BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

The costs involved with the "minder" would deter some, unless they were permitted to select or nominate their minder. One way of deterring non "high end" tourists.

Another case of not putting brain into gear before engaging mouth.

It's ridiculous, as government minister ideas often are. I think the minister was throwing the idea around much in the same way as someone might throw a piano out of a window to see what it sounds like.......I very much doubt it'll be implemented.

• Like 1

Did you not see the byline on this? https://twitter.com/MimiSawitta

The notion that a) a Malaysian newspaper would make this up (including quotes) and then b)Reuters would run with it, is a little surreal.

The whole story is a little surreal.

I'd argue it's pretty much par for the course from this lot. Rarely a day passes when a statement like this doesn't arrive these days.

Of course, a "Dusit" poll will turn up in the Nation or BP within a day or so with 73% approving of the idea.

I would rather see known rapists and murderers that through birthright are untouchable by law wearing wristbands marking them out to tourists that do not understand the entrenched mafia heirarchy. A curfew would also be a good idea for these entitled scumbags.

• Like 1

I guess business cards with a little map on the back don't cut it anymore.

• Like 1

Even better, Immigration strap tagging and location devices to the ankles of all tourists entering the kingdom...

She beat you to it

"The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.”

i love this country and wont live anywhere else but government officials here must be most stupid brainless politicians and beurocrats ever or anywhere on this planet

You have to laugh or you'd cry

Couple out partying......approached by friendly man

"Hello where you come from, where you stay?" "Oh I see on wristband you stay at XXX hotel room 123, very good idea this band"........ "Be back in one minute must phone my wife see if baby OK"

Walks away, makes phone call..."Hello Khun XXX they having party cannot be back at hotel for at least 1 hour......knock yourself out"

Comes back, "very sorry about that, wife says have some drinks with your new friends maybe come for dinner one night.......I buy you drink, let's have nice party?"

Everyone is happy smile.png

I received a news text which said that also under consideration was the creation of tourist ' safe areas ' on islands and in resort areas etc !

I can imagine tourists flocking to be herded into a compound, ghetto or whatever anyone wants to call it.

By designating ' safe ' areas they are in essence saying outside them is bandit country so why would anyone bother visiting such a country ?

Once again open mouth without engaging brain.

A safe area is maybe an area with no Thais around?

i love this country and wont live anywhere else but government officials here must be most stupid brainless politicians and beurocrats ever or anywhere on this planet

You have to laugh or you'd cry

These are not government officials, they are hand-selected ministers making these sorts of statements as often as not.

Thailand tourists may be issued with identification wristbands, minister says
Proposed scheme would help track drunk or lost visitors, as industry reacts to murder of two British backpackers
Reuters in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Identification wristbands may be distributed to tourists in Thailand, the country’s tourism minister says.

Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said she had approached hotels over the idea of handing out wristbands to help identify tourists who get lost or into trouble.

“When tourists check in to a hotel they will be given a wristband with a serial number that matches their ID and shows the contact details of the resort they are staying in, so that if they’re out partying late and, for example, get drunk or lost, they can be easily assisted,” Kobkarn said.

“The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.”

She said a “buddy system”, pairing tourists with a local minder at tourist destinations, was also being discussed.

The murder of two British backpackers raised fresh concerns over tourist safety in Thailand this month.

The bodies of Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, were found on a beach on the southern island of Koh Tao on 15 September.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/30/thailand-tourists-issued-identification-wristbands-ministe

-- The Guardian 2014-09-30

Kill one... after you raped her... kill another,,,,,, after you raped her, and simply swap wrist bands..... easy...... they did it to each other.... (deleted)ks sakes. Never a Thai!