Immigration at Suvarnaphumi refused to give visa on arrival

If I were you, I'd go to Chang Wattana and ask for clarifications as to why I was charged

that much money and make sure you take the names of the people you talk to,,,

and how can I avoid such situation from happening again....

Good idea and don't forget the receipt.

You did get a receipt didn't you?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard from many members and understand that, more of less, I just got shafted and can't do much about it without putting myself in danger. However, the second part of my problem is: before the end of the 30 days, if I got to an immigration office like in Pattaya, do you think they will still give me a 30 day visa exemption? Right now, that is the most important to me (my fixed ticket with Jetstar is for Oct 1 - Nov 29. If I can't get an extension, I face even more problems. Can someone give me advice on that?

You will be able to get a 30 day extension at immigration without a problem. Just the application form, passport and departure card copies will be needed plus the 1900 baht fee.

You need to look into other options for your entries. Relying on visa exempt entries is not acceptable now unless you stay less than 30 days and/or have some time between your entries.

Japanese do not require visa in almost every country of the planet, and with Thailand has a reciprocal visa waiver agreement , under no circumstances he could charge you even one bhat. Man you are being cheated. Do not hesitate to report this.

This is disgraceful.

If this kind of story made into the Japanese press - the usual result is the cancellation of a huge number of bookings. Bang, then and there.

I remember in Bali, one lousy Dengue incident was prominently reported in Japan - hardly saw another Japanese tourist for months. Hard to believe, but I remember it well, because authorities where complaining about too many noisy, ugly, drunken Australian tourists and wanted to focus on polite up market rich Japanese ones.

Needles to say, that idea of attracting quality and getting rid of quantity didn't last long.

Agreed. OP is not a tourist.

Next!!

For sure there was a bottle of JW black on the IO's table last night and the Hong Thong was in the bin.

For 20K did he call you the limo service ?

Why didn't you get a non-O before leaving .. your not a tourist.

This is great news. Very glad to know this kind of service is still available amidst all of these visa runner crackdowns. I will ask for this guy next time I have problems doing a visa run :)

Did you not try to negotiate the fee a little lower? I am pretty sure he'd accept 5K per entry.

Clearly they should have sent OP back to where he came from given that he is not a tourist and clearly not interested in following the rules.

The officer took some risk and was benevolent at best for accepting OP into the country.

As for bad press? If your papers are in order and you are adhering to the rules, your visa is legitimate, there is no opportunity for this issue to occur.

So what came first? The chicken or the egg?

This is disgraceful.

If this kind of story made into the Japanese press - the usual result is the cancellation of a huge number of bookings. Bang, then and there.

I remember in Bali, one lousy Dengue incident was prominently reported in Japan - hardly saw another Japanese tourist for months. Hard to believe, but I remember it well, because authorities where complaining about too many noisy, ugly, drunken Australian tourists and wanted to focus on polite up market rich Japanese ones.

Needles to say, that idea of attracting quality and getting rid of quantity didn't last long.

• Like 1

Tough call but having been implicit in an alleged illegal act it's too late now to do anything about it. Like a previous poster suggested you should have had more balls at he time. You just fuelled corruption. Good luck anyway with your extension.

"If you have trouble leaving the country, then just ask for me."

That sounds like you will have trouble for sure on the way out, and they will clip you for another 20K on exit.

Might be a good time to get some real evidence. They have some very tiny cameras around these days.

Clearly someone should freshen up on the rules here. I/O has recently been widely publicized but there are several items at play:

1) multiple exempt entries in passport - some are adding up number of days in the kingdom, others are strictly enforcing three stamps as a maximum in the span of 180 days

2) entry purpose - if here without specific itinerary indicating travel and some form of hotel reservations, are you really a tourist? Staying at your home may be a red flag if arriving on 30 day exempt.

3) onward travel - where is the ticket out, sir?

4) capital requirements - clearly OP had the minimal capital requirement of 20k ฿

Let's look at the spirit of these rules, shall we? If you want to come here multiple times, have children, or are working, get your papers in order.

• Like 1

NO, stop the corruption by getting rid of these people, after firing them file charges in court.

Transferring the corrupt officers, officials to an inactive post has and will never work. Unpaid leave while the charges are investigated. Loosing their job and retirement, plus jail time may help deter this kind of corruption.

But sadly most don't report this corruption, either from fear of reprisal, or "not my business". never mind!

get details, numbers names of those involved, the person involved should be traceable through the visa stamp in the passport.

As long as no action is taken this type of corruption will continue and it does reflect on the image of "The Kingdom of Thailand".

It become another nail in the coffin of the credibility of Thailand.

Agreed. The OP just made a bad situation that much worse for the rest of the borderline tourists, by making it easy to bilk money from the foolish, weak and desperate people. Hope he goes to prison. Next time get his name and ID Number.

To me i think its a good call and very fair, this is one on the thinks i like about Thailand is that if you are in the wrong for minor offence you can get out of it by paying a little.

This is not really corruption, the new law clearly states that people entering on VOA after 2 or 3 will get refused entry there was a big song and dance about it so the office could of refused entry sent you back from whereever you came from to get an actual visa, which would have been more than 20k if you don't have return flight booked.

Next time stand firm on 10k

Edited by 2008bangkok
  • Like 1

"If you have trouble leaving the country, then just ask for me."

That sounds like you will have trouble for sure on the way out, and they will clip you for another 20K on exit.

Might be a good time to get some real evidence. They have some very tiny cameras around these days.

Probably means the 'entry' hasn't been properly logged in the Immigration computer and hence the questions when trying to leave.

I would suggest that the OP forgets about getting any extension as that may also red-flag his dodgy entry.

Just go and get the correct visa in Savanakhet.... if you get out I mean.

There is a solution! Never ever come again to Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not that beautyfull anymore, its underminded by corruption everywhere, foreigners are not welcome, its not cheap and much much more!

So there is no reason why go to visit Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Corrupt officials shaking down foreigners for extra spending money...is so routine...many people just consider it part of the normal business practices of this fine country...This is Thailand...

I would say not routine been coming here since 1970 never been asked for money, well just my gik

There is a solution! Never ever come again to Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not that beautyfull anymore, its underminded by corruption everywhere, foreigners are not welcome, its not cheap and much much more!

So there is no reason why go to visit Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good ideal I'll hold the door and after you leave I will close and lock it

• Like 1

"They"can and do what they like to you whether immigration,medical,hospitals,entrance fees,Taxis,guest house owners,landlords it's a way of life in Thailand,oh I forgot the jet skis,and don't have an accident!!!!!

""They"can and do what they like to you whether immigration,medical,hospitals,entrance fees,Taxis,guest house owners,landlords it's a way of life in Thailand..."

Yes, it's only in Thailand that immigrations officers have discretion and hospitals and all the rest can screw over clueless tourists or illegal aliens.

I sometimes wonder if farang who come to Thailand lived their entire lives in some sort of protective bubble. Corruption by government employees, taxi drivers taking advantage of the clueless, gouging landlords, hospitals demanding pay up front from the uninsured, etc. exist everywhere including the much vaunted first world capitalist driven economies.

Not excusing it, but a little perspective is needed. "... a way of life in Thailand ..." makes it sound, once again, that everything bad in the world only exists in Thailand.

On the other hand we have farang who come here, refuse to abide by the rules or can't be bothered (or capable of) understanding them, who don't buy insurance, who come here to beg and then who party off the proceeds, who leave valuable things in taxis, who get drunk & push one another off balconies ... and all of this, we hear, is always to be blamed on Thais and Thailand.

Maybe some countries need to impose some restrictions on issuing passports. Obviously some people need minders to look after them 24/7.

In another thread a farang with no insurance faces a Baht 300,000 operation for a long-standing pre-existing condition. Now he wants to start insurance coverage. Maybe pay a Baht 20,000 premium and immediately have the company pay a hospital Baht 300,000. The nanny state mentality and sense of entitlement that many farang bring with them in truly mind-boggling.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

"They"can and do what they like to you whether immigration,medical,hospitals,entrance fees,Taxis,guest house owners,landlords it's a way of life in Thailand,oh I forgot the jet skis,and don't have an accident!!!!!

<snip>

In another thread a farang with no insurance faces a Baht 300,000 operation for a long-standing pre-existing condition. Now he wants to start insurance coverage. Maybe pay a Baht 20,000 premium and immediately have the company pay a hospital Baht 300,000. The nanny state mentality and sense of entitlement that many farang bring with them in truly mind-boggling.

Not correct. He has said he will use his insurance for which he has paid social premiums.

For the rest, yes, agree with you.

20,000 is the overstay fine maximum.

20,000 is also the daily ATM withdrawal limit. If they ever increase the withdrawal limit...my guess is that the greedy buggers will increase the maximum overstay fine also.

20,000 is also the daily ATM withdrawal limit. If they ever increase the withdrawal limit...my guess is that the greedy buggers will increase the maximum overstay fine also.

Limits depend on banks, account types, etc.

Most ATM's though will give 20 notes per transaction, but also there 'most'.

No it isn't. It is usually the most you can withdraw from an ATM per transaction. My daily limit is set by me at my bank.

Maybe I should have said "Usually, generally speaking, on average" 20,000 is the limit. blink.png

If you would have said 'from the ATM' and left out 'daily' that would have been correct.

Edited by stevenl

Having a child would give him the possibility to file for a 60 day extension, than go to Laos to get a Non O.

Airport has certain procedure and I believe IO has "more power" than airline.

If refused he would pay for his ticket back to Japan, not believe that Airline is responsible, you are "refused entry", basicly being send to a "holding Room" with no right to move freely in the Airport.

I'm pretty sure the airline is on the hook for flying you back at their expense.

About 10 years ago American Airlines in Orlando didn't want to give me a boarding pass, as I didn't have a return ticket nor onward travel ticket, nor official Thailand visa.

They told me they'd have to fly me back at their expense if immigration refused me entry.

I talked them into letting me board, as I had many, many Asian country stamps in my passport & told them (truthfully) I was the Asia rep for my company & traveled a lot. I also had about 30 each, 30 day Thailand visa waiver/whatever-you-call-it stamps in my passport.

Before you start following the advice to go to court and fight your situation, keep in mind that you are not in Thailand legally until you are admitted into the country. Therefore the laws of Thailand do not apply to your status until it changes to "admitted". Most countries refusing entry have unlimited authority to do almost anything they want as you are not protected by the laws of that country until you are "admitted".

Do you really think that if you were in court and you were able to apply the law of Thailand to your situation that you would not be accused of bribing the official to gain entry as the facts you related seem to suggest that occurred. This is a classic case of "he said she said" so I doubt you would prevail when counter allegations are alleged against you.

• Like 1

you have 2 sons in Thailand? and you pay for a 30 day stamp? stupid, hard to believe, nobody can stop you from entering the country,

only if you comite a crime and this they have to show with evidence, you even can stay for 3 month with a 2 month extension, I can not believe anybody would pay 20000 baht for entering thailand

How long do you stay in Thailand per year? Do you come in and out on the same day or after a few days?

I would complain to the Japanese embassy and possibly a media outlet in Japan. But, they would probably want to take a photo etc and reveal your identity, which could flag you at immigration.

Having to pay bribes to enter a country is 3rd world thinking.