Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

What are the proposed curfew hours?

Like when you were 6 years old, be home in time for your tea. Bedtime at 8. Wearing your ASBO ankle bracelet.

I'm really so much looking forward to this.

Am I allowed out in my garden after 8pm, it is walled and rather tasteful.

Only on a long leash.

• Like 1

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that these ideas (id bracelet, curfews, fenced off areas etc) started with the "Think Tank" proposing that all scammers and hustlers in Thailand should be subject to them. But when they costed it out for the numbers involved they found that it would be cheaper to apply it to tourists instead.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that these ideas (id bracelet, curfews, fenced off areas etc) started with the "Think Tank" proposing that all scammers and hustlers in Thailand should be subject to them. But when they costed it out for the numbers involved they found that it would be cheaper to apply it to tourists instead.

Makes sense. 20 million tourists vs 60 million scammers.

• Like 1

How about enforcing the laws that are already there and teach everyone to respect the rule of law. This should include those who are expected to enforce same said laws.

EXACTLY. But that would require effort. So....TIT remember? Sad state of affairs and getting sadder. Will rule of law ever be the norm in Land of Scams/ Lack of Sanctions?

• Like 1

Seems to me that Thais are not happy controlling just their own populace but wish to control us also.

Its a Kin to a star of David that can be tracked-

Frightening thought.

But if it happens naturally , people will not wear it , *(at least a significant proportion) Then incur a fine or punishment .

And gradually , look for more liberal free destinations( minus the dog tag)

And spend money there instead.

Edited by Fred Flinstone

I think they should send every policeman in the country for a secret test. The really good devoted ones should be given a flourscent pink outfit with a g string. If they are devoted coppers they will be instantly recognisable.

The bad coppers can keep their old uniforms but at least the good guys will be visible and devoted to the job.

But if they wore only a g-string where would they stash the cash.

At the internet age, and the unbelievable stupidity that comes out of Thailand every now and then, the reputation of this country is ruined forever.

The Fact it is shooting itself in the foot either means it is not thinking within norms and freedoms -

Given its a military state thats most likely-

Or it actually seeks to curb mass tourism and become more isolated and thus hold power more effectively , by using Xenophobic mantras and nationalist reforms?

They can't say ""<deleted!>Off to us but can stage a few murders leave them unsolved insist we wear dog tags in future.

Infer our woman are less than virtuous and show insensitivities to the ninth degree by staging Tourist junkets on the Very island the deaths so recently occurred and announcing them in Major publications .

The outcome will be one way or another *(intended or not) a massive down turn to their shores .

Edited by metisdead
Circumventing the profanity filter.

If they're going to do this then it should include medical insurance details as well as hospitals won't treat you unless they see the money or some method to get it first.

But you wouldn't get me participating in this ridiculous idea.

Kasset Tak, on 01 Oct 2014 - 01:06, said:

This is not a Thai bashing, this is a joke that a Thai teacher told me today!!!

A man wanted to become smarter and richer. He decided to go for a brain surgery so he went to see the doctor. The doctor told him that he had 4 choices:

1. A Japanese brain for 100,000

2. A Jewish brain for 80,000

3. An American brain for 60,000

Or 4. A Thai brain for 200,000

The man asked why the Thai brain was so expensive.

The doctor answered "It's like new, never been used!

Old type of joke and I don't really believe you were told it by a Thai teacher, or in fact any Thai at all. There seems a few on here who have a "third" party "friend," my ex was like that, always used a third party, to state her belief/thoughts.
You are wrong! As far as I know I have never heard that joke before yesterday and it was a Thai teacher who told me that joke. If you want then I can pm you his number and you can call him and ask yourself!

I believe that there are many bright Thais but there are also many that are completely out of touch with reality!

I have Thai friends with PhDs that can understand and comprehend almost any subject and on the other hand some of them can't even understand their own majors.

One of the bad examples I have is a teacher with a PhD. in soil nutrition. She told me that she will start a research project about crop rotation after the king proclaimed that the farmers should use that. She told me that no one have ever done that before... One study in Canada have been going for 40 years.

And one example about someone with a great mental capacity, Thaksin. He is one of the smartest Thais alive but sadly he is 100% egocentric!

Is this some sort of satirical piece? If not it contains some of the most ridiculous, idiotic and incomprehensibly out of touch with the real world thinking I've seen in many a year.

Had to check my calendar & make sure it wasn't April 01. What this minister is saying is: "Thailand is so dangerous that we need to have military style dog tags on all the tourists so that we can easily identify them when they are found dead." If not satire then the Minister of Sports & Tourism is obviously tarred with the same brush as the the chief of the police inquiry on Kho Tau. "We have found him. No we haven't. We have found them. No we haven't. We have arrested them. No it wasn't them." etc ad nauseum.

Is this the problem? That apparently so many Thai officials are so eager to see their name in the papers that they will call any news organization and say anything that pops into their tiny little brains just to look clever and/or important. A thinking person would say to himself.... "Have we got absolute proof?" "Will this look bad for me, my colleagues, my department or my government/country if it is wrong?" Or in this case, "What would be the wider implications of my idea?"

Electronic tracking bracelets on all the local perverts & violent crims that they constantly fail to lock up, would be a better idea but only slightly less ludicrous that what he suggests.

Memo to all ministers: (1) Appoint a press officer to protect yourself from your own stupidity. (2) Appoint cool headed, intelligent press-contact people in every department of your ministry and ban everyone else from making press statements under pain of demotion including pay reduction down to a position they are intelligent enough to hold.

This proposal sends out a real warm welcome to our country from the Thai Authorities.

Yes you are Tourists, and we want your money because you account for 10% of our GDP, but you are really an inconvenience to us is the message.

Tourists ! - take your money else where

How to ruin Thailand's tourist industry in one easy lesson.

Thailand's tourist industry will never fold up, it's very resilient, Thailand has a way of attracting punters no matter what happens in the country.

Most tourists come to Thailand, have a good time and return to their home countries safely, Thailand is still an attractive destination and will remain so.

How about enforcing the laws that are already there and teach everyone to respect the rule of law. This should include those who are expected to enforce same said laws.

EXACTLY. But that would require effort. So....TIT remember? Sad state of affairs and getting sadder. Will rule of law ever be the norm in Land of Scams/ Lack of Sanctions?

I can't see the rule of law being the norm in Thailand in our lifetime, if ever. Which is very, very sad indeed.

When tourism in Thailand takes a big hit due to safety concerns......then something will be done. There is always a certain amount of RISK when entering a foreign country. I think many people forget that simple rule. Heck, there's the risk of being robbed or murdered even in one's own country. Regarding this wrist-band idea for tourists.........bad, bad, bad, not going to work. Again, this safety issue will get worse as long as Thailand continues to treat not all, but many tourists like children and cash-cows instead of guests in their country. As for some who think that Thailand's tourism industry is immune to anything negative, well, better re-think that one. If people's perception of Thailand as a safe-haven destination begins to change..........then that WILL have an adverse effect on tourism here.

Edited by joejai
  • Like 1