Fishing in Bangkok and Kanchanaburi

Kevin1908

Previously I have concentrated fishing at Bangsamram, Surat Thani, Ratchaprapha and Ranong areas but as in December I will have access to a car I was think of heading up to Srinakharin. Then looking at the map I see that Khao Laem is in the same area which would enable me to knock Three Pogada Pass off the list of places to see in Thailand having never explored the Western fringes much.

I am not experienced at fishing, just something I do on holiday but my eldest son is quite keen and the youngest is now taking an interest so Bangsamran is getting expensive. I have seen references to other places in Bangkok but I have no idea where they are exactly.

This year I would prefer to get straight out of Bangkok and try something new. The wife can drive now so don't need for a few days recovering in Bangkok before heading out.

So comparisons between Srinakharin and Khao Laem please. Will Three Pagoda Pass be worth it or will I be disappointed. I am definitely not into the Gillhams standard of fishing (and expense).

As above, the Bangkok hooker website is a great source of info.

My personal experience is that for a cheap and cheerful alternative to Bungsamran try Sakuna. The fish are smaller, but still numerous, and they have the odd bigger one to around 40-50kg. Its MUCH cheaper though, hundreds of baht and no two-tier pricing.

Its very 'local' though, with limited tackle (none for hire as far as I know), pretty horrible toilets, and not such a choice of food.

Its very 'local' though, with limited tackle (none for hire as far as I know), pretty horrible toilets, and not such a choice of food.

Ditto on The Bangkokhooker forum, check it out.

Sakuna does have a limited range of hire gear but quality and condition is hit and miss, especially the reels. A good strategy is to take your own reel loaded with 30 to 40 lb mono and just re-rig onto the tackle set you hire from them.

Pilot 111 is an exciting day out if you enjoy lure fishing but it gets a bit boring after a few visits. Very limited hire gear so it's mostly take your own including lures. All info on bangkokhooker forum.

I was in the Kanchanaburi and 3 pagoda pass area this past July for 10 days. I did not fish Kao Laem lake but can tell you the water level was extremely low. 3 pagoda pass was nothing special but Sanklaburi was interesting with the Mon friendship bridge. That geographical area is beautiful including the upper reaches of the river kwai. Sai Yok national park is worth seeing along the way as was Hellfire Pass. I did make a fishing trip with my brother who has lived in Thailand for 14 years during my 3 month stay. We booked a fishing trip to Kaeng Krachan and it was very enjoyable. The guides info can be found on the Bangkok Hooker website. Good luck and enjoy the time with your sons!

Thanks for the BKKHooker link. While I love to fish, I'm not much on "pond" fishing but I saw the video about light jigging off Pattaya/Jomtien. Some years back I found a similar video but lost the links. I knew there had to be some "real" boats for hire that knew how to catch fish. The biggest problem with the wooden boats is speed, lack of ability to up anchor and hunt the fish. I grew up on the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast and really miss that salt water fishing. I'll check into the "offshore" prospects more. Thanks and good fishing to all, especially the OP and his sons.

I can't comment on the fishing around Sangklaburi, but I'd guess you'll be disappointed with the Three Pagodas. I was expecting something more grand but they're small, only a few meters high, but very old, and no doubt renovated many times.

The history of the area is worth reading up on. It's where the Burma- Siam railway crossed the border and there are a couple of sections of reconstructed line to see, although I believe the section on the Myanmar side is original.

Khao Laem has a submerged wat, mostly exposed late in the dry season, and there's no shortage of boatmen willing to take you there.

P Guest House is good accommodation, but call ahead. I haven't been able to get a bed my past couple of trips just dropping in.

Hell Fire Pass museum and a walk through the pass on the old railway bed is definitely worth doing, even a bit emotional.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I don't need to worry about tackle as I take my own. I have three bait runner reels for using at Bangsamran and three Shimano travel rods. They are boat rods really so a bit short for casting but the eldest son manages ok and casts with them as far as the locals and the guides. I struggle casting far enough so I bought a Fox Tarpon travel rod which is a bit longer than the Shimanos. They break down really short to put in the luggage and they are plenty strong enough.

I am trying to get a couple of Shimano shore boat twin tips which double as a boat rod and a beach caster but none of the on line tackle shops in the UK seem to be able to get hold of them.