Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

In Switzerland, dogs have by law an RFID chip with ID information implanted under the skin. For cats, it is optional. Somebody should tell the tourism ministress of Thailand about this technology. If location information is needed, you want something else, of course, a wrist or ankle bracelet with a SIM, GPS antenna, Internet connection and an app to transmit the data. This should go a long way to increase tourism in Thailand, combined with visa-exempt entry for six months for everybody and a 50,000 Baht cash bonus on arrival.

Could also extend to free wifi. Win, win.

jb1

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better just dish out the bright orange hunting vests at the airport...so there is no mistaking the tourists!!

672335-20121004230639-work-n-sport-mens-

Go on, don't be silly. People would still get murdered.

The only way to reduce the murder rate would be

remote controlled suicide vests:

post-155312-0-52424900-1412071638_thumb.

Edited by JoeLing

Did she buy her job just as the police buy entry to the force and rank ?

Reading the article I thought it was a satire but as she actually seems to be serious

I can only wonder if she is actually Cambodian or Vietnamese and been put in place to destroy the Thai tourist industry.

This is one step closer to all humans (except privileged few) being implanted with RFID chips. First step is to introduce the inevitable as a safety measure, then slowly implement the technology once everyone sees the importance and necessity of this new protection from rapists and murderers, into the safe and secure arms and ever watchful eye of Big Bro.

Edited by me313
  • Like 2

So crims aren't fitted with electronic tags when on parole as a violation of their human rights....but to make an innocent tourist wear one is fine........I am now at a loss for words (some would be happy about that)

I think it's a great idea. It could be offered like a souvenir! There could be a range of styles and colours, and more upmarket ones. (Obviously you'd have to pay more!) They could also introduce necklaces or even vajazzling. Imagine getting your vag tagged or GPS implanted. They could have a range of nipple rings, or the piece de resistance. the GPS enabled Prince Albert for the more discerning male tourist. "Thailand - get on board"!!

• Like 1

How would they read the results if they have their heads up their a**e*?

Talk about a ministry of silly walks, is this a ministry of silly thoughts?

I cannot believe they would even think of something like this to replace inadequacies of their policing and legal systems. TIT indeed.

• Like 1

Yes it will help to identify you if you are killed or mugged. Nice message. Good Thainess.

Headline for the Mail

Don't worry the free tags will ID you when you are found dead in Thailand.

would like to see the next stats about tourist arrivals - if this is ment to be serious - and gets to the news outside LOS

This only shows how desperate they are, they are more concerned about tourism and it's effect on the economy than they are about bringing the perpetrators of this anus crime to justice. Nothing happens in Thailand without the locals knowing about it, they are very inquisitive people, whoever did this was local and was probably in the pub on the night, you don't just find an agricultural hoe conveniently lining around on the beach for some stranger to come along and use to batter someone's brains out with. The Thai police are not so incompetent as they would have you believe, THEY KNOW WHO DID IT, nobody will be charged with murder.sick.gif

• Like 1

"Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said she had approached hotels over the idea of handing out wristbands to help identify tourists that get lost or into trouble."

Or make them stand out even more as a target as well as letting assailants know where they are staying and their passport details.

Absolute genius.

While i don't think wristband is best idea, i actually think it would be a good idea to have something with information that tourist can carry INSTEAD of passport. Both tourist and non-immigrant visitors are required to carry passport, so i rather have someone steal some information than my actual passport.