3 Australian tourists fall from Phuket resort balcony

webfact

3 Australian tourists fall from Phuket resort balcony
Eakkapop Thongtub

1412137535_1-org.jpg
The three were staying at the Gracelands Resort. Image Google Street View

PHUKET: -- Three Australians had to be rushed to hospital in Patong last night (September 30) after horseplay on the balcony of their hotel room turned into horror.

The hotel called police and rescue workers at 8pm after the three fell from the third floor of the Phuket Graceland Resort and Spa on Thaweewong Rd.

The three, all aged 24, were named as Timothy Jean Cover, Timothy Paul Hanson and Richard Anthony Jones.

A hotel staff member said, “They were hanging out and drinking on the hotel balcony. They were chatting loudly and teasing each other, pushing each other around, when, unexpectedly, all three fell off the balcony to the court yard.”

Mr Hansen and Mr Jones suffered light injuries but Mr Cover hit his head on landing, and had to be put on a respirator before being rushed to hospital.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/3-australian-tourists-fall-from-phuket-resort-balcony-48946.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-01

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there some sort of protection on the balcony? A handrail or something? Trying to imagine the situation. In my mind, they cannot fall all the three of them at once. When one falls, that will sober up the remaining two real quick. Usually. If two wrestle with each other and fall off, together, that would still leave the third. I don't understand, but then I probably haven't been doing enough horseplay on balconies to really appreciate...

Very low balcony rails here. Much lower than in other countries so much easier to fall or trip over.

Most balcony rails seem to be waist high - for Thais.

Thigh high for most Westerners.