Why on earth do people from west come here to earn 30-45k to each English

Lukecan

The Op has been on this forum for 3 days. Of course he may have lived in Bangkok for considerably longer that that, but judging by his posts I doubt it. 3K baht a day he says he has spent, not including accommodation. Let's say he spends 5K a day at his present lifestyle. That's 150K a month. That's $50K a month. Pretty good going if you ask me. Of course we have no idea what he does for a living, is he a wealthy remittance man? who knows? but I find it strange that someone who being single and allegedly living a fairly high life would worry himself as to what an English teacher would earn. Being a bit of a bragging tosser comes to mind.

I'm not bragging about anything. Usually people relocate to lead a better standard of living, am I right? So many people bash Thailand on this forum for having a lame mentality and being a 3rd world corrupt country, yet they resort to teach here for peanuts, these are the same guys bashing this beautiful country 24/7, yet they stay here.

I love Thailand

I love Bangkok, especially the BTS

But I wouldn't relocate here unless I was paid a western wage or had a western income.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a peculiar thing to say.

The several people I know who teach English come from countries where it's hard to get a vocation in their chosen field. Rather than do a 9-5 in some shitty job and pay rent in a shitty suburb, they come to Thailand. Their life isn't lavish, but they get by and the 30-45,000 baht they make from their job is not the sole income they receive. They also get subsidised housing and paid to tutor, so all in all they are about 60-70,000 THB per month free and they are quite happy.

What a peculiar thing to say.

The several people I know who teach English come from countries where it's hard to get a vocation in their chosen field. Rather than do a 9-5 in some shitty job and pay rent in a shitty suburb, they come to Thailand. Their life isn't lavish, but they get by and the 30-45,000 baht they make from their job is not the sole income they receive. They also get subsidised housing and paid to tutor, so all in all they are about 60-70,000 THB per month free and they are quite happy.

Yet 1 out of 2 posts in this forum is bashing Thailand, browsing the Thailand news section for 5 mins gives you a good idea what the english teaching farang think of here.

Anyway I like your answer, 60-70k baht, makes it worthwhile to live here instead of living in some crap town in Norway,Sweden etc.

Thread can be locked.

OP..let's get this right

France is much much cheaper than Thailand, but unfortunately you travel with mummy and daddy and can't party. Maybe next time travel to France as an adult and see what it costs to have a comparative holiday. I'm sure that travelling with the parents didn't give you two objective holidays that you could compare.

.....if it's that expensive here then why come back?

Your budget is very much determined by you.

OP..let's get this right

France is much much cheaper than Thailand, but unfortunately you travel with mummy and daddy and can't party. Maybe next time travel to France as an adult and see what it costs to have a comparative holiday. I'm sure that travelling with the parents didn't give you two objective holidays that you could compare.

.....if it's that expensive here then why come back?

Your budget is very much determined by you.

Cause its worth every damn penny you spend mate. Having a good social circle helps as well. I like chaos, I'm tired of everyone trying to follow the rules in the west. I like it that Thais don't always play by the book.

Call me crazy, but I love the way of life here. People call it a 3rd world country, but it has all the luxuries that the west has, even a lamborghini dealership in siam paragon. Has a good healthcare system, people come here from the west to get treated.

The only thing thats missing is netflix.

Over 3000 baht per day? I'd like to see your daily balance sheet.

I'm not saying I know it all, I'm just certain you can't lead a decent western way standard of living here on 30-45k baht, decent 1 br condo starts from 20k baht.

By god I think you've sussed it! What makes you think we came here looking for a western standard of living? And what makes you think we came here to teach English? In my case, that was a decision made almost two years after I had been here.

My monthly expenses are probably around 12K (not including housing, same as in your OP) and I'm doing just fine.

Edited by attrayant

Over 3000 baht per day? I'd like to see your daily balance sheet.

I'm not saying I know it all, I'm just certain you can't lead a decent western way standard of living here on 30-45k baht, decent 1 br condo starts from 20k baht.

By god I think you've sussed it! What makes you think we came here looking for a western standard of living? And what makes you think we came here to teach English? In my case, that was a decision made almost two years after I had been here.

My monthly expenses are probably around 12K (not including housing, same as in your OP) and I'm doing just fine.

At least 1000 baht night out partying

Each meal 500 baht at least at siam paragon, sometimes 1000 baht

200-300-400 for taxi

the rest on misc stuff

Yeah I know I can eat for cheaper at mcdonalds, I hate mcdonalds tho.

You're describing a lifestyle that doesn't appeal to many (perhaps most) of us. That makes it quite easy to live on 30-45K a month.

Oh, and I liked this:

I'm not saying I know it all, I'm just certain...

I'm going to get T-shirts printed up.

I probably spent more than I should because I was vacationing, I don't know how to cook, so I'm going to have to eat outside. I'm muslim I don't eat pork, I hate chicken, I hate thai food, so going to steakhouses is my only choice I eat a lot of beef. And I don't understand why dining at good places won't appeal to most people, It would appeal to everyone. Whats the fun of living if you can dine at good places and party while your young?

Edited by Lukecan

The girls were with you because you spent money, and they got a cut of everything you spent.

Girl takes you to a club, she gets a cut.

Girl get in a taxi with you, she gets a cut.

Girl negotiates in Thai to but something, she tells them to up the price, she gets a cut.

Girl takes you to a hotel/resort, she gets a cut.

Whiskey in club scam.

Girl sits alone at table with bottle of whiskey on the table.

You ask to join her, bottle added to your bill, but taken back behind bar.

She eats and drinks all evening at your expense, and the waiter slips her half the whiskey bottle money.

Doesn't even need to sleep with you.

You edited your post, I'll re answer you.

I dated normal girls, some even paid for their own dinner even though I insisted to pay for them.

Route 66 is a high end club, they don't allow bariglrls in that place, its where normal girls, and some hi-so girls go to.

Maximum I've spent in a bar is 1000 baht, lets say she got 500 baht cut, I don't think any good looking hooker would sleep with you for 500 baht.

These girls had full-time jobs, one of them was an auditor at big4

So you spent 3000 Baht a day, which didn't include hotel expenses, nor hookers or even dinner for girls, and now you say the most you've spent in a bar was 1000 Baht.

Care to share where all that money went then ?

So you think you have gotten your Girls for free but I bet they squeeze as much if not more money out of you if you had paid for a Bar girls giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Don't be fooled you are a Tourist and Thais are experts at lightening Tourist wallets by overcharging etc.

BTW some people over here are far from what you used too, there not spending theirs lives racing to the top of the rat race or stressing over what they have or don't have.

When west meets easts is your answer!whistling.gif

The girls were with you because you spent money, and they got a cut of everything you spent.

Girl negotiates in Thai to but something, she tells them to up the price, she gets a cut.

Whiskey in club scam.

She eats and drinks all evening at your expense, and the waiter slips her half the whiskey bottle money.

I dated normal girls, some even paid for their own dinner even though I insisted to pay for them.

Route 66 is a high end club, they don't allow bariglrls in that place, its where normal girls, and some hi-so girls go to.

Maximum I've spent in a bar is 1000 baht, lets say she got 500 baht cut, I don't think any good looking hooker would sleep with you for 500 baht.

So you spent 3000 Baht a day, which didn't include hotel expenses, nor hookers or even dinner for girls, and now you say the most you've spent in a bar was 1000 Baht.

I've laid to the details above

My each meal was 500 baht at least, I ate dinner at steakhouses only, which cost around 1000 baht. I rarely ate at mcdonalds.

1000 partying

1000-1500 for meal

the other on misc stuff like taxi, and 7/11 occasional shopping

Since I was vacationing, I chose to eat at good places.

Lasagne at amici restaurant in Siam paragon costs at least 550thb with water

Good steak at a decent steakhouse costs at least 1000thb.

So you think you have gotten your Girls for free but I bet they squeeze as much if not more money out of you if you had paid for a Bar girls giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Don't be fooled you are a Tourist and Thais are experts at lightening Tourist wallets by overcharging etc.

BTW some people over here are far from what you used too, there not spending theirs lives racing to the top of the rat race or stressing over what they have or don't have.

When west meets easts is your answer!whistling.gif

For some girls I paid for dinner. I didn't buy any girl drinks, route 66 does not take commission from drinks, its not a go go bar so that point is invalid.

I pay for dinner in the west too, so I don't see a difference.

Seeing every thai girl as a whore is pathetic, these girls are normal people, none of them were prostitutes.

I don't eat pork, I hate chicken, I hate thai food, so going to steakhouses is my only choice I eat a lot of beef.

It sounds like Thailand might not have been the best choice for you. But - and you might want to sit down for this one - other people are not like you.

And I don't understand why dining at good places won't appeal to most people, It would appear to everyone.

You keep using subjective words like "good places". Yes I enjoy a good steak once in a while, but every night? Hell no. Variety is the spice of life. There's a Thai grill down the street from me that makes delicious pork and chicken steaks. They absolutely melt in my mouth. It even comes with grilled potatoes on the side and a salad. I bring my own dressing because I'm not a fan of the sweet mayonnaise they use here. The entire plate goes for 120 baht.

I think we can file this entire discussion under "I don't understand why other people don't like the same things I like".

Whats the fun of living if you can dine at good places and party while your young?

While my young what?

• Like 2

Whiskey in club scam.

I've laid to the details above

My each meal was 500 baht at least, I ate dinner at steakhouses only, which cost around 1000 baht. I rarely ate at mcdonalds.

1000 partying

1000-1500 for meal

the other on misc stuff like taxi, and 7/11 occasional shopping

Since I was vacationing, I chose to eat at good places.

Lasagne at amici restaurant in Siam paragon costs at least 550thb with water

Good steak at a decent steakhouse costs at least 1000thb.

Was Siam Paragon recommended eatery by your free girlies? O dear you very hansum man

I don't understand the hate against the poster. To each their own, I say. It's better than reading about the guy living on 8k baht a month in pattaya.

I agree

I hate the fact Pattaya is even part of Thailand. Its such a sess pool for degenerates. Good thing is they all congregate there though so us folks know where to avoid.

As for the guys that teach, I say why not. If you are having fun and feel you are helping more power to you. Better than sitting 24 hours a day in a bar bragging about what you have(But really don't most likely).

When I can finally get the hell out of the US and back to my home in Thailand I can relax again. But when there I do not teach and I am not a pensioner, I just do whatever I want when I want. I am to young yet to get the government cheese, can't wait though....laugh.png

Edited by JAFO

Please keep this topic, on topic, otherwise I'll need to close it smile.png

So why would someone come to Thailand, to teach English, for 30k-45k THB per month.....

1/ Teaching English in Thailand is a lifestyle choice, rather than a monetary choice. They teach because they enjoy teaching.

2/ The cost of living in Thailand is a lot lower than in western countries, as a result, 30-40k goes a lot further than you might think.

3/ Many come to live in Thailand, because they have a Thai wife or simply enjoy living in Thailand.

4/ Many people live and teach in Thailand, because they enjoy the respect which they are given by the locals.

Personally for myself, I originally came to live in Thailand because I wanted to try teaching, once I started teaching I enjoyed it so much that I decided to stay long term. After a couple of years, I met a nice girl and got married, so have an additional reason for living here.

Also @OP, you're saying that you're dining out at nice restaurants, partying every day and taking taxis + doing a bit of shopping every day. Would you do that everyday if you were back in your home country? Probably not, since unless you're in an amazing job, you couldn't do that + afford to travel to Thailand for a holiday lol.

So instead you'd probably be cooking at home, or eating out at cheaper restaurants, with the occasional expensive one thrown in on the weekends, much the same as what most teachers here do.

Likewise, you'd probably be putting some money away into savings each month, much the same as teachers here do.

If you're working in your home country, and you had a wife who didn't work + kids, you probably wouldn't be putting much/anything into savings each month, much the same as teachers here.

If you're single, you might put more away into savings, but you'd also probably be working 40h weeks instead of 18h weeks. If a teacher decided to do tutoring classes, so that they were doing 40h weeks, then they can almost double their income.

When you consider all of the above, does it really sound so crazy to live in Thailand?

Edit: Oh and I'm not talking about teaching in BKK. If I were to teach in BKK, I'd probably want at least 60k+, even then I might turn it down lol, as the increased cost of living isn't balanced by an increased standard of living (In comparison to the other provinces).

You've basically covered everything, thanks for the great informative post.

Wow big spender, 3K baht a day, glad you're good looking and can pull the chicks (or so you say). Glad you had a good time in LOS,with your 'just arrived know it all attitude'. I really don't think why what English teachers earn and why they do it is any of your business, but I dare say some will reply with an explanation.

I'm not saying I know it all, I'm just certain you can't lead a decent western way standard of living here on 30-45k baht, decent 1 br condo starts from 20k baht

If people from Bangladesh,India,Pakistan etc come I can understand, but people from UK,USA it makes me LOL

what makes you think they want to live according to your idea of a desired standard of living?

just went to places like levels,route 66 etc.

Route 66 is a crappy student club. It's not high end. Drunk students are not particularly hard to pull anywhere in the world.

Levels is a freelance hooker club masquerading as a high end club. You sure you didn't end up with freelancers?

And don't think because no money was asked for that means she wasn't a pro.

She might have assumed you knew the deal (you aren't that dumb are you?) and then when it became apparent you didn't in the morning she was too embarrassed and didn't want to lose face by bringing it up.

Don't think that wouldn't happen as it could. Never underestimate 'face' here and how Thai people will avoid conflict at all costs.

You don't need anything like 100K to live well in Bangkok either btw.

And as for why someone would come to work in Thailand for 40k a month. Many reasons - they like to teach, they like Thailand and want a means to stay here, there's no jobs back home etc.

In my home country minimum wage is only around 47,000B a month equivalent yet with first world prices so if you have the option of 47K in Europe or 40k in Thailand where the cost of living is much lower and the standard of living better then it makes sense.

I'm not a teacher, never have been, and never will be btw.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 1

Uhm no, most of them I met in the mall, had a coffee, took to my hotel room, and finished it.

Some even paid for their own dinner.

These were normal girls I met from tinder.

YEA YEA YEA, BLAH BLAH BLAH

just went to places like levels,route 66 etc.

Route 66 is a crappy student club. It's not high end. Drunk students are not particularly hard to pull anywhere in the world.

Levels is a freelance hooker club masquerading as a high end club. You sure you didn't end up with freelancers?

And don't think because no money was asked for that means she wasn't a pro.

She might have assumed you knew the deal (you aren't that dumb are you?) and then when it became apparent you didn't in the morning she was too embarrassed and didn't want to lose face by bringing it up.

Don't think that wouldn't happen as it could. Never underestimate 'face' here and how Thai people will avoid conflict at all costs.

You don't need anything like 100K to live well in Bangkok either btw.

And as for why someone would come to work in Thailand for 40k a month. Many reasons - they like to teach, they like Thailand and want a means to stay here, there's no jobs back home etc.

In my home country minimum wage is only around 47,000B a month equivalent yet with first world prices so if you have the option of 47K in Europe or 40k in Thailand where the cost of living is much lower and the standard of living better then it makes sense.

I'm not a teacher, never have been, and never will be btw.

hE DOES GO TO SOME DIVES FOR A YOUNG HANSUM MAN,WHO IS RICH TOO

Lukecan - I'm with you there about it not being as cheap as it's cracked up to be, though I wd agree there is the option to live on a lot less if one chooses.

Many people cannot get any sort of job in the west - I meet tourists from around the world with degrees (which was used to mask countries unemployment rates as in NZ, reason more Ph.Ds now with no jobs in sight). Met lots who head off for Asia to earn a living instead of getting a handout teaching ESOL "under the table".

Always the opportunity for an enterprising westerner to replicate something which worked in own country, yet might be new business model in Thailand, because there's nothing offering back home for them. Others love the country/climate/people and wish to contribute towards its wellbeing, growth and progress - admire those a lot e.g. the couple who started up Gerda Baan for HIV orphans.

Care to elaborate how you spent those 3,000 Baht a day? That's a serious question, too.

Income matters, but how you spend it matters, too.

I'm making less than $ 1,000 working full time at a government high school. Allow me to share my day yesterday.

• Cold shower at my 1,500 Baht a month house (not a problem, I swear. But in the past, I've had a large white frog jump onto my naked mody while trying to "shower" with a bucket at a free house provided by a school). You should have seen the size of spiders which came into the house. Large as my hand.
  • Rode the Honda Wave 100 I'm renting for 500 Baht a month to the Tesco Express, where I am hoping to buy some "marked down" food and milk.
  • Then I had a good cooked breakfast at the local Vegetarian restaurant. The owner likes me so I'm paying 5 B less. 25 B for 3 toppings.
  • Rode 1 km to the school and signed my name in a book.
  • Then I went to the office (around 6:30 am) to get an hour's time on the internet. Skype calls to the U.S. etc.
  • At 7:30, buses were to depart for a neighboring school wqhere the province's competitions would be held.
  • 1950s buses...

My task was to be a judge in the multi skills competition. That took hours. But I met some friendly students.

No boys participated in this particular competition. and some of the girls were incredibly nervous. (Doubt they would have freaked out more if I had horns implanted and 100 piercings).

Some girls couldn't or wouldn't speak or write. ** A few were excellent! ** Many were mediocre but trying. All of them were about 15 years old and meeting them and many others in the following hours was great.

It can be frustrating, trying to coax some words out of students' mouths.Went home around 5 pm. Then spent a few minutes at the gym before watching movies until I fell asleep. But at the end of the day, I felt quite content. Yes, I spent less than 300 Baht, including the rent for the house and the motorcycle. (Luncheon was free at the other school). Make that 500 Baht when you add a few beers on the weekend. 1,000 Baht when adding the cost of going by van to the nearest larger town with about 250,000 citizen, a night club and staying the night at an okay hotel. It's doubtful that I would get company as I'm twive your age and not a "babe magnet". Haven't been hitting on anyone in months TBH. But elderly women keep asking whether I am single, probably out of curiosity? Who knows. coffee1.gif

I'm always bitching about the Thai administrators but consider it a rewarding anti-career. Doubt there will be recognition, higher wages or the perks which a true career would bring. But I feel it's been a privilege to meet young people. There are fond memories of awkward situations. Singing "yesterday" a capella with a class of 7th graders? Or, upon request, quietly 1 on 1 with a girl in 8th grade who sings as badly as you do?

I've had many jobs the last 30 years. Drove a truck, worked in factories and at a bank. Once I joined a prestigious consultancy and the relocation was what "m making here in a quarter. But if I was now lying on my death bed, I would say that teaching kids here in Thailand was the best job I ever had. Because other things trump money. and you can live on less than 3,000 Baht a day, especially outside Bangkok.