Spaying and neutering in Thailand?

Hi Folks - I have been living in Thailand for about a year now, and am currently house/dog sitting for friends in Chiang Mai. I have noticed over the course of this last year that many, many, basically unbreedabe male dogs are running or lying around with their cojones still attached. Obviously I couldn't tell with the females, or if there were any neutered males out there - but I really consider this a problem, especially now.

The dog I am dog-sitting for is a fairly young female purebred husky, who has been in heat for many days now. Her owners bought her thinking they would breed her, presumably for profit. She had one litter, and then they changed their mind, so she lives here now as a house pet. She detests being on a leash, but prefers to run free in our gated community as dozens of other dogs do here. That's great, most of the time - but not when there is an un-neutered husky who is hangs around almost 24/7, and many other all un-neutered male dogs hanging out as well. There is one ancient mutt with balls bigger than he is that can actually squeeze through our wrought iron fence to get at her, and often does. Thankfully, I think he would need a ladder or step-stool to do the deed with the husky!

But though one of the couple who live her is a farang, they don't seem particularly concerned. That leaves me mopping up bloody smears off the floor all day, and her behavior involves: no appetite, unless I spike her kibble with chicken bits or egg; and listlessness, broken up by lots of howling and yelping and a plaintive high-pitched wails at random but frequent times of the day, combined with wanting constantly to be let out and then right back in again. (Presumably she can sense the nearness of eligible bachelors when they are nearby but out of sight to me.)

The owners take good care of their dogs generally (one of them went with them on their trip) - they feed them well, give them plenty of exercise and affection, take them once a month to their vet for some kind of shot, etc. But even the other dog, which is a small, adorable mutt of unknown genetic makeup, is also unspayed, which makes no sense at all. I can almost see leaving the husky fertile, thinking they might change their minds about breeding.

Dutchy, the husky in question, has been yelping and howling the whole time I've been composing this message. I'm sure the neighbors love it - I'm convinced that my Russian next-door neighbor thinks I am a terrible dog-sitter - he took her out on her leash - once. The walk exhausted them both!

Anyway - there really is no question in here - unless someone can enlighten me as to why there are dozens of vets all over town, yet not much (if any) spaying and neutering going on!

Thanx!

Actually - I do have a question. I have had several dogs, but they were all fixed. Dutchy has been in heat now for about two weeks now, and everything described above - the bleeding, the lack of appetite, the odd and constant vocal behavior - has been going on the whole time. Is it possible that there is something else wrong going on here? Could she be ill? I'd like to take her to the vet to find out, but have only a motorbike that's not much bigger than Dutchy is! I may call one today, but if anyone out there has any insights, they will be appreciated!

post-187366-0-78851700-1411449241_thumb.

Thanks for the deeply penetrating answer. I'm sure her owners would be thrilled. BTW - I frequently get replies from people like you who have thousands and thousands of posts. And they are most often the ones with frivolous, obnoxious, insulting or just plain stupid answers to people's serious questions. My suggestion - get a life.......and stay out of others' unless you actually have something to contribute.

my avatar is my beloved who we had neutered and has become the love of our lives.

be aware that leaving a loverly dog like her to roam about for any dog to shaft is nothing short of criminal you dont know what if any deceases they carry.ours was 1yr.old when we got him,and before that he got loose for quite a long time and caught an infection in his old boy and with the heat and lack of water he was at deaths door,three parts of the way over rainbow bridge.

please get her spayed that will quiet her down and become your best freind.

i am sure you can get the vet to visit you.if you TRY.

Edited by meatboy

A lot of spaying and neutering does go on, buddhaland, but it's up to the owner, and there is no way you can compel the insensitive/insensible/non-sensible. But you cannot spay a dog while it's on heat.

The period of heat means enforced seclusion for a couple of weeks; she's only fertile for two or three days out of this period (I've just been through all this with a dog at the other end of the scale, a toy poodle; she mated with the one I wanted her to, and I now have five lovely puppies). After this litter, I have two choices, either have her spayed, or cage her for the next period.

Dog shelters, like CareforDogs out towards Hang Dong, have all their dogs neutered before putting them up for adoption.

Edited by isanbirder

Buddhaland you are dog-siting a dog, that happens to be in heat right in the period you are there.

As it seems you prefer to enjoy only the good parts of house/dog sitting and not the inconveniences.

As long as you are taking care that house with pet/s it is YOUR responsibility to keep the dog from mating. Unless, the owners do not give a hook whether their dog ends up with puppies again or not. (but then still, you question owners' responsibilities about spay/neuter, and you leave a bitch in heat, that's under your care, free outside in the garden while un-neutered males can get to her? Doesn't that contradict each other a bit? )

It's YOUR responsibility to keep the dog physically AND mentally entertained. Your neighbor has been taking the dog out for a walk? Isn't that your task?

As long as you are taking care the animal, it is YOUR responsibility to prevent the dog from getting and/or causing accidents while roaming free outside her property.

And last but definitely not least: if you think the dog may be sick, you take her to the vet or at least call one first thing. You do NOT ask on a public forum whether she is sick or not.

In fact, BEFORE you started your obligations as a house and dog sitter you should have thought about what to do when the dog needs vet care. How to get this dog to a vet in case of emergency. And know at least the basic symptoms of illness.

Again, you are *dog sitting*, not just taking a holiday.

BTW, questioning the spay/neuter issue is no problem, but it is not exactly appropriate to question your clients' decision concerning this subject and the care of their pets on a public forum. There are not many young female Huskies named Dutchy in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Nienke

Thanks for the lecture, Nienke. Apparently you didn't read the last paragraph of my post. And though I didn't think of it at the time, perhaps by mentioning the dog by name, I was subconsciously hoping to reach out to her owners, who also happen to be my friends and housemates, with whom I have discussed this problem via Skype. (I just happen to think that part of being responsible means using every resource at your disposal - such as this forum - to solve a problem.) As for the rest - there are a multitude of facts about this particular situation you know nothing about, making your severe judgementalism nothing short of profound ignorance. BTW - I don't hide behind screen names. My name is Michael Gamble, I am an ESL teacher who is just about to end a year here. I don't think I can provide this kind of information on this forum, but I will be happy to provide you with my local phone number and my email address if you have any interest in actually having a civil dialogue - and learning the facts that would answer each of your angry, uninformed rants. And please do re-read the last paragraph of my post. Even if you actually knew what you were talking about, you can't browbeat and insult someone who asks for help and expect they will change. People respond much better to constructive criticism. Just a hopefully constructive suggestion............

If you wonder if the dog is sick (showing symptoms already for a while) you take the dog to a vet. Having only a motorbike is no excuse. Rent a red taxi or ask a friend with a car.

The sx of the dog can very well be heat-related. However, it can resemble a disease as well, such as from blood parasites. You can only be sure after a blood test is done (RBC, WBC, platelets, liver and kidney, and a SNAP-test). Bring a feces-sample as well, then the vet can look under the microscope for possible worm eggs. After all, the dog is allowed to roam the streets. The shot given every 1 or 2 months does not cover all intestinal worms, provided the shot given is the one against heartworm.

For example: A heat period gives (natural) stresses to a female's body. IF ( I don't say it does in Dutchy's case) the dog's immune system is already dealing for a while with, for example, blood parasites (a *very* common problem here), then it is very possible that due to this extra stress the immune system will not be able to keep these blood parasites in check, causing an increase of these pests, and sx of illness start occurring.
The most common blood parasite come from ticks. One kind of these parasites can cause a drop in red blood cells and platelets.
It is not uncommon a dog hardly shows any sx, or vague sx, until the ranges of one or both are so dangerous low, that they near the range of blood transfusion, and the dog 'suddenly' falls very ill.

So, if you fear or suspect there's something wrong with the dog after already having observed her for a while (and talked with the owners through Skype about it, as it seems), you take her to the vet.
It may be heat-related, then a vet visit will be false-alarm, but it can be something more serious. Take her to the vet for a check-up, you are responsible now for this dog's health. That was my answer to your last paragraph.

Thanks for the lecture, Nienke. Apparently you didn't read the last paragraph of my post. And though I didn't think of it at the time, perhaps by mentioning the dog by name, I was subconsciously hoping to reach out to her owners, who also happen to be my friends and housemates, with whom I have discussed this problem via Skype. (I just happen to think that part of being responsible means using every resource at your disposal - such as this forum - to solve a problem.) As for the rest - there are a multitude of facts about this particular situation you know nothing about, making your severe judgementalism nothing short of profound ignorance. BTW - I don't hide behind screen names. My name is Michael Gamble, I am an ESL teacher who is just about to end a year here. I don't think I can provide this kind of information on this forum, but I will be happy to provide you with my local phone number and my email address if you have any interest in actually having a civil dialogue - and learning the facts that would answer each of your angry, uninformed rants. And please do re-read the last paragraph of my post. Even if you actually knew what you were talking about, you can't browbeat and insult someone who asks for help and expect they will change. People respond much better to constructive criticism. Just a hopefully constructive suggestion............

what a howler you are,you need to see a vet and get that lump off your shoulder.

we all tried to tell you whats best for dutchy only for you to throw it all back at us.

as nienke said you are in charge of her but if you think by doing sweet fanny adams will help,well you are profoundly ignorant. POOR DOG needs some love,but not by you.thats the best constructive suggestion i can give.

GET THE DOG NEUTERED. Besides a that breed of dog in Thailand I know is sort of a usual thing to see. But it escapes me how that could be good for a breed that is more at home along the Arctic Circle. But what do I know. But what I do know is there are too many dogs already in this country that do nothing more than make more dogs. Enough already!

iamariva1957, on 26 Sept 2014 - 19:10, said:iamariva1957, on 26 Sept 2014 - 19:10, said:

GET THE DOG NEUTERED. Besides a that breed of dog in Thailand I know is sort of a usual thing to see. But it escapes me how that could be good for a breed that is more at home along the Arctic Circle. But what do I know. But what I do know is there are too many dogs already in this country that do nothing more than make more dogs. Enough already!

it's NOT his dog, so he really can not have it "neutered," the only really option is to get dog "diapers", if available in Thailand, and next time tell his friends he can not dog sit.

Edited by MediaWatcher

iamariva1957, on 26 Sept 2014 - 19:10, said:iamariva1957, on 26 Sept 2014 - 19:10, said:

it's NOT his dog, so he really can not have it "neutered," the only really option is to get dog "diapers", if available in Thailand, and next time tell his friends he can not dog sit.

no mw its not his dog so why did he write a full page on her.seems like he is the only one with any interest in the dog.

these are wonderfull dogs as i have one,but as iamariva states they are more at home in arctic conditions and they should have never been allowed to breed in this country in the first place.yet who would take any notice everybody does what they want to do and nobody can tell them different.ours is lucky,we are with him 24/7 and we do everything to help him enjoy life he is our boy.it breaks my heart to think there are many out there that are suffering badly and not only husky's so to the op.have some balls and get the dog spayed.

OP,

Get the female spayed. Maybe the owners won't even know if they are still going to be gone for awhile. Plus you ought to give it a nice brushing and get rid of all that fur. As you know huskies have two layers.

You are a more concerned responsible dog sitter than they are and its whats best for the dog. Anyone that intentionally buys a husky with the intent to breed it in a tropical locale is an selfish idiot and shouldn't even be allowed to own one.

From what you describe I would not be surprised if she is already knocked up and a quick spay can end the pregnancy. There are animal welfare organizations, privately run, that do traveling spay/neuter clinics for soi dogs but you should be able to find a vet that will perform this surgery.

As for the whining. The husky breed needs to run. Not a walk with a leash but a flat out run a couple times a week.

As for Thailand, the Thai male is very fragile in his manhood and thinks his own manhood is weakened if he has a dog without cajones. Thai men do not even get vasectomies for the same reason. Maybe if they had court-ordered child support in this country...but thats for another thread.

Good luck.

Edited by ClutchClark

First, a big thank you to the poster who noted that I DO care about this wonderful animal. (Though like so many of the other posters, you are advocating that I get spayed a dog that belongs to someone else. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG, AND NOT MY PLACE TO DO. The best I can do is talk with her owners about this issue.)

Second, I am always curious about the fact that nearly all the incorrect, frivolous, sarcastic and ignorantly mean-spirited posts on Thaivisa are from people who have posted many thousands of times, which I think says volumes about how much time they have on their hands and how they choose to spend it. Some of the responses to my post are perfect cases in point, as they were based on literally dozens of incorrect assumptions from people who evidently want to help less than they want to hear themselves speak, with few - if any - facts on which to base their tirades.

My post is a perfect case in point. For the record, I am a 66 year old retired professional seaman, with severe chronic pain issues caused by cervical radiculopathy resulting from a bad fall I took in a storm in Antarctica when I was working for the Scripps Institution of Oceanography on one of their research vessels . Also, I am still recovering from a head-on collision in April between my motorbike and a passenger van. This accident, apart from further incapacitating me, also cost me my entire savings and my ability to work and earn an income - but fortunately for me, when I was selling off possessions to make ends meet, the lovely couple who bought my camera offered to rent me a room in their house for almost nothing, with the understanding that I would house-sit for them this month and care for one of their dogs while they were out or town. The responsibility was to be shared by me and one of our neighbors, such that I am responsible for the care, maintenance and security of the house, while the neighbor mows the lawn and takes care of the yard work. This neighbor actually asked if he could walk the dog, which was fine by me. We live in a gated community complex way out of town, where the norm is to let the many dogs here have the run of the place, unattended. This includes the dog for which I am caring. She is not leash-trained and really gives anyone who walks her on a lead a real workout! So I was more than pleased when our young, "husky" neighbor offered to help out in this way.

This was especially helpful as I am also at this point somewhat housebound (I was recently also diagnosed by a dermatologist at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital with a major skin condition, and he recommends that I avoid sun and sweating as much as possible). As a consequence, I spend most of every day at home with the dog, and we play chase-the-tennis-ball, we wrestle and tussle and I giver her lots of her favorite tummy-rubs - I brush out her coat daily, "spike" her normal kibbled dog food with bits of chicken, egg and sausage (on her owner's advice) to help with her poor appetite while in heat, and when she has to be in the yard I watch her as much as I practically can, chasing out that little mutt that sneaks in between the fence posts numerous times every day. I NEVER let her out of the yard unattended, as one of the more uninformed posters asserted, as if it were a fact (can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?).

Like most of the posters here, I completely disapprove of keeping a Siberian Husky in this climate - or leaving her un-spayed. But as many of the more sensible posters have said, this is not my decision to make. My responsibilities are only to see that she is fed, kept safe, and is given lots of attention, all of which I do, and take very seriously. Those who actually took the time to read my whole post know that almost the whole, long thing was about my feelings about seeing so many un-spayed and un-neutered dogs in Thailand. The last brief paragraph, where I asked for advice, was almost an afterthought. I wasn't distressed, worried or concerned for her health, having talked many times about this with one of her owners. But it is always sensible to get other opinions when one is responsible for the care and well-being of someone else's pet.

I am still reeling, though, from a couple of particularly arrogant and mean-spirited responses I received, stating, among other sarcastic comments with no basis in fact, that I only want to deal with the fun aspects of house-sitting, and not the inconveniences. Yes, Nienke, I much preferred to deal with the major water leak we had in our upstairs plumbing system than I did playing with and otherwise caring for the dog. Clearly, you know me so well that you can make such assertions with assurance. Such omniscience is clearly a gift.........

I have a friend here who has lived in Asia for 30 years and in Thailand for about eight. He won't go anywhere near ThaiVisa - and I can see why. The answers to the few questions I have posted here have turned out to be contradictory, often completely contradicting each other - and/or were just plain wrong, though invariably stated as fact.

But I do want to extend a sincere thank you to those of you who actually took the time to read my entire post, gave it some reasoned thought, and offered sound, non-judgemental advice. (Unlike several of you apparently think it is OK for me to get a purebred dog fixed on my own initiative, even though that dog belongs to someone else, as was clearly stated.) A special thanks to Media Watcher - who not only stated the obvious, that I can't have someone else's dog fixed, but offered a kick-ass suggestion - diapers. I don't know if they are available in Chiang Mai, but I am going to make some today. Great, very helpful idea! Many thanks, and my best wishes to all the rest of you who posted - may your lives all be filled with peace, happiness, love - and above all, truth.

It is not your dog, you cannot decide to spay it. You agreed to sit it and will have to suffer the inconvenience of it being on heat. Wait until the owners return and then discuss it with them.

However if it is in need medical attention as you seem to think it may then you should take it to a vet immediately. If the vet decides that in order to return the dog to full health it would require spaying then so be it. A spayed live dog is far better than a dead unspayed one and the owners should appreciate that.

But I'm glad I do not live in your gated community with

prefers to run free in our gated community as dozens of other dogs do here.

It sounds like hell to me. If the dog owners are irresponsible enough to allow their dogs free roaming on the street I'm going to assume they are irresponsible enough NOT to clean up the dogs waste matter. Yuck.

If all the dogs were kept properly inside their houses/garden and only allowed on the street for exercise when supervised and properly leashed (e.g. as Pattaya City law requires) you would not be having as much trouble in

an un-neutered husky who is hangs around almost 24/7, and many other all un-neutered male dogs hanging out as well. There is one ancient mutt with balls bigger than he is that can actually squeeze through our wrought iron fence to get at her

Your question

enlighten me as to why there are dozens of vets all over town, yet not much (if any) spaying and neutering going on

I think the answer is Irresponsibility and MONEY. I tend to find that Thais prefer male dogs. That dog then sires many puppies to which the male dog owners cry "NOT MY PROBLEM". Not unlike a lot of the Thai male human population. Why spend money on sterilizing a dog when you can just let the puppies free to roam and have a miserable life on the streets.

Edited by Keesters

Second, I am always curious about the fact that nearly all the incorrect, frivolous, sarcastic and ignorantly mean-spirited posts on Thaivisa are from people who have posted many thousands of times, which I think says volumes about how much time they have on their hands and how they choose to spend it. Some of the responses to my post are perfect cases in point, as they were based on literally dozens of incorrect assumptions from people who evidently want to help less than they want to hear themselves speak, with few - if any - facts on which to base their tirades.

OP, Great tirade, you fit in better here than you appear to realize. Welcome to the Forum.

Hopefully your good-natured and helpful neighbor only exercises the dog in the early morning hour and coolest part of the day before the temperature and sun get hot. That thick coat of hair is an excellent insulator from the cold but also works to trap body heat generated from exercise. A bowl of water with ice cubes can help.

BTW, the husky in the photo is overweight and needs to lose about 5-7 kilos.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

Thaivisa is well know for the idiots that post here. It is a sad fact that you have to put up with their replies to get some useful help. But there are some normal people who use the forum.

well toany here,s one of those well known idiots with some useful help.

the op.tells us he is housebound,well if thats the case he shouldnt be looking after a husky.

they are working dogs and need much exercise as its already been pointed out.i know ours will gallop as fast as he can arround our garden and house most days and he gets plenty of walking.also he needs shredding as he has a double coat.

just imagine walking round bkk. with a thick woolen coat on all day,that is what she has to put up with.

a nice cold bath helps aswell.

so now that the op has described his ailments i am confused who is looking after who.

taffy from the land of sheep shaggers and idiots.

PS.why dont the op get a wheel-chair made and duchy can pull him around.biggrin.png

Edited by meatboy

Since the dog is not yours and you don't want to have it spayed, there are shots that, if given regularly, will prevent pregnancy just like in humans. I use it and it's the same medication that is used for humans. I use Depomoxie which is available at the pharmacy for 35 baht or Medevet both in 3ml vials and inject it, intramuscular (IM), every three months. It works fine and the dog can become pregnant later if you want. It's a temporary solution that will solve your problem most likely with no objections from the owners.

Great response, Wayned - and I thought of the "remain silent" quote many times during this surreal exchange, and should have taken its advice rather than get dragged down into the mud - but then, I am just as capable of being a knucklehead as the next guy/gal.....

I have actually had many really kind, useful and well thought out posts with great advice, as I trust yours is. As for the rest..........thanks again for that quote! (I did specifically say that I contracted the skin disorder after - quite a while after - the housesitting assignment started. But Meatboy may be dyslexic, for which I certainly can't fault him.....) The dog's owners will be home and I will be in Dubai, and then Seattle, also in a few days - so there is no point in starting the course of shots now - but since the owners seem to be vacillating about whether (rightly or wrongly) to breed her again, your suggestion seems like an ideal solution. I will certainly mention it to them!

Cheers -

Michael

quote meatboy may be dyslexic,well i dont think i have a learning disability.but you can tell me if i am wrong on this.

are you pulling our tail.and leg.

1 you say you suffer with cronic pain, caused by cervical radiculopathy.

2 you say you are recovering from a head on collision on your bike.further incapacitating you.

3 you say you have a major skin condition and must aviod the sun and sweating.

4 your housebound.

now then lets look at what your responsible for.care and maintainance of the house,security of the house.

looking after the dog,[a very powerful one]

but you are able to wrestle with her and tussle.

you play chase the tennis ball.

you give her lots of tummy rubs.

you brush her coat.

you chase off muts who enter the property a no of times a day.

thats it i am knackered writing this,the wife will have to see to ours.

then you are off to dubai and then seattle,not bad for someone who is housebound and cannot work and has no savings.

YOUR PULLING OUR PLONKER.

meatboy, on 27 Sept 2014 - 06:58, said:
MediaWatcher, on 27 Sept 2014 - 06:31, said:
iamariva1957, on 26 Sept 2014 - 19:10, said:iamariva1957, on 26 Sept 2014 - 19:10, said:iamariva1957, on 26 Sept 2014 - 19:10, said:

no mw its not his dog so why did he write a full page on her.seems like he is the only one with any interest in the dog.

these are wonderfull dogs as i have one,but as iamariva states they are more at home in arctic conditions and they should have never been allowed to breed in this country in the first place.yet who would take any notice everybody does what they want to do and nobody can tell them different.ours is lucky,we are with him 24/7 and we do everything to help him enjoy life he is our boy.it breaks my heart to think there are many out there that are suffering badly and not only husky's so to the op.have some balls and get the dog spayed.

Following your advise could find him in legal trouble, not being the "owner" and stating he is only the dog sitter, the "owners" could press charges, like I said, would it be worth it. Does he "care" about her, maybe, but his whole article revolves around the bitch being on heat. As for Huskies and hot weather, go read this... http://www.siberrescue.com/huskyed5.html

Just posted to a chap who says there are no mistreated dogs here because the people are Buddist and they help everyone and everything. Most be very new here, or blind.

Perhaps he means intentionally abused.

I would agree that you don't see people kicking or inflicting intentional harm to animals in Thailand.

True there is a thriving black market in dog meat primarily for export but that is different from animal abuse.

Well, I have only myself to blame for letting this silliness get so far...especially with Meatboy. I'm actually embarrassed that I've just wasted so much time today acting like a petulant child on the third grade playground playing neener neener neener with a couple of the folks here.

There is an actual, factual, logical and legitimate answer to every one of Meatboy's points from his last post, but I am only willing to give time to the last one. My one year teaching visa expires in a few days, and I borrowed most of the money for my ticket home (with a 9 hour stopover in Dubai - cheapest ticket I could find, as it entails 36 hours travel time and two layovers) from a friend at home, and got the rest by eating a lot of ramen and living here practically rent free for quite a while, thanks to the kindness and compassion of the dog's owners.

So I will say La gorn krap and wish you all well......and leave you with what I hope is a helpful suggestion - I suggest that you check out the Siberian Husky Rescue of Florida, Inc. website - you can find some interesting information at www.siberrescue.com/huskyed5.html You might find it enlightening - I sure did, especially where Huskys (Huskies?) and heat are concerned..........(hint: I always wondered why our Husky absolutely loves to lie out in the middle of our driveway at midday on hot, sunny days!)

Blessings to you all - Michael

P.S. I will delete any further posts on this subject without opening them - so take a deep breath, relax, and go play with your dog!

Well, I have only myself to blame for letting this silliness get so far...especially with Meatboy. I'm actually embarrassed that I've just wasted so much time today acting like a petulant child on the third grade playground playing neener neener neener with a couple of the folks here.

There is an actual, factual, logical and legitimate answer to every one of Meatboy's points from his last post, but I am only willing to give time to the last one. My one year teaching visa expires in a few days, and I borrowed most of the money for my ticket home (with a 9 hour stopover in Dubai - cheapest ticket I could find, as it entails 36 hours travel time and two layovers) from a friend at home, and got the rest by eating a lot of ramen and living here practically rent free for quite a while, thanks to the kindness and compassion of the dog's owners.

So I will say La gorn krap and wish you all well......and leave you with what I hope is a helpful suggestion - I suggest that you check out the Siberian Husky Rescue of Florida, Inc. website - you can find some interesting information at www.siberrescue.com/huskyed5.html You might find it enlightening - I sure did, especially where Huskys (Huskies?) and heat are concerned..........(hint: I always wondered why our Husky absolutely loves to lie out in the middle of our driveway at midday on hot, sunny days!)

Blessings to you all - Michael

P.S. I will delete any further posts on this subject without opening them - so take a deep breath, relax, and go play with your dog!

Contrary to any article from a publication by and for people who want to justify owning huskies in a tropical climate like FL--huskies are not hot weather dogs and can suffer heat exhaustion and death if exercised heavily in hot weather.

Their coat is designed as insulation to keep cold weather out.

The problem with physical exertion is that the energy generated creates heat in dogs just like it does in humans. Mammals have a very narrow internal temperature range before death occurs. They regulate this temperature in a number of methods, one is by blood vessels near the skin that can be cooled by outside air. The thick coat of hair prevents that heat exchange from occurring. I suggest you put on your heavy Antarctic Foul Weather gear and go run around your neighborhood if you don't believe me.

One only has to look at the coats of hair of wild animals that exist in tropical climates verse those that live in frigid climates to see what should be obvious to any thinking person.

The husky can live in a tropical climate as long as it is kept inside an A/C house and has plenty of fluids available. You will find that the husky will lay on cold tiles in that house or directly in front of a fan or A/C vent. It is not a pleasant life for a husky to live out its life in such circumstances first and foremost because a husky needs to run. It needs to run as much as it needs air to breathe. Perhaps you need to be a husky owner to understand how critical this need is.

Regardless your own opinion of the dogs owners, anyone who chooses to make a profit by breeding and selling huskies in thailand is a very selfish individual.

Best of luck in Seattle and I wish you would have been around here long enough to tell me some stories of you years as a Merchant Seaman.

Regards

Edited by ClutchClark