BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
kwaiYai

Thai condo law question

I can emphasize with OP and I'm just a renter ...

I rent year long contract in lower Suk condo and have seen the effect of short term renters ... people going in and out of each other's units, multiple adults (or family) staying in small studio slamming doors, leaving trash outside the door, sometimes playing with kids on the hall way at late night, taking over the common facility, more ladies of the night coming and going, humping noise audible from the hallway (this I don't mind as much) and etc.

Other "owners" who live there (opposed to investors) must have been taking action as there are more clearer "no daily or weekly rental allowed" signs everywhere and less people at gym and pool hall area (or it's just not high season yet).

We've just talked about this and he is very thankful for your replies.

He would certainly never snitch on anybody and if nothing can be done legally through the management committee then he will just sell and move out. Although now he is worried about where to move to, as we are surprised by so many similar experiences reported here.

If this is the way things are going then I'm even more glad that I sold my condos a few years back when prices were high!

another .. I have a friend ..

Welcome to Thailand ......

It appears the most favourable solution would be to move. ... wai2.gif that would be my choice.

steven100 says "Welcome to Thailand...". He's lived in Thailand for about 25 years!

Things have changed a lot in recent years, as other posters seem to confirm.

I m renting out two units in a condo in Phuket.
I m really surprise to read some people thinking that a condo would be "only for residents" in a tourist area...+ the fact that almost all agency are promoting them as investement.

Those complains looks like exactly the same you can have in your home country ! Noise, kids,...
Of course, it easier to get a quiet building in low season in a tourist area :) Now what if your building were full of (thai) long term resident ? It would be the same, and maybe worst than occasional tourist.

I believe that everybody should be able to do what he want with his units, as long as courtesy and understanding are present. I always tell my guests that this is a residential property, they should be quiete, and respect the house ryles, they can even be denied access to swimming pool or gym (keycard system) in case house rules are not respected...

Fabien.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. In answer to some of the questions raised:-

We don't know how he is getting customers, my friend thinks maybe he uses a Russian tour agency for the short stay holiday makers.

I'm sure this multiple condo owner isn't advertising a 'hotel' as such, or even considers it a hotel himself. We're saying that with the short stay rentals, of only a few weeks to vacationers, it has effectively become like a hotel within a condo apartment building. Of course vacationers don't have the same respect for the property as the owners do.

The main problems are noisy drunken behaviour, excessive use of pool, gym and sauna (causing increased electricity bills to be shared by owners) and rubbish and cigarette butts about the pool area.

The only 'security' I've seen at his condo is a skinny guy watching the parking lot!

I'll pass this advice on but I guess the answer is for him to sell up & move on! Its is a shame though, before all this it used to be a great place to live.

I don't understand this continuous mention of excessive use of gym and pool. The owner obviously pays his maintenance payments which allows use of the gym for the permitted amount of units he has. If it is a holidaymaker or resident, they can still use the facilities in the allotted times.

Good point. If the guy that bought 15% of all, units and pays of the maintenance fees for 15% of the total fee he should be fine.

This is Thailand. I wish I am able to rent by condo at 1500 Baht a day and collect 45k a month but I am just renting it for 15k a month and often late payment.

For the OP you should have buy a house.

This guy is paying association dues all year on these condos that he owns correct, so lets look at it from a different angle. If the condos are only being used during the busy season then sounds like he is subsidizing everyone in the building the rest of the time. True or not ? I do not think you need to snitch on the guy but talking to management and the association board may help to solve some of the problems. take pictures if you can.

I only rent in my building but the same stuff is happening here. I started to take pictures and show the office lady, one day I told her she was losing control her. Suddenly the signs started popping up, NO DOGS IN THE POOL !!!! Lol yes I took a picture of a dirty dog swimming in the pool. Good luck .

'Welcome to Thailand'.... 'This is Thailand'.....

That's two people reminding us we are in Thailand.

If my question had been "Where am I?" I'd be grateful for that answer. But I rarely get that hung-over these days.

As my question is about Thai condo law, being reminded TIT (i.e. anything goes) and 'why don't you buy a house?' isn't much help to my friend, or anyone else interested in this topic.

Edited by kwaiYai

There are no rules that I am aware of that would prevent an investor from renting a condo on a short term lease...I have rented them for 30 days to accommodate family members...this is normal business...what's the beef?

You do realise that we are talking about Russians here, right? If guards rebuke them for being noisy slobs (and in what language, by the way?) they'll kick the crap out of the guards just as soon as look at them.

Hmm. They dont do that in my building.

I believe that everybody should be able to do what he want with his units, as long as courtesy and understanding are present. I always tell my guests that this is a residential property, they should be quiete, and respect the house ryles, they can even be denied access to swimming pool or gym (keycard system) in case house rules are not respected...

If people behave properly there would be nothing to complain about, but apparently this is what is not happening in this case.

I only rent in my building but the same stuff is happening here. I started to take pictures and show the office lady, one day I told her she was losing control her. Suddenly the signs started popping up, NO DOGS IN THE POOL !!!! Lol yes I took a picture of a dirty dog swimming in the pool.

Your building is very lax. Animals are not permitted in my building at all, under any circumstances. I would not want to live in a building that did allow them in.

If people behave properly there would be nothing to complain about, but apparently this is what is not happening in this case.

Agree with that.

However, There is an AGM every year, where important decision can be made...you can even fire the management team and make your own team...if it has been voted.

I usually saw only a few owner that really are willing to change things. So..."go to the AGM !"

Those issues should be send to the committee members, and they would probably have to be discussed then make a vote in an AGM.

At least, the owner could request to add a topic about those issues for the next AGM.

(NOTE : I think, but not sure, you can even get an Extraordinary general meeting if you ve got a certain percentage, best way is to check Condominium Act.)

Edited by Vermor

"Condominium Act (2008, found on internet so maybe it changed)

Section 42/2
In the case of necessity, the following persons shall have the right to summon an Extraordinary
General Meeting whenever required:
(1) The Manager,
(2) Board by its resolution exceeding a half of the Board Meeting,
(3) Joint owners of not less than twenty percents (20%) of the total votes of the joint owners signing
to make a letter requesting the Meeting to be convened for submission to the Board. In this case,
the Board shall arrange to have the Meeting convened within fifteen days from the date of receiving
such request. Should the Board fail to have the Meeting convened within such prescribed time, The
joint owners of the aforementioned number shall have the right to arrange to have such Extraordinary
General Meeting convened by themselves by appointing a person from them to be their representative
in issuing letters of summoning to attend the Meeting."

And AGM / voted, in Phuket, are all about who can be there or not ! So try to make decision when the russian owner cant be there !"
This is our democracy ;) (yeah I hate it cause during AGM they made bad decision like this in my own condo as well...)