Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

This wouldn't be a bad thing as long as it is an option not some mandatory thing, but to link it to the deaths of two British tourists is nuts.

If you want to track such things then tag you're own people after all the one being attacked wearing anything is not going to prevent it.

• Like 1

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next some moron is gonna suggest giving the tourists a permanent tatooed ID number in case the wrist band gets cut off by the killers. Man o man this place gets dumber and dumber by the minute. Time to change the moniker from LOS to LON. Think about it.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

Well now that does it. If they do this they will seal the proverbial nail on the coffin for tourism. Now let's see where did we see something similar? Oh yes, in Nazi Germany when all the Jews were "invited" to wear the Star of David. Wonder how long it will take these superior, incredibly intelligent authorities to protect the expat community and embed some tracking device under our skin.

scot_star_of_david.jpg

i love this country and wont live anywhere else but government officials here must be most stupid brainless politicians and beurocrats ever or anywhere on this planet

You have to laugh or you'd cry

These are not government officials, they are hand-selected ministers making these sorts of statements as often as not.

Weren't all Yingluck's ministers always hand picked selected based on knowledge, skill and ability to do the best job - and she had 6 different cabinets in less than 3 years!

Hope there's not going to be a repeat performance. It was announced very publicly that non performing ministers would be removed. Does that mean the ones who perform badly too or just those the do nowt?

I thought the local minders was a brilliant idea killing two birds with one stone - added security for tourists and jobs for all those out of work beach sellers and taxi/tuktuk drivers in Phuket who will soon be able to go to the airport and be supplied with their own personal 'mark'.

• Like 2

I suggest that they get ID numbers or barcodes tattooed on the wrists, and give us all a coloured armband based on our nationality. Perhaps put us in a barbed wire fenced off area for our own protection as well.

Perhaps an insignia on the armband to signify our religious choice. Star of David, Cross, etc, etc, etc...

Hummmm. This sounds so familiar. Where have I heard this story before.....dry.png

• Like 1

And add to this the fact she wants to implement a curfew as well for all the tourists with their wristbands. If you are caught out after curfew will you be arrested and fined as well? 'Surreal Thailand' should be the new TAT slogan.

• Like 1

Phuket Wan (which we're not allowed to quote here) has a report titled "Minister Earns Slap on the Wrist for ID Idea for Tourists".

It doesn't say who gave the "slap", but it looks more like an editorial comment.

Has anyone seen any other report besides a copy of the Reuters article?

Edited by whybother

astounding how few people carry even a copy of their passport with them, though of course this often goes into a wallet, so if you're knocked out/killed and mugged, not much use. many of our guest scoff when i remind them to carry id and our address. they say " oh i've never been stopped by the police" and we tell them that it's not for that reason but incase they are hurt, sick or dead, and we need to be contacted. selfish really i know.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Next some moron is gonna suggest giving the tourists a permanent tatooed ID number in case the wrist band gets cut off by the killers. Man o man this place gets dumber and dumber by the minute. Time to change the moniker from LOS to LON. Think about it.

Land Of Nuts clap2.gif

Herding tourist into designated areas for their safety...requiring them to wear wristbands so they can easily be identified...after a crime has been committed...what kind of perception does this create for the average tourist?

Is this a safe country or what?