Chaisak: Suvarnabhumi Airport Can Be Opened

Mr. Chaisak: Suvarnabhumi Airport can be opened

Mr. Chaisak Angsuwan (ชัยศักดิ์ อังค์สุวรรณ), the Director-General of the Department of Civil Aviation, insisted that Suvarnabhumi Airport will certainly be opened even though the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) cannot issue the airport’s certification within this September.

As for the progress on issuing the proper license to operate the Suvarnabhumi Airport, Mr. Chaisak said that his department will issue a basic certification that is valid for six months. He said that the real certification is waiting for the ICAO’s approval, as it is currently testing the airport’s system.

However, he said that the airport can start its operation now as it has already been guaranteed to be a commercial airport.

He said that the airport’s system will be tested again on July 20th before it will be opened for a special flight on July 29th.

He added that the testing will emphasize on the security system of the airport, in order to be in line with to the ICAO’s requirements.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 July 2006

Don't you love it? The international certifying body ICAO will not issue certification, so, to save face and ensure the airport is open by the most recent deadline, the Department of Civil Aviation will issue interum certification.

I hope there are no accidents that require insurance claims. :o Can you imagine trying to claim even on your travel insurance?

Been looking into this and it seems ICAO is pretty much a background operator, never really does any certification?

The Nation had a great story about this yesterday. Airport to get certified, but for what?: Local agency with no authority set to issue 'interim approval', but expert calls on global airline body to take closer look

Funny how the story points out problems with runway strength data--I guess that issue is never going to go away.

Happy landings.

[b.

He said that the airport’s system will be tested again on July 20th before it will be opened for a special flight on July 29th.

I won't want to be on that special flight even for free. I wonder those that are can get travel insurance.

I've seen advertising for this inaugural flight. Who would want to be in this once in a lifetime experience? :o

[b.

I've seen advertising for this inaugural flight. Who would want to be in this once in a lifetime experience? :o

It seems they’ve got quite a few takers, with some 30 flights nearly full already. Most Thais don’t have the same attitude about safety, and fewer still anything about international certification. This is a major national event, so here they come. But what I’ve heard, is the place is still a mess, the marble floors have cracked and in need of repair—oh, and the seats at the gates are those nice metal type you find in bus stations. Don’t think Singapore has anything to worry about?