Police reveal how Phuket's public beaches were rented out - for billions

I'd be happy for the sunbed vendors to get the slap on the wrist that the sentence from six years ago represents.

It's those that were taking the money that need to do the time.

Any bets that it will be the other way round?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of what that money could do for the education system and to bring the quality of life up for the poor. I really hope this is not a blip on the radar. It will take a strong will to stand up to the wealthy.

It looks to me that some hotels were in on the deal

I don't think they any choice, Pay or have the mafia pollute the and intimidate your costumers on the beach in front of your hotel.

today in pattaya the police and military were measuring beach vendors spaces,the vendors were noticably ''pissed'' i was told the rows of chairs and umberellas which sometimes are 5 deep,will be reduced to (2) rows per section..as we know on high tide it is impossible to walk the beach as the vendors take up all the space....this is terrific news.....sawadee (love the crap)

Same is true in Jomtien today: tape measures, about 5-6 cops with other official looking types at various sites up and down beach. Umbrella people didn't look too happy.

"“Tomorrow about 15 sunbed operators will be summoned to the police station to be charged with trespassing on public land." I think that approach is a bit harsh. They dealt with officials and paid fees so they could do business. That went to pockets of corrupt politicians for sure, but who else would they get permission from? Report it to police? Ghostbusters? Who you gonna call? I think losing their investment in umbrellas and related vending stock is punishment enough. As far as government abuse, triple damages of money they stole from people of Thailand, 15 years minimum in prison hard labor.

I have to admit the permission argument is persuasive to me. In most places, permission to use public space is granted by the municipality. In Bangkok, for example, all those booths that line both sides of the sidewalk on Silom Road, are licensed by the Bangkok Municipality. The licensing is enforced by the Municipal Police or Thetsabaan. I suppose any honest business man (or even one who is less than honest) would think a license from the municipal administration, signed by the Mayor, would be legitimate. Of course you have to pay a licensing fee, that's not bribery.tongue.png

Who's to say the hotels or their locally employed managers aren't neck deep in this. For example.

The locally employed manager/ senior staff member of the hotel says to the mayor we want to reserve the 80 meter beach front of our hotel for our guest sunbeds. If you give this guy ( who just happens to be my brother in law ) a concession to manage beachfront the hotel will pay him and he will pay you. The hotel will expense it and the leasee ( my BIL) will pay the tax. Your name won't appear anywhere. You'll be clean and the stupid farang owners/ international management company of the hotel will not question it deeply as their whole existence relies on their direct beach access.

It's still wrong and it could be way off base but I dont think anything in phuket us as cut and dried as we'd like to believe

Democracy is so overrated....nothing better than a (mostly) benevolent dictatorship to clean up the mess....so far, it seems good

Benevolent Dictatorship is a Urban Legend. Not in history has one turned into anything good. Tito came close, but no cigar.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." Winston Churchill

Democracy is so overrated....nothing better than a (mostly) benevolent dictatorship to clean up the mess....so far, it seems good

Benevolent Dictatorship is a Urban Legend. Not in history has one turned into anything good. Tito came close, but no cigar.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." Winston Churchill

Jigme Wangchuk did a pretty damn good job prior to abdicating the throne in Bhutan!

• Like 1

I'm not much of a beach person so I don't know... how much does (did) it cost to rent a chair & umbrella for an hour?

Assuming these are public beaches, then whatever the cost, it should be a zero budget arrangement - the income going to pay for the cost of the furniture and vendor's salary and nothing more.

The Mayor of Karon did not keep these "billions" - many people higher up than him also benefited.

I would like to see the names of those above the Mayor - this will be interesting reading, if he squeals. I am sure these names will include those with guns and politicians (or, more likely, their bag-men).

• Like 1

but the other side tourist need sun beds and umbrellas. so someone have to rent.

Why on earth should someone have to rent. There are many places (but not in this country) where the municipality put sunbeds on the beaches for free and the nearby restaurants, bars and hotels will supply food and drink for those that want it. Hawkers are not allowed on these beaches. I hope Thailand can also adopt such practices.

• Like 2