Australian Jack Hansen-Bartel a victim of Thailand's brutal underbelly

Lite Beer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closed circuit television from the Green Mango appears to show Hansen-Bartel walking into the club with the woman before being stopped by the students.

"One said to me, 'she is with my friend…don't mess with her,'" Hansen-Bartel told Fairfax Media. "I said, 'Sorry, I didn't know.'"

Hansen-Bartel said he then asked the woman if she knew the men and she said she did and would stay at the club with them.

Hansen-Bartel was injured later in the night.

Callous inhumanity post-incident but I do not find this exchange plausible. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

Whatever happened to the Chinese dudes that beat him nearly to death?

Where are the snows of yesteryear ?

:).

So, hardly to a pulp lads. But mouth reconstruction is involved over the next 18montjs.

Chinese American lads -

If you read AD 's site you will see they are busy now fitting up jack as the perp and drawing up fraudulent documents with Koh Samuis finest. It's become a nasty game of who is the most affluent and we can all see where this will likely end up I think- at prestigious u.s universities for these two will about cover it.

Whatever happened to the Chinese dudes that beat him nearly to death?

Where are the snows of yesteryear ?
:).

So, hardly to a pulp lads. But mouth reconstruction is involved over the next 18montjs.

Chinese American lads -

If you read AD 's site you will see they are busy now fitting up jack as the perp and drawing up fraudulent documents with Koh Samuis finest. It's become a nasty game of who is the most affluent and we can all see where this will likely end up I think- at prestigious u.s universities for these two will about cover it.

My mistake one university.

One Chinese American guy has been removed from his campus due to their zero tolerance policy on violence. Change.org update. Fancy that.

Closed circuit television from the Green Mango appears to show Hansen-Bartel walking into the club with the woman before being stopped by the students.

"One said to me, 'she is with my frienddon't mess with her,'" Hansen-Bartel told Fairfax Media. "I said, 'Sorry, I didn't know.'"

Hansen-Bartel said he then asked the woman if she knew the men and she said she did and would stay at the club with them.

Callous inhumanity post-incident but I do not find this exchange plausible. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

Out of everything that happened that night that's the part you find implausible ?

Seems January is a big month for the courts on the Thai islands.

I would like to have been a fly on the wall here. I empathies with the Hansen-Bartel's, but I am not sure young Jack was able to hold his booze. No need for defending the position, as said, it would be interesting to know exactly what went down, not what the opinions of boths sides might be.

• Like 1

i'll say it again. Chawaeng is a crap hole and it was when I lived there 10 years ago. It will never change because falangs will keep going there no matter. Samui on the other hand is way overgrown with developments, mafia groups and thai hookers so it has become one of the worse destinations in Thailand second or third to maybe Pattya and Phuket.

People getting a bit carried away with its not safe here .

I feel safer here than many other places.

+ 1 thumbsup.gif

Totally agree.... + 2 thumbsup.gif

Sorry my 2 TV friends but i have to disagree,i think Samui has become a more violent place and i think its time to watch your back and be aware of who is around you.However i do believe not enough of us(tourist too) show enough respect towards thais in general and it pays to "button the lip"

Well S B C,

I for one who have been here for almost seven years, (Songkhla & KP too) coming up to 10 years for my first visit to Thailand, I did not & still don't see all this nonsense being spoken about....

I think for most of us that live here, don't see it either...(except perhaps the hard core bar crowd.... and by that I don't mean everyone who goes for a social drink at a local bar) ... it's easy to avoid the bad places ....

I watch or read the news from various countries and I think that it's not a bad here as some like to try and portray..facepalm.gif .... it's worse in many other countries IMO.... wai2.gif

I will let Tropicalevo speak for himself! wink.png

Just to add about the "Mafia problems" that is something else that does not affect me and I would say many others....coffee1.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

i'll say it again. Chawaeng is a crap hole and it was when I lived there 10 years ago. It will never change because falangs will keep going there no matter. Samui on the other hand is way overgrown with developments, mafia groups and thai hookers so it has become one of the worse destinations in Thailand second or third to maybe Pattya and Phuket.

Whilst I am wandering slightly off topic (sorry.gif ) but to put some things in perspective -

Chaweng is a crap hole - I agree.

Why on earth, of all of the places to live on Samui, did you choose Chaweng?

It was a crap hole when I arrived 14 years ago and nothing has changed. It is no better or no worse. Just larger. You are correct - it will never change. Unless they close all of the bars/entertainment venues etc. Everywhere in the world where there is

cheap alcohol in large quantities

drugs freely available

readily available sex (at a price)

there will be problems.

This is not just a farang thing. It is a 'people out to have a good time' thing. Locals and tourists. One side has the money - the other side want it. This happens in all of the places that I have lived in. London, Birmingham, Sydney. Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok and now Samui. (And I have spent time in a lot more places.) There are areas that I feel comfortable in and then there are areas that I avoid. On the whole - the nice areas are many and make life in that location worth living.

Currently there is a lot of development on Samui. Again, personally, I think that this is good.

We have better roads to most parts of the island.

We have a better electrical supply to most parts of the island.

We have a better water supply to most parts of the island.

We have better drainage, transport, infrastructure, hospitals and medical treatment, access to most parts of the island etc etc.

There is a cost for all of this, and it is paid for by development! Luckily, most of Samui is still unspoilt and beautiful. There are huge areas where land is cheap and your neighbour is miles away. (Because - most people want to go to Chaweng.) Chaweng is NOT Samui.

I am not sure how much of Samui you saw, but Mafia groups and prostitues are to be found all over the world. For my part, where I live, eat, conduct business and travel on Samui, I rarely see them.

I advise all of my visitors/guests to avoid the entertainment areas of Chaweng. 99% of them have a great time on Samui. The other 1% tend to end up in hospital having crashed their motorbike driving home from Chaweng whilst drunk.

What has happened to Jack is very unfortunate. BUT - it could have happened in any large town/city anywhere in the world - where there is a party area. (Even Singapore where the crime rate is the lowest in the world.) Jack's mother actually started all of this by praising Samui's police force for finding the other people involved. Yes - you read that correctly - she was praising Samui's police force.

Samui is not 'one of the worse destinations in Thailand second or third to maybe Pattya and Phuket.' It is just that the others do not have much in the way of English speaking information. eg - how do you rate Nakon Sri Thammarat and what is your criteria?

• Like 1

"One said to me, 'she is with my frienddon't mess with her,'" Hansen-Bartel told Fairfax Media. "I said, 'Sorry, I didn't know.'"

Out of everything that happened that night that's the part you find implausible ?

Seems January is a big month for the courts on the Thai islands.

Everything else is plausible, correct. Disgusting, but plausible.

The above is implausible and a far more likely exchange occurred between bruised, selfless egos that would explain not merely the results of that night but the attitude of all publicans and bar owners and club / security staff to the victims of self-inflicted violence.

I am quite lippy and not a big guy, but I've never been in a physical altercation. I could have been killed hundreds of times if I acted the way I've seen drunk boys act. Bunch of insane Toddlers really, starting fights and then complaining when they get the crap kicked out of them.

If that was true, there would have been no violence.

Samui is not 'one of the worse destinations in Thailand second or third to maybe Pattya and Phuket.' It is just that the others do not have much in the way of English speaking information. eg - how do you rate Nakon Sri Thammarat and what is your criteria?

Careful talking about Nakhon ST, you know what they are like... wink.png

My wife is from NST and let me tell you they are fierce people down there. I think they still have the lead score in the 'murder by anything you can get your hands on' category?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just reading the latest on another well known site about this and seems like the NHRC are taking a firm interest in this case now as well as the Koh Tao case.

Wang and Chang's main super witness has now strangely decided to withdraw her statement.....coincidentally enough just as the NHRC have viewed the CCTV which allegedly shows a much different picture and story than the one she and the 2 accused have portrayed previously. So, now she has conveniently decided to withdraw her statement as i guess you cannot lie with clear CCTV pics that show the opposite to what she and the accused say happened in the lead up to the attack.

Whilst they don't mention on what i read today i also believe there is CCTV from another camera of the attack which again allegedly shows all of their stories up to be errmmm, well, not quite as they described, lets put it that way!

This all seems to go along exactly with the young Aussie lads version from the very beginning as to what happened. It certainly all seems very strange as to how, as soon as one of the rich fathers appeared the police totally changed and turned the tables 100% and suddenly decided to charge Jack, the Aussie guy, in fact it has worrying comparisons with another case recently in this sense of influential people talking with authorities!!

• Like 2

Just reading the latest on another well known site about this and seems like the NHRC are taking a firm interest in this case now as well as the Koh Tao case.

Wang and Chang's main super witness has now strangely decided to withdraw her statement.....coincidentally enough just as the NHRC have viewed the CCTV which allegedly shows a much different picture and story than the one she and the 2 accused have portrayed previously. So, now she has conveniently decided to withdraw her statement as i guess you cannot lie with clear CCTV pics that show the opposite to what she and the accused say happened in the lead up to the attack.

Whilst they don't mention on what i read today i also believe there is CCTV from another camera of the attack which again allegedly shows all of their stories up to be errmmm, well, not quite as they described, lets put it that way!

This all seems to go along exactly with the young Aussie lads version from the very beginning as to what happened. It certainly all seems very strange as to how, as soon as one of the rich fathers appeared the police totally changed and turned the tables 100% and suddenly decided to charge Jack, the Aussie guy, in fact it has worrying comparisons with another case recently in this sense of influential people talking with authorities!!

I read the same article. It certainly makes the next steps more interesting. I wonder how 'Thailand's finest' will react now?

unless you live here and see the inhumanity first hand or have had it done to you, you just don't get it, sure the uk has this and usa has that and mexico is this and Thailand is just like em all but anybody who isn't aware of the underbelly in Thailand hasn't been there that long or is a simply a cool good person, but bad things happen to good people everywhere and u tend to be one of them if you keep messing about in Thailand long enough, I personally think the place becomes more fun when you loose the illusions,, illusions that most of the locale's don't have and you still enjoyed them and illusions that as you become disillusioned need to be let go of, if enjoyment can continue its real I say..but the thai gang up and mob beat someone isn't justifiable just because your 4ft 22 tall.

Edited by Leviathan

I love it when people say they feel safer here. The difference is gents if something were to kick off and you were an unfortunate victim where do you think you would stand a greater chance of getting some help from the law? Thailand or farangland? Case in point this article or Koh tao or the countless other incidents. Pull your head out of your durians.

Edited by wellred
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Inept police and prosecution service aside. The circumstances of this attack seem strangely suspicious to me. This guy was out with a group of friends. How often do bullies attack when they are out-numbered?

It seems to me that there is more to this than we know and I would guess that it involves some sort of provocation or perceived justification for the assault, whether valid or not.

I am not condoning it or taking sides in anyway but there is definitely more to this initial assault than meets the eye, or has been disclosed on the TVF gossip and rumour-mill.

From personal experience I would say that he had little chance of a modelling career anyway.

• Like 1