Police reveal how Phuket's public beaches were rented out - for billions

webfact

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the other side tourist need sun beds and umbrellas. so someone have to rent.

Your right and you will see the sun beds again, if done right, the operators will be licensed by city hall and the money will go into public coffers, receipts issued with an auditor to check up on things.

If the money had gone into public coffers in the first place there would be no corruption charges at this point.

I am not up on Thai civic law however most municipal governments generally can issue permits, and charge for the permits, to operate businesses on public land when they can show it is in the publics interest.

This is the system they are trying to setup in Patong for the next high season.

A limited amount of beach vendors which will be licensed by the city hall with strict laws about the amount and price of the chairs.

• Like 2

today in pattaya the police and military were measuring beach vendors spaces,the vendors were noticably ''pissed'' i was told the rows of chairs and umberellas which sometimes are 5 deep,will be reduced to (2) rows per section..as we know on high tide it is impossible to walk the beach as the vendors take up all the space....this is terrific news.....sawadee (love the crap)

Yep agreed, one or two rows of umbrellas with plenty of space between the sets and you will make the beach look 1000 times better. Then get rid of the hawkers trying to sell me everything from giant bic lighters to candy floss every 3 f*cking seconds while I was trying to relax and I might actually go back...... which has only happened once in the 10 years I have lived here, due to the congestion and hawkers I head well away from Pattaya and Jomtien if I want to take the kids to the beach. More then happy to walk across a road and put in an order for what I want at a shop....

Edited by wade72
  • Like 1

Haha We have been reading about the poor venders who cannot now work on the beach!

Now we see how much money is involved

How can it be that these poor people are even petitioning His Majesty.

These vendors are not poor. They are scammers.

Scammers need to be put in gaol.

Regards

• Like 2

"In court, Yutthana was sentenced to six months in jail and fined B4,000. Because he had pleaded guilty, the sentence was halved to three months and B2,000, and the jail term was suspended for a year."

It is a strange twist in the Thai legal systems that for many crimes there is a potential for long jail sentences, but the max fines are very low. 2k Baht is less than a day's income off a handful of sun beds.

Things won't really change until the consequences get a lot more severe. Will they actually start enforcing some of the jail terms instead of letting the wealthy get away with a few baht slap on the wrist? I'd expect it will always depend on who knows who.

It will be interesting to see if there are real consequences for these corrupt government officials, but I doubt any of the sun bed operators have much to worry about. Unless I'm misunderstanding they kept up their end of the contract with an official "representing" the government.

• Like 1

My understanding of Pattaya Beach is that the vendors are allocated a 15m x 15m stretch of beach space. Payment is made directly to City Hall under contract. There is no opportunity to exploit other businesses as is/was the situation in Phuket. What the operators did in Pattaya though was to simply take over all of the available beach space and establish semi permanent storage areas leaving equipment and chairs etc on the beach overnight. They were also operating beyond the contracted hours (6pm). There has been an improvement since the coup so I would expect with constant supervision (ok now im trying not to be cynical) Pattaya Beach will continue to improve.

Then again maybe not. Time will tell.

a map of Kata Beach clearly showing how the entire beach had been divided up, and naming the operators for each of the 31 slices, which run from the top of the beach to about halfway to the high tide line.

The map notes that the total length of the beach is 1,497.2 metres and the space for sunbeds takes up 1,087 metres of that length

That shows some sophisticated organization. So, Take that! All you Thai-bashers who are always going on about how Thais are disorganized goofballs!

T

I like that comment!!! I hear it all the time about the "disorganized, stupid thais who apparently don't know how to do anything right"..... I hear that almost as much as I hear about the "highly intelligent foreigner being scammed" by the "disorganized, stupid thais who apparently don't know how to do anything right"... interesting!

• Like 2