Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for &%"&¤ Sake.... Yea, put wristbands on all non-Thais and "some sort of electronic tracking device", let's say one of those nice pieces some convicts get to wear around their wrists? Or even better, just implant a chip in us, but that won't be all, it would still be mandatory to tell immigration every time you change province, call the police before you go out for a drink, and if you change bar call them again and make sure daddy knows where you are.. This will absolutely make insane people on meth stop raping and killing while either just plainly insane or have lost face and got pissed off enough until they couldn't care less if they would end up in prison for the rest of their lives (that is, for time they are "jai-ron" at least...)

Seriously, make idiots be responsible, no matter nationality. Force the BiB to do their work. Yes, people WILL die. Even if you turn this into a 1984 control system, people will still die in accidents and in fights. It will always happen. You are not going to save face by making all tourists look like idiots who needs someone to look over them 24/7...

There's a ot of crap going on here, we are all well aware of that. But those saying that Thailand completely lost it and that it's time to move to Phnom Penh, please read up on the cold blooded murders and people disappearing over there as well, especially in PP and Sihanoukville.
Thailand has flaws, and that's what they should focus on to begin with, in fact wasn't that what this Coup was all about?? Ending corruption or whatever they where ranting about??
Well End Corruption then! Start with the BiB!
This is an unfortunate sad case that happened in Koh Tao, but not all tourists who end up in problems are completely innocent. Learn the climate and live accordingly..

They make it all seem so black or white.. Either it's all about the tourists faults, tourist killing tourist, and if that doesn't work then it's the Burmese or Khmers, those cold-hearted outsiders who don't even know how to speak proper Thai!
OR, it changes direction in a U-turn, where they make it seem like we are in one of the most dangerous countries on Earth where you need wristbands and tracking devices, "just in case na!". That for sure will make people feel safe and welcome here...

I recently have to check my calendar on daily basis to see if I somehow skipped a few months to 1st of April....
Absolutely ridiculous, and it will absolutely never be enforced and will become about as serious as people are about going to immigration when they sleep in another province, or carry their passport 24/7.. Not gonna happen..

Edited by banglassie
  • Like 2

An earlier press release on the minister.....

"Just like the previous Minister of Tourism and Sports, Ms. Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul is totally unqualified to serve this position.

It appears she got the job because she is married to Thai Police Major General Chonnasith."

"pairing tourists with a local minder at tourist destinations, was also being discussed" Yes I can imagine if the "Buddy" gets paid I'm sure that wont be vulnerable to exploitation from Gangs , just like doorman are not involved in gangs and mafia type orginisations

Did you not see the byline on this? https://twitter.com/MimiSawitta

The notion that a) a Malaysian newspaper would make this up (including quotes) and then b)Reuters would run with it, is a little surreal.

The whole story is a little surreal.

I'd argue it's pretty much par for the course from this lot. Rarely a day passes when a statement like this doesn't arrive these days.

Of course, a "Dusit" poll will turn up in the Nation or BP within a day or so with 73% approving of the idea.

I would rather see known rapists and murderers that through birthright are untouchable by law wearing wristbands marking them out to tourists that do not understand the entrenched mafia heirarchy. A curfew would also be a good idea for these entitled scumbags.

• Like 1

Couple out partying......approached by friendly man

"Hello where you come from, where you stay?" "Oh I see on wristband you stay at XXX hotel room 123, very good idea this band"........ "Be back in one minute must phone my wife see if baby OK"

Walks away, makes phone call..."Hello Khun XXX they having party cannot be back at hotel for at least 1 hour......knock yourself out"

Comes back, "very sorry about that, wife says have some drinks with your new friends maybe come for dinner one night.......I buy you drink, let's have nice party?"

Everyone is happy smile.png

I received a news text which said that also under consideration was the creation of tourist ' safe areas ' on islands and in resort areas etc !

I can imagine tourists flocking to be herded into a compound, ghetto or whatever anyone wants to call it.

By designating ' safe ' areas they are in essence saying outside them is bandit country so why would anyone bother visiting such a country ?

Once again open mouth without engaging brain.

A safe area is maybe an area with no Thais around?

i love this country and wont live anywhere else but government officials here must be most stupid brainless politicians and beurocrats ever or anywhere on this planet

You have to laugh or you'd cry

These are not government officials, they are hand-selected ministers making these sorts of statements as often as not.

Thailand tourists may be issued with identification wristbands, minister says
Proposed scheme would help track drunk or lost visitors, as industry reacts to murder of two British backpackers
Reuters in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Identification wristbands may be distributed to tourists in Thailand, the country’s tourism minister says.

Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said she had approached hotels over the idea of handing out wristbands to help identify tourists who get lost or into trouble.

“When tourists check in to a hotel they will be given a wristband with a serial number that matches their ID and shows the contact details of the resort they are staying in, so that if they’re out partying late and, for example, get drunk or lost, they can be easily assisted,” Kobkarn said.

“The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.”

She said a “buddy system”, pairing tourists with a local minder at tourist destinations, was also being discussed.

The murder of two British backpackers raised fresh concerns over tourist safety in Thailand this month.

The bodies of Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, were found on a beach on the southern island of Koh Tao on 15 September.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/30/thailand-tourists-issued-identification-wristbands-ministe

-- The Guardian 2014-09-30