Looming Disaster

> <deleted> after reading all this wouldn't you be safer sleeping

> in a bamboo hut somewhere - else;

What, are you nuts?! Those tend to be in mountain areas, what about mud slides? Fire? We're dddddddooooooooooOOOOOOOMMMMddddddd .d . dd. d. da.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just adding more cement to the mix doesn't necessarily help.

You need about 2,500 psi (pounds per square inch) for concrete post and beams to be sound.

...forget how that calculates into kilos per square centimeters. (ksc)

Some of the problems I encountered up north was that you could "spec" the strength of the

concrete but the tests results were dubious. In fact I asked for some of my own samples to be

tested and the ready mix plant had the test equipment but nobody new how to use it.

I had my warehouse designed to US standards and engineered for California seismic zone

and the plans drawn in the US in metric scale. However, the building department in the north

said the the engineering was considered "high technology" and they didn't understand so

could not approve it, so would have to send to Bangkok.

A few days later and a few drinks later he confessed that he would probably just throw the plans

the plans in the trash and not send to Bangkok at all as it would complicate everyones lives.

He reminded me that I was in Thailand and should do things the Thai way.

What I was proposing was a simple CMU (cement masonry units) building with solid grout

and continuous footings. Very common and very simple and very low tech here in So. Calif.

And also very safe in earthquakes.

For those people thinking of building US style homes in Thailand to US standards...think again.

Even if you could be assured that the concrete is strong enough and even if you could be assured the steel is strong enough and even if you could be assured that it gets placed correctly you still have the very big problem using post and beam construction as the infill walls underneath those

beams is unreinforced masonry and is very heavy and subject to collaspe in moderate earthquakes.

You won't get me to live in one of those death traps.

Granted Chiang Mai is not So. California but the whole area sits on top of fault lines.

The only "High Tech" innovation on your structure was the use of grouted CMU. I have only seen an 8x8x16 CMU once in Thailand. They don't typically even manufacture them nor use them in construction.

Your foundation system is common.

I don't know where you investigated laboratory testing, but even in Buriram I have found the cylinder molds, air meter and unit weight bucket at a functioning materials laboratory.

For someone in such dire fear of earthquakes, why would you ever consider a CMU structure? You would be better of in a Pre-engineered (Butler Bldg.) Building with sheet cladding.

I had the 8x8x16 cmu's made for me.

Yes, I have test boxes to make samples and all the Ready Mix plants carry them also,

but in reality up north nobody bothers, it is only a formality they need to appear to follow.

Like I said, any test results from a Ready Mix plant is dubious in my opinion.

You can get accurate testing done at Chiang Mai University (CMU) no pun intended.

But it is really not practical for me as my jobsite is 3 hours away.

Contrary to what I must sound like, I am not in dire fear of earthquakes but I am in dire

fear of being buried under tons of concrete when I know how to prevent it.

I actually looked into Butler type Buildings and made little progress in Chiang mai.

Blue Steel is there but only an office and can't do much of anything for me.

Metal buildings are very hot and not my first choice.

The part of my cmu design that really confuses them is that there are no posts.

And that's all they know about where I am...posts and beams....

From sex tourism to AIDS to earthquakes, what's next JRingo?

Congratulations JRingo. :o You have just made it to the top of the 80% (maybe 90%) category. If you are in doubt as to what this category is please refer to the threads by Millwall Fan (8th August) and Lamphun (9th August) in the Red Lion and O'Malleys Topic. Ed.Lee is right there next to you.

> From sex tourism to AIDS to earthquakes, what's next JRingo?

My money is on Bird Flu being next.

Nah.....More like rampant terrorism on Thai Airways prior to the new airport opening. He likes controversy :o

> From sex tourism to AIDS to earthquakes, what's next JRingo?

My money is on Bird Flu being next.

Nah.....More like rampant terrorism on Thai Airways prior to the new airport opening. He likes controversy :o

How are earthquakes controversial?

People have developed different opinions from the information they have received

from different places.

I happen to be in construction and know a little bit about this subject.

There is no controversy here, just different opinions, you have yours, I have mine.

Isn’t that the idea behind this forum?

I wish you guys would add something useful or interesting to the topic.

Thread: Good Bye

JRingo Posted on: 2006-07-30 18:09:30

Good bye.

What? No "Hello, I'm back" thread???

how disappointing... :o

So what you thought I said goodbye forever?

So what you want me to ask your permission to post again?

Ok, sir John, permission to come aboard sir! :D

Good bye.

Well, to preserve the sanctity of this ship and prevent a probable mutiny amongst its crew if you come onboard, I really have no other option but to say:

Permission Denied

Good bye.

Well, to preserve the sanctity of this ship and prevent a probable mutiny amongst its crew if you come onboard, I really have no other option but to say:

Permission Denied

Well that's what I get for asking. haha :D

Thanks for the warm welcome back, I'm sure more of my fan club will follow.