China warns on 'illegal' HK protests

webfact

China issues warning over Hong Kong 'illegal' protests

(BBC) China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi has issued a stern warning against any "illegal" protests in Hong Kong.

Visiting Washington, Mr Wang also warned that the matter was an "internal affair" for China.

His US counterpart, John Kerry, urged Hong Kong to exercise restraint in dealing with the protests.

Earlier, student demonstrators angry at China's vetting of candidates for 2017 elections vowed to step up protests if Chief Executive CY Leung did not quit.

They said that protesters would start occupying government buildings if Mr Leung did not resign by Thursday.

Overnight, protesters massed outside Mr Leung's office in a stand-off with some 200 police.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29453490

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-02

Throughout history, the Chinese government has feared its people.

I agree however I must make one observation. One must consider the sheer magnitude of the population of China in order to truly understand their lack of regard for other people's rights.

• Like 1

Unless the law has changed from my time in HK 7days advance notice in writing had to be given to get a police permit to protest so what's happening is technically illegal.

I hope the protestors remember that the Mainland doesn't tolerate dissent as it sets a dangerous example to others and concession sets a dangerous preceedent.

We can be sure the HK govt has been told to ' sort this out or we will ' and I worry for these young protestors when patience runs out.

• Like 2

Hong Kong is such a small part of China. Why the Chinese would want to choose to fight this battle is beyond me. This is not going to go well for China or Hong Kong. I hope many people start to move out of Hong Kong and leave it a deserted, empty city then the Chinese can have it.

Hong Kong is such a small part of China. Why the Chinese would want to choose to fight this battle is beyond me. This is not going to go well for China or Hong Kong. I hope many people start to move out of Hong Kong and leave it a deserted, empty city then the Chinese can have it.

Leave one of the most libertarian places on earth ? Just walk away from a place that has an incredible banking system and rule of law ?

Peace at any price comes to mind.

They have lots to fear: Hong Kong for the reasons stated above and a functioning Chinese democracy in Taiwan. A democracy which gets very little credit as we all would just rather give up. Thank god for Hong Kong and Taiwanese Democracy

• Like 1

Brilliant idea! And then the Chinese will make a nice museum out of it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree however I must make one observation. One must consider the sheer magnitude of the population of China in order to truly understand their lack of regard for other people's rights.

It is the sheer magnitude of the Chinese armed forces that supports the Chinese poliburo's disregard for human rights. The current Thai Junta has been compared to a politburo in the way it rules the country through political nominations and appointments - much in the same way that the Chinese politburo operates and seeks to operate in Hong Kong.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Unless the law has changed from my time in HK 7days advance notice in writing had to be given to get a police permit to protest so what's happening is technically illegal.
I hope the protestors remember that the Mainland doesn't tolerate dissent as it sets a dangerous example to others and concession sets a dangerous preceedent.

We can be sure the HK govt has been told to ' sort this out or we will ' and I worry for these young protestors when patience runs out.

When laws that unnecessarily restrict freedom of speech cannot be repealed or amended by the electorate to allow for freedom of speech, they become illegal unto themselves. The Thai Junta enacted martial LAW that prevents any public demonstration for any reason and Junta DIRECTIVES that control the content of news and social media as well as any public and private lectures and symposiums. Breach of these laws is also ILLEGAL.

So one must look beyond laws to understand the motivation and expectations of those who have the power to enact them. You can be sure North Korea has a multitude of laws intended to control its citizenship, yet it has the worst human right abuses in the world.

I am very worried about this situation and how it may unfold. Like many posters I am old enough to remember Teinaman (?) Square in Bejing all those years ago. For some time it was a peaceful carnival atmosphere then suddenly................... I just pray it does not happen again

Better shot them than making a mass in country (when thousands of civilians will die) like happened in Ukraine. If you cannot debate and justify your words, and instead use power... then you are not batter than people you are protesting against, as simple as that - easy solution, kill them all :D

Edited by GertrudeL

It is the sheer magnitude of the Chinese armed forces that supports the Chinese poliburo's disregard for human rights. The current Thai Junta has been compared to a politburo in the way it rules the country through political nominations and appointments - much in the same way that the Chinese politburo operates and seeks to operate in Hong Kong.

Funny that. I thought politburo was a Russian organization.

• Like 1