Aonang Beach - Supermarket?

iancnx

I am spending some time in Aonang Beach Krabi at the end of the month. I need access to supermarket shopping for our toddler, or at the least a mini Tesco Lotus Express or similar. Need more than the average 7/11 range of goods. Any Lotus Express?

I understand there is a supermarket 13km away. How easy is access to this? Cost of taxi both ways for example. Thanks for any local advice.

There is a mid sized Tesco Lotus in Ao Nang at the head of the main road that leads to the beach near the intersection of a road that leads to Krabi Town (as it is referred to). I can send you Google Map/Earth coordinates if you need them. Every tuk tuk, song thaew and taxi driver knows how to find it.

In Krabi Town - there are the large mini mall size Big C and Tesco Lotus on the Route 4 not too far from the Krabi Airport. There is also a Makro - standard size on Route 4 leading to Phuket.

I have Google Earth / Google Map coordinates for these... I posted them on Thaivisa Forums ... I'll go find them and post a link ...

There are other shops - local 'Mom and Pop' shops that have foods and general merchandise for families.

The average distance to the places in Krabi Town - from Ao Nang would be about 22 kilometers - give or take. I ride my rented motorbike there quite often.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

Here is a re-post of the Ao Nang - Krabi Town Coordinates...

Important locations and landmarks in Krabi 'Town', and Ao Nang, Krabi Province, Thailand.

Copy the coordinates inside the parentheses and paste into Google Earth or Google Maps. And it will go to the precise point.

[ Example: for the Thai Immigration Office location this is what should be copied out of the parentheses - 8° 3'6.40"N, 98°54'16.00"E ] and pasted into Google Maps or Google Earth

Thai Immigration Office, Krabi Town,
Latitude 8° 3'6.40"N Longitude 98°54'16.00"E (8° 3'6.40"N, 98°54'16.00"E)

Big C Krabi Town,
Latitude 8° 6'30.26"N Longitude 98°55'37.79"E (8° 6'30.26"N, 98°55'37.79"E)

Tesco Lotus, Krabi Town,
Latitude 8° 6'30.67"N Longitude 98°56'19.17"E (8° 6'30.67"N, 98°56'19.17"E)

Giant Crab Sculpture / Statue ... (Landmark), Krabi Town
Latitude 8° 4'2.18"N Longitude 98°55'1.46"E ( 8° 4'2.18"N, 98°55'1.46"E)

Sea Eagle Statue, Zero '0' KM Marker, Krabi Town, Next to Krabi River,
Latitude 8° 4'0.86"N Longitude 98°55'1.75"E (8° 4'0.86"N, 98°55'1.75"E)

Makro, Krabi Town,
Latitude 8° 7'3.76"N Longitude 98°52'20.77"E (8° 7'3.76"N, 98°52'20.77"E

Broken Rock Promontory Mtn. near Ao Nang Beach, Krabi,
Latitude 8° 1'37.02"N Longitude 98°49'41.61"E (8° 1'37.02"N, 98°49'41.61"E)

NOTES: I have used this format because it is what I know and it is how I can capture the Latitude and Longitude with the devices I have and the software I have with which to read them. The intention of this post is to provide location information for Krabi Province because I have found Google Map and Google Earth 'map' searches not to be well indexed for sites in Krabi 'Town' and Ao Nang. Maybe updates by Google will come soon. Example a search for Tesco on a Google Map Tesco Near Krabi does not reveal Tesco. A normal Google (non map) search is likely to find it - but that necessarily reveal the GPS location. One particular example is the Thai Immigration Office was moved a few years back and some mapping systems still show the old location - if they show anything. And a physical street search following signs can take one to a dead end street because signage is not at critical turns on the route.

I just now noticed at time of posting that Google seems to have updated some of the locations in Krabi Province (indexed - searchable)

I captured these latitudes and longitudes using my camera and retrieved the location using a photo app that reads metadata. I then went to Google Earth and made them more accurate by physically moving the pins to front center mass of the object. Then took a new reading from Google Earth. I plan on adding more of these as it is so easy to do using the camera.

• Like 1

There is a mid sized Tesco Lotus in Ao Nang at the head of the main road that leads to the beach near the intersection of a road that leads to Krabi Town (as it is referred to). I can send you Google Map/Earth coordinates if you need them. Every tuk tuk, song thaew and taxi driver knows how to find it.

In Krabi Town - there are the large mini mall size Big C and Tesco Lotus on the Route 4 not too far from the Krabi Airport. There is also a Makro - standard size on Route 4 leading to Phuket.

I have Google Earth / Google Map coordinates for these... I posted them on Thaivisa Forums ... I'll go find them and post a link ...

There are other shops - local 'Mom and Pop' shops that have foods and general merchandise for families.

The average distance to the places in Krabi Town - from Ao Nang would be about 22 kilometers - give or take. I ride my rented motorbike there quite often.

The mid size one locally in your first para would be perfect. If you have directions (or a landmark) to that I would be grateful. Many thanks.

Also typical cost of a taxi? How are the taxi's? Are they metered? Well regulated? Thanks.

Edited by iancnx

The mid size one locally in your first para would be perfect. If you have directions (or a landmark) to that I would be grateful. Many thanks.

Also typical cost of a taxi? How are the taxi's? Are they metered? Well regulated? Thanks.

Tesco Lotus, Ao Nang, Krabi

Latitude 8° 2'24.76"N Longitude 98°50'7.66"E (8° 2'24.76"N, 98°50'7.66"E)

There are sedan taxis that are metered - but few of them. There are many Song Thaews of various colors and sizes, There are many side car Tuk Tuks .... typical charges for inside Ao Nang - about 40 Baht. from any particular place to another ... not necessarily from one extreme end to the other. A Taxi from Ao Nang to Krabi Airport is 500 Baht. There are Song Thaews that go there too for fairly cheap... There is a big white bus - not extremely big - but a real bus that runs all day into the evening about every hour or so - making many stops on the Ao Nang Tourist Road leading to the Beach Road... (not officials names). These buses go to Krabi Town - making various stops - turns around at the Airport and comes back ... The tour shops have complete info of various types of transportation and bus stops... Actually it is all quite easy ... Plus you can always rent a motorcycle by the day, week and month .... I rent mine at a decent place for 3000 a month with insurance - no license needed - it is a tourist area and they don't care... There are rip offs in renting motorcycles so watch out - meaning high charges -- and some still demand holding passports - DON'T DO IT... Others don't make this illegal demand.

• Like 1

Tesco Lotus, Ao Nang, Krabi

Latitude 8° 2'24.76"N Longitude 98°50'7.66"E (8° 2'24.76"N, 98°50'7.66"E)

There are sedan taxis that are metered - but few of them. There are many Song Thaews of various colors and sizes, There are many side car Tuk Tuks .... typical charges for inside Ao Nang - about 40 Baht. from any particular place to another ... not necessarily from one extreme end to the other. A Taxi from Ao Nang to Krabi Airport is 500 Baht. There are Song Thaews that go there too for fairly cheap... There is a big white bus - not extremely big - but a real bus that runs all day into the evening about every hour or so - making many stops on the Ao Nang Tourist Road leading to the Beach Road... (not officials names). These buses go to Krabi Town - making various stops - turns around at the Airport and comes back ... The tour shops have complete info of various types of transportation and bus stops... Actually it is all quite easy ... Plus you can always rent a motorcycle by the day, week and month .... I rent mine at a decent place for 3000 a month with insurance - no license needed - it is a tourist area and they don't care... There are rip offs in renting motorcycles so watch out - meaning high charges -- and some still demand holding passports - DON'T DO IT... Others don't make this illegal demand.

Really helpful JD, very much appreciated.

Easy enough ... I have lived here for 4 months and had to find most everything on foot and on motorbike - hunt and search as only a few months Google maps was not indexed well for site in Krabi Province...

One addition - there is a honest to goodness real bakery in Ao Nang... less than a kilometer from the Tesco. I'll get the coordinates and post them soon.... Check back from time to time... The bakery is a European style bakery with great breads and lots of pastries... and a good Farang type breakfast. U&P Bakery...

A copy/paste of the coordinates for each site into Google Maps will reveal the entire area

Example - as posted ... just copy the coordinates inside the parenthesis (Tesco - above ) ..... 8° 2'24.76"N, 98°50'7.66"E

Note the comma between the Latitude and Longitude coordinates...

Also Google Maps can be switched to Google Earth which supplies the building, vegetation and terrain... Google Maps primarily displays roads and streets...

• Like 1