Sisaket Australians and other Expats

Peter01

Welcome to the forum, Peter.

I don't live there and haven't been there for about 1.5 years. But when I was there I believe there was a farang (white Westerner) owned restaurant that served Italian and Mexican food between a hotel and the railroad station. It was run by the farang's Thai gf or wife.

I'm really stretching my memory here, and I don't know the name of the road it's on. But check next door to the train station and see if it's still there.

Again I'm stretching the old brain, but I believe they had music, beer, drinks and food.

I do recall that there are other farang restaurants there in Sisaket so look and ask around.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Peter.

I don't live there and haven't been there for about 1.5 years. But when I was there I believe there was a farang (white Westerner) owned restaurant that served Italian and Mexican food between a hotel and the railroad station. It was run by the farang's Thai gf or wife.

I'm really stretching my memory here, and I don't know the name of the road it's on. But check next door to the train station and see if it's still there.

Again I'm stretching the old brain, but I believe they had music, beer, drinks and food.

I do recall that there are other farang restaurants there in Sisaket so look and ask around.

Thanks for the info NeverSure...appreciated, I'll check it out

Hi Peter, Welcome. I live in Surin/Buriram. Try joining the Surin Farang Forum. There is section on to do with Sisaket. In fact I am planning on visiting Sisaket in the near future. Perhaps we can meet up and have a drink. I come from across the ditch.

Edited by Deerculler
  • Like 1

Hi Peter, Welcome. I live in Surin/Buriram. Try joining the Surin Farang Forum. There is section on to do with Sisaket. In fact I am planning on visiting Sisaket in the near future. Perhaps we can meet up and have a drink. I come from across the ditch.

Let me know when your coming over here, Les. I must owe you a beer or 3. Franks place has a Facebook page called 'Livin in the past'. There is also a nice Thai/Farang restaurant called 'Pop in' that's good too!'
  • Like 2

Hi Peter, where abouts in australia you from? I'm from QLD. Which part of sisaket are you in?

My girl lives in khukhan and I visit 4 times per year. I either stay near her village or in sisaket town.

As said above, head down to Cuckoo's Nest and introduce yourself to Brian. There are always a few farangs there. Usually after 5pm

I will be back in Sisaket in January, I'll PM you when I have dates

• Like 1

Hi all, many thanks for all your well-wishes and info...I plan to be in Sisaket between 2-21 November....I'll definitely catch up with whoever is around at Cuckoo's Nest and the other places mentioned. Then from Feb/March next year I'm planning to settle in Sisaket...so my interest is also relating to the region generally, including any opportunities to find work or business interests in the area....

Hi Peter, where abouts in australia you from? I'm from QLD. Which part of sisaket are you in?

My girl lives in khukhan and I visit 4 times per year. I either stay near her village or in sisaket town.

As said above, head down to Cuckoo's Nest and introduce yourself to Brian. There are always a few farangs there. Usually after 5pm

I will be back in Sisaket in January, I'll PM you when I have dates

I'm in Brisbane...but will be in Sisaket around 2-21 November...if you happen to be there around that time it'd be great to catch up..

Hi all, many thanks for all your well-wishes and info...I plan to be in Sisaket between 2-21 November....I'll definitely catch up with whoever is around at Cuckoo's Nest and the other places mentioned. Then from Feb/March next year I'm planning to settle in Sisaket...so my interest is also relating to the region generally, including any opportunities to find work or business interests in the area....

I hope you know that foreigners can't do most of the jobs, a Thai can do. You'll meet quite a few guys who're teaching English in Sisaket.

School year ends in March and the new academic year usually begins around middle of May. Just post me, if you need some info. Cheers

Edited by lostinisaan

-snip-

Guess you mean the "Cuckoo's Nest"? That's on the same road where the Pompiman hotel is. Down the road, about 800 meters on the left hand side.

P.S. There's also a nice bungalow resort, run by a friendly Thai, with a pool, called treehouse, but way out of town, direction Kantharalak rd, then a right turn at the big junction.

Thanks for the answer. Good info.

I have a good friend who lives in Kantharalak as do her parents. She's a school teacher in a village about 25 kms from Kantharalak toward Sisaket. She says she works in Sisaket to make it simple, but she doesn't really.

She is a really, really nice lady, 37, no kids, never married and tiny. I think she's 4'11" (150 cm?) and 85 pounds (49 kg?) She's cute.

I think I bumped into her at a gai yang stall in Sri Rattana a month ago. Had a couple of Thai kids on her scooter (that I assumed to be hers) and what i assumed to be her mother (may have been 2 scooters). Spoke very good Thai/Isaan. A few peircings. I thought she had a northern English accent. Clearly not an occasional visitor as she obviously knew the gai yang staff well - thought there must be an interesting story behind her presence here but we passed by rather than connected.

Same person Neversure?

[ban Santisuk, from whence my avatar) is about 5 miles closer to Kantharalak than Sri Rat and on the same Kanthraralak/Sisaket highway]

-snip-

Guess you mean the "Cuckoo's Nest"? That's on the same road where the Pompiman hotel is. Down the road, about 800 meters on the left hand side.

P.S. There's also a nice bungalow resort, run by a friendly Thai, with a pool, called treehouse, but way out of town, direction Kantharalak rd, then a right turn at the big junction.

Thanks for the answer. Good info.

I have a good friend who lives in Kantharalak as do her parents. She's a school teacher in a village about 25 kms from Kantharalak toward Sisaket. She says she works in Sisaket to make it simple, but she doesn't really.

She is a really, really nice lady, 37, no kids, never married and tiny. I think she's 4'11" (150 cm?) and 85 pounds (49 kg?) She's cute.

I think I bumped into her at a gai yang stall in Sri Rattana a month ago. Had a couple of Thai kids on her scooter (that I assumed to be hers) and what i assumed to be her mother (may have been 2 scooters). Spoke very good Thai/Isaan. A few peircings. I thought she had a northern English accent. Clearly not an occasional visitor as she obviously knew the gai yang staff well - thought there must be an interesting story behind her presence here but we passed by rather than connected.

Same person Neversure?

[ban Santisuk, from whence my avatar) is about 5 miles closer to Kantharalak than Sri Rat and on the same Kanthraralak/Sisaket highway]

BTW, there's a cuty in my wife's village seeking a foreign husband. Can't post a photograph of her, as it would cause quite a few divorces.

Anybody interested having a Sott Nang Sao? This is not a joke.-.coffee1.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I think that is true in most villages LII (spare ultra-cutey keen for foreign mate and stretching resident foreigner mental fidelity)thumbsup.gif

What's a sott nang sao - I'm thinking the translation is "expensive girl, clearly not your sister"tongue.png

• Like 2

Gidday Mate, I will be in Mueung Siskaret next month but i get no further than Phrung Ku unfortunately . Perhaps next time we can have a drink tho.

I thought that was "G'die Mite." tongue.png

That is Aussie pronunciation only from the movies made in Hollywood . And if you are from the bush it is more of a Gidaaaay Maaaate !!

Or at least that is the way it sounds to me.

• Like 1

Gidday Mate, I will be in Mueung Siskaret next month but i get no further than Phrung Ku unfortunately . Perhaps next time we can have a drink tho.

I thought that was "G'die Mite." tongue.png

That is Aussie pronunciation only from the movies made in Hollywood . And if you are from the bush it is more of a Gidaaaay Maaaate !!

Or at least that is the way it sounds to me.

Better to come from the bush, than having had George W.Bush as your president.

The bushy one is: Giiiddd Deeiiiiaaa Maaiiteee

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

When it comes to 'strine', Chips Rafferty and Paul Hogan have a lot to answer for smile.png

And just for our American friends..... if it is big enough to put on a BBQ, then it's called a prawn NOT a shrimp!

Thanks for reminding me that my marriage ring is still at the PRAWN-shop.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

hello peter, iam from sydney lived there for over 30yrs . i now have a small resort and bar in phu sing called jamjuree bar so if you are ever in the area please drop in and say g'day mate. i can send you details of where we are if you wish, in the mean time welcome to the area.

Somewhat off topic so I crave the indulgence of the Moderators....

In my attempt to put some statistics together for research I am doing I need to know approximately how many holders of Australian, New Zealand and British (including Scots biggrin.png) passports live permanently in Isaan. The relevant Embassies cannot assist saying that they only know of their nationals who care to register with them. Obviously, anecdotal information will suffice and I anticipate this will be a town-by-town exercise. No names or addresses please. Thanks.

Celtic, I have enjoyed a couple of heineken at your place with your mate lives in the house. I was there with my aus daughter and sil. He said you were in Ubon that day. You and I met in the chill chill bar in khukhan with the guy from la lom. I am there every three weeks for a week, and I'll drop in again.I always have a look when I go past, but looks like no one's around. Anyway, 8 oct I'm back, I'll drop in. Cheers.