Should I stay or leave Thailand?

benj005

Strange comments from many of the posters here telling him to go back to a $10 an hour job? You people have low standards.

Unless you have no resources at all, then working 30 hour weeks for $10 an hour (and no medical benefits) is not a career worth worrying about. And definitely not when considering living expenses in NJ.

Do a year in Thailand then make up your mind. Start learning to save some money. As a single person - even on 35 K a mnth - at least save 5 to 10 k baht each mnth

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to go where the money is, and save for your retirement. Governments aren't going to do it for you, they are scrambling to cut down on their welfare bills. Just look what happened in Greece. In Australia, the ratio of people who are working to those who are retired is projected to fall from 4:1 to 2:1 - in other words, not enough taxes to pay for pensions.

At 45, you have about 15 years to get a nest egg accumulated. Do it wisely, because there are a lot of sharks out there in the financial waters.

You need to go where the money is, and save for your retirement. Governments aren't going to do it for you, they are scrambling to cut down on their welfare bills. Just look what happened in Greece. In Australia, the ratio of people who are working to those who are retired is projected to fall from 4:1 to 2:1 - in other words, not enough taxes to pay for pensions.

At 45, you have about 15 years to get a nest egg accumulated. Do it wisely, because there are a lot of sharks out there in the financial waters.

What happened in Greece? Did they cut social security for the over 65's?

Do you have other assets. People can't judge your girlfriend only you can do that. Many people live here that are in their 40's. Good lifestyle for many.

Chicken George... going slightly off topic but are you from Iowa by any chance ?

b

No.. short and sweet. Lol

Haven't got any chickens either. . Hope the person you knew there was a good guy.

ok thanks, I am trying to find any TV members that live in Iowa thats all, and your moniker of chicken George gave me the impression you were from Iowa thats all..

my post is going to sound harsh as well

45 with no appreciable assets, no slush fund or fall back position

staying with a GF who may or may not stay with you for the duration

relying on work prospects over the long term in Thailand which are tenuous best in the sense, of the "hire and fire" way things are done in schools here, which may be ok in some sense if a person is decently compensated, which at the salary levels you are talking about it's not decently compensated.

As careers go, this is the time generally in a persons life where their maximum earning capacity is being realized, ie this is as good as its going to get and you need to be maximizing that capacity

if you are considering staying in Thailand for the long term at the behest of your GF, you may as well start paying your subscription to the Pattaya balcony divers club , as if your not careful thats were it could end up, honestly I think your using the wrong head to think this through.

Not trying to p*ss on your parade, but you serious need to do some hard thinking as regards what your about to embark on.

I appreciate the kick in the ass. I know the mess I've gotten myself into. Who knows. Maybe the US government will take care of people like me. There are a lot of us in America who don't have retirement due to the recession. I believe its a third of the population. A lot of people.

Soutpeel and Gecko are on the money. 45 is pretty late in the game to be starting over. And Thailand is about the last place you want to come to start building a nestegg...you're not going be saving very much at 35k/mo. The advice I would normally give is to stay in the US and start working/saving your ass off. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you possess any marketable skills that can land you a decent paying job in the US either. You may be better off trying to find employment in places like the Middle East or Japan/Korea. You can certainly come to Thailand and live off the 35k/mo, which isn't horrible. But if you're worried about retirement, not the right move. As for the US Gov, welfare and food stamps is no way to live.

lol... I guess I will just kill myself. You should read "Start Late Finish Rich" by David Beck. There are plenty of stories in the book about people who started in their early 50s and were able to retire by the time they were 65.

I have a special needs degree. There are always jobs for people who want to work with disabled students. It's a high demand field.

This is what I'm going to do. I already have a position as an aide back home. it's not great but it does get my foot in the door. Once I obtain a special ed job I will be making over $50k a year. That's only for 9 months. The rest of the time I can increase my income by opening a store for the summer. My dad has over 20 years experience, and he wants to open another cafe. Before we sold our old cafe my father was generating $140k for 4 months a year. I live down by the shore.

In 20 years I will have an OK retirement plan. But I need to be aggressive. Putting money away from teaching and the cafe if I decide to go this route. Finally, I can also look to become an administrator and double my income. That's a good possibility. Finally, I can always double dip. Retire at 62 but not really retire. Just take another position while I receive my pension. Other teachers do it.

It's not so bad I guess. smile.png

You've come to your senses. This is the best way forward for you. Stay positive and best of luck. Look back in 20 years time and you probably won't regret your decision. If she's the right partner, you'll still be together.

Good lord, a lot of rubbish, nonsense and a large pile of "cream della negativity". Since this thread is specifically bloated with U.S citizens, I ask you guys where is your "American optimism"?

The US and EU zone will go "down". Down as in further down: meaning in increased jobless rates, economic stagnation and so forth. The Dollar won't go down from overnight. It's a process and far away from being "conspiracy". China and Russia have dumped the USD for good. Read the right books, listen to the right people, turn off your TV, avoid CNN/FOX NEWS etc.

America will go down, it's just the question of when. Nice summary: http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/34-signs-that-america-is-in-decline

I wonder if people do attentively read other peoples post before posting, seriously. To get things straight: Thailand seems to be here and there still 3rd world (logistics, infrastructure, water quality etc). No doubt. However due to it's increasing transformation it has become a NIC (Newly industrialized country - NICs are countries whose economies have not yet reached developed country status but have, in a macroeconomic sense, outpaced their developing counterparts. Another characterization of NICs is that of nations undergoing rapid economic growth (usually export-oriented).) I wonder if anyone cares to read and extend their education... If we want to be correct, Thailand is a NIC and is gradually moving forward.. or not...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newly_industrialized_country

Back to topic: it's your life pal, you take full control and responsibility. I advise you not to listen to anyone but your heart. There are many factors and circumstances. However, I suggest you try to lookout for a better paying job. First things first, meaning you got to look after yourself right now and I can understand that your girl has become part of your life. What is 45 nowadays?! 45! So what?! Live your life to the fullest, experience it the way you want it.

Make yourself a list of pros and cons but at the end it's your heart and gut feeling. Like I said, try to look after something "new", maybe try different schools, educations sectors etc. Be proactive, contact schools and unis.

If you see no progress and you feel "stuck", you can still go back home to the States keeping in mind that you tried everything to stay in TH. Nevertheless, life is all about tryouts, failures and learning. I don't know where your opportunities going to pop out, but you should look out for them.

You really think Americas best days are in the past? When do you think this will all take place? I'd like to think that America is still the land of opportunity.

I agree with your statement. What's 45 nowadays. When I talk to people online and they tell me I have to get that retirement or else my life will be ruined I know I'm talking to someone that has lived in a different generation. Their generation stayed at one job for 40 years, and went to Florida to retire. I'm not saying that we should spend money and forget about saving. That would be bad. I'm just saying that the field has changed now. I think my generation and people younger than me are going to view retirement differently. To be honest I don't want to retire at 65. Maybe I'd like to open a cafe and be an entrepreneur until I'm 90. I'm just saying...

Thanks for the input.

Do you have other assets. People can't judge your girlfriend only you can do that. Many people live here that are in their 40's. Good lifestyle for many.

Chicken George... going slightly off topic but are you from Iowa by any chance ?

b

Haven't got any chickens either. . Hope the person you knew there was a good guy.

So why does everyone call you Chicken George? Were you in Roots?

Saudi is one of the highest paid places for teachers.

Yes have a friend who works there- 6 in a class, very well paid, tax free ,all accommodation, car, driver etc etc.

But his school demands a Phd , the weather is appalling , the OP could not take his girlfriend- only his wife.

She would probably not be allowed out on her own, no alcohol- to be honest unless you are totally driven by money- who on earth would want to live in a strict Muslim country.

Back to the OP , there is nothing here to support you later in life. You have 15-20 years to build up a pension pot- not long.

Go home- work non stop- get promotions ( PS go to the UK - lots of jobs going and the teacher pension scheme is not bad)

If you stop working at 60 you may have another 30 yrs to go, without any assets the future would be truly bleak- sorry

Hi Ben,

My position is somewhat different to yours in that I'm 69 in November, Have a g/f I've been with for some time who loves me (as I do her) and who looks after me like a king. So why am I replying to your post?

After a lifetime of good health in August 2013 I was hit with the bombshell that I had bladder cancer. The treatment is ongoing (4 operations in the UK so far and some Chemo). It has been a wake up call for me and I try to enjoy every day (my doctor says the cancer won't kill me, but if they are not able to clear it, some years down the line I may have to have my bladder removed)

I'm sorry if I witter on.

Back in the 70's there was a record released by Mick Jackson (not Michael), called 'Weekend', there is one line in the lyrics that is the truest thing I've ever heard, it goes 'You've got to make the best of life while you are young'.

At 45 you are still young, and as for making the best of life, I think it means finding happiness. I'd rather be poor (and I have been in the past) and happy, than money and asset rich but unhappy. Being financially sound will help, but does not automatically bring happiness (the only thing that money can't buy) (apart from poverty that is!!).

So ask yourself are you happy here with your girlfriend , if you are then you have years (wish I was 45 again) for as Mr. McCorber says 'Something will turn up' (Charles Dickens).

But best wishes in whatever choice or path you take.

• Like 2

Obviously you have not heard about all the horror stories presently going on in North American, formerly the USA.

If you were informed, you wouldn't think about returning.

Even main stream news is confirming all your personal sovereignty and country sovereignty is gone with Presidential orders.

Would you feel safe in a country with no constitutional rights and open borders?

Would you feel safe in a country that imports Ebola patients (for the first time in history) and everyone now confirms it is mutating and can be air born? Not to mention other suspicious, mutating viruses appearing. This is also in main stream news.

Currently main stream news even admits the new Presidential orders allow for you to be detained for even cold symptoms with no time limit!

Whistle blowers are scared and coming out of the wood work, including homeland security, top Police Chiefs and Army Generals and confirming all the facts now.

Competent trends forecasters, including an ex US Secretary of the Treasury, who have provided financial and political information to all of the top fortune 500 companies are forecasting the dollar to devaluate or even collapse at the end of 2014 or the beginning of 2015, along with major sell offs of the bond and stock market.

Even if you get a new job, how long will it last in a crisis and collapse?

Your reading the wrong books!

Remarkable.

I don't know where you got your information from but it seems to me you are a very smart person with your finger well and truly on the pulse,, i am staying with friends in the south of France right now and can't speak French and don't understand the language so i watch English programs on the cable and last night forced myself to watch a report (something like 60 minutes) on the collapse of the American economy due mainly to their control of the Gold prices and how they wanted the US Dollar to be the worlds currency, the former IMF president was framed for sexual abuse and thrown in jail and resigned, because he wanted to know the exact gold reserves in the US, i hate it when people like you are right,, i'm just so scared that i will have to go through the 80's crisis again,, i lost a lot and i have now recovered and want to cash up sell my assets and have cash or as the program said in the future we will be paying with gold chips to the equivalent of $50 a piece as currencies (cash) will have no value, i'm sure you know what i am talking about,, the question is "what to do and how to protect my future"

This (cash is worthless) scenario happened in Portugal in the 2nd world war, you can read the article here,,,

http://www.neill-lochery.co.uk/blog/are-all-dictators-gems-greedy-evil-and-mad-part-1_1.html

is history repeating itself again,, i hope not but i'm sure it is slowly heading that way,, again how to protect oneself , in Thailand we have many friends, it seems everyone is a friend,, until the money runs out, then all friends disappear. What do i do then?

What happened in Greece? Did they cut social security for the over 65's?

The economy in Greece has gone thru a really bad time. I forget the number that were unemployed. I do know it was very high. Maybe 30%? You can find it online.

They had to make drastic cuts so they could reorganize. I believe SS was cut. Again, you can find it online.

I think NJ is in the same boat. We have police officers who are retiring at 55, and they are collecting highly inflated pensions. That's not even including health benefits for life. We had a police chief retire a few months ago and took him a $275 check because he didn't take any sick days. All paid for by the taxpayers. Our credit has slipped 8 times so far. It's a huge mess.

Leave while you still can. Find a decent life in your own country. Usually the troubles with your "girlfriend" starts after a couple of years. (Now you say.... naaahhhh.. not this girlfriend) Well.... the relationships who were successful I know, I can count on one hand. I'm not saying those girls are bad, hell no. They are very different, even when they are well educated. (you see after a few years). Plus, being an expat over a tourist, you see many thing you really do not like, no matter how anticipating you can be.

Good luck, I really hope you have luck.

b

So why does everyone call you Chicken George? Were you in Roots?

I was confused by that one as well, and I was convinced he came from Iowa because of his stated connection to chickens

Social Security benefits are calculated on the amount you paid in for the last 20 years before you turn 65. You'll lose all SS if you don't work in the US.

Teachers get a good retirement also and there are places that need real teachers in the US. It pays pretty well.

You will get old and you will need retirement income or massive savings. You'll need to maintain an address in the US to be eligible for Medicare at 65. If nothing else, google for an address in S. Dakota. It's the only state that actively seeks expats and snowbirds as residents and it's legal.

I will check on that. Thanks.

Retirement is something that I've been thinking about lately. The years go by very fast. Twenty years is nothing.

OP - I was self employed in Texas for many years -- in the last four years before making plans to come to Thailand I worked for a bank which really upped my S.S. as Neversure has pointed out... Had I not done that my S.S. would have been 1/5 less... So you gotta work in the U.S. and build up savings, and benefits ... Love is great and love is hard... nothing in that area is easy .... Unless you started a business in Thailand and it became very successful versus teaching in Thailand -- net net in 20 years - you will have not much for the next 20

Reading stories like this , I'm so happy I still have my Norwegian passport.

If I should lose everything here , I can always go back to Norway and a free health care and social welfare system will be waiting for me . But I earn my own money online so I choose to live in Thailand or another country that wants my money.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Reading stories like this , I'm so happy I still have my Norwegian passport.

If I should lose everything here , I can always go back to Norway and a free health care and social welfare system will be waiting for me . But I earn my own money online so I choose to live in Thailand or another country that wants my money.

I wish I was Norwegian. Your jails are even very nice. Who was the wacky guy who killed 75 teens? They showed his jail and it was better than some apartments I've been in back home.

If you don't me asking, what do you do online to generate income? I know it's a sensitive question, so you don't have to give me a direct answer. Thanks.

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

If you have to ask on an internet forum for the answer to such a life-changing decision............why don't you just flip a coin?

True.

I just don't have a lot of support here in Thailand. My family and friends can't relate. Most still think Thailand is a 3rd world country, and most people live in mud huts. I kid you not.

Actually "Thailand" is still a 3rd World Country, and there is still a lot of Thais. Love in Mud Huts...

If I was you I would go back Home, 45 years old is not that old, who knows what opportunities await you there, here there is very little, like fellow posters quote, Thailand is great of you have an income from back home, but to,try and make a decent living here, for now and the future, is not so easy..

Go home I say.....

Just my two cents worth.....

I agree with the OP that Thailand is not really a third world country. A lot of folks on TV who like

to view Thailand as negatively as possible often refer to Thailand as a third world country.

I lived and worked 16 years in Japan. It is definitely not a third world country. Today, Thailand

is much more similar to Japan than to Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam or the Philippines.

I lived 6 yrs in the Philippines, where in the provinces only national highways are paved and most

provincial capitals have bamboo hut squatter areas on the main street downtown. Also, most third

world countries have lots beggars bcoz they have nothing else to do. Thailand has fewer beggars

and most are destitute single mothers or the physically handicapped.

In 1960, Thailand was third world. Today, it's much closer to Japan than to Philippines, for example.

The OP has a tough decision to make. His desire to stay here is surely understandable. Thailand is

a fabulous place to live, has a rapidly developing infrastructure and a growing economy, but I think

it's very difficult to envision any future here with no hope of a pension at some point down the road.

If you have to ask on an internet forum for the answer to such a life-changing decision............why don't you just flip a coin?

True.

I just don't have a lot of support here in Thailand. My family and friends can't relate. Most still think Thailand is a 3rd world country, and most people live in mud huts. I kid you not.

Actually "Thailand" is still a 3rd World Country, and there is still a lot of Thais. Love in Mud Huts...

If I was you I would go back Home, 45 years old is not that old, who knows what opportunities await you there, here there is very little, like fellow posters quote, Thailand is great of you have an income from back home, but to,try and make a decent living here, for now and the future, is not so easy..

Go home I say.....

Just my two cents worth.....

I agree with the OP that Thailand is not really a third world country. A lot of folks on TV who like

to view Thailand as negatively as possible often refer to Thailand as a third world country.

I lived and worked 16 years in Japan. It is definitely not a third world country. Today, Thailand

is much more similar to Japan than to Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam or the Philippines.

I lived 6 yrs in the Philippines, where in the provinces only national highways are paved and most

provincial capitals have bamboo hut squatter areas on the main street downtown. Also, most third

world countries have lots beggars bcoz they have nothing else to do. Thailand has fewer beggars

and most are destitute single mothers or the physically handicapped.

In 1960, Thailand was third world. Today, it's much closer to Japan than to Philippines, for example.

The OP has a tough decision to make. His desire to stay here is surely understandable. Thailand is

a fabulous place to live, has a rapidly developing infrastructure and a growing economy, but I think

it's very difficult to envision any future here with no hope of a pension at some point down the road.

Thailand closer to Japan than Philippines. No, it's not.

I respect the fact that you have lived in both countries, however, comparing a village of Japan to some village in Isaan. It's not even close.

Tokyo vs Bangkok is perhaps getting slightly closer, but please. It's not even close.

• Like 2

Op , I hope this isn't too negative but seen this many times. Friends of mine from AU what to live/retire here.

Couple have partner here one has young baby with his Thai gf. But heres the problem. They have no <deleted> money. Only solution is for them is to take them home to farang world where they both can work.

You say your 40,s have no money etc. Well what do you want and expect here. I mean on thaivisa.

I did the hard yards and yes rich by your standards. Not being smart but what do you expect. Stick with your gf and she will p#ss u off in a year or less and so she should.

I fully appreciate that some people just aren't that into money for money's sake preferring to do what they do for the satisfaction and to help others but, clearly, the OP's started thinking about his future so it might be time to put that on the backburner and earn some scratch.

FIRST thing the OP needs to do is quit his job. He's being underpaid considering his qualifications. Get a job in a university here paying double.

Why go back to the US? Is a job there in your field really going to pay you so much more that you'll be able to save or is it more likely that you'll end up spunking it in higher living costs?

Why go home and work your tits off so you can come back here at 65 with your health potentially failing?

To build up a SS fund? F*** that.

In all likelihood, the US won't be able to afford to cover its social security liabilities in 20 years time.

Ask public sector retirees in Detroit which filed for Chapter 11 in order to get out from under the burden of its debt and unfunded liabilities - PENSIONS etc how it feels to take a serious cut in their monthly income.

Just a matter of time before more cities and states end up in the same boat.

Stay here while you're still in physical shape to enjoy it and just put that degree to better use.

sidjameson, the Greek economy has been destroyed because the government was paying pensions equivalent to $65,000 to bus drivers. Not that I have anything against bus drivers.

Matman, there is positive news. The remission rate with BCG immunotherapy for bladder cancer is about 95%. I should know, diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2005. My surgeon told me it won't kill you, just be a bloody nuisance with cystoscopies for the rest of your life.

Getting back on topic, the OP should be aware America is trying the three-card trick with the rest of the world's economies. America's debt is how many trillion? Sooner or later, the piper has to be paid - usually at the expense of those least able to afford it.

I fully appreciate that some people just aren't that into money for money's sake preferring to do what they do for the satisfaction and to help others but, clearly, the OP's started thinking about his future so it might be time to put that on the backburner and earn some scratch.

FIRST thing the OP needs to do is quit his job. He's being underpaid considering his qualifications. Get a job in a university here paying double.

Just to point out,

University in Thailand usually pays less than 35k.

CM university pays 500bht/hour, and you're lucky to get 2hrs a day.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Again the issue that the OP is facing is that his special ed degree is not wanted in Asia. International schools aren't going to hire him to teach subjects because he is not a subject teacher. If he has taken the praxis 1 and 2 tests and gets certified for subjects like science or math, then he could actually make a decent wage. With what he has now, he is only qualified for TEFL positions.

The other issue of going home isn't so hopeful either. Working less than 30 hours a week for 10 bucks an hour is rubbish for anyone with a degree. The hope of getting hired full time is a lure that rarely pans out. His pipe dream of this materializing to a 50k USD a year salary teaching is less than likely. Starting salary is more like 45kUSD a year for your qualifications. But with the cost of living, taxes,etc. I doubt that would save more than 10k a year. Less if you have a car and a life. TEFL jobs in Korea, and lower tiered international school jobs in China you could save double that.

To teach in the US you will also need to further your education to keep your license current. No chance for admin jobs without a Masters or more likely a PhD by the time you have the proper experience.

Your Korean teaching experience doesn't count towards anything and in most cases will likely hurt a teaching career if done too long.

With that being said. I still think that you best immediate option is to go back to Korea and work at a Hagwon or teach at a low tiered International school in China and save everything. If you save at least 20K usd a year for 2 years, then go back to the US get a Masters in something that is more coveted for International school jobs in Asia. You then in a short 4-5 years could actually be earning a decent wage here or anywhere and still live the lifestyle you want.

You could take the low paid 35k baht a month job and hope to get a lower tiered international school job here making 50-60k baht a month but unless you partner is pulling her weight that will be tough.

Still think it is strange for someone in their 40's to 1 need career and relationship advice from yahoos on TV. 2nd not have anything in equity up to this point, and 3. Make life changing choices for a girl friend you haven't been with that long.

I do wish you the best of luck but you sound like a dreamer without any practical skills.

Cypress hill , I presume you have made your money and not living day to day. If you construct your life sensibly there is no need to wait to 65.

Clearly I'm older than you but my generation sometimes see people say 35 down as just expecting world owes them free ride. The OP is 45 and has stuff all. You suggest he gets a job in a university earning 50k baht.

Think he mentioned he was a special needs teacher. Also earned $10 in USA. Is that a typo. Teachers in AU at 45 earn about $75k au per year up. What's this blokes real story.

• Like 1