Motorbikes

emogo

Hi All, I am moving to Chiang Mai in 2 weeks and am getting EXTREMLY excited!!! The only thing I am worried about is transportation. I am going to be living near CMU but will be working with a refugee organization "about 1/2 an hour away" Since the group works with refugees they can not give me an exact location. What are the best ways to get around the city? I keep hearing "motorbike" but I have never been on one before and am alittle nervous about getting right on one in Chiang Mai. What is it like? And do any other transports go at all outside the city?

Thanks for your help everyone!=

Emily

Edited by emogo

My wife and I will be arriving to live in Chiang Mai only a short while before you, so I am not in a position to advise you on other means of transportation, but I have years of experience with motorcycles -- including a tiny bit of experience on a motorcycle in Chiang Mai last year :o. I would strongly, strongly urge you not to start riding a motorcycle in Chiang Mai without at least several days of serious training and practice first. I say that not because it is Chiang Mai, but because it is easy to suffer serious injury or death on a motorcycle anywhere, and training and practice can make a huge difference to your chances of avoiding both. I don't know whether you can get that kind of training in Chiang Mai, but hopefully others will advise on that.

Edited by Rasseru

Maybe this is impractical, but it's one idea:

Start off by going to the small town of Pai in Mae Hong Son province for a few days, rent a Honda Dream semiautomatic there and this way get the feel for riding on roads with little traffic. Then try out Chiang Mai.

A simpler solution would be to hire a car and driver (some pickups and songthaews would be happy to negotiate a monthly or weekly price with you) to send you off and pick you up where you are going - unless you have to move around a lot this should work.

My wife and I will be arriving to live in Chiang Mai only a short while before you, so I am not in a position to advise you on other means of transportation, but I have years of experience with motorcycles -- including a tiny bit of experience on a motorcycle in Chiang Mai last year :o. I would strongly, strongly urge you not to start riding a motorcycle in Chiang Mai without at least several days of serious training and practice first. I say that not because it is Chiang Mai, but because it is easy to suffer serious injury or death on a motorcycle anywhere, and training and practice can make a huge difference to your chances of avoiding both. I don't know whether you can get that kind of training in Chiang Mai, but hopefully others will advise on that.

Unfortunatley nor do I ,or I would take it up myself.

I think that if you brought brand new, you may convince one of the sales staff to give you a days traing, but that would be it (Unless you paid then 3-500 Baht to train you on their day off...that may well work!

I think it's too distracting for a new person in Thailand and in Chiang Mai to be learning how to drive/ride a bike. I was extremely experienced, and had one wreck on my first rental day, another near-wreck on my second day. Even running around the moat is very scary at first. Even if you found an instructor, would they speak good enough English? Would they know what to tell you about defensive driving? I doubt it.

Okay, I'm prejudiced. I'm recovering from the second surgery in one year from the same wreck in Northern Thailand, after I'd ridden the same bike 30,000 kilometers.

Hi All, I am moving to Chiang Mai in 2 weeks and am getting EXTREMLY excited!!! The only thing I am worried about is transportation. I am going to be living near CMU but will be working with a refugee organization "about 1/2 an hour away" Since the group works with refugees they can not give me an exact location. What are the best ways to get around the city? I keep hearing "motorbike" but I have never been on one before and am alittle nervous about getting right on one in Chiang Mai. What is it like? And do any other transports go at all outside the city?

Thanks for your help everyone!=

Emily

Motorbike is a great way to get around and the small motorcycles with automatic transmissions are easy to use. Start your learning in quiet residential areas and look for another woman motorcyclist to follow and copy her moves. As she turns off from where you are comfortable look for another to follow. The Thais have their own accepted rules of the road for motorcycles and they are realatively easy to learn, if you are observant. Don't forget to bring a good street map to keep from becoming lost.

You will have great fun.

Regards.....Ken

On a personal note i hadnt driven a motorbike until my 3rd trip to Thailand. But i seemed to survive 6 months in CM last year, and 4 this year, riding a bike (automatic). Yes at first a little scary (the traffic is a little manic rush hour in CM), though concentrate on the road, oh and at the same time concentrate at everyone else driving around you and you should be fine.

I think the biggest problem in Thailand is that drink/driving almost seems to be accepted as normal in society here. Well thats im assuming from the thai friends i know and by the amount of bikes parked outside any nightclub/bar, and usually everyone in theres been drinking whiskey. Anyone else have an opinion on drink/driving in Thailand?

Im sure you'll be fine, though a little practise on the bike before you hit the road would prob do ya good (i.e self-learn).

.............and look for another woman motorcyclist to follow and copy her moves. As she turns off from where you are comfortable look for another to follow. The Thais have their own accepted rules of the road for motorcycles and they are realatively easy to learn, if you are observant.................

What? Helmet in the basket, mirrors directed so as they check their make-up and mobile phone up to the ear in the left hand? Better ways to learn I would imagine.

The above posts have some good advice.

I happen to be a PRO class rider.

Ex works rider for Honda and still compete in the Baja 1000 and 500 in a car or bike.My forte is in Observered trials.

I would be happy to give you some instruction sometime. I have taught many a Trials clinic in The USA, Japan and Taiwan.

If considering a motorcycle, I would stay away from a full automatic and anything that has a floorboard insted of foot pegs.

PM me if your interested.

I think the biggest problem in Thailand is that drink/driving almost seems to be accepted as normal in society here. Well thats im assuming from the thai friends i know and by the amount of bikes parked outside any nightclub/bar, and usually everyone in theres been drinking whiskey. Anyone else have an opinion on drink/driving in Thailand?

Well, having logged thousands of kilometers in North Thailand over many years with nary a serious fall I always have 2 tongs of 'lao cao' with 'sponser' before I set off and two more every 100 km.

If not......I believe I would be to scared to continue. Fallang courage ......I'd expect.

...Ken

.............and look for another woman motorcyclist to follow and copy her moves. As she turns off from where you are comfortable look for another to follow. The Thais have their own accepted rules of the road for motorcycles and they are realatively easy to learn, if you are observant.................

What? Helmet in the basket, mirrors directed so as they check their make-up and mobile phone up to the ear in the left hand? Better ways to learn I would imagine.

Yeah right.....another condescending Farrang applying stereotypical crap.

Do I think Thais act hazardous to my health on the roads in Thailand ? Yes....but it is the system THEY have developed for themselves. If you want to play the game learn their rules.

...Ken

Hey Blinky you forgot the downturned umbrella held in the left hand when raining :o Give me a bell as soon as you hit town....

Yeah right.....another condescending Farrang applying stereotypical crap.

Do I think Thais act hazardous to my health on the roads in Thailand ? Yes....but it is the system THEY have developed for themselves. If you want to play the game learn their rules.

...Ken

So Ken, you are suggesting that Emily teaches herself to ride in a hazardous manner........very dangerous indeed and very fatal for many.

I and a number of farang friends have been riding motorcycles both big and small (and driving cars) throughout Thailand for more than 20 years and clocked up 100's of thousands of kilometres without any serious incident. The way that I have survived is by not driving in the manner that the majority of the locals do. Situational awareness is a rather important factor here and sadly a lot of locals don't seem to possess this faculty.

The screaming sirens and roaring engines of the various rescue foundation pickups that you hear on such a regular basis around the cities of Thailand are most of the time on their way to yet another vehicular accident. What is the daily road toll in Chiang Mai? I'm not sure of the figures these days but surely at least a couple of motorcyclists are killed everyday not to mention those that are seriously injured. If you need an eye opener pay a visit to the ICU or the orthopaedic ward at Suandok hospital.

BB

So Ken, you are suggesting that Emily teaches herself to ride in a hazardous manner........very dangerous indeed and very fatal for many.

I and a number of farang friends have been riding motorcycles both big and small (and driving cars) throughout Thailand for more than 20 years and clocked up 100's of thousands of kilometres without any serious incident. The way that I have survived is by not driving in the manner that the majority of the locals do. Situational awareness is a rather important factor here and sadly a lot of locals don't seem to possess this faculty.

The screaming sirens and roaring engines of the various rescue foundation pickups that you hear on such a regular basis around the cities of Thailand are most of the time on their way to yet another vehicular accident. What is the daily road toll in Chiang Mai? I'm not sure of the figures these days but surely at least a couple of motorcyclists are killed everyday not to mention those that are seriously injured. If you need an eye opener pay a visit to the ICU or the orthopaedic ward at Suandok hospital.

BB

Okay, Bill.

Let's lay them on the block and measure length.

18 years ago I learned to ride motorcycle in Thailand by doing exactly what I suggested and it worked for me quite well. I seem to understand Thai drivers.

My point will stand..........learn how the Thais drive and drive appropriately.

Use your "Western" defensive driving tyechniques of course.....but try to understand the Thai driving system.

...Ken

I think it really depends on the person. If your a seasoned bicyclist, skier or other kinetically skilled sport then its not a big deal. Just learn the system and manage the abundant risks.

It's great there are anecdotal experiences like "I have been riding here for 20 years and no problems". I myself have been riding in CM for a year without major incident.

But don't kid your self. Your about 10 times more likely to die in a vehicle accident in Thailand than you would say in the States. It's one of the highest accident and fatality countries in the world.