Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tag them , herd them.... Gives an all new meaning to Issan buffalo /Cash-cow cheesy.gif

I have actually a much better id to mull: special new campaign:

"Stay safe during your next holidays in Thailand: send us a USB drive with copy of your id, together with your credit card...

We will send them back after two weeks all expenses paid together with your holiday's pictures"....

Thai RECALL agencies: beautiful photos souvenirs without leaving the safety of your home clap2.gif

Knee jerk reactions don't help any situation. There needs to be more security in all tourist areas, and tourist need to avoid drugs and other things that only lead to trouble.

More security? All crime here is usually within shouting distance of a number of BIB's.

Even better, Immigration strap tagging and location devices to the ankles of all tourists entering the kingdom...

The tags could get lost, why not injectable RFID chips? 90 day reports would be a thing of the past. Just when you thought it couldn't get any more ridiculous...or maybe I'm just too dumb to appreciate pure genius when I see it...whistling.gif

This only shows how desperate they are, they are more concerned about tourism and it's effect on the economy than they are about bringing the perpetrators of this anus crime to justice. Nothing happens in Thailand without the locals knowing about it, they are very inquisitive people, whoever did this was local and was probably in the pub on the night, you don't just find an agricultural hoe conveniently lining around on the beach for some stranger to come along and use to batter someone's brains out with. The Thai police are not so incompetent as they would have you believe, THEY KNOW WHO DID IT, nobody will be charged with murder.sick.gif

When you say "anus", I'm guessing you mean "heinous"? But an anus of an idea it certainly is...cheesy.gif

What makes me wonder is how many people think that this is a Thai idea ???

Back in 2001 people got themselves microchipped in the US on free will [out of fear of terrorism].

In Amsterdam and Madrid people are accepting micro chip inplants for night clubs.

Pretty much everybody is running around with an electronic tracking device all the time ... a mobile phone

The plans to chip the entire population is a hard fact in the USA. [also the UK ... Government surveillance paradise clap2.gif ]

In Thailand things just work a bit more basic and honest ... in the rest of the world people accept things like this

thinking it's an achievement. [which is just plain stupid].

All the Government needs to do is get the mobile phone numbers of the tourists [which hotels usually have]

and all the rest is just tracking the phone [which ALL providers do anyway].

Or just call apple or google ... they track all phones anyway. [not even to mention most intelligence agencies world wide].

So ... don't worry about wristbands as long as you run around with a phone all day.

Well if that were true it's still a stupid idea no? If phones don't do it, what makes you think 'more basic and honest' wristbands will?

What a great idea..There should also be large trains to pick us up at Suvarnabhumi, and take us to our 'tourist camps' with barbed or electric fence for added security...And we should be made to report to a station every month or so...Hang on, did this not happen in a certain country in Europe some time in the early 1940s??!!!

I could make a suggestion to tag the rapists, and criminals, so they can be checked up on rather than the holidaymakers. But that would be just too obvious.

Naah, would never work. Train would fall off the track before you ever got to the camp.

It never ceases to amaze me what I read on this forum next will be....

"Aliens have landed and were quickly approached by a mob of angry Thais accusing them of taking their jobs and that their spacecraft is on Thai soil and that they should pay rent now or just leave. Said aliens were admitted to Thai owned hospital and were immediately asked for money when huge shiny rocks resembling the largest diamonds ever seen and advanced technology was proffered but this was rejected by the hospital head who said only Thai money is good and they can go back to their own planet and maybe come back next year"

Back on their own planet they said "We tried to show them how they can move at the speed of light but all they said was that was a farang business and you should go to farang country for that because farangs cannot do that type of technology in Thailand.

Message to Minister: If I was you I'd be thinking more along the lines of an APP... you know, those things you have on your phone or mobile device... but you'd have to think a little bit, and make one that does the things you want to achieve... like tracking location, or tracking meetings with people, or showing where people/friends are... there a lots of things that could be written into the code for an APP that would benefit tourists... and you could even make it a voluntary thing... with a canny advertising campaign, you might even be able to encourage tourists to download it out of their free will without tattooing them or whatever the other idea was. Hell, the buddy could even be a VIRTUAL buddy! Just thinking out loud here madam. You know, brainstorming. Good God - THINK.

• Like 1

Not even Monty Python could come up with something silly as this! Must be the most stupid idea from a national Tourist minister ever.

"I have a cunning plan"

Somebody said something about "Dumb as dogshit" This is a government minister for crying out loud.

The only response is wow. Did she go to Billy Bob University too?

On the subject of tracking foriegners the Phuket Marine department has mandated automated identification of all foriegn flagged yachts, big, small, modest and expensive. We all need to install AIS from tomorrow 1 October 2014, again for safety reasons, or face jail.

Already many boats have left for Malaysia. Langkawi is full of touring yachts, owners, crews and tourists welcomed by Malaysia, no AIS required.

Some years ago my wife and I stayed at Dos Palmos, Palawan, Southern Philippines. We were constantly buddied with security with M16 in bags because of the terrorist threat. We were the only tourists on the island resort, the place was empty. Quiet yes but enjoyable... not so much.

It seems incredulous to me that labelling and even electronically tracking tourists is a serious proposal to increase visitor arrivals.

My experience is that tourists reward this type of security by going elsewhere.

Would it not be better to track the criminals, pirates, speedboats and ferry's?

A Thai woman said to me it's the same as requesting we are dogs

She added they are deliberately killing tourism and says watch out holidaying here .

I find interesting your second sentence, i have to admit that a similar thought has crossed my mind too.

Some of the politicians ideas proposed that are put in the Thai press certainly refect the standard of reasoning/ thinking that some have . Not sure whether this is from their home upbringing, schooling, childhood desease, dropped on their head, are a battered spouse, substance abuse, or escapees from institutions, but they should be considered for calling out bingo numbers at the old folks home. Just make sure they have qulified help to oversee them.

• Like 2

<<<< Comments in all capitals snipped >>>>

Forum Netiquette

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.
Edited by metisdead