DNA sample collection continues in Koh Tao tourists murder case

webfact

DNA sample collection continues in Koh Tao tourists murder case
By Digital Content

SURAT THANI, Sept 30 -- The Thai authorities continue collecting samples for DNA tests in the search for suspects in the murder of two British tourists on the southern island of Ko Tao in this province on September 15.

This morning authorities collected samples from 22 more people for DNA tests.

Fifteen days have passed since the murder but authorities have not arrested a suspect.

Today detectives detained an alien worker who seemed to be violence-oriented. He used his cell phone to take photographs of himself cutting his own chest with a knife. The man was questioned seriously.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said she visited Koh Tao last weekend and learned from foreign tourists that they were still confident about Thai security measures despite the murder.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand will pay for the installation of more surveillance cameras, deploy more local volunteers to work with tourist police, distribute wristbands holding tourists' information to facilitate volunteers' tourist assistance and give handbooks for tours on Ko Tao.

The tourism minister added she would develop Koh Tao into a tourist safety model to set an example for other tourist islands. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-30

An article early read that they were very close to finding the killers!

To me... Very close would mean that they have a DNA match and are looking for the suspects!

If all they are counting on is DNA from residents on the island, they will never catch them, who's to say that the murderers left the island straight after the crime?

So in the article prior "there is strong evidence to the identity of the suspects", but in the next still DNA testing. Can only assume the strong evidence was the DNA which they had all along, making the prior article useless apart from re assuring everyone there is no mafia on the island.

Why are you expecting the reporting to be more professional and accurate than the investigation? Both are based on the mantra: "Whatever sounds good at the time".

• Like 2

The tourism minister added she would develop Koh Tao into a tourist safety model to set an example for other tourist islands.

Too late.

Yes it is too late but necessary all the same. It's reminiscent of the tsunami warning systems being put in place after the tsunami. Even though the damage is done at least they're in better shape should there be a next time. In these situations there are lessons to be learned and it makes sense to act on them in the hope this won't happen again. It's just crass to make obvious and glib negavite statements just for the sake of it. It becomes the default finger pointing reaction we expect from the Thais.

The tourism minister added she would develop Koh Tao into a tourist safety model to set an example for other tourist islands.

Too late.

Yes it is too late but necessary all the same. It's reminiscent of the tsunami warning systems being put in place after the tsunami. Even though the damage is done at least they're in better shape should there be a next time. In these situations there are lessons to be learned and it makes sense to act on them in the hope this won't happen again. It's just crass to make obvious and glib negavite statements just for the sake of it. It becomes the default finger pointing reaction we expect from the Thais.

That is based upon your assumption that the tsunami warning systems were not bought on the corrupt level,, and indeed they do in fact work! (similar to a certain bomb detector supplied for huge amounts of corrupt money, that was actually a few pieces of wire inside and, ultimately, completely useless). The statement wasn't glib, but raising questions which need to be raised.

Too late.

That is based upon your assumption that the tsunami warning systems were not bought on the corrupt level,, and indeed they do in fact work! (similar to a certain bomb detector supplied for huge amounts of corrupt money, that was actually a few pieces of wire inside and, ultimately, completely useless). The statement wasn't glib, but raising questions which need to be raised.

I accept your points (up to a point) about corruption but exactly what questions do the two words "too late" raise ? Of course it's too late, that is blatantly obvious. I don't think I've read anthing more glib since I've been on this forum.

I accept your points (up to a point) about corruption but exactly what questions do the two words "too late" raise ? Of course it's too late, that is blatantly obvious. I don't think I've read anthing more glib since I've been on this forum.

Accepted also. But sometimes being glib raises ideas of consequence, can it not? Almost like silly brainstorming comments, in my experience, bring out some of the most amazing ideas. I've seen some of the most wonderful designs come out of passing comments by janitors etc., who've been invited to high-level brainstorming design meetings. It can take glib comments to kick off ideas that become wonderful. Maybe, at first, not to everybody's liking, but then in retrospect - we see - hey, there might be something in this. Matter of fact doesn't always follow what can become new, if we base ideas upon what we already know. Wouldn't you agree?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's as clear as day that they have identified the killers early on, but have no DNA match, because buying out of such a test was bought and paid for.

More DNA tests are a complete red-herring, and foreigners potentially involved (and I mean farang) were eliminated by (Asian) DNA. Why all of a sudden look for 3 Brits, then?

Arse over tit continues...... shambles.... RTP should be all wearing red-noses..... not pointing far out into the sea.

Where does it say they are looking for 3 Brits?

Is this from another article?

To conduct proper DNA testing can be quite expensive and time-consuming. I wonder what the cost of this "shotgun" approach to crime solving is going to end up being. It would be more effective to develop realistic theories of the crime, test those theories through the process of elimination, narrow the list of viable suspects, and use DNA evidence to confirm (i.e., put a bow on your case). DNA doesn't solve crimes, detectives do.

Why can there not be a story on this investigation that does not launch into tourism this and tourism that!

Simple... the only thing they give a &lt;deleted&gt; about is tourism dollars so they have to continuously spout more cow pats to make it look like everything is on the up and up and that Thailand is still the greatest holiday destination in the world.

After following this case I must admit, that I have lost a lot of my previous love for Thailand. Actually, I have come to the conclusion, that I feel sorry for this country and its people, who I previously admired despite all its faults, political problems etc.

I really feel sorry for Thailand becoming an unsafe place of no empathy, moral and ethics. I feel sorry for the normal decent Thai-people, who will be (and have been) the only victims of its high level of corrupt officials driven by personal greed and lack of national pride.

When the military came in, I really hoped and believed that things would change for the sake of Thailand and its people. But I now realize that nothing really has changed or ever will. The amount of selfishness, lack of trust in its officials and personal greed is simply too overwhelming to ever be fixed. The corruption-level has already hit the "tipping-point", the point of no return. Nobody with power here can see beyond it and the sad fact is that one man, can not change the corrupt and greedy mindset of millions.

Thailand is not a place for social affection and kindness towards others. It is a place for personal survival and personal gain, no matter what basic moral, ethical and human ideals must be put aside to reach the goal. The only thing, that has become important in the mind of Thai-people is money and nothing else matters.

Most Thais will say they love their country but the fact is that most only truly love their families, because they have all come to know, that the people who should ensure their daily safety and bring progress to all, are deeply corrupt and only thinking of themselves. The result of all this, is clearly being seen now and it is also being shown to the world.

I really feel deeply sorry for all the decent Thai-people, I know. They are out there, but they are no longer the majority. A true miracle is needed to help the country and its people, because one thing is for sure... Thailand has lost its "Smile" and its reputation as a paradise on earth, filled with people full of innocence, joy and pride in their religion and country. And for years to come Thailand will suffer hardly, from what it has become and still is.

To me it does not really matter anymore, who they bring forward and claim are the killers in this case. Because the fact is, that there will always be doubt if the claimed killers are just scapegoats. And that is exactly what, will bring this country to its knees, in all ways.

A country with so much potential, but ruined by personal greed and corruption. Truly sad for not only its people, but also the country it self.

I know quite a few people like that and reckon the same goes for much of humanity at large really.. sad but true my friend

now, how to make it end?

The truth of the matter is ... they couldn't give a damn about the two victims. Just prior to leaving Thailand I asked a Thai friend if it bothered him that people were killed or scammed. His response... Why Thai care? Farang still come, scam one, still come, scam 1,000 still come, murder one or 1,000 still come and farang who live here stay no matter what we do to them ... and they call Thais Ba! If you want to find dumb people go find a farang.

• Like 2

After following this case I must admit, that I have lost a lot of my previous love for Thailand. Actually, I have come to the conclusion, that I feel sorry for this country and its people, who I previously admired despite all its faults, political problems etc.

I really feel sorry for Thailand becoming an unsafe place of no empathy, moral and ethics. I feel sorry for the normal decent Thai-people, who will be (and have been) the only victims of its high level of corrupt officials driven by personal greed and lack of national pride.

When the military came in, I really hoped and believed that things would change for the sake of Thailand and its people. But I now realize that nothing really has changed or ever will. The amount of selfishness, lack of trust in its officials and personal greed is simply too overwhelming to ever be fixed. The corruption-level has already hit the "tipping-point", the point of no return. Nobody with power here can see beyond it and the sad fact is that one man, can not change the corrupt and greedy mindset of millions.

Thailand is not a place for social affection and kindness towards others. It is a place for personal survival and personal gain, no matter what basic moral, ethical and human ideals must be put aside to reach the goal. The only thing, that has become important in the mind of Thai-people is money and nothing else matters.

Most Thais will say they love their country but the fact is that most only truly love their families, because they have all come to know, that the people who should ensure their daily safety and bring progress to all, are deeply corrupt and only thinking of themselves. The result of all this, is clearly being seen now and it is also being shown to the world.

I really feel deeply sorry for all the decent Thai-people, I know. They are out there, but they are no longer the majority. A true miracle is needed to help the country and its people, because one thing is for sure... Thailand has lost its "Smile" and its reputation as a paradise on earth, filled with people full of innocence, joy and pride in their religion and country. And for years to come Thailand will suffer hardly, from what it has become and still is.

To me it does not really matter anymore, who they bring forward and claim are the killers in this case. Because the fact is, that there will always be doubt if the claimed killers are just scapegoats. And that is exactly what, will bring this country to its knees, in all ways.

A country with so much potential, but ruined by personal greed and corruption. Truly sad for not only its people, but also the country it self.

I know quite a few people like that and reckon the same goes for much of humanity at large really.. sad but true my friend

now, how to make it end?

With the corruption-level Thailand has reached, I see no way for it to end. It is simply to late. Thats for me the sad part.

This country is now a place were murderers and rapists go free, if just they have enough money. Thats a clear signal of a country, who "has lost it"...

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

So in the article prior "there is strong evidence to the identity of the suspects", but in the next still DNA testing. Can only assume the strong evidence was the DNA which they had all along, making the prior article useless apart from re assuring everyone there is no mafia on the island.

Why are you expecting the reporting to be more professional and accurate than the investigation? Both are based on the mantra: "Whatever sounds good at the time".

The last thing to go is hope.