered beefing up of security measures in Koh Tao following the gruesome murder of two young British backpackers that happened on the night of September 12.

Surat Thani governor Chatpong Chatphut has expressed his condolences over the murder case and has vowed to establish safety for all tourists.

He stated that over the past two years, there has never been a single violent incident on the normally peaceful island of Koh Tao. Nonetheless, Mr. Chatpong is willing to apply certain laws on the island to prevent repetition of a similar tragedy.

Tourists have been requested to avoid venturing into dimly-lit areas from 6:00pm onwards for their own safety. CCTV cameras are to be installed across areas that are prone to criminal activities.

From now on, Koh Tao would only allow the Full Moon Party celebrations to be held, whereas the Half Moon Party and the Black Moon Party would no longer be permitted on the island.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-18 footer_n.gif

london a major metropolitan area inhabited by 8.3 Million people

koh tao: tiny island with 2100 population

I have also travelled to every province in Thailand and never felt threatened. The same applied in BKK a major metropolitan area. It isn't just about the numbers my friend. You Quote the so called population, what about all the tourists ?

And all Thais that have their Thabien Bahn in other provinces and the Burmese guest workers.

Koh Samui has a population of 63,000 and an annual tourist population of 1.5 million.

• Like 1

i stand by my point.

and i'll add, if its so safe why has security to be bulked up?

why are pretty girls advised now not to wear bikinis?

why are we now advised to avoid dimly lit areas after 6pm?

and why the xxxx are we being told this now?

i'm glad you guys feel safe with your windows open, after 8 years on samui and multiple burglaries later i sure as hell wouldn't

Edited by ColdSingha
  • Like 2

I first came to Koh Tao in 2003. I have lived and worked there many times since. At no time have I ever felt threaten or in danger for my safety in any way. I can't say the same for the area i lived in when living in South London. yes there is some crime here as there is everywhere but generally it is small time opportunistic theft and violent crime is a rarity.

If I remember right last weekend in london around 7 young people were stabbed or shot to death on the streets.

Yes this event is tragic and the parents must be going through hell but try and keep things in perspective here.

RIP the two young people.

perspective? as in..

- and half a million tourists a year...

I first came to Koh Tao in 2003. I have lived and worked there many times since. At no time have I ever felt threaten or in danger for my safety in any way. I can't say the same for the area i lived in when living in South London. yes there is some crime here as there is everywhere but generally it is small time opportunistic theft and violent crime is a rarity.

If I remember right last weekend in london around 7 young people were stabbed or shot to death on the streets.

Yes this event is tragic and the parents must be going through hell but try and keep things in perspective here.

Comparing Koh Tao to London is a bit of a stretch.

Better to compare it to maybe the Isle of Man!

It is the fact that it is so exceptional that has made people sit up.

• Like 2

I have also travelled to every province in Thailand and never felt threatened. The same applied in BKK a major metropolitan area. It isn't just about the numbers my friend. You Quote the so called population, what about all the tourists ?

And all Thais that have their Thabien Bahn in other provinces and the Burmese guest workers.

Koh Samui has a population of 63,000 and an annual tourist population of 1.5 million.

Please point out all these people because every day when I drive towards Chaweng I do not see them having lived here for more than 5 years I believe the number living on the island as well as tourists has declined. Those who came from the North to work are going back home on a daily basis and businesses are struggling Central Plaza has not even been open a years and already I have noticed the closure of 6 small shops located near the food hall !!!!

Well, I employ 9 Thai staff. Only 2 have a Samui Tabien Baan. The others are all 'migrant' workers.They have all been working with me for more than two years. The longest, 13 years now, applied for her Samui Tabien Baan about 5 years ago.

sorry.gifofftopic.gif (slightly)

Edited by Tropicalevo

perspective? as in..

and your point is?

Or did you forget to type the bit that reads

Koh Tao - one major incident in years (if not forever?).

South London - multiple major incidents every week!!!

My wife and I moved to SE Asia over twenty years ago. In our home towns (Slough and Birmingham) threatened and mugged a number of times.

Thailand - nothing! We have never even felt nervous. We do not even shut our windows at night - unless it is raining!

Lived in Birmingham 50 years never been mugged or assaulted

(Edited by someone... Message gone!!)

Just as I thought!!

I will try again!....

<deleted>!!

Meanwhile Thai Girls... Women.... Ladies..... Ladyboys....... Can Parade around 1/2 to 3/4 % Naked at Schools.. Shopping Malls... On the back of Motorcycles.... at the Markets..... on the Beach and nothing is happening? I think "Not That it had anything to do with "Bikinis"!!!

More the fact the color of their skin... This is why Thailand has such a high end market for Skin Whiteners..... Maybe the best answer would be to require all tourst's to under go 2-3 weeks of Daily Tanning Salon appointments... "To tan their Bodies".... Or just maybe that was their reasoning for Booking a "Sun Holiday" in Thailand....

Lighter side... If he was wearing a Bikini.... I am so sure of it being the reason for the attack!

Yaaa.... Rightttt...!

I would not put so much pressure on searching for Males who might have been the agressor! Look at Females too!! Could have been slighted and in an aftertone of resentment unleashed a high pitch of Thai Anger!!! Just maybe when approached was because of what was being observed!!

But Give me a Break!! Had nothing to do with the wearing of a bikini!

Anyone can take lets say 25 Women from Europe and the matching number from Thailand... Who are we going to look at if you dressed them all in the same so called, Sexy... Bikini?

Sure as hell not going to spend much time gazing at anyone from United Kingdom...

Get my point.... Why most of us came here anyway... Right?

Also is regards to DNA...

Fact: We should know....

Where owner of sample is from... (Asian... American...Europian...)

Sex of Owner of Sample... (Male... Female... or if High Hormone Content... Possible Katoy?)

Now before you contaminate sample if you cannot or do not have these answers right now... We have plenty of High Standards Hospitals with Doctors Even Visiting Doctors from other Countries here on Loan... who can complete this endeavor!

If you need help.... Ask for it! If you don't have the Basic answers to the above simple questions... "You Need Help"

But again.... "Had really nothing to do with whatever they were wearing...." Be it fully clothed or a Bikini....

• Like 1

perspective? as in..

and your point is?

My wife and I moved to SE Asia over twenty years ago. In our home towns (Slough and Birmingham) threatened and mugged a number of times.

Thailand - nothing! We have never even felt nervous. We do not even shut our windows at night - unless it is raining!

Let me be the first to say it Slough ??? , what springs to mind....

Exactly....

I also don't feel threatened in Thailand, but I would not like to cross,any of the Locals, as they all seem to be rockets waiting to explode....

Just my two cents worth...

perspective? as in..

and your point is?

"We have never even felt nervous."

whistling.gifPfffffff I do not believe you

...I'm sure when reading "some" posts on TV you definitely feel nervous wink.png

Other than that I am bound to believe you because I feel exactly the same, never never was I threatened by a Thai, or did have I anything stolen, unfortunately I cannot say the same for my poor countrysad.png

The Thai Prime Minister may appear old-fashioned and even sexist by Western standards, but he has a point. Koh Tao is not Brighton or Bondi Beach or Benidorm, where you can let it nearly all hang out with impunity.

Thai people are modest and self-effacing by nature and individuals who appear to be flaunting their sexuality are commonly regarded as either prostitutes or people of low morality, irrespective of whether they are nationals or foreigners.

A respectable Thai woman would not be seen dead wearing a bikini on a public beach, let alone going topless as some tourists do. Routinely Thai men and women bathe in the sea fully clothed, partly to offset the risk of stings from jelly fish in season, but more generally because it is considered unseemly to expose a lot of naked flesh.

Kissing and fondling in public, which many Westerners regard as normal behavior, is also frowned upon and can have an inflammatory effect on Thai men, many of whom are heavy drinkers and drug takers.

There is no excuse, with all the guide books and internet advice available, for not knowing about the inherent dangers of the Land of Smiles and how to avoid them. The golden rule for visitors and residents alike is "When in Rome. . . "

Ok, can I ask you then who is working in all the Seedy bars and clubs in Thailand ??? And all the rest that goes on that Joe Bloggs knows nothing about ???

That's why quality tourists come to Thailand.... If you don't believe me have a trip down Soi Cowboy, that will DEFINETLY finish off your education..

...and still two people lie dead awaiting the system to track, trace, arrest, convict...

Most of the above 'drivel' is entertaining. Yet again CSI Singha/Leo/Chang swings in to solve absolutely nothing, other than satisfy your own poised position...it's <deleted>, but you will make it run and run as usual...

...and still two people lie dead awaiting the system to track, trace, arrest, convict...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Thai Prime Minister may appear old-fashioned and even sexist by Western standards, but he has a point. Koh Tao is not Brighton or Bondi Beach or Benidorm, where you can let it nearly all hang out with impunity.

Thai people are modest and self-effacing by nature and individuals who appear to be flaunting their sexuality are commonly regarded as either prostitutes or people of low morality, irrespective of whether they are nationals or foreigners.

A respectable Thai woman would not be seen dead wearing a bikini on a public beach, let alone going topless as some tourists do. Routinely Thai men and women bathe in the sea fully clothed, partly to offset the risk of stings from jelly fish in season, but more generally because it is considered unseemly to expose a lot of naked flesh.

Kissing and fondling in public, which many Westerners regard as normal behavior, is also frowned upon and can have an inflammatory effect on Thai men, many of whom are heavy drinkers and drug takers.

There is no excuse, with all the guide books and internet advice available, for not knowing about the inherent dangers of the Land of Smiles and how to avoid them. The golden rule for visitors and residents alike is "When in Rome. . . "

So when in Thailand you should become a heavy drinker and drug taker? Just like a rocket ready to explode?

There is no excuse for getting murdered on the beach? Like you should know it was coming or something?

There is no excuse for people who are heavy drinkers and drug users exploding and killing people on the beach...

He stated that over the past two years, there has never been a single violent incident on the normally peaceful island of Koh Tao.

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2014/09/17/islander-who-was-glassed-in-murder-island-koh-tao-tells-of-his-lucky-escape

The level of ignorance, that he conveyed in that statement is unfathomable. It would have been one thing, had he said we have never had a double murder, perpetrated upon foreigners before, in Koh Tao. But, to say there has not been any violence in the past two years on Koh Tao? What can one say about this? Perhaps he should review the police blotter (if there is such a thing).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

perspective? as in..

What about them? Low season, I would guess a few hundred, maybe thousand.

• Like 1