Why advise UK revenue when leaving UK?

I see a lot of comments from UK expats concerning freezing of pensions once inland revenue know they have left UK. I know Inland Revenue website states you must inform them when you leave but why. I currently have UK company pensions on which I pay, and am happy to pay, UK tax and am not due to receive state pension for another 10 years for which I have paid full NI contributions, 35 years. Can anyone tell me why I should let them know I am now living in Thailand based on Thai retirement visa i.e. not working and implications of not telling them? Any advise will be appreciated.

if you do not inform the state pensions about your being out of the uk beyond the allowed periods of time in their eyes you are misclaiming

ie breaking uk law ok we all know that . Iif you get caught you will have no choice but to repay the over payment with no limit on the number of years companies or individuals who forward mail concerning government pentions/benifits are also in conflict of the law

i tell you this from direct experience they caught me as a purely random check by stopping my pension and waiting for me to call

my mistake to call from abroad saying i was on holiday they now had my tele number ok reinstated my allowance

as soon as the allotted time of absence from the uk expired they called again and bingo red handed

they advised me that further increases would be stopped

And the allotted time was what, six months?

from experience tell the pensions dept everyday they offer more incentives to people to grass you up here and in the uk

any amount of people willing to take the queens shilling

if you are caught you will have to repay the excess with no time limit ie you are getting a loan which increases

tot it up yourself added to this any company or individual that knowingly forwards state pension or benefit

mail is also breaking the law

if any one would like to hear how i got busted please pm me TV would not allow long messages

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Gerry 123. However as I will not be claiming UK state pension for another 10 years not sure how this will affect me. It is possible that I may return to UK ahead of the state retirement age anyway. Just wondered if there is any point advising them when just currently receiving company pensions that I pay UK tax on. Guess I was just concerned re recent comments advising UK tax allowance, currently 10k per year, may be withdrawn from expats .

sure new beginnings in your case i am not sure i did inform them when i left the uk but just to get a 3000 pound rebate

but of course now the mention of the tax allowance being taken away i will fall into the taxable income derived in the uk system

although when i made the move they said i would not recieve any claims or documentation again i cross my fingers on that one

may i get lucky and slip through the net after all it wouldn't be the first time they have made a miscalculation

• Like 1

if you do not inform the state pensions about your being out of the uk beyond the allowed periods of time in their eyes you are misclaiming

ie breaking uk law ok we all know that . Iif you get caught you will have no choice but to repay the over payment with no limit on the number of years companies or individuals who forward mail concerning government pentions/benifits are also in conflict of the law

i tell you this from direct experience they caught me as a purely random check by stopping my pension and waiting for me to call

my mistake to call from abroad saying i was on holiday they now had my tele number ok reinstated my allowance

as soon as the allotted time of absence from the uk expired they called again and bingo red handed

they advised me that further increases would be stopped

You answer overseas calls from unknown or withheld numbers?

Skype allows you to have a local UK country number at little cost, area of your choice.

UK

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA331/what-is-a-skype-number

PS

If you're abroad, tell em France, Spain, Italy, Portugal. America, Phillipines, Etc.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Now most of the above ,the doomsters, know nothing,just crap pours forth.

The OAP is an entitlement ,not a benefit, if and a big IF,they may suspect anything and believe me ,they are not interested in OAP,they will send a letter asking if you are in or out,you can say you are out and they will ask how long? reply 2 months,but coming back. They do not know where you are in the world

Do not get involved with the bloody stupid doomsters they know nothing, ignore them British embassy could not get a head count on Brits in Thailand as no one owned up,Thai immigration knows,but will not give details

i did not say it was a benefit i hoped i made it clear that they were different as to the rest or your comment you are talking out of your backside

• Like 1

The OAP is an entitlement ,not a benefit, if and a big IF,they may suspect anything and believe me ,they are not interested in OAP,they will send a letter asking if you are in or out,you can say you are out and they will ask how long? reply 2 months,but coming back. They do not know where you are in the world

Do not get involved with the bloody stupid doomsters they know nothing, ignore them British embassy could not get a head count on Brits in Thailand as no one owned up,Thai immigration knows,but will not give details

i did not say it was a benefit i hoped i made it clear that they were different as to the rest or your comment you are talking out of your backside

Now there are pensions ,pension credits ,disability,incapacity..all sorts of benefits,so pray tell which one?

You did state an "allowance" earlier too,unusual terminology for someone on OAP. This to my mind would suggest ESA (employment and support allowance),jobseekers allowance,even attendance allowance,could even be housing benefit allowance.

Pension credits(would that be an allowance?)

Now I agree the DWP would be far more determined in your case

#13 are we back on the residency tax again,or what?

Now there are pensions ,pension credits ,disability,incapacity..all sorts of benefits,so pray tell which one?

Oh well! no answer. Maybe a funeral allowance,put this thread to bed

It doesn't really matter why they want you to tell them. It's the law and if you dont do it you may get caught out some day. Even if they dont currently get detailed information from the UKVI about who leaves and enters the country, and when, you can bet that one day soon they will.

As for deliberately claiming more state pension or benefits than you are entitled to, there again they will probably catch you out one day and the penalties will probably only get more and more severe.

It doesn't really matter why they want you to tell them. It's the law and if you dont do it you may get caught out some day. Even if they dont currently get detailed information from the UKVI about who leaves and enters the country, and when, you can bet that one day soon they will.

As for deliberately claiming more state pension or benefits than you are entitled to, there again they will probably catch you out one day and the penalties will probably only get more and more severe.

Please refer me to the "law" as you allude to? or is it another load of waffle"currently" this ,"currently" that,as somebody all knowing tell me which date you are betting on as to "soon" anyway as it does not effect you,is there a toucfh of jealousy there?

I believe the other guy caught out was on disability,just by his terminology ie time out of the UK etc. I had friend on this up until last year,knowing the DWP are tightening up on his travelling,not seen him this time around,free car every 3 years,money thrown at him,screwing everything in sight and could not walk 50 yards yeah right

Please refer me to the "law" as you allude to? or is it another load of waffle"currently" this ,"currently" that,as somebody all knowing tell me which date you are betting on as to "soon" anyway as it does not effect you,is there a toucfh of jealousy there?

I believe the other guy caught out was on disability,just by his terminology ie time out of the UK etc. I had friend on this up until last year,knowing the DWP are tightening up on his travelling,not seen him this time around,free car every 3 years,money thrown at him,screwing everything in sight and could not walk 50 yards yeah right

I think you understand quite well that it's the law, asking for a link to it is merely stalling and diversionary.

And UK tax law is not enshrined in English law, it's predicated on rules and practice in most cases. That doesn't change the fact that if you break those rules/laws/practices you will go to jail.

And UK tax law is not enshrined in English law, it's predicated on rules and practice in most cases. That doesn't change the fact that if you break those rules/laws/practices you will go to jail.

Give us a link to any media story where one UK person was jailed for failing to inform DWP/Tax they lived overseas?

(You always say link or it didn't happen, so go on)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

I think you understand quite well that it's the law, asking for a link to it is merely stalling and diversionary.

Whoops! here we go again. For somebody who has quoted "its somewhere in there" quite often,is this another "its somewhere in there" again?

Like this,along with your diversionary tax residency advisory (again)which had nothing to do with this thread,I thank you for your concern,which if it was written on paper would be used for arse wiping purposes.

Thanking you for highlighting the rules/laws//practices or not in your case .Anyway thank you and I will awake you next time a thread as this appears and you can throw your spanner "somewhere in there"

Give us a link to any media story where one UK person was jailed for failing to inform DWP/Tax they lived overseas?

Read those posts again, I wrote that "UK tax law is not ....", making the point that the rules governing tax and NI/pensions etc do not have to be enshrined in law, they are rules that need to be obeyed regardless. Poster LL was suggesting there are no "laws" governing such things.

Read those posts again, I wrote that "UK tax law is not ....", making the point that the rules governing tax and NI/pensions etc do not have to be enshrined in law, they are rules that need to be obeyed regardless. Poster LL was suggesting there are no "laws" governing such things.

You said you can go to jail, so give us one example .......

Overseas, failed to inform, jail ........

It never happened!

More BS!

Whoops! here we go again. For somebody who has quoted "its somewhere in there" quite often,is this another "its somewhere in there" again?

Like this,along with your diversionary tax residency advisory (again)which had nothing to do with this thread,I thank you for your concern,which if it was written on paper would be used for arse wiping purposes.

Thanking you for highlighting the rules/laws//practices or not in your case .Anyway thank you and I will awake you next time a thread as this appears and you can throw your spanner "somewhere in there"

I don't really understand your attitude here, you challenged where the relevant laws existed and I pointed out the answer. And the posting of the tax residency laws were an aide to the poster who said he had been stung by them, not diversionary in any way.

Finally, please point me to where I have written, "it's somewhere in there".

Edited by chiang mai

You said you can go to jail, so give us one example .......

Overseas, failed to inform, jail ........

It never happened!

More BS!

I can't help you if you can't read or comprehend what was written.

http://ukfraud.com/benefit-fraud.html

Edited by chiang mai

If you inadvertently break the speed limit, do you go down the police station and hand yourself in?

My government lies to me all the time, I see it as my patriotic duty to lie back.

That's as maybe. But you are still breaking the law.