Nha Trang vs Sihanoukville

themechanic

Which is safer? Read some nasty things about Sihanoukville.

Don't really want to get mugged or killed, and I own an expensive laptop that I hope to be able to leave safely in my room.

In theory, if safety is a major factor of your trip, choose Nha Trang over SHV. However, I have never been robbed in SHV but was snatch-robbed twice in Vietnam (Vung Tao and Chao Doc). Either will be a billion times safer than Philippines, so I'd say it is a toss-up.

Just stay sober and travel with friends at night.

Which is safer? Read some nasty things about Sihanoukville.

Don't really want to get mugged or killed, and I own an expensive laptop that I hope to be able to leave safely in my room.

Depends on your karma, so pretty much unanswerable. Even statistics are meaningless in the end. Can't tell someone who just got mugged that a place is really safe "on average" and can't tell someone who's lived there for years without any incident that a place is quite unsafe. It only takes that moment of 'your number is up' to change it all.

I guess you really need to be "in the specific zone for each of these countries". Some hate VN due to scams, aggressive behavior, etc. and some couldn't be happier there. Some look at Cambodia and run for the exit, etc.

• 2 weeks later...