Immigration at Suvarnaphumi refused to give visa on arrival

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20,000 baht is quite high for a stamp ohmy.png 20,000 is the overstay fine maximum.

He is going to have a great party tonight....

BTW, I think you mean 30 day visa waiver. Visa waiver means you do not need a visa to enter, while visa on arrival is for countries that cannot enter the country without a visa.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

20,000 baht is quite high for a stamp ohmy.png 20,000 is the overstay fine maximum.

He is going to have a great party tonight....

BTW, I think you mean 30 day visa waiver. Visa waiver means you do not need a visa to enter, while visa on arrival is for countries that cannot enter the country without a visa.

"BTW, I think you mean 30 day visa waiver."

Actually it's called a visa exempt entry.

• Like 2

NO, stop the corruption by getting rid of these people, after firing them file charges in court.

Transferring the corrupt officers, officials to an inactive post has and will never work. Unpaid leave while the charges are investigated. Loosing their job and retirement, plus jail time may help deter this kind of corruption.

But sadly most don't report this corruption, either from fear of reprisal, or "not my business". never mind!

get details, numbers names of those involved, the person involved should be traceable through the visa stamp in the passport.

As long as no action is taken this type of corruption will continue and it does reflect on the image of "The Kingdom of Thailand".

It become another nail in the coffin of the credibility of Thailand.

• Like 2

This is what the grey areas are for , no one knows the rules , if they can be called rules , leaving loop holes for piss taking little shits like this to rip people off

Report the little Turd

Edited by Sena Dave
  • Like 2

NO, stop the corruption by getting rid of these people, after firing them file charges in court.

Transferring the corrupt officers, officials to an inactive post has and will never work. Unpaid leave while the charges are investigated. Loosing their job and retirement, plus jail time may help deter this kind of corruption.

But sadly most don't report this corruption, either from fear of reprisal, or "not my business". never mind!

get details, numbers names of those involved, the person involved should be traceable through the visa stamp in the passport.

As long as no action is taken this type of corruption will continue and it does reflect on the image of "The Kingdom of Thailand".

Works great when corruption is under control, but not when it is endemic. You could take a stand -- but understand that you are an outsider and can easily be retaliated against by any number of immigration staff that may be friends with that individual and also corrupt. Immigration officers are given lots of discretion, and power. I have not heard of a formal appeals process like there is for countries like the US. The time to stand up to it was on entry when the likely only retaliation was entry refusal and you had to exit and re-enter later. It will come down to he said / he said and I doubt anything will come of it except maybe someone blacklisting him to get rid of the problem.

If I were you, I'd go to Chang Wattana and ask for clarifications as to why I was charged

that much money and make sure you take the names of the people you talk to,,,

and how can I avoid such situation from happening again....

• Like 2

If I were you, I'd go to Chang Wattana and ask for clarifications as to why I was charged

The act of bribing an officer is also illegal....

He doesn't have to say it was a bribe , just ask is it normal procedure under the new guidelines to pay 20,000 Baht for a 30 day landing visa , act like an idiot basically

It would help to have a more precise history of his entries. It seems he has a history of numerous visa exempt entries and may of been trying to do a in/out entry after just staying for the the entire 30 days.

It seems immigration was wanting to see financial proof in accordance with the guidelines for visa exempt entrees.

This is what the grey areas are for , no one knows the rules , if they can be called rules , leaving loop holes for piss taking little shits like this to rip people off

Report the little Turd

I agree. You should report the scumbag.

Although what will probably happen is if there is a trial or administrative hearing it will be scheduled for when you are not in the country and he will walk. He probably won't like you much after that either.

Edited by BudRight

Having a child would give him the possibility to file for a 60 day extension, than go to Laos to get a Non O.

Airport has certain procedure and I believe IO has "more power" than airline.

If refused he would pay for his ticket back to Japan, not believe that Airline is responsible, you are "refused entry", basicly being send to a "holding Room" with no right to move freely in the Airport.

You could of gone back to the airlines you flew in on and told them that you were refused entry. They would be responsible for flying you back home. But, before they do that, they would find out why you were refused entry and I am sure that guy would be questioned. The airlines have a lot of say at the airport and in the country. They are in the business of bringing tourist to Thailand. The country doesn't need any bad press as far as tourism goes. They are losing money and the fact this guy is possibly taking "tea money" to let people in wouldn't go over so well.

the airlines cannot be held responsible, i know this from experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

He doesn't have to say it was a bribe , just ask is it normal procedure under the new guidelines to pay 20,000 Baht for a 30 day landing visa , act like an idiot basically

You really think that they would believe that story? If he were the "exception" to the rule and the service was free from corruption - you might have a chance..... but the bigger likelihood would others in that same department (higher-ups that take a cut) would see you as a threat and use the full force of the law to silence you. A Thai officer would be more likely to be given the benefit of doubt if the testimony is just the word of someone.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

stand your ground next time an show some strength not weakness..

I agree with this

I have said this all along and yet I hear so many say, "it's a service" or something else that signifies the not my business or never mind attitude.

Works great when corruption is under control, but not when it is endemic. You could take a stand -- but understand that you are an outsider and can easily be retaliated against by any number of immigration staff that may be friends with that individual and also corrupt. Immigration officers are given lots of discretion, and power. I have not heard of a formal appeals process like there is for countries like the US. The time to stand up to it was on entry when the likely only retaliation was entry refusal and you had to exit and re-enter later. It will come down to he said / he said and I doubt anything will come of it except maybe someone blacklisting him to get rid of the problem.

The first thing to do is take out the camera and start recording the entire thing. Like you say, the worst is that you are inconvenienced and must reenter, but when you file a complaint you have it all...and put it on YouTube... the more of us that do this in ALL cases, the more this crap will get exposed... just my opinion.
IF I am following procedures (if there is such a thing) and I am jacked up for money aI stand my ground and slowly start to let it be known that I will progressively make a scene...

Corrupt officials shaking down foreigners for extra spending money...is so routine...many people just consider it part of the normal business practices of this fine country...This is Thailand...

• Like 1

I have heard from many members and understand that, more of less, I just got shafted and can't do much about it without putting myself in danger. However, the second part of my problem is: before the end of the 30 days, if I got to an immigration office like in Pattaya, do you think they will still give me a 30 day visa exemption? Right now, that is the most important to me (my fixed ticket with Jetstar is for Oct 1 - Nov 29. If I can't get an extension, I face even more problems. Can someone give me advice on that?

When an immigration officer asks for money what else can you do a few years ago it was rife on Samui a certain officer used to rip off tourists and long stayers big time a friend of mine was forced to give him 10,000 baht he even took him to the cash point and on receipt of the money handed him his passport then dropped him off by the ferry back to Koh Phangan thankfully every cost is now posted on a huge board outside the building . Unless you give the exact money you never get any change !!!

If you dn't want to report it yourself, you can report it to your embassy. If the get many complaints, the take it up with the Thai government.

I cannot predict the future, but unless you have many back to back entries into Thailand, (leaving and re-entering the same day) you should be fine for the extension. I have not seen reports so far of people being denied the extension, especially with a ticket out to their home country you should be fine.

• Like 1

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

You really think that they would believe that story? If he were the "exception" to the rule and the service was free from corruption - you might have a chance..... but the bigger likelihood would others in that same department (higher-ups that take a cut) would see you as a threat and use the full force of the law to silence you. A Thai officer would be more likely to be given the benefit of doubt if the testimony is just the word of someone.

Well I wouldn't sit back and take it . I probably wouldn't have given him the money either. The more people shit their pants and do nothing the longer they will continue to rip people off

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you were shaken down by this corrupt official abusing his position of power.

I suppose the 'clampdown' has presented them with opportunity.

I don't know the answer, getting your phone out and taking his picture, or saying you will call your embassy likely wouldn't help.