Ticks, my solution

cooked

Can buy Ivermectin from govt vet cheaply,100 injection bottle for about350 baht. Best to kill ticks is just pull them off ,wrap in paper and burn,as squeezing them only releases eggs which form other ticks eventually.

I inject ,takes a couple of injections for dogs immunity to build up,give one a month or so,no more ticks,fact is tick free for half a dozen soi dogs that were full of them last year.

Can give the ivermectin in liquid form,straight into the food, instead of injections but takes longer to act

Just saved a dogs life too,weak ,unable to stand or eat,rapidly dying, tick disease,bought weeks supply of green antibacterial capsules force fed two times a day,over a week it did recover sufficiently . Did give it a couple of shots of ivermectin too in early stages

Edited by loppylugs1

we are getting more than usual,maybe its him laying under the car.thursday we showered him and put some tick repellant from the vet supplies,3 doses per 25-30kilo dog.the wife just found out this because we got 3 females and 4 males last night in bed.she had only put 1 dose on him.

we use chainedgaurd for bedding,so i will get some bayticol ect.as his coat is so thick we both have to feel him up every night no wonder he loves it,on his back with legs in the air.

got a few bites on me to.

Just asking: how do you tell the difference between male and female ticks? I suppose some species do have a marked difference of appearance but apart from the occasional discovery of ticks mating, I haven't really seen any difference. Ticks go through several moultings, increasing in size every time until the females can lay their eggs (up to 20 000 which is why they can be so difficult to get rid of, they can stay dormant for three years) and die, I don't know what happens to the smaller males, maybe they go into post coital depression.

Female ticks have the larger sac,burst it and plenty of blood ,males small black things ,more prevalent.

Ivermectin interferes with the nervous system of the tick,so when established in the dog ticks keep away

different strengths of Ivermectin too, used to get the Chinese one,100 shots for 100 baht,but no longer stock it, better strength ones bit more costly until the genuine Ivermectin ,not copied about 2000 baht

i get mine from India. ,all way cheaper than Thai prices Bayticol etc. There is a product called RIDD that is superb at getting shut of ticks ,fleas etc but not sold in Thailand,get in sackfuls when I go there

Ivermectin good for only one type of worm apparently roundworm not tapeworm,good for heartworm,mange ect too,not too good on fleas

Edited by loppylugs1

we are getting more than usual,maybe its him laying under the car.thursday we showered him and put some tick repellant from the vet supplies,3 doses per 25-30kilo dog.the wife just found out this because we got 3 females and 4 males last night in bed.she had only put 1 dose on him.

we use chainedgaurd for bedding,so i will get some bayticol ect.as his coat is so thick we both have to feel him up every night no wonder he loves it,on his back with legs in the air.

got a few bites on me to.

Just asking: how do you tell the difference between male and female ticks? I suppose some species do have a marked difference of appearance but apart from the occasional discovery of ticks mating, I haven't really seen any difference. Ticks go through several moultings, increasing in size every time until the females can lay their eggs (up to 20 000 which is why they can be so difficult to get rid of, they can stay dormant for three years) and die, I don't know what happens to the smaller males, maybe they go into post coital depression.

the wife says the big ones that suck the blood are females,when you locate one normally there is a male with her,its the small brown one hard to kill,i have found this most times.its those little brown f----s that bite us in bed.

had racing greyhounds for 20yrs.in the uk.never never had this problem.

only tape worms,off topic when our boy came to us i saw he had them,well the vet gave him,cant remember if it was tabs or an injection but what came out of him was unbelievable.3 clumps of worms each one as big as your fist.in 20yrs i had never seen anything like this,where he got these from i wouldnt like to guess,but he did chase and eat chickens so was that where they came from.

We have had major tick problems at our place over the years but have finally found a solution that has our dog tick free for the last six months. Our experience with Frontline has not been good, as our dogs would get sick for a week after the injection. Not surprising, seeing as the active ingredient Fibronil is a major poison. My opinion at this point is that it is very unhealthy for injection into dogs. What we have been doing now is buying Fibronil at the farm store and spraying the grass where our dog goes when outside every two months. It is still a danger to use that stuff but it does seem to effectively kill the ticks (as well as ants and very other insect) in the grass. If you decide to spray with Fibronil, make sure you do research on dilution rates and the precautions you need to take.

Today put dog to sleep that obviously had tick disease that went to the brain,pity really nice dog,but lost all co-ordination. Kept it going for a few days on medication,but once established in the brain nothing to be done. Just waiting for rigour mortise to set in as no stethoscope,then bury it

Today put dog to sleep that obviously had tick disease that went to the brain,pity really nice dog,but lost all co-ordination. Kept it going for a few days on medication,but once established in the brain nothing to be done. Just waiting for rigour mortise to set in as no stethoscope,then bury it

That is one tough thing to do. Condolences and heartfelt sympathy to you there.

That is one tough thing to do. Condolences and heartfelt sympathy to you there.

Thanks,but I look after quite a few soi dogs,just one of the pack,but a nice young dog,no biting when giving medication,just know its better off..

Almost put another one down with severe distemper couple of weeks ago,shaved the leg in readiness,really bad dose of it,held off for a few more hours ,but a miracle it pulled through,that was amazing

i am so sorry that you have lost a loved one,maybe i am getting toooooooooo sentimental as i get old,but keep your head held high as your doing a good job.i wish i could help someone who is doing the same near to where i live in korat.if you are that person pm.me.

meatboy.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I only just found this thread. Any updates or new treatments for ticks?

The little dog I've been taking care of for the last two years has got a serious tick problem for the first time. I've used the Hobby flea and tick shampoo on her as it seems to be widely sold but it doesn't appear to do much good. So the dog's Thai owner bought some of this Chaindrite dog powder:

sancard_dog_powder.png

The instructions are all in Thai so I have no idea how poisonous this is to the poor little dog, or how often it's safe to use it. It seems to work fine though, I sprinkle it on her and rub it into her fur and soon all the insects are dead and can be picked off her. It doesn't last long though and they're soon back. Can anybody advise me how often it's safe to use this powder on her, she's quite a small dog, half chihuahua and half poodle?

The owner wants me to take the dog to a vet and get an injection that kills the ticks when they suck her blood. I see this mentioned here, is it safe for a small dog?

Any other advice on how to keep the ticks off her? She spends most of her day either indoors or on the paved patio. When we walk she's on a lead and seldom goes on grass, she mostly walks on the paved village sois, so where are all these damn insects coming from?

Thanks for any help.

Hi all, I only just found this thread. Any updates or new treatments for ticks?

The little dog I've been taking care of for the last two years has got a serious tick problem for the first time. I've used the Hobby flea and tick shampoo on her as it seems to be widely sold but it doesn't appear to do much good. So the dog's Thai owner bought some of this Chaindrite dog powder:

sancard_dog_powder.png

The instructions are all in Thai so I have no idea how poisonous this is to the poor little dog, or how often it's safe to use it. It seems to work fine though, I sprinkle it on her and rub it into her fur and soon all the insects are dead and can be picked off her. It doesn't last long though and they're soon back. Can anybody advise me how often it's safe to use this powder on her, she's quite a small dog, half chihuahua and half poodle?

The owner wants me to take the dog to a vet and get an injection that kills the ticks when they suck her blood. I see this mentioned here, is it safe for a small dog?

Any other advice on how to keep the ticks off her? She spends most of her day either indoors or on the paved patio. When we walk she's on a lead and seldom goes on grass, she mostly walks on the paved village sois, so where are all these damn insects coming from?

Thanks for any help.

ticks are one big problem,me and the wife are going through hell right now,

read my thread[COULD THIS BE HIS LAST BIRTHDAY] its a silent killer.

there has been many postings over the past yrs.yet there is no definate solution.

Have you tried EnDex? I too had serious problems with ticks on a golden. She eventually died even though she was given frontline regularly. Then my black lab started getting ticks. She too had been treated with frontline. Used double dose of en-dex and ticks gone. Now once a month tablet (en-dex) or injection (ivermec) and not one single tick seen in over 3 years. Frontline at 100s baht/month, useless. En-dex or ivermec at ~10 baht/month great.

Have you tried EnDex? I too had serious problems with ticks on a golden. She eventually died even though she was given frontline regularly. Then my black lab started getting ticks. She too had been treated with frontline. Used double dose of en-dex and ticks gone. Now once a month tablet (en-dex) or injection (ivermec) and not one single tick seen in over 3 years. Frontline at 100s baht/month, useless. En-dex or ivermec at ~10 baht/month great.

Thanks.

I'm new to this problem of blood sucking insects on dogs. I grew up in the UK with dogs and we never had any problems there. Last year the dog living with me in Thailand didn't have any problems either. I'm assuming the current plague of them is due to the weird weather, very little in the way of a rainy season last year.

Where do I get EnDex, I assume a vet would have it would they?

we have just got back from the vets[blood test] so we are keeping everything crossed,the wife has gone into the city so i will tell her to get endex.

we have just got back from the vets[blood test] so we are keeping everything crossed,the wife has gone into the city so i will tell her to get endex.

its a good job the wife remembered that we bought endex 4000 3yrs.ago and binned it.

no info on what amount to give,also its for farm use,horses,pigs,cattle so uless its changed and regulated the doseage for dogs its a NO BUY.

its a good job the wife remembered that we bought endex 4000 3yrs.ago and binned it.

no info on what amount to give,also its for farm use,horses,pigs,cattle so uless its changed and regulated the doseage for dogs its a NO BUY.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I buy it regularly and it most definitely is for dogs and has a Thai language dosage instruction leaflet in the box. Vets probably won't sell it as they prefer the more expensive frontline (that doesn't work for my dogs). I buy from dog breeder who has stall at Pattaya Tues & Fri market.

I went to the vet I use on Thepprasit yesterday PM to buy some EnDex. Just to make life even more difficult he's evidently closed his practice as it was all shuttered and he's supposed to be open until 8:00 PM every day. Where else can I buy EnDex in Pattaya, apart from the market mentioned which I assume is the one in Soi Buakao? Or is there another vet in the South Pattaya area who might have it?

I check all my dogs every day, just routine, if there is a tick on one then most of them will also have a tick..

take off = cotton bud with Alcohol [70% is the highest here] dab the tick and it more or less falls off, also have a screw lid tub with Alcohol in, where all the ticks go in and die on contact...

So now to deal with the problem....... use 'C.1' it says in Thai For Dogs... 60 baht and makes many liters.. [Wholesale Pharmacy suppliers sell bottles 4x the size for 75 baht] add to my 2 lt pump up stray and spray the house top to bottom, then go all around the house outside + garden....... 2 weeks later do the same again and then another 2 weeks after that.. I spray the beds, on and under the settee, chairs, pillows/cushions

wash time for the dogs add correct dosage to bowl and soak them, then wash and dry as normal..

The main problem with ticks is there incubation time, so your dog/dogs have a tick, go on/under the beds, settee, chairs, pillows/cushions

If your dog/dogs have a tick, tip your sofa over 2 or 3 weeks later loads of new ticks have hatched out.......... this C1 appears to kill all, being using for over 1 year, and for me works better than spending so much on injection at the vet. and then still getting ticks running around the floor and walls, getting ticks on me while sitting on the chair watching TV

To me your killing the problem, for year been injecting the dogs here, and was the same problem in Portugal.

I went to the vet I use on Thepprasit yesterday PM to buy some EnDex. Just to make life even more difficult he's evidently closed his practice as it was all shuttered and he's supposed to be open until 8:00 PM every day. Where else can I buy EnDex in Pattaya, apart from the market mentioned which I assume is the one in Soi Buakao? Or is there another vet in the South Pattaya area who might have it?

I've never found a vet to sell it.

Only place I know is the market you talk of. You could try the pet stalls at kea (excuse spelling) market on Threpasit. Some are open daytime others only evening when the market is in full swing. Personally I don't go there anymore as it has bad rep. for selling sick dogs.

I check all my dogs every day, just routine, if there is a tick on one then most of them will also have a tick..

take off = cotton bud with Alcohol [70% is the highest here] dab the tick and it more or less falls off, also have a screw lid tub with Alcohol in, where all the ticks go in and die on contact...

So now to deal with the problem....... use 'C.1' it says in Thai For Dogs... 60 baht and makes many liters.. [Wholesale Pharmacy suppliers sell bottles 4x the size for 75 baht] add to my 2 lt pump up stray and spray the house top to bottom, then go all around the house outside + garden....... 2 weeks later do the same again and then another 2 weeks after that.. I spray the beds, on and under the settee, chairs, pillows/cushions

wash time for the dogs add correct dosage to bowl and soak them, then wash and dry as normal..

The main problem with ticks is there incubation time, so your dog/dogs have a tick, go on/under the beds, settee, chairs, pillows/cushions

If your dog/dogs have a tick, tip your sofa over 2 or 3 weeks later loads of new ticks have hatched out.......... this C1 appears to kill all, being using for over 1 year, and for me works better than spending so much on injection at the vet. and then still getting ticks running around the floor and walls, getting ticks on me while sitting on the chair watching TV

To me your killing the problem, for year been injecting the dogs here, and was the same problem in Portugal.

Good tip about C1. I've used the soap and the liquid while bathing dog. Never thought about spraying it as I've used Permedan (permethrin) for that. Next time I get an infection I'll try your tip.

BTW: C1 available at dog breeder Tues & Fri market South Pattaya/Soi Buakhow. Permedan at Friendship supermarket.

I needed to pick up some things in Tesco Lotus so I called in the Muang Ake pet clinic just down the road form there. Very helpful, English-speaking guy took the details and then went to ask the vet what was best for the dog. They don't sell EnDex so I ended up with Frontline Plus, the stuff that comes in a pipette rather than the spray-on version. I'll give that a try this month and see if it helps.

Good tip about C1. I've used the soap and the liquid while bathing dog. Never thought about spraying it as I've used Permedan (permethrin) for that. Next time I get an infection I'll try your tip.

BTW: C1 available at dog breeder Tues & Fri market South Pattaya/Soi Buakhow. Permedan at Friendship supermarket.

Can you give me some directions how to find the dog breeder you mention once I get to the market please? I can pop along there on Tuesday then.

Just wondered why you go to a Vet ? a normal Thai Pharmacy sell most of these things and a fraction of the price + if you tell the Pharmacist the size a weight will recommend the dosage..

Tip: If buying tablets. if the Pharmacist says dosage is ½ tablet or ¼ tablet at a time, is easy to split with nail clippers, but many will cut them for you.

Just wondered why you go to a Vet ? a normal Thai Pharmacy sell most of these things and a fraction of the price + if you tell the Pharmacist the size a weight will recommend the dosage..

Tip: If buying tablets. if the Pharmacist says dosage is ½ tablet or ¼ tablet at a time, is easy to split with nail clippers, but many will cut them for you.

Ordinary pharmacies sell medicine for animals as well??? You learn something new every day here...

Well I was the OP and haven't been back here for a bit. There are complaints about there being instructions only in Thai in Thailand-bought products. Somewhere on the packet you WILL find the English name of the active ingredient in the product. You can start off by googling that first to calm your worries.

Googling 'Endex 4000 and then using Google translate leads you to this perfectly comprehensible web page for instance: http://translate.google.co.th/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=http://buddydog.tarad.com/product.detail_642525_th_4302016&prev=search

Many of the different products contain Permethrin and other '-thrins' which are pesticides that are not easily absorbed through the skin, so a tick and flea shampoo containing one or all of these substances won't do much harm.

What I discovered is that the -thrins are a very effective fish poison. Despite rinsing the dogs after the shampoo as well as we could, spontaneous death of some of our fish was caused by the dogs going for a swim in the heat. Dog bath under construction as I speak...!

Frontline is expensive and I don't use it any more either. A never ending learning curve in Thailand.

We buy our Endex in a pet shop as and when we need it, not in a pharmacy.

Since my first post we have been freed of the tick invasion, more or less, no more in the house as far as we can ascertain, we find a few on their feet occasionally, and still check every day.

My method of using tweezers has been criticised: the tweezers we have do NOT crush the beast as we pull it out, it then gets dumped on a piece of paper and crushed, never saw one move again after I finished with it. The easiest time to remove ticks is during its shower, when the soap makes it difficult to grab them with your finger nails. Tweezers!

Can you give me some directions how to find the dog breeder you mention once I get to the market please? I can pop along there on Tuesday then.

Walk into the market along South Pattaya Soi 20. You really can't miss them. Next to where they show the dogs there's a stall that sells pet accessories including tick treatments.

Walk into the market along South Pattaya Soi 20. You really can't miss them. Next to where they show the dogs there's a stall that sells pet accessories including tick treatments.

Thanks. I'll try and wander over there on Tuesday and see if I can get some of that C1.

• 2 weeks later...

I did as the vet advised, didn't bath the dog for two days and then applied the Frontline Plus to her back between the shoulder blades as shown in the English language leaflet. I was told not to bathe her for at least two days afterwards as well. I left it three days just to be on the safe side. The leaflet says that it can take up to two days for the treatment to become fully effective. After a day I was picking ticks out of her coat but they were all dead. Now I'm happy to report she's tick-free and looking much happier for it. The Frontline Plus is very easy to apply and doesn't bother the dog at all, so I'll use this every month from now on. Does the tick season in Thailand ever end or do you have to apply this stuff all year round?

I'm new to this, but some people have said that Frontline doesn't work on their dogs. The Frontline Plus comes in different size doses for dogs of different weights. If you have a big dog and somebody sold you the dose for a small dog then it might well not be effective. Just a thought, that's all.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ivermectin sold by various vets ,prob govt vet cheapest a 100 ml bottle about 500 or so baht. Takes a week or two to build into dogs system ,as it interferes with ticks nervous system,squirt into dogs food at rate of 1 ml per 10 kilo weight,or inject,once a month

Bayticol ok but deet oil mixed with shampoo keeps them free

Ivermectin sold by various vets ,prob govt vet cheapest a 100 ml bottle about 500 or so baht. Takes a week or two to build into dogs system ,as it interferes with ticks nervous system,squirt into dogs food at rate of 1 ml per 10 kilo weight,or inject,once a month

Bayticol ok but deet oil mixed with shampoo keeps them free

is deet safe with shampoo L1 ours likes to lick his overcoat after a shower.with him having a double coat we do have trouble keeping him tick free.

but if he has a female blood sucker attached and he can reach it he will suck it out without breaking it,and then he will let us now by standing over it.