Getting Around Chiang Mai

emogo

Hi All, I am moving to Chiang Mai in 2 weeks and am getting EXTREMLY excited!!! The only thing I am worried about is transportation. I am going to be living near CMU but will be working with a refugee organization "about 1/2 an hour away" Since the group works with refugees they can not give me an exact location. What are the best ways to get around the city? I keep hearing "motorbike" but I have never been on one before and am alittle nervous about getting right on one in Chiang Mai. What is it like? And do any other transports go at all outside the city?

Thanks for your help everyone!=

Emily

From near CMU around the city, the most common form of transportation are the "Red Bus" songthaews, a kind of converted pick-up truck that works like a share-taxi: Flag one down (there's gazillions of them), state to the driver where you're going, and if the driver is okay with the destination (depending on the destination(s) of any other passengers) then he'll nod and you get in and the fare is 15 baht. Obviously he could/would ask for more for very long trips.

These red buses are very convenient, especially after you get the hang of using them, i.e. it makes a difference on what (side of the) road you hail one.. Like you'd want to flag one down already moving roughly in the direction you're going, so it helps heaps if you have a rough understanding of the city map, and what roads the buses are likely to take. Then sometimes it pays to just break up the trip in to two, connecting at very common places such as the Big Market, any of the city gates, Central Department Store, and so on.

Also when stating your destination you don't have to be overly specific, like a soi or house number.. Just state some landmark or well-known spot roughly in the area that you know he'll pass, then press the buzzer inside when you actually want to get out. Takes some practise, but after you get the hang of it they really can't be beaten for price/speed/convenience to get you somewhere.

Also the city is small enough to get around on bicycle if you don't feel like tempting fate with a moped. :o

Then for out of town to your place of work..... It depends greatly where it's located. MOST of the roads out of town have long-distance songthaews in various interesting colors, that dont' cost much. However if the actual place is a bit away from the main road, then you're in trouble, you'd have to arrage for someone to pick you up at the main road, or convince the driver to make a detour (costs money).. Or do get that moped.. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao