Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

How about enforcing the laws that are already there and teach everyone to respect the rule of law. This should include those who are expected to enforce same said laws.

I totally agree, but we all know that it will never happen in the land of smile.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another bright idea , what about farang vigil anti's ,like the ones they have in New York subways, we wear a berry and black combats, no weapons ofcourse.

Work in groups of five, have walky talkies and can have another ten of us in a situ within minutes.

Seems to me that Thais are not happy controlling just their own populace but wish to control us also.

Its a Kin to a star of David that can be tracked-

Frightening thought.

But if it happens naturally , people will not wear it , *(at least a significant proportion) Then incur a fine or punishment .

And gradually , look for more liberal free destinations( minus the dog tag)

And spend money there instead.

If these insane suggestions ever become policy there won't be anything gradual about the decline in tourist numbers, they will fall off a cliff. Even TAT won't be able to spin that one!

the Tourist Minister must have a brain lack!!!!!!!!

Better train your police and your tourist workers......I wait for the idea to have electronic captivate for the tourists while this help to prevent from murders and robbers and scammers......

I guess easier to identify the bodies afterwards, as the killers are still on the lose. (But I suspect long gone)

A good idea, but I think giving the wrong impression. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I certainly wouldn't got to a place to spend my money, where they hand you out tracking devices or security wrist bands. Or warning you not to explore the island or ever being alone.

I am beginning to think that the streets of Lagos Nigeria have got be safer than that.

I think that an anal chips would be a more interesting choice then a bracer, thai wont see at first sight that you a dumb farang, something that they would notice right away with the bracelet (unless you hide it)

Phuket Wan (which we're not allowed to quote here) has a report titled "Minister Earns Slap on the Wrist for ID Idea for Tourists".

It doesn't say who gave the "slap", but it looks more like an editorial comment.

Has anyone seen any other report besides a copy of the Reuters article?

On the BBC World News yesterday. Not much comment, short mention, but their report highlighted that actions such as this show how unsafe Thailand is.

That's the message - Thailand is unsafe and dangerous, not applause for these wonderful innovative solutions.

The BBC has a reporter here who is completely clueless as to what is going on in Thailand. Most of his reports you can here in any red shirt bar. The BBC is the English version of Fox.

Somebody has probably already mentioned this but it reminds me of a Sci Fi novel where all the open prison inmates had an electronic collar around their neck. If they strayed to far from the prison it blew up wth fatal side effects.

I think this would be a good way to keep the tourists safe . ' We had to terminate them to save them ' sort of thing.

As sensible as any of the other nonsense proposed by the tourist minister.

They could even have a full moon ' wake ' for the saved victims. A grand piss up in the usual tactful Thai way.

Oh lord.

How about just doing something about the corrupt police that are in league with the mafias.

How about teaching your sons and brothers the word 'no'.

How about stop letting people with more money than you treat you how they like.

No, no forget all that just tag people who bring money to your country.

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

• Like 1

Phuket Wan (which we're not allowed to quote here) has a report titled "Minister Earns Slap on the Wrist for ID Idea for Tourists".

It doesn't say who gave the "slap", but it looks more like an editorial comment.

Has anyone seen any other report besides a copy of the Reuters article?

On the BBC World News yesterday. Not much comment, short mention, but their report highlighted that actions such as this show how unsafe Thailand is.

That's the message - Thailand is unsafe and dangerous, not applause for these wonderful innovative solutions.

The BBC has a reporter here who is completely clueless as to what is going on in Thailand. Most of his reports you can here in any red shirt bar. The BBC is the English version of Fox.

Well it is true to say that the BBC reporter in Thailand (Johnathan Head) is poorly regarded by a number of TV members. I think the clue as to why is in your post - " Most of his reports you can here in any red shirt bar. The BBC is the English version of Fox."

Away from this forum, both he and in particular the BBC are quite well regarded.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

Tourist area, 3 am. Three Thai tough guys lurking on a street corner see a young farang couple, obviously tipsy. One Thai says, "let's take 'em down, they probably got at least 1,000 baht." Other Thai guy, "No, they've got security wrist bands. Let's wait for a mark without wrist band."

How to ruin Thailand's tourist industry in one easy lesson.

Thailand's tourist industry will never fold up, it's very resilient, Thailand has a way of attracting punters no matter what happens in the country.

Most tourists come to Thailand, have a good time and return to their home countries safely, Thailand is still an attractive destination and will remain so.

Oh, would that be 51 out of every 100? 52? 60? 90? 95?

Clearly you don't get it. It's not an undergrad statistics test. People choose travel destinations based on perceptions, which CAN be distorted and out of proportion; things like "reputation", which includes, yes, hearsay...what that guy at work said, or what they read on the internet. Good news, as in, "oh, well yeah, I went there, it was ok - no problems" has no legs and isn't NEARLY as "newsworthy" and as "repeatable" as the stories about guys being scammed, even by police, or robbed by motothugs, or assaulted - or worse - by some teens, or ripped off by double-pricing, or given the 3rd degree by immigration over nothing, or talk of curfews & crackdowns, etc. etc. etc. To all this we can now add, dog tags & special restrictions for tourists... Yeah, that's a crowd pleaser alright...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How about enforcing the laws that are already there and teach everyone to respect the rule of law. This should include those who are expected to enforce same said laws.

yes why isnt the Police deployed in these areas? What about the CCTV - who is monotoring this. Is this only to see proof after death or is it to be preventive measures on crime? From Reports where the police is quoted taking bribes. These guys should be tagged in the first place because to find their where abouts is more important in bringing law and order to the country.

Minister of Tourism and Sport - says it all... Tourism is treated as sport!!! in Thailand. Take a consensus over the last 3 years of people who have fallen off balconys, knifed in the streets or murdered. The statistics have been held back.... why

Majority of Thais accept corruption if it benefits them. Or if they can circumvent laws dropped from an ivory tower in Bangkok.

If the government wants the laws to be respected, stop making ones that people won't accept... ah right, that's democracy. Scratch that then.

Helluva job Kobkarnie!

I particularly like the curfew idea....tourists will love that and flock to Thailand in droves.

yea curfews, having to wear tracking devices like common criminals ànd paedophiles and then on top of that will be charged an additional fee to go onto the islands for the privilege.

Let's start a factory for tracking devices. This will be a business with trememndous growth since many more governments will follow suit.

Then implant them in the bad guys so that the police will know where they are. What other than identifying dead tourists is this band going to achieve?

• Like 1

Let's start a factory for tracking devices. This will be a business with trememndous growth since many more governments will follow suit.

Then implant them in the bad guys so that the police will know where they are. What other than identifying dead tourists is this band going to achieve?
They will know which tourists will be breaking the curfew, where they are and arrest them after they have paid a huge fine they will be released. Sounds like a business venture.
  • Like 1

Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

THAILAND: -- Thailand’s tourism minister said on Tuesday that identification wristbands would be distributed to tourists following the murder of two British backpackers earlier this month that has raised fresh concerns over tourist safety.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said she had approached hotels over the idea of handing out wristbands to help identify tourists that get lost or into trouble.

“When tourists check-in to a hotel they will be given a wristband with a serial number that matches their I.D. and shows the contact details of the resort they are staying in so that if they’re out partying late and, for example, get drunk or lost, they can be easily assisted,” Kobkarn told Reuters.

“The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.”

She added that a “buddy system”, pairing tourists with a local minder at tourist destinations, was also being discussed.

The bodies of Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, were found on a beach on the southern island of Koh Tao, or Turtle Island, on Sept 15.

Post-mortem examinations by Thailand’s forensics department showed Witheridge died from severe head wounds and Miller died from drowning and blows to the head.

Almost three weeks after the murder police are no closer to an arrest as frustration mounts over the lack of a breakthrough.

Full story: http://www.therakyatpost.com/world/2014/09/30/thailand-mulls-id-wristbands-curfews-tourists/

-- The Rakyat Post 2014-09-30

post-184082-14124663478925_thumb.jpg

Maybe this is the way to go in the land of smiles these days??

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

“The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.”
She added that a “buddy system”, pairing tourists with a local minder at tourist destinations, was also being discussed.

I wonder how the quality Chinese tourist will react, maybe the Russians will go for it .

I wonder how the quality Chinese tourist will react, maybe the Russians will go for it .

Bored my friend??

See you are trying to bring two old threads back from the dead!!rolleyes.gif