Immigration at Suvarnaphumi refused to give visa on arrival

I have heard from many members and understand that, more of less, I just got shafted and can't do much about it without putting myself in danger. However, the second part of my problem is: before the end of the 30 days, if I got to an immigration office like in Pattaya, do you think they will still give me a 30 day visa exemption? Right now, that is the most important to me (my fixed ticket with Jetstar is for Oct 1 - Nov 29. If I can't get an extension, I face even more problems. Can someone give me advice on that?

Should be ok with extension.

You write in first posting "I am staying with my son in Chonburi and my other son in Roi Et."

These are Japanese sons? No Thai sons? You cannot get Visa using your sons as a reason for a Non Immigrant O Visa?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lesson: Never ask superfluous questions @immigration

if you have an iphone you should have been recording the whole thing then produced the phone just after he said "How much" and reported this.

Really? And what are the chances he would have been able to leave the room with phone intact???

I'd say less than 0.

• Like 1

Clearly they should have sent OP back to where he came from given that he is not a tourist and clearly not interested in following the rules.

The officer took some risk and was benevolent at best for accepting OP into the country.

As for bad press? If your papers are in order and you are adhering to the rules, your visa is legitimate, there is no opportunity for this issue to occur.

So what came first? The chicken or the egg?

The apologist come first, especially when defending corruption as you did, winning the first prize for shame.

"benevolent".. ah!

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe this story . A normal 30 day visa is given to any traveller without any questions asked .

But if it really happened I would report that immigration officer and would ask to speak to someone else. Corruption is a serious crime.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe this story . A normal 30 day visa is given to any traveller without any questions asked .

Not true. Virtually anybody can be questioned and refused, certain nationalities more than others, repeated out/in visa exempt, etc.

But if it really happened I would report that immigration officer and would ask to speak to someone else. Corruption is a serious crime.

When one is refused entry from an officer that has the power to do it, is not that he can talk to someone else. And if that next up officer is covering the back of his subordinate (for a share), nothing good will come out. Supposedly there is a process to appeal immigration decision but no details are known about it, for sure officers do not mention it and it has to be taken while detained. So people either flies out or in some cases pays up to be let in.

• Like 1

And because of this it will continue.

Yes, all further corruption is all going to happen because of this OPer. No wonder foreigners are not liked that much - it is there fault :P

(the rest of the post I agree with)

Lesson: Never ask superfluous questions @immigration

This should be in bold large font. Simply walk through the process as if you cannot conceive of any possible issue. NEVER ask a question, and avoid conversation.

Only when someone asks you questions should you consider saying one word other than "สวัสดีครับ" or "ขอบคุณครับ". And then, you should be as innocent, naive, and polite as possible. The few times I have had to interact with immigration or the BIB, I simply spoke the little bit of Thai I am able to, showed constant respect, and acted as polite as possible. I have never had a problem.

By your action you just should be treated same as this "officer" .....corruption is on both sides ..."seller and buyer" this way next people will be affected same way.

It could cost you much less going back to any close countries to get full visa...

You should send a letter of complain to any possible office including new Prime minister...

To be honest next time I would use any kind of recording device on any contact with those people....IT IS EASY this days and cheap. (Any smart phone has recording software ...).

Satisfaction could be sweet.biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png if you show him even sound recording after all.
coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

By your action you just should be treated same as this "officer" .....corruption is on both sides ..."seller and buyer" this way next people will be affected same way.

It could cost you much less going back to any close countries to get full visa...

You should send a letter of complain to any possible office including new Prime minister...

To be honest next time I would use any kind of recording device on any contact with those people....IT IS EASY this days and cheap. (Any smart phone has recording software ...).

Satisfaction could be sweet.biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png if you show him even sound recording after all.

Thank you for your advice. As you suggest, any time you are mistreated, it is a case of "even Steven;" you deserve whatever comes to you whether you are in the right or in the wrong. It takes "two to tango."

Use of recording devices in immigration at the airport is ALSO illegal. Many on this board have said that you cannot choose which laws you will obey and which ones you don't obey.... as such if someone is caught doing said action the punishment could be arrest and deportation (blacklisted due to criminal record) :o

What did the OP exactly do wrong? I don't understand it totally. Having to many 30 day visa excempt is a problem? I really didn't know that.

Today i applied for 3 tourist visa's of 2 months, i am getting this since 10 years in row, but today it was refused to me at the thai ambassy.

The problem was that i didn't bring bankaccountpapers (they don't mention that on their website) but then i got papers from the bank around the corner and then it still was refused.

They showed me my last used multiple visa and the stamps that i used to renew that multiple visa. I flew to singapore and was back 4 hours later to stay another 2 months and do it again.

Some months later i also had been in thailand for 30 days so that made 7 months in thailand for this year and that was the reason to refuse me the visa. I could only get 1 tourist visa of 2 months today.

So my question is: where can i find the official rules for visa? I mean the new rules where it says that i need to show my bankaccount to get a multiple visa??

The persons next to me at the embassy were not asked for their bankaccounts because they were clearly tourists. I even filled in my address of my wife's house. We are married for budha only.

So if i tell them i want to visit my wife then i am not welcome in thailadn (for 6 months) but if i say i am a tourist it is no problem. That's the lesson i learned today.

But i don't want to have problems like the OP by having to many single entry stamps in my passport. So i want to read the real visa law if i can find it somewhere.

What did the OP exactly do wrong? I don't understand it totally. Having to many 30 day visa excempt is a problem? I really didn't know that.

Today i applied for 3 tourist visa's of 2 months, i am getting this since 10 years in row, but today it was refused to me at the thai ambassy.

The problem was that i didn't bring bankaccountpapers (they don't mention that on their website) but then i got papers from the bank around the corner and then it still was refused.

They showed me my last used multiple visa and the stamps that i used to renew that multiple visa. I flew to singapore and was back 4 hours later to stay another 2 months and do it again.

Some months later i also had been in thailand for 30 days so that made 7 months in thailand for this year and that was the reason to refuse me the visa. I could only get 1 tourist visa of 2 months today.

So my question is: where can i find the official rules for visa? I mean the new rules where it says that i need to show my bankaccount to get a multiple visa??

First of all it seems strange that you've been give triple entry tourist visa in the region, because they have not been issued since years already. You did not even mentioned where.

Then, there are no official rules or laws. Each consulate do as they like within the established types of visa that exist from Ministry of foreign affairs.

For example in your case you cannot expect to receive a non-imm 'O' visa, because you're not married, but you can receive double entry visa in Laos without showing proof of funds. Each entry can be extended 30 days making 6 months total in country.

First of all it seems strange that you've been give triple entry tourist visa in the region, because they have not been issued since years already. You did not even mentioned where.

Then, there are no official rules or laws. Each consulate do as they like within the established types of visa that exist from Ministry of foreign affairs.

For example in your case you cannot expect to receive a non-imm 'O' visa, because you're not married, but you can receive double entry visa in Laos without showing proof of funds. Each entry can be extended 30 days making 6 months total in country.

I got the triple tourist visa 3x2 months from the Hague in the Netherlands last year. I didn't have to show them any funds.

yes i plan to go to laos and also get married to stop all that visa-nonsense. I have been avoiding it for many years by flying in and out but i m tired of that. I don't want to be busy with visa-stuff when i am in thailand, i want that non immi O for married and can renew it at the immigration in Bkk.

But i was planning to fly in out thailand many times coming period untill i am married officially. How many times are we allowed to fly in out on that 30 day tourist visa? One wrote 2-3 times in row but where can i find those rules so i can learn them? I don't want to get conned like the OP.

But if i showed sufficient funds today i would have gotten the 3x2 visa again, the embassy website didn't mention about showing funds so i didn't bring any financial papers. In 10 years i never had to do that and it was not mentioned on the website yesterday when i prepared all paperwork.

First they made problems about the fact i didn't bring bankpapers, then the problem was that i allready stayed in Thailand 7 months this year. It was also no good that i renewed my multiple visa's by flying to singapore to renew it and come back same day. I don't see the problem with that because it's totally legal as far as i see.

They asked me many times if i didn't work in thailand, which i don't do. People next to me told them about their travelling in and around thailand and got multiple visa's without any problem. And i could only get 1 visa for 2 months.

Edited by namdocmai