Koh Tao headman offers Bt1m cash if evidence proves his family implicated in the tourist murder

webfact

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than ever now a reason to not go to THAILAND.

To be honest, the whole destruction of the crime scene at the begining means those that are involved are going to be difficult to pin. More than ever now a reason to not go to Koh Tao. This is an absolute shambles, and hopefully the press will report it as that.

• Like 1

Mmmmm a thai guy with 1 million baht just laying around that he can hand out….. well I wonder how he made that.

HAD the police tied a family relative to this heinous murder.

Wonder which family member would've claimed the 713k bt reward??

Just a thought................

• Like 1

Mmmmm a thai guy with 1 million baht just laying around that he can hand out….. well I wonder how he made that.

Plenty of legit people I know could raise that easy. It is the other 100+ million that someone has already paid to cover it up that would be trickier to "organize".

• Like 1

So who is conducting the DNA tests exactly? A solitary police lab technician? How can we be sure that if the police say there isn't a match that this is really the case?

If the person(s) providing/publishing the results has been corrupted, we'll never see the real perps brought to justice.

It's almost as if the police rounded up this guy's family in a response to public pressure just so they could say they didn't do it.

"Sorry Mr. headman, we have to pretend we are investigating you thoroughly because everyone is watching. Don't worry though, we'll say the DNA doesn't match and then it'll be over and you can get on with your lives."

Now thats about as twisted of logic as you can get.

At first everybody here at TV is angry that the powerful members of society are above the law.

Then the police disprove you by investigating and publicly fingering a member of an influential family.

And now all you can say when your accusations have been proven wrong is that it was an elaborate police scheme of reverse psychology.

Pretty funny.

Why do all these farangs on TV think they should be the puppet masters of the Thai Police or the Thai General or of Thai Society?

Why do so many TV members think it perfectly reasonable to make demands that Thai Police test everyones DNA in a huge dragnet when they would complain like the dickens if it were ever attempted by the Police in their own Western European countries?

Yes, it is very twisted, and I would love to be wrong. The police have claimed on at least 2 occasions that arrests are imminent and that case will be solved. Yet here we are. I am a strong advocate of the police just shutting up and doing their job, but they don't. They blab non stop to the media and then cry fowl when their claims and accusations fall short.

How many times have we read in the papers that this group or another is going to be targeted, clamped down on, or raided? All this does is give notice to those involved time to clean up their act and hide the evidence. Then it's back to business as usual.

This case is different however. This time the international community is watching, and they expect results. We've also had the Scottish fellow posting photos online and making claims about local mafias. The police couldn't ignore it as they usually do, they have had to respond.

So with much fanfare they DNA test and interview this influential family, which for some reason they failed to do before, all equal under the law and all that, and then release them.

We are not pretty much back to square one with no arrests and one 'suspect' who is hiding/studying in Bangkok. The whole thing stinks.

So we have to ask, what do we know?

We know that influential figures in Thailand have in the past and still do literally get away with murder (and a litany of other crimes).

We know that the murdered couple were drinking at establishments owned/run by local influential figures.

We have seen photos of one of these influential figures supposedly harassing the female victim.

We have seen several photos of one of the figures on CTV running away from the crime scene, with police on the crime scene, and again online thanks to 'terrified' Scotsman.

We know that influential figures know and feel they are above the law, and it's safe to assume this lack of fear of repercussions will make them more likely to do things that your average person wouldn't.

So really, as improbable as my theorising might seem, it is not impossible.

If I was a real conspiracy theorist, I might put forward the notion that the reason the police are taking DNA from every migrant worker on the island, is so that if something like this happens again, they'll be able to conveniently smear it around at the scene of the crime. Of course maybe they're just doing it to make any would be migrant murderers think twice before swinging the hoe.

The nature of what happened there is horrific and heinous. The photos that the Thai Police leaked will hopefully never be seen by the families. Meanwhile, the monsters that were able to do the deed are still out there. Are they being protected? Can the Thai Police stop blaming social media and each other and find the perps? Is anyone in Thai government aghast at what happened? TAT is saying tourism will recover which is as insensitive a statement that could possibly be made. Would love to see someone Thai step up to the plate and make a stand to find the monsters behind this, and maybe even have them send the TAT managers to the UK to visit the families of the victims to deliver flowers and see how they are faring.

• Like 1

And ofcourse this poor man made his fortune by growing coconuts!!whistling.gif

After reading the the Op, am I the only one even more confused??

I don't know Koh Tao, but many rich island families in Thailand have made their money by selling off land. It is worth a fortune but not so long ago was just cheap farm land.

• Like 2

'As a local village headman in Koh Tao announced to give one million baht cash reward to police if they have substantial evidence to implicate him and his family in the murder of the two British tourists,'

Erm, might want to think about that a little more.......or at least have a family meeting first.

Sounds like a childs last ditch attempt at proving his family's innocence to the public, it would of sounded more credible if he offered up the one million to the reward fund regardless of who the killers are.

Of course he and the police will be taking this as an acceptance of guilt and if theres substantial evidence he's willing to pay one million for that evidence to prove otherwise or for a lesser sentence plea bargain.

I witnessed a Thai murder on Samui over tens ago, the victim was the son of a connected island family and the murderers a prominent Samui business owner from the south of Thailand and his right hand man. After months of negociations at the business premises with van loads of Surat police the younger brother of the right hand man was charged with it, he did less than three years.

• Like 1

Why do I fail to feel the least sympathy for this 'headman' and the fact that his oh so honest business is now in jeopardy, but not enough to stop him from offering a million baht reward (to whom by the way, the police ?) for clearing his name ?

Koh Tao is no exception, all Thai islands are mafia nests, the smaller the tighter, and one of the reasons (perhaps the main reason) is that police there are less numerous, thus easier to buy and implicate into all kinds of scams and abuse.

I'd love to say that the bar and restaurants owners in these islands are pleasant, friendly, and give an impression of being thoroughly honest but anyone who's been to these little 'paradises' knows that it's exactly the opposite (and my apologies to the handful of owners who are truly honest and nice).

• Like 2

They will lose millions if tourists stop going to Koh tao, so its in their interest to find the real killers, although they may think a fix up will do

No they won't lose millions. How many people have died here and how many fix ups were made? They just have to find someone and the whole thing will calm down. Fix it before high season and tourist numbers will be the same (or lower for other reasons). Fact.

• Like 2

Everyone on TV blew a gasket when the one local Police Captain said a Thai could not have committed this crime yet from the start near every TV farang has acted out of an equal presumption that the crime could never have been committed by a fellow farang.

That, folks, is called irony. Or is it hypocrisy?

If evidence points to a farang, so be it. It matters not where the person(s) come from, only that this person is in fact the real perpetrator.

They have tested all the foreigners they think might have been involved, and they have come up clean. I don't recall an instance of the police ever covering up for or trying to protect a farang. If they had a DNA match to a foreigner, that foreigner would be in jail and the police would be enjoying photo shoots and pointing fingers all their way to the front page.

Last but not least.... it is the police themselves who have said the DNA comes from an 'asian' person. So that pretty much rules out any and all farang. So yeah, it's a pretty safe 'presumption' to make.

So I am terribly sorry, when the evidence is considered, there is neither any irony nor any hypocrisy involved here.

Plenty of legit people I know could raise that easy. It is the other 100+ million that someone has already paid to cover it up that would be trickier to "organize".

1milion baht is chump change

why we retired folks need show 800,000 to get our extensions an we dont work

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Bangkok Suspect Cleared of Connection To Britons' Murder

By Khaosod English

BANGKOK – Police say they have cleared another primary suspect from connection to the murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao island that took place over a week ago.

Warot Toowichian, 22, was initially sought by the police on the suspicion that he left Koh Tao island shortly after David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were mudered there last week. Mr. Warot was thought to have been hiding in Bangkok since.

But police questioned Mr. Warot and established that he was not on the island when the murder took place, deputy police chief Pol.Gen. Ake Angsananond said yesterday. Therefore, he is no longer being treated as a potential suspect, Pol.Gen. Ake said.

Meanwhile, Mr. Warot's father, a ‘village headman’ (local administrator) on Koh Tao, denied the allegation that his family is a part of a "mafia" network using its underground influence to stall the police investigation into the murder.

"We are not mafia or influential figures as reported in the news," Woraphan Toowichian said at a press conference yesterday. "My family has been helping authorites … and police in the investigation since the first day."

He continued, "The media coverage has saddened me. It's really serious, and it damages me, my family, and my relatives."

To prove his innocence, Mr. Woraphan said he would give police one million baht if they uncover evidence that links any of his family members to the murder of the two Britons.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1411635247

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2014-09-25

The low road it is then. How sadly predictable.

General, ball's in your court.

Guy on the left is the the one on the left in seans photo

Seems he hangs to the left...

Let's just hope they find the guilty one and he hangs from the neck

Strangely though, no one speaks about the guy that was on the right in Sean's picture...

Total silence about him since the picture has been taken...

blink.png

Guy on the left is the the one on the left in seans photo

Seems he hangs to the left...

Let's just hope they find the guilty one and he hangs from the neck

Strangely though, no one speaks about the guy that was on the right in Sean's picture...

Total silence about him since the picture has been taken...

blink.png

some have said he is a policeman

Would be interesting if a independent investigator from outside Thailand could come in to do a investigation. There is over 700,000 baht on offer to someone who can find the killer.

Added to that if one of the family members was guilty there would be an additional 1,000,000 Baht.

My suggestion would be to anonymously interview the long term farang diving instructors on the island. There are many.

They have little to do after their day's work is done & spend their time gossiping in the bars, not much else to do on Ko Tau.

They know everything that goes on on Ko Tau & may be able to point the army in the right direction with regards to cover ups by the local mafia, they may by now be hearing some whispers.

• Like 1