Department Of Highways Inspect Fractures Along Thai-burma Friendship Bridge

Jai Dee

Department of Highways inspect fractures along Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge

The Thai and Burmese Department of Highways have conducted an inspection of fracture points along the Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge in Mae Sot District of Chiang Rai Province, which may prove hazardous to heavy motor traffic.

Mr. Wacchara Thangcham (วัชระ แตงฉ่ำ), the Director of the 2nd Tak Roadway Division, in cooperation with authorities from Burma, conducted an inspection of large fracture points of approximately five centimeters each along the Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge. The fractures are abnormal lines along the bridge and it is expected that they occurred from water currents of the Meuy (เมย) River.

Mr. Wacchara stated that dangers may occur if heavy vehicles used the bridge, and authorities are advising that motorists exercise extreme caution when passing through. The Department of Highways has sent roadway experts to inspect the bridge's condition and repair it.

Mr. Wacchara added that the fractures are the result of almost ten years of usage since the bridges inception in 1997.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 July 2006

Department of Highways inspect fractures along Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge

The Thai and Burmese Department of Highways have conducted an inspection of fracture points along the Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge in Mae Sot District of Chiang Rai Province, which may prove hazardous to heavy motor traffic.

Mr. Wacchara Thangcham (วัชระ แตงฉ่ำ), the Director of the 2nd Tak Roadway Division, in cooperation with authorities from Burma, conducted an inspection of large fracture points of approximately five centimeters each along the Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge. The fractures are abnormal lines along the bridge and it is expected that they occurred from water currents of the Meuy (เมย) River.

Mr. Wacchara stated that dangers may occur if heavy vehicles used the bridge, and authorities are advising that motorists exercise extreme caution when passing through. The Department of Highways has sent roadway experts to inspect the bridge's condition and repair it.

Mr. Wacchara added that the fractures are the result of almost ten years of usage since the bridges inception in 1997.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 July 2006

Lots of funny things going on in Chiang Rai at the moment, between hatchet men and gremlins on the loose but Mai Sot bridge to Burma, moving to Chiang Rai?

Come on, I don't believe it.

I don't know where the bridge is but to say that major cracks have developed because of 10 years of heavy use is almost assuredly an attmept to cover up that either the bridge was improperly designed or built...or that it was severely overloaded.

suddenly CR forum is as much fun as Thai politics! Vampiric "Supermoderators", structural cracks, things disappearing, beign mysteriously renamed or transfered (where's my inactive post?)...

That bridge in MaeSot mostly gets foot traffic! It's nice to see we have even more Friendship bridges than MaeFaLuang bridges. Where's the MaeFaLuang Friendship Bridge? Right by the WiangKom Inn of course. Or is that the Wiang Inn Come? Wing Come In? Bang On Court?

unfortunately, I never read the chainsaw post. I've got a couple semi-disassembled ones in Arizona...

OK OK.. so Mai Sot is in Tak province, and not Chiang Rai province (as per the news bulletin).

Unfortunately, ThaiVisa does not have a Tak sub-forum.

So do you CR Forum locals want me to move this subject to the CM forum instead? ... or leave it in your backyard?

Up to you... :o

OK OK.. so Mai Sot is in Tak province, and not Chiang Rai province (as per the news bulletin).

Unfortunately, ThaiVisa does not have a Tak sub-forum.

So do you CR Forum locals want me to move this subject to the CM forum instead? ... or leave it in your backyard?

Up to you... :o

Its about 180 km closer to Chiang Mai so it would probably be more appropriate there.

Probably better to delete it, I'm sure Chiang Mai people aren't too interested in either.

OK, big sister oversight instead.

Moved to Chiang Mai forum...

Thanks skb :o So now we are the proud inheritors of a bridge with 5 cm cracks in it. It gets very little in the way of heavy traffic, and is mostly pedestrian, which is a surprising condition for a near new bridge to be in.