Some Holiday Idea's Please

Khutan

Hi,

I have not been to Chaing Rai, however it has been on ly list of places to have a holiday for quite some time.

I have had the good fortune to fly over the area many years ago, and what I saw, I certainly liked.

Can someone please give me a few ideas of what showcases the area.

I also remember reading something about a guest house that has recieved a few awards for the food it serves, so that place would be high on my list of places to stay or visit.

Thanks in advance

I am absolutely sure that if you look through the 3040 postings on this forum all your questions will be answered. If you have more specific questions you are welcome to pose them.

Another tip I can give you is to buy some of the books about Chiang Rai, written by Joel Barlow, the gentleman who's last posting you just moved to another forum.

Good luck and welcome to Chiang Rai!

Limbo :o

Hi Khutan and welcome to Chiang Rai.

I have been here 4 years and been around in the province quite a lot in car and on motorbike. There are so many beautiful places around and many interesting places.

So what are you interested in?

Beautiful places? Mae Salong is one of my favourites. If you go to the top with the two temples you will have a beautiful view, especially if you are there a clear day. And don't miss the museum up there with all information about KMT, the chinese army fleeing from the communists via Burma. There are a lot of info there that I had not a clue of.

Doi Tung with Princess Mothers fantastic garden. It is today at least three times bigger compared to the first time I was there 7 years ago. And don't miss the Wat Doi Tung, it is about 10 km north of the garden. And it is also a small zoo in the area, Doi Tung Zoo.

From Doi Tung you can go north up in the mountains towards Mae Sai. There on the border you find a lot of shopping. And if you go over the border to Tachilek, avoid the cheap cigarettes, 70 - 100 bath for 200, they are mostly very old. You can find a lot of DVD's and CD's there but you are not allowed to take more than 10 back to Thailand.

Go east to Golden Triangle. It is a view over the Mekong and you see Burma and Laos on the other side.

Further east to Chiang Saen and you find a museum there that is quite interesting about the old Lanna culture.

When you go back to Chiang Rai from Chiang Saen there is a Buddha museum with the most Buddha images in the world. It is interesting to see the different style of the Buddha images from different time and from different countries. Some items are worth up to 50 million bath. Well worth a visit.

In Chiang Rai there are a couple of interesting places where you can learn about culture and religion. One is the wat where they found the Emerald Buddha, Wat Phra Keow, around 1434.

And there is a private museum, can't remember the name now but that will come in this topic soon, with a lot of interesting Lanna things, mostly from Burma and Thailand.

If you want to see more beautiful views then you must go to Phu Chi Fah, on the border to Laos. There are a lot of gueshouses there so you can spend the night there and early in the morning you go up to the top to see the sunrise over Laos! You stand on 1600 m over sealevel looking down to Laaos 3 - 400 m furhter down.

Another 10 - 15 km towards Chiang Khong you find Gate of Siam. Also on the border to Laos, up in the mountains with a view over Laos and Mekong in the background.

Chiang Kong is where all the backpackers cross the Mekong to go to Luang Prabang in Laos. Two days in a slowboat or 6 hours in a speedboat (not recomended).

About where to stay you have everything from Dusit Island, 3 - 4000 b per night, to Baan Bua for 250 - 350 per night. I have many friends that stayed in both places and they were very happy with the places.

So Khutan, if you have questions, please post them and Joel and all the other guys will be happy to answere them.

One more time, welcome to Chiang Rai. And when you come, maybe we can have Coke together in one of the bars! :o:D:D

Edited by svenivan

i agree with everything svenivan says plus if you want to look south of chiangrai you will pass the white temple (worth a look )and if you want a drive out, i like going to phayao for lunch about 75 k further on from the white temple were you can sit in one of the very reasonable restraunts that look over the biggest lake you will find anywhere.

also if by any chance you own a set of golf clubs you will feel at home with the likes of svenian and a few more of his golfing pals

Thanks for the replies so far. I suppose I like the Mountain scenery and the "Fresh Air".

I am going to Patty next weekend so, I will probably buy a set of cheap clubs.

Thanks for the replies, I am thinking of driving, as I don't mind driving and after my experience on Phuket, of Taxi fares being more than the diesel to drive, then maybe it is easier to bring the car.

I have a Customer in Pitsanalok, so I can overnight it there at the companies expense.

Is there a proper website for the Golder Triangle Inn. The one I remember reading about (No idea of the name) was a little bit like dining in Tree houses or something like that.

I have a Customer in Pitsanalok, so I can overnight it there at the companies expense.

Is there a proper website for the Golder Triangle Inn. The one I remember reading about (No idea of the name) was a little bit like dining in Tree houses or something like that.

In Pit'lok I can recommend the Golden Grand Hotel, not far from the railway station.

It has actually everything, including a nice music place behind the parking place.

800 Baht for a twin including breakfast buffet (055-210234).

Before we had a good combination of guesthouse and restaurant, the Mae Hong Son Guesthouse.

But that is already some years ago.

Just look in the topics 'hotels' and 'restaurants'. I think it is recommendable to combine the two yourself.

I will have a coke as well :D

Limbo :o

A must see for the first time visitor to Chiangrai is our infamous Chainsaw Museum. :o

That is not listed on the TAT Website - Does this museum have a website and a location. Also I would have thought Texas would have been a better place for that.

That is not listed on the TAT Website - Does this museum have a website and a location. Also I would have thought Texas would have been a better place for that.

I didn't know you were interested in museums Khutan, that's why I have to add something to the last posting.

If you would stay in the Golden Grand in Pit'lok, take immediatly to the left when you drive out of the hotel and after fivehundred meters you will see the first sign leading you to the Sgt. Maj. Thawee Folk Museum. It is one of the best folkmuseums I visited in Thailand and only about two kilometers from the hotel.

All kind of axes, but no ..... :o

Limbo

A must see for the first time visitor to Chiangrai is our infamous Chainsaw Museum. :o

Khuntan,

You are right the Texas Museum is allot more better----sorry speaking Thai engrish. Thanks for the Ha,Ha back. Some other (SM's) would have X'd me. We enjoy living in a slow com. Contact me on your arrival, and i will show you some secret places few have seen.

MJ

Khutan,

If you like mountain scenery then you might consider a jaunt into northern Laos via Chiang Khong-Huay Sai. If you want to do this then get a visa before starting your trip north because you can't get one at the border here. Really, the mountains in northern Laos put everything in Thailand to shame...but it is a bit out of the way and takes extra time and planning.

Chownah

Museum is only in virtual realty mode as yet but I'm sure Thaivisa members will be the first to know when it is opened officially by our great liberator Limbo.

Chiang Rai joke.

B.t.w welcome to Chiang Rai temperance sociey.

I am confident you will have a wonderful time here and if you have a query or need a drinking buddy(coke), just give us a call on Thaivisa and we'll be there.

At the end of the day, I really want do see that part of the world on my feet.

To give a better explanation, I flew over the area a number of times before, and I often commented to myself "I would really like to have a look around". There are a few number of other places I have thought this. My feelings were then reinforced when I read something from a Thai Airways magazine that showed a guest house which had received a food award.

So Myself, Mrs Khutan and the baby (nearly 6 and very Nar-luk) take a special holiday once a year, to somewhere we have had a special interest to go to. We are planning on a week in the province, and then travel time to BKk and back. I am going to drive as after I add the time wastage of cheap airlines, taxi's etc, the trusty Issan Pick-up will do all I need, rather than dodgy taxi's.

Anyway, if I can find the hotel I am looking for, and some really good local stuff, that will be great. And those who whant a "Quiet afternoon ale" I am happy to oblige. BTW, there is a party on in Phnom Penh in November at "Flamongers" and I am picking up the bill, booze, food etc. All you need to know is where is Flamongers

Khutan,

If you like mountain scenery then you might consider a jaunt into northern Laos via Chiang Khong-Huay Sai. If you want to do this then get a visa before starting your trip north because you can't get one at the border here. Really, the mountains in northern Laos put everything in Thailand to shame...but it is a bit out of the way and takes extra time and planning.

Chownah

Why no visa upon arrival.?

They allways had 1500 bath for 15 days.