A Sad Tale

JRingo

Twenty years ago, before the spread of AIDS, I would frequent the woman’s houses

of the North (ban pooyings).

There was one very pretty 18 year old there who was quite unhappy with her circumstances.

She sat on the top row of 4 benches, in a room full of other girls, each wearing a

number badge, while men came and viewed them through a big glass window.

The top row, was the top shelf, new pretty young girls while girls on the lower bench

were older and less attractive and were priced accordingly.

Oeye, had to work 7 days a week with never a day off, even for her womens’ time.

She had to have sex with anyone that paid for it, about 60 baht back then.

As she was pretty she was very popular which meant man after man after man, day in-

day out.

I got to know her and used to buy her out for the whole day, to give her a day off.

I felt sorry for her and I had the money, so why not.

It turned out that she was not getting any of the money from her work, that it was

all taken by the manager who paid for her food and clothing. I was told that her

father had sold her into prostitution and she belonged to the ban pooying owner.

I talked to him about this and he confirmed the situation. He also was also eager to

sell her to me for 10,000 baht, since I was so concerned for her.

I had no desire to own anyone, but had an idea, that maybe I could buy her, bring her

back to her village and give her back her childhood and her life.

So, I did just that, and off we went to Amphur Thoeng, Chiang Rai.

Well once at her village, we had to go to the temple where the official “ownership”

papers were kept. It was some sort of loan agreement between the girls father and

the ban pooying owner. From what I could gather, the father didn’t actually sell his

daughter but took a loan from the owner. The loan was to be repaid by the daughter

working at the ban pooying. After expenses, her earnings would be applied to the

outstanding loan. This essentially meant she was sold into bondage.

Okay, so whatever, I gave the owner 10,000 baht, he cancelled the loan as paid and tore

up the loan agreement. So he heads back home and I hang around to see the result of

setting Oeye free.

The first day was great as she romped around with her childhood friends. I was full of

pride and optimism for her future.

The second day the father starts explaining the situation. Apparently, he had some

altercation with the local police and faced a jail sentence. He was given the option

of paying a fine, which is why he borrowed the money from ban pooying owner.

However, the loan didn’t cover the fine so Oeyes’ earnings went to make

monthly payments.

So, the situation now was, that since she was no longer working, he could not pay his

fine and he would have to go to jail. Unless I could send him money monthly, he had

no choice but to sell her again.

Broken hearted that I had failed, I walked away wanting to have no part of that.

In Chiangrai, a Thai gave me the idea that if I cared so much about her that maybe I should marry her. He explained that if I did that, her father would be hard pressed

to re-sell her, as she would belong to me not him.

I gave that a try, not that I wanted a wife, but wanted to help an innocent human being

out of an outrageous situation.

In the long run it didn’t work out as her new boyfriend got her shooting heroin and any

money I sent went to support those habits. Finally at the advice of the local police, I

walked away from the situation…and her father sold her to a club in Phuket.

So any of you guys out there who think these girls have chosen this lifestyle on their

own, think again.

This is partly why I have no respect for falang bar owners who turn a blind eye to the

horrors they perpetuate.

Great story, a common one though.

I hope the father, and all those like him some day die a painful slow death for his actions.

"Do bad, get bad"

i agree,sh*t is happening all over the world like this.even here in england.hate to think what the world will be like in 10 years.the worlds gone mad!

A very sad story indeed Ringo.....maybee you should have gone to the authorities (such as they are) Slavery was abolished here in about 1910.

and this sounds very much like slavery to me!

I dont know if they would have ,or even given a second thought to this poor girls plight as I have heard other similar stories here.

Absolutley shocking

Twenty years ago, before the spread of AIDS, I would frequent the woman’s houses

of the North (ban pooyings).

There was one very pretty 18 year old there who was quite unhappy with her circumstances.

She sat on the top row of 4 benches, in a room full of other girls, each wearing a

number badge, while men came and viewed them through a big glass window.

The top row, was the top shelf, new pretty young girls while girls on the lower bench

were older and less attractive and were priced accordingly.

Oeye, had to work 7 days a week with never a day off, even for her womens’ time.

She had to have sex with anyone that paid for it, about 60 baht back then.

As she was pretty she was very popular which meant man after man after man, day in-

day out.

I got to know her and used to buy her out for the whole day, to give her a day off.

I felt sorry for her and I had the money, so why not.

It turned out that she was not getting any of the money from her work, that it was

all taken by the manager who paid for her food and clothing. I was told that her

father had sold her into prostitution and she belonged to the ban pooying owner.

I talked to him about this and he confirmed the situation. He also was also eager to

sell her to me for 10,000 baht, since I was so concerned for her.

I had no desire to own anyone, but had an idea, that maybe I could buy her, bring her

back to her village and give her back her childhood and her life.

So, I did just that, and off we went to Amphur Thoeng, Chiang Rai.

Well once at her village, we had to go to the temple where the official “ownership”

papers were kept. It was some sort of loan agreement between the girls father and

the ban pooying owner. From what I could gather, the father didn’t actually sell his

daughter but took a loan from the owner. The loan was to be repaid by the daughter

working at the ban pooying. After expenses, her earnings would be applied to the

outstanding loan. This essentially meant she was sold into bondage.

Okay, so whatever, I gave the owner 10,000 baht, he cancelled the loan as paid and tore

up the loan agreement. So he heads back home and I hang around to see the result of

setting Oeye free.

The first day was great as she romped around with her childhood friends. I was full of

pride and optimism for her future.

The second day the father starts explaining the situation. Apparently, he had some

altercation with the local police and faced a jail sentence. He was given the option

of paying a fine, which is why he borrowed the money from ban pooying owner.

However, the loan didn’t cover the fine so Oeyes’ earnings went to make

monthly payments.

So, the situation now was, that since she was no longer working, he could not pay his

fine and he would have to go to jail. Unless I could send him money monthly, he had

no choice but to sell her again.

Broken hearted that I had failed, I walked away wanting to have no part of that.

In Chiangrai, a Thai gave me the idea that if I cared so much about her that maybe I should marry her. He explained that if I did that, her father would be hard pressed

to re-sell her, as she would belong to me not him.

I gave that a try, not that I wanted a wife, but wanted to help an innocent human being

out of an outrageous situation.

In the long run it didn’t work out as her new boyfriend got her shooting heroin and any

money I sent went to support those habits. Finally at the advice of the local police, I

walked away from the situation…and her father sold her to a club in Phuket.

So any of you guys out there who think these girls have chosen this lifestyle on their

own, think again.

This is partly why I have no respect for falang bar owners who turn a blind eye to the

horrors they perpetuate.

So you stopped going to whore houses because AIDs was everywhere?So if AIDs was not around, you would still be using these places? :o

You do realise that you were part of the problem.Take away the demand (Punters like you) and there ceases to be a market that these girls get sold into.

You do realise that you were part of the problem.Take away the demand (Punters like you) and there ceases to be a market that these girls get sold into.

We have all be guilty of being part of the problem at one time or another I would imagine, but Thai brothels were in existance long before we hit these sunny shores, and will be flourishing long after we have departed. If the tourists stopped frequenting the likes of Nana and Cowboy, they would certainly collapse overnight, but there is too much money involved in the Thai sector to see any of their clubs closing in the near future. A sad fact :o

So you stopped going to whore houses because AIDs was everywhere?So if AIDs was not around, you would still be using these places? :o

Good point Chuchok, actually I was sickened by the whole sordid business years ago.

There is so much more to Thailand than the working girls.

We have all be guilty of being part of the problem at one time or another I would imagine, but Thai brothels were in existance long before we hit these sunny shores, and will be flourishing long after we have departed. If the tourists stopped frequenting the likes of Nana and Cowboy, they would certainly collapse overnight, but there is too much money involved in the Thai sector to see any of their clubs closing in the near future. A sad fact :D

I always acted like a choir boy MM. :o

:D

Edited by chuchok

A sad story indeed and exactly the reason that I stopped going to the Ban Sou many years ago, however, this tale has little to nothing to do with the Farang-oriented side of the sex business in Thailand.

The vast majority of girls in Go-Go type bars come and go as they wish on a daily basis and have decided to work in the bars for their own reasons. Some girls work for years and others get married to Farangs within a few days. Some lead lousy lives, some strike it rich, and some end up living happily ever after.

All sex-oriented businesses should not be tarred with the same brush. :o

This topic probably relates to the one called simply "Pimps" on this forum already. Some of us are trying to convert that discussion into one about the practice of prostitution, such as this topic.

Suggestion: should these two topics be combined under a general title such as "How evil is prostitution in Thailand?" and placed under a general forum?

Suggestion: should these two topics be combined under a general title such as "How evil is prostitution in Thailand?" and placed under a general forum?

If you do, you should probably put it in Bedlam, because that is what the topic is going to turn into - Bedlam! :o

We have all be guilty of being part of the problem at one time or another I would imagine, but Thai brothels were in existance long before we hit these sunny shores, and will be flourishing long after we have departed. If the tourists stopped frequenting the likes of Nana and Cowboy, they would certainly collapse overnight, but there is too much money involved in the Thai sector to see any of their clubs closing in the near future. A sad fact :D

:D Quoute of the DECADE

Edited by ThaiPauly

:D Quoute of the DECADE

should that not be "quote from the decayed?"

Or a priest :D

the trade was there hundred of years before and continues to exist now and shall continue for the future. best just to leave the way it is than to try and change things. females however have a lot more say nowdays and many choose to live this way. who are we to interfere?

prostitution would cease to exist only and until humans cease to exist.

Great story, a common one though.

I hope the father, and all those like him some day die a painful slow death for his actions.

"Do bad, get bad"

What I find interesting is that it is usually the mothers who lease their daughters. It appears that the fathers usually only have this option/right if the mother is absent.

When the parent provides their child (property) into debt bondage that child gets a percentage of each service provided, which is either used to pay off the bondage debt, sent home or spent on makeup etc..

I was at a procurement once. The mother was a widowed opium addict with a retarded son and a 13 year old daughter. The mother simply could not provide for her daughter and the son was close to ferral. I remember the negotiations well; the 'agent' was offering to pay 3 baht of gold for the daughter and the Hmong woman insisted on 3 baht of silver because silver in trade for daughters was her custom. She finally accepted the gold. These arrangements, as the op stated, are usually quite contractually 'proper'.

This particular situation was quite tragic, but I have also seen numerous times when village girls

in their teens plot amongst themselves to run off and get rich down south. They are certailny not all victims.

...Ken

Sad story. The remnants of the Vietnam war still linger on as poverty, abuse, and greed, I suppose.

I wonder if anyone has tried internet dating in Thailand. Perhaps this could be better way of meeting Thai women who are truly after love and not money. Perhaps the pimps (women and men) are in the know and are using these means to hit Westerners who might think that they are getting a genuine woman? Is there anyone who has tried meeting Thai woman this way --or knows of someone who has-- and whether or not he was more successful in developing a "genuine" relationship? I understand no system is perfect, but maybe this could be a better way of meeting true professional Thai women who are not in the sex industry and give guys like me a chance to meet women who are not in the sex industry. I wonder if these women marry for love as opposed for the money (Ok! OK! ... more for love than money! :o ) (BTW, I have tried this method with limited success [made 1 genuine friend and had a quick, but not sustainable relationship with another professional Thai woman though] last year and I am presently corresponding with a few genuinely professional (to be determined, of course) ... women (to be determined :D) in view of a 4 months' stay in Thailand starting this Sept.).

Edited by MyPenRye

Sad story. The remnants of the Vietnam war still linger on as poverty, abuse, and greed, I suppose.

I wonder if anyone has tried internet dating in Thailand. Perhaps this could be better way of meeting Thai women who are truly after love and not money. Perhaps the pimps (women and men) are in the know and are using these means to hit Westerners who might think that they are getting a genuine woman? Is there anyone who has tried meeting Thai woman this way --or knows of someone who has-- and whether or not he was more successful in developing a "genuine" relationship? I understand no system is perfect, but maybe this could be a better way of meeting true professional Thai women who are not in the sex industry and give guys like me a chance to meet women who are not in the sex industry. I wonder if these women marry for love as opposed for the money (Ok! OK! ... more for love than money! :o ) (BTW, I have tried this method with limited success [made 1 genuine friend and had a quick, but not sustainable relationship with another professional Thai woman though] last year and I am presently corresponding with a few genuinely professional (to be determined, of course) ... women (to be determined :D) in view of a 4 months' stay in Thailand starting this Sept.).

Step 1. Don't go to bars with hookers!

Step 2. Don't wear any tourist beer chang, sigha. etc tshirts.

Step 3. Don't look like a slop, no tank tops, dirty cloths etc.

Step 4. Don't have a huge beer gut, one does not have to look like Brad Pitt, but at least try to get some exersice.

Step 5. Join some organizations where you will be interacting with Thais.

Step 6. Remeber don't go to bars with hookers.

Believe it or not there are more than two ways of meeting women in Thailand (girlie bars / internet), until you discover a third way i think you may continue to be disappointed!

Actually internet dating may not be all bad, but naturally all the usual precautions apply. The Internet is far from free from golddiggers and people with ulterior motives.

I have seen positive results coming out of Internet dating, but also the opposite.

I think that the above applies to dating girls from the bars as well. I wonder how many of the Thai / non-Thai relationships started of in a bar? I know of several couples that would fall into this category and they appear to be very happily married and settled down.

It's not all dark and evil as the OP would like us to believe :o