Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

All jokes aside. My mum got lost here. Could not remember my address. For some reason she was able to remember my number. She got a girl at 7/11 to call. A bracelet would have been good for her. I cant imagine relaxing on any of those islands knowing the person who is talking to me, may be the one that killed those wonderful kids. So maybe abracelet and putting killers/rapists of tourists in prison

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical over reaction. Tomorrow morning, after a good nights sleep, the Sports Minister will wish he had not said this. We have all been there at one time or another. Just tired of reporters asking for a quick solution, for which is there not one.

Edited by stoli

“The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.”

Oh, this will be a paradise for tourists, treated as criminals with electronic devices.

Are these people serious coming up with ideas like that?

This is what it becomes when you buy your post instead of earning it with knowledge and education.

They don't realise one bit tourists will not enter if they are getting monitored or singled out.

The height of stupidity and ignorance.

• Like 2

Good idea to give a wristband to tourists.

In Europe we do the same by cattle, dogs and cats. biggrin.png
Maybe also take DNA for the databank. Or another solution injects a chip with ID info.

In hotels and resorts in Turkey and Brazil I like a wristband, because it means “free food and free drinks”. In that case I want even 2 bands.tongue.png

I suppose that this tourists every moment of the day remember of the danger in Thailand and it make them more scary than lucky.w00t.gif

Tourists will not return to the dangerous Thailand.wai2.gif

• Like 1

Rather than tagging the tourists, isn't it better to get the police to do their duties properly? If the law is really hard on criminals and the law enforcers are serious on their jobs, perpetrators will think twice before committing a crime.

• Like 1

The sheer stupidity of these cretinous people is utterly immeasurable. In the equation of life that philosophers the world over have tried to factor over the millennia I doubt any would or could possibly believe there could be a people so devoid of intelligence, logic and common sense as the Thai.

I actually believe microbes have more intelligence.

Logging, monitoring and controlling an annual transient population of between 16 - 20 million foreigners by a country that has yet to implement a single functioning controlled pedestrian crossing anywhere in its land?

Dictionaries will need amendment in defining degrees of imbecility courtesy of the Thai.

• Like 2

UNBELIEVABLY RIDICULOUS!!!

It should all start with a stable political system and the tackling of corruption to under cover programs to make sure they catch those corrupt authorities to having visible police monitoring areas by foot, bicycle or horse (tourist areas and party areas) etc...

There's so much more that must be done internally...they cannot provide safety to tourists by focusing on the tourist themselves! What they speak of will push the tourist away...not bring them back.

Why would I go to a country as a tourist where I must wear a wristband for my security?!

My eye's are wide open now and I don't like what I see.

Thank you Thailand for opening my eyes.

there is no security in this wrist band only identity (assuming that the perp leaves it with your body)

could start a trophy murderer collecting wrist bands

The sheer stupidity of these cretinous people is utterly immeasurable. In the equation of life that philosophers the world over have tried to factor over the millennia I doubt any would or could possibly believe there could be a people so devoid of intelligence, logic and common sense as the Thai.

I actually believe microbes have more intelligence.

Logging, monitoring and controlling an annual transient population of between 16 - 20 million foreigners by a country that has yet to implement a single functioning controlled pedestrian crossing anywhere in its land?

Dictionaries will need amendment in defining degrees of imbecility courtesy of the Thai.

It should all start with a stable political system and the tackling of corruption to under cover programs to make sure they catch those corrupt authorities to having visible police monitoring areas by foot, bicycle or horse (tourist areas and party areas) etc...

There's so much more that must be done internally...they cannot provide safety to tourists by focusing on the tourist themselves! What they speak of will push the tourist away...not bring them back.

Why would I go to a country as a tourist where I must wear a wristband for my security?!

there is no security in this wrist band only identity (assuming that the perp leaves it with your body)

could start a trophy murderer collecting wrist bands

this wrist band is not for security security just identity after death (assuming that the perp leaves the wrist band with the body)

could cut it of and use it as a sick trophy, so the statement by the minister saying it will help tourists is rubbish this stupid plan has just not been thought out

so no wrist band same as KHO TAO and the poor young couple there

and still all they worry about is money from tourism it will serve the Thai nation right if the tourist figures drop like a stone i for one say they desreve it they should of addressed corruption long ago, the final straw is the poor couple murdered and the lack luster way the police farce accused everyone exept Thai

Finally i totally agree with your 2nd paragraph this another nail in the coffin of tourism not good for me as i have a guest house

Thai stupidity way beyond belief for any body with even half a brain

this wrist band is not for security security just identity after death (assuming that the perp leaves the wrist band with the body)

could cut it of and use it as a sick trophy, so the statement by the minister saying it will help tourists is rubbish this stupid plan has just not been thought out

so no wrist band same as KHO TAO and the poor young couple there

and still all they worry about is money from tourism it will serve the Thai nation right if the tourist figures drop like a stone i for one say they desreve it they should of addressed corruption long ago, the final straw is the poor couple murdered and the lack luster way the police farce accused everyone exept Thai

Finally i totally agree with your 2nd paragraph this another nail in the coffin of tourism not good for me as i have a guest house

Thai stupidity way beyond belief for any body with even half a brain

An alternative system that really would make Tourists safer would be to require any Thai wanting to enter a resort area apply for a colored wristband which he or she must wear at all times while in the Resort Area.

Wrist Band colors as follows:-

GOLD Has own home, Has Bank Account, Professionally employed, HIV Free, has Thai ID Card

Green Student, Lives with Mum, has part time job, never arrested, HIV Free, Has Thai ID Card

YELLOW Homeless, unemployed, no Bank Account, Has HIV, Has done time.Has Thai ID Card

PINK Ladyboy, transvestite, or homosexual, Lives from day to day, No fixed address. Medical History Unknown, No ID.

Of course the Director of Tourism will need to develop this idea further to make it acceptable to Thai people whilst making the project efficacious resource for resource operators still suffering from the delinquent conduct of Thai politicians.

• Like 1

Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul I had assumed that this could be an improvement to the tourist shops and tour companies scheme issue flower pins so they know who gets the commission maybe we could computerize the whole thing. Where airlines issue a "tracking ap" smart on phones and the commission on tourist shop aright up to hospitals could be allocated to the hotel and Airlines that booked them to Thailand. That way all Thai people could more easily profit from purchases to muggings, even funeral costs. Because it will discourage tourists so we will have to maximize profit from the one that come. Sorry I think Khun Kobkarn has missed teh boat with this stupid Idea of scary waist bands and tourist minders(Guides). Has she ever traveled or worked in the travel industry? Or even talked with a non Thai tourist/

Missed the boat is far too kind a turn of phrase here.

Hair brained knee jerking unthinking scandalous ill thought out immature irrelevant - 'at about covers it.

I am speechless at this and literally it made me want to vomit.

Excuse me to any of the audience eating tea that is offended by my writing that last bit.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now that several posters have seen fit to make comparison to the Nuremburg laws, might it be time to look at this a little more calmly. Is a tourist ID band at a resort/hotel such a bad idea?

I read on TV several times per year the stories of entire Euro-families getting themselves lost in the jungle, when they wander off the beaten path.

What is wrong with an ID band that helps those Euros who don't have enough sense to realize the hazards of getting lost in the jungle?

Some Thai finds them and can read where they are staying and get them back. If somebody wants to inflict harm, wristband or no will not make a difference.

This isn't entirely the goofy idea it's being made out to be. Nature is pretty tame in Europe and a lot of people have no idea what they are wandering into.

What is wrong whit carrying a business card of your hotel?

• Like 1