Immigration at Suvarnaphumi refused to give visa on arrival

stand your ground next time an show some strength not weakness..

It is easy to say that, but when you are in OP position and the possibility is real tgat he could get refuswd entry amd have to fork out for a quick return flight home the situation and thought process is different. Immediate thouts are that ur holiday is screwed and you have already spent money on fligths and other bookings such as hotels.

So it is easy to sat Stand Your Ground but in the Land of Scams sometimes you gotta pick your battles

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and he took me to the immigration counter and stamped a 30 day visa in my passport, and said that next time I should be sure to get a visa, and if I had any trouble leaving the country I should ask for him! So my first day started with losing $651.47. Since he was the senior officer, there was nothing I could do about it. (But now, I have to worry about getting the 30 day extension!) So, it looks like the corruption in Thailand has not be helped by the army coup. So I am in Thailand and don't know if some other immigration office will give me the 30 day extension, or if I'll have to leave Thailand at the end of the 30 days. I am staying with my son in Chonburi and my other son in Roi Et.

Difficult to say if your entry was correctly registered in the computer, if done correctly then no other immigration officer will hamper you. You get the 30day extension at the local immigration office of the province, not at the border. And exiting ought not to be a problem if your departure card was correctly registered and your extension was granted. If your 30day extension is denied you have 7 days to leave the country. As for asking for this specific officer if having trouble, I doubt he gave you his name, and he is not on 24hour duty, nor do we know if his responsabilities cover nor only arrivals but also departures.

Agreed. OP is not a tourist.

Next!!

For sure there was a bottle of JW black on the IO's table last night and the Hong Thong was in the bin.

For 20K did he call you the limo service ?

Why didn't you get a non-O before leaving .. your not a tourist.

Who says that visiting relatives is not a tourist activity ???

OP did not mention if his sons are Thai nationals, if not they cannot be used as basis for a non-O visa application.

What did the OP exactly do wrong? I don't understand it totally. Having to many 30 day visa excempt is a problem? I really didn't know that.

Today i applied for 3 tourist visa's of 2 months, i am getting this since 10 years in row, but today it was refused to me at the thai ambassy.

The problem was that i didn't bring bankaccountpapers (they don't mention that on their website) but then i got papers from the bank around the corner and then it still was refused.

They showed me my last used multiple visa and the stamps that i used to renew that multiple visa. I flew to singapore and was back 4 hours later to stay another 2 months and do it again.

Some months later i also had been in thailand for 30 days so that made 7 months in thailand for this year and that was the reason to refuse me the visa. I could only get 1 tourist visa of 2 months today.

So my question is: where can i find the official rules for visa? I mean the new rules where it says that i need to show my bankaccount to get a multiple visa??

The persons next to me at the embassy were not asked for their bankaccounts because they were clearly tourists. I even filled in my address of my wife's house. We are married for budha only.

So if i tell them i want to visit my wife then i am not welcome in thailadn (for 6 months) but if i say i am a tourist it is no problem. That's the lesson i learned today.

But i don't want to have problems like the OP by having to many single entry stamps in my passport. So i want to read the real visa law if i can find it somewhere.

There is internationally a generally accepted limit of 180 days stay per 12 months on tourist visas. This cutoff limit has to do with taxation, one gets taxed in the country of residence, e.g. the one where one stays longer than a half of a year. While Thai immigration was never bothered about this, see those long time stayers with back-to-back visas, several consulates in the west take this issue serious and will not grant visas infringing on this rule. Seems that until now consulates in neighbouring countries to Thailand neither checked. As for the encoding in Thai laws, I cannot help.

ETA: I just did see you mentioned your wife. You qualify for a non-O visa based on marriage. Get this in the form with a one year validity and multiple entries. Each entry gives you a 90 day stay before doing a border run. You can also get a one time 30 day extension locally on the current entry. This assumes of course a legally registered marriage, not only a Buddhist ceremony.

Edited by RTH10260

stand your ground next time an show some strength not weakness..

It is easy to say that, but when you are in OP position and the possibility is real tgat he could get refuswd entry amd have to fork out for a quick return flight home the situation and thought process is different. Immediate thouts are that ur holiday is screwed and you have already spent money on fligths and other bookings such as hotels.

So it is easy to sat Stand Your Ground but in the Land of Scams sometimes you gotta pick your battles

Good post.I do wonder what will happen if you "stand your ground and not give in to extortion" like many of the TV members here says? Are you guaranteed that you will see a superior immigration officer that would listen to your complains and then let you in ?

If I`m in that position I would do whatever to get in the country.......

There is internationally a generally accepted limit of 180 days stay per 12 months on tourist visas. This cutoff limit has to do with taxation, one gets taxed in the country of residence, e.g. the one where one stays longer than a half of a year.

There is nothing like that. Each country sets his own regulations. Thailand has no time limit set for any type of stay, visa or visa exempt. Taxation issues are irrelevant to Immigration issue.

Good post.I do wonder what will happen if you "stand your ground and not give in to extortion" like many of the TV members here says? Are you guaranteed that you will see a superior immigration officer that would listen to your complains and then let you in ?

If I`m in that position I would do whatever to get in the country.......

Yes, being determined and getting in contact with someone outside one likely will cause the extortionist to back off. There is also an appeal process but they will not tell you about and in fact very little is known about the details.

There is internationally a generally accepted limit of 180 days stay per 12 months on tourist visas. This cutoff limit has to do with taxation, one gets taxed in the country of residence, e.g. the one where one stays longer than a half of a year.

There is nothing like that. Each country sets his own regulations. Thailand has no time limit set for any type of stay, visa or visa exempt. Taxation issues are irrelevant to Immigration issue.

Thailand DOES go buy the 180 day per year rule..

My last entry at Phuket airport this past week i was pulled aside due to numerous trips this year to Thailand all on visa exempt stamp yes I am a tourist,The count came to 120 under the limit but worth a count i guess..was amusing to see 3 officers adding up the days all coming up with a diferant total.....180 days seems to be the magic number to be or not be a tourist.....

My last entry at Phuket airport this past week i was pulled aside due to numerous trips this year to Thailand all on visa exempt stamp yes I am a tourist,The count came to 120 under the limit but worth a count i guess..was amusing to see 3 officers adding up the days all coming up with a diferant total.....180 days seems to be the magic number to be or not be a tourist.....

Wrong, the "180 days" rule has been repealed 25/11/2008

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

Wrong, the "180 days" rule has been repealed 25/11/2008

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

Hmmm, would have been nice to see the previous wording. IIRC is may have spoken of a 90 days within 180 days limit on visa exempt entries.

Still looking for the proper Thai regulation on this issue, cause several consulates / embassies try to limit the number of followup visas of any kind, tourist as also non-O, to these magic numbers.

Hmmm, would have been nice to see the previous wording. IIRC is may have spoken of a 90 days within 180 days limit on visa exempt entries.

Still looking for the proper Thai regulation on this issue, cause several consulates / embassies try to limit the number of followup visas of any kind, tourist as also non-O, to these magic numbers.

Previous wording in police order 608/2549 was 90 days in six months for visa exempt entries only.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/87092-immigration-police-order-6082549/

There is no limit about visa from MoF. All the what individual consulates do is their own unpublished local rules.

Edited by paz

In the last 2 months ive entered Thailand 5 times on 30 day waivers with not a single question asked. I dont say a word at immigration, and they dont say anything back. I just hand them my passport, smile and they stamp it.

I never stay here for more than a week, so thats what probably makes it "OK"

Ive noticed from working in Japan that many Japanese people have this habit of asking superfluous questions. If you ever stand behind a Japanese guy at an airport check in they always seems to take longer than anyone else, as they seem to think they are obliged to ask odd questions of the check in staff.

Maybe its just their way of being polite?

You could of gone back to the airlines you flew in on and told them that you were refused entry. They would be responsible for flying you back home. But, before they do that, they would find out why you were refused entry and I am sure that guy would be questioned. The airlines have a lot of say at the airport and in the country. They are in the business of bringing tourist to Thailand. The country doesn't need any bad press as far as tourism goes. They are losing money and the fact this guy is possibly taking "tea money" to let people in wouldn't go over so well.

Great advice!