BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
kwaiYai

Thai condo law question

Complain at the owners meeting and rally some supporters before hand.

Hes not breaking the law, unless there's a clause in the owners contract of not sub letting to holiday makers.

• Like 1

The Condo Act does state:

Section 17/1

In the case where a space in the condominium is set aside as a place to carry out the business, the system on entering and exiting such area shall be specifically set up in order to prevent the disturbance on the peaceful enjoyment of the joint owners.

No person shall be permitted to engage in any trade transactions in the condominium except it is a trade transaction in the area of the condominium designated in accordance with paragraph one.

Q Is renting out a room a ‘trade transaction’?

Also renting out the room is not actually the problem.

The co –owners who rents out a room also ‘rents out’ the common area-without the permission of the other co –owners.

Hows he renting out the common area, if its available to be used by all residents?

So renters cant use the pool now because their renting?

• Like 1

Complain at the owners meeting and rally some supporters before hand.

Hes not breaking the law, unless there's a clause in the owners contract of not sub letting to holiday makers.

Actually, he MAY be breaking ("ignoring" might be a better word...) immigration/guest reporting & tax laws, as mentioned earlier in this topic.

Hes not breaking the law, ....

As previously pointed out, short-term hotel-style rentals are subject to having a hotel licence, which he probably doesn't have. So he probably is breaking the law. But not condo law. He probably isn't declaring the revenue either, which would be another offence.

Once again in case anyone missed it earlier.

Legally a hotel = daily rentals.

Weekly is not hotel legally and is unregulated.

Bottom line is, unless something specifically in your condo rules stating no rentals allowed (highly unlikely) then ................. get over it, move or try to change rules at committee (unlikely and a big head ache). Belly acheing on TV about your bias perceptions of justice don't serve any use at all.

Not an uncommon issue with condos everywhere in the world.  That is why there are condo rules, some good, some bad.  Heck the condo nazis at my family place in Florida had gotten to the point of requiring every resident's and tenant's ID, social security number, criminal background checks, knocking on and going door to door etc.  While I understand the ideas behind it, I also think they went too far.  Many people over the years would sub let their unit to snow birds or other long term visitors of months.  Arguably a bit better than the unit sitting closed and shuttered and being un monitored.  The place was never like an air bnb but was starting to get that way as there clearly many many in and out visitors, people at the pool that I didn't know, etc. 

Things have changed since 2014 when this thread was last active.

To avoid confusion I'm going to close it.