Bangkok: Social Development Ministry sets sight on problem of beggars

webfact

Social Development Ministry sets sight on problem of beggars

BANGKOK, 2 August 2014 (NNT) – The minister of social development and human security has set his sight on addressing the problem of beggars, a common sight at many of Bangkok's pedestrian overpasses.

During a meeting with ministry officials on Wednesday, Social Development and Human Security Minister Adul Saengsingkaew brought up the issue of numerous reports of Thai and foreign persons taking up spots on pedestrian flyovers and begging passersby for money.

Areas popular with beggars include Victory Monument, Ratchaprasong, Asok, Chatuchak, Sukhumwit and Lat Phrao. A number of the beggars are handicapped, while some claim to be afflicted with life-threatening illnesses and others simply pretend to be handicapped.

Pol. Gen. Adul noted that the numerous reports made to the ministry about the beggars came in after the media provided coverage of a 29-year-old German who begged in the Khao San Rd. area. The man, who had a visibly deformed right leg, was later found in Pattaya spending the money he acquired from begging.

Pol. Gen. Adul said ministry officials have been told to work with both state and private sector organizations to address the problem. He said a meeting will also be held specifically to come up with measures to deal with foreign pan-handlers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-02 footer_n.gif

I haven't been in any country in this world that I haven't seen beggars on the streets.

It is a social problem, addressed by many and not much of a solution found.

Lets see how Thailand is going to handle this, after all they know better than the farangswhistling.gif

But please don't raise the problem because of one German guy, look at your own people first.

I got hit up at the airport a week ago. This guy came up to me just before check-in and mumbled something about not enough to buy a ticket. He showed me a wad of cash and said he was 3,000 short. I told him sorry, only got credit cards and he replied "no problem, we can go to the ATM" and pushed that line. Biggish guy with a sort of American Accent. Anyone come across him?

Recently I was in Sydney, Australia and was accosted all over the CBD for money. Ironically, most of those had a cigarette in their hands. I found this odd because they cost about $20 a packet there. Maybe it's just smokers who are compelled to beg because of the high cost of a packet of cigarettes.

But back to Bangkok. There appears to be a kind of 'rent-a-beggar' operation that goes on around Sukhumvit (lower) whereby a pick-up truck arrives and drops people off at certain points along Sukhumvit from Soi 1 through to Asoke intersection early in the morning. Mostly they appear to be young Khmer women with very young infants and sometimes new-born babies. It is a rather distressing sight I must say. As a parent I find it hard to take but I find it harder to stomach that this is some kind of 'organized' operation with the usual BMA suspects complicit in it. If the BMA can manage to keep the hawkers off the streets during daytime I can't see any reason they can't keep beggars off the street (BTW - I am not suggesting all beggars are part of some organized outfit). The broader problem of course, is that there is really no effective safety net in this country for people with disabilities. Therefore, many are forced to beg.

I think the ministry is unfortunately referring to the Bangkok situation only (correct me if I am wrong)

In the countryside we encounter a bigger problem of mentally disturbed bohemians who roam the provinces for food-money and accommodation.

Often beaten up when trespassing on private property, and in a very bad shape of health.

We, the whole family, is aware of the global problem of beggars and bum's, but we always try to imagine a birth with happy parents behind every less fortunate then us.

If the ministry is eying the country sides then the conclusion of inappropriate mental healthcare facilities/medication for this group of people needs urgent response.

• Like 1

I haven't been in any country in this world that I haven't seen beggars on the streets.

It is a social problem, addressed by many and not much of a solution found.

Lets see how Thailand is going to handle this, after all they know better than the farangswhistling.gif

But please don't raise the problem because of one German guy, look at your own people first.

They're not...

"...numerous reports of Thai and foreign persons..."

The first thing they should do is understand what is going on behind begging. Arresting beggars will not work unless they are prepared to arrest beggars for the next 10 years every hour, every day.

The reason is that the majority of beggars are of two types: children who are trafficked, who sell flowers or who beg - most are from SE Asia but are not Thai. They are controlled by traffickers who take the money. Often they keep the kids hungry until they come back with money. One hears stories about them using addictive substances to motivate the kids too. The tourist who would become angry if they were approached by a child selling sex is the same tourist who will buy flowers from the sweet kid whose life is being destroyed by the minders.

The second category are adult beggars, frequently disabled or mothers with children. They are controlled by gangs and placed at strategic spots, especially where tourists go. Each spot is carefully guarded to ensure that no freelance beggar ever encroaches. Many of these beggars are not Thai. Their controllers get the lion's share of the take.

If the police or others detain either group of these beggars, their replacements will probably be in place within a day or two. If there is a crackdown, the controllers will lie low for a while until the crackdown is lifted.

The only solution is to hit the traffickers and controllers hard. Take away their wealth and put them in prison for a long stretch. As soon as a new batch beggars appear, follow the controller trail and imprison that group too. The controllers have to be in control to make the system work - otherwise the beggars would just keep the money. They drop off the beggars and pick them up after the shift.

Some 7 or 8 years in the local market close to where I lived in Pattaya, there was a asian man with no arms, cut off at the shoulder, and no legs, cut off at the hip, who was tied to a 2 wheel hand truck, the type used in many shops. He was there most days. This guy was nothing but a torso with a cup in front of him. I gave a few times until my wife told me it was nothing but a scam. The worst sight I have ever seen here in the LOS.

Seldom see beggars in Bangkok when I walk around many times a day in several directions, and they NEVER approach me. But hassled daily by them in Auckland's main Queen Street, where they sleep and store their bedding and sometimes take over a block due to aggressive behaviour when one ignores them. Police are often trying to sort things out in the mornings.

European tourists are getting in on the Act also, wearing hoodies as they can just plonk down holding out a cup. On the other hand, some just beg to raise money for a concert ticket.

As well local city mission/churches give out free meals to anyone, so it's quite a paradise here for those who choose to supplement the generous benefits that they are given for no contribution. You'd think they would shift to cheaper/nicer areas if getting the same money.

I do enjoy the busking of some who are trying to "give back", especially the blind man at MRT by Centralplaza Lard Prao...on hot days I try to remember to take cold drinking water bottle for him.