Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

I love it, its gone viral already, International papers have really picked up on this one... and coming from an actual minister of tourism rather than a barstool is simply awesome as a source cheesy.gif ..............way to go Thailand clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

It'll be safe aright just because everyone will be holidaying somewhere else.

Now lets see them blame the International press for printing it and responsible for any bad fallout or damage to tourism ...... you KNOW its going to happen wink.png

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And remember this minister was handpicked by the General to her post!!

Lord have mercy on Thailand and its expats!w00t.gif

Yes, she was. As a friend and a CEO Toshiba she could make useful contributions.

Reason a civilian was appointed head of Ministry of Tourism was that it is not considered an important Ministry. Otherwise a general friend from Class 12 of the Armed Forces Academy, or a relative, would have got it.

Doubt she could propose anything without military clearance. If it goes wrong, NCPO can reshuffle and stick a senior military guy in the post. Expect even more catchy slogans from TAT!

Also hand picked, and appointed well before this Koh Tao tragedy, was the Police Commissioner General.

The Lord Buddha may have mercy Expect none from the Military. Good luck.

hahahaha,brilliant...i hope the british papers get hold of this.

hilarious.

Sure they have.... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thailand-tourists-to-electronically-tagged-4348741

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2774656/Thailand-plans-make-EVERY-tourist-wear-electronic-tags-wake-double-murder-British-backpackers-Koh-Tao-pleasure-beach.html

Thats just a couple its all over the media clap2.gif

Edited by englishoak

This only shows how desperate they are, they are more concerned about tourism and it's effect on the economy than they are about bringing the perpetrators of this anus crime to justice. Nothing happens in Thailand without the locals knowing about it, they are very inquisitive people, whoever did this was local and was probably in the pub on the night, you don't just find an agricultural hoe conveniently lining around on the beach for some stranger to come along and use to batter someone's brains out with. The Thai police are not so incompetent as they would have you believe, THEY KNOW WHO DID IT, nobody will be charged with murder.sick.gif

When you say "anus", I'm guessing you mean "heinous"? But an anus of an idea it certainly is...cheesy.gif

Your good at guessing, but incorrect in your analysis.

Maybe the wrist bands will have a sensor in the material to let our minder know if we are drunk

Really we are the guest in the country, and should help out where we can...

Excellent ?

As this fits at least two categories, not necessarily and not only in Thailand: the "Cougars" ? and their male counter parts?, maybe you should try and market it. Who knows, one could make money out of it

Well my post doesn't make sense as your thumbnail can't be copied ?

Edited by alyx

I know that useless, after-the-fact "solutions" are par for the course in Thai politics and enforcement circles. But wristbands and trackers? Seriously? How about instead deciding to train officers in advanced criminology, crime scene 101, and get a lab in Thailand that can do advanced DNA analysis.

I can't even write this one off with the usual T.I.T.

Can't wait to get my "I'm a Tourist" t-shirt. Maybe I can get one with my documented visa runs listed on it as

well as my age and bank account balance too!

Don't forget to list your ATM PIN and online banking passwords. Those are important information too. You know, in case your body is found and they need to identify you through your bank details. :-)

i think a bar code could be good to clap2.gif

I think a bar girl is a better idea. cheesy.gif

But to stay on topic; the powers that be need to get a grip and solve the real problems facing this country instead of dreaming up hair-brained schemes that are not a priority or desirable. All these stupid, ill-conceived schemes will only have one outcome and that will be the end of Thailand as a tourist or expat destination.

So will the last person to leave please turn out the lights because now Thailand is mfr_closed1.gif and you are not welcomeani.gif .

Deflecting the blame?....the innuendo here is that somehow the tragic and brutal death of these two youngsters is a tourist problem?

The implication is obviously that had they been wearing wristbands, the violent rape and murders would never have taken place.

Keep up.

This is not a Thai bashing, this is a joke that a Thai teacher told me today!!!

A man wanted to become smarter and richer. He decided to go for a brain surgery so he went to see the doctor. The doctor told him that he had 4 choices:

1. A Japanese brain for 100,000

2. A Jewish brain for 80,000

3. An American brain for 60,000

Or 4. A Thai brain for 200,000

The man asked why the Thai brain was so expensive.

The doctor answered "It's like new, never been used!

• Like 2

I know that useless, after-the-fact "solutions" are par for the course in Thai politics and enforcement circles. But wristbands and trackers? Seriously? How about instead deciding to train officers in advanced criminology, crime scene 101, and get a lab in Thailand that can do advanced DNA analysis.

You are still missing one essential ingredient: They actually have to give a toss. Taking pictures with their phones and plastering them all over the internet suggests otherwise.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Is this some sort of satirical piece? If not it contains some of the most ridiculous, idiotic and incomprehensibly out of touch with the real world thinking I've seen in many a year.

I don't think so. This is what happens when people are appointed to positions because of who they know rather than what they know.

"Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said she had approached hotels over the idea of handing out wristbands to help identify tourists that get lost or into trouble."

Or make them stand out even more as a target.

Exactly! Cause...ya know...there isn't any other way to figure out easily they're not native tongue.png

...then single them out for rape, extortion, and murder...BINGO

A man wanted to become smarter and richer. He decided to go for a brain surgery so he went to see the doctor. The doctor told him that he had 4 choices:

I wonder what would be the price of the brain of a Jewish Japanese-American, not that I need one....

Q: Why wasn't Jesus born in Thailand?

A: They couldnt find a virgin or 3 wise men

• Like 2

Maybe if all farangs need to wear this wristband in the future , so Thailand can start separate us from the locals and we all have to pay a higher price for everthing and we will be tracked down if we dont pay.

Wristbands, tracking devices = no tourists. What will be proposed next...compulsory DNA testing and registry, implanted chips, bed checks, etc.? I am beginning to click my emeralded slippers' heels together and repeating over and over again, "there is no place like home, there is no place like home..."