Thailand mulls ID wristbands, curfews for tourists

webfact

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the only delay with the implementing is that settling on the wristband's colour...red, yellow, or whatever the current flavor is...

and don't forget they will have to work out the price for these pretty wristbands, so when someone looses one it will cost you an arm and a leg literally

Thailand murder: Tourists will be forced to wear identification wristbands, electronic tracking proposed

SYDNEY: -- TOURISTS will be forced to wear identification wristbands and could be electronically tracked on Thailand’s islands after the brutal slaying of two British backpackers.

Thailand’s tourism minister said today that identification wristbands will be given to tourists after Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, were found on a beach on the southern island of Koh Tao.

Their murders have sparked debate and concern about how safe Thailand’s islands are for tourists, as police have failed to arrest a suspect — and still have no strong leads in capturing them.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said she had already contacted hotels and discussed the idea of giving out wristbands so tourists could be easily found.

“When tourists check-in to a hotel they will be given a wristband with a serial number that matches their I.D. and shows the contact details of the resort they are staying in so that if they’re out partying late and, for example, get drunk or lost, they can be easily assisted,” Kobkarn said.

But she admitted the idea of tagging tourists with wristbands has not been popular with everyone.

“Most people welcome the idea but some hotels are concerned that tourists may not want to wear the wristbands,” she said.

She also said that tourists could wear an electronic tracking device, but a decision on this would not be made straight away.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/thailand-murder-tourists-will-be-forced-to-wear-identification-wristbands-electronic-tracking-proposed/story-fndir2ev-1227075555762

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-09-30

The next step is giving all tourist a jump suite (Orange or black and white stripes) and an electronic ankle band for easy tracking when they get mugged or murdered. I addition the 90 days report will be shortened to a 24 hours report with mandatory blood test.

Gee, time to kick out of the he military thinking of this government. People are not soldiers, especially not tourist.

I have a better IDEA. Insert RFIDs into each tourist that enters the country! Oh! Wait a minute. It is not the Victim we are looking for. They are already dead. It is the perpetrators that need to be found. Could we also tag them?

Edited by toybits

Is this merely not testament from the Thai Government as to the level of violence now occurring on an hourly basis across Thailand. Has it really come down to having to issue and even consider tracking tourists due to the levels of danger.

Seriously you would need your head testing if you were considering a holiday in Thailand - if they don't kill you they certainly will scam you.

It's about time the expat community grew a pair and put Thailand firmly in its place - if you all headed for the border you might see just how quickly the Thai Government changed its policies towards the draconian and degrading visa system plus force them to install law and order.

Ultimately your money fuels their greed and without it they will learn the hard way.

Easier said that done... well I for one packed my bags because I refused to be subjected to their racist and derogatory ways and trust me I now live a completely stress free life. Remember change can only be effected by those with a spine and a will to effect it... sitting on a bar stool pissing and moaning achieves squat diddly.

• Like 1

The next step would be some sort of electronic tracking device but this has not yet been discussed in detail.

Oh, this will be a paradise for tourists, treated as criminals with electronic devices.

Are these people serious coming up with ideas like that?

I smell snouts in the trough. These devices would have to be manufactured at a cost plus the required percentage mark up.

The detail will be how to spin the cost into being a fair deal.

This is what they come up with when cultural restraints prevent them from saying the truth, a Thai may have murdered people, the police cant solve the crime, we don't really care, etc etc.

Of course a computer network worthy of the NSA to track all tourists will be rolled out soon, or maybe later.

If I understand, fully, the tourism minister... if a tourist doesn't wear his/her wristband, doesn't stay inside during curfew, doesn't wear his/her tracking device, he /she will be entitled to a number of extra benefits such as: rape, murder, theft, etc.

Adding insult to injury, he/she will be held fully responsible and be prosecuted for not respecting the law.

How nice!

• Like 1

“When tourists check-in to a hotel they will be given a wristband with a serial number that matches their I.D. and shows the contact details of the resort they are staying in so that if they’re out partying late and, for example, get drunk or lost, they can be easily assisted,” Kobkarn said.

or - how the Thai government visualizes the typical tourist.

I love these own goals.

This is ridiculous pairing tourists with minders........ their on holiday why on earth would you come here if you need a minder and have to wear a wristband. Instead of blaming it on the stupid tourist who need a wristband and a babysitter as they think why not clean up the crime instead. Wouldn't its ring alarm bells in potential tourist if they are being supplied with I. D. bracelets especially families thinking of visiting.

• Like 1

Wristbands would of course be a Crazy idea , as it would Highlight the Tourist and potentially cause more trouble ,

this point has been made prior .

Microchip everyone , Citizen and Tourist ..Might help with quick ID , but will not achieve much else .

Want to destroy tourism ..completely :( ..Run with this idea .