What Would You Do To Get Your Social Security Back?

Hello and Sawadee khrap,

I had just recently changed school in May and was a sort of shocked, when I found out that my new school seems to be worse than my former school.

And my former school wasn't the ideal place to teach at all. A nightmare going on for 3.5 zears.

Okay, I had to leave the country to apply for a Non-B visa. Then the biggest problem, if I’d get a third provisional license.

No problem, said the superiors of my school. They know the right guys from Khurusapaha and I shouldn't worry.

When I was asking if they'd pay for visa and work permit, they didn't say yes, but nor did they say no.

Finally, I was very lucky, received my third provisional TL, 12 days before my 90 days expired. When I picked up my work permit, I popped in the social security office next door.

Confusion pure. My school, an Anuban in a smaller town is not even registered yet. Trying to continue by paying in alone didn't work out. The problem was the work permit.

Of course did my former school not inform the social security office in another province that I'd quit my job. They gave me two forms, one for my former school that I'm not working there anymore, the other one for my school.

I gave this registration form to them on the next day and really thought it would take only a week, or so. They told me that the director would drive to the provincial city and register ‘his” school.

Then always another excuse. One week was the director not at school, the next week no coordinator.

Then competitions coming up, a seminar had to be prepared and done on a weekend. Not long and another seminar followed.And that went on and on and on like that.

Asking if they’d done something, the usual “Yang”. Not yet answer.

One of the Anuban teacher's sister works at the social security office.

This nice and helpful lady found out that all people, including two janitors, some teacher's assistants will also have to be insured. As well as my Filipino colleague, who already works there for two years.

The joke is that he never had a work permit, as there was something wrong with his documentation and Khurusahpa denied to issue his second provisional license.

So he always lied about it, but nobody really knew what was wrong. And the school paid him 5 k for visa and work permit, which he never had.

This week will be the last week, doing my tests, then midterm break. They don't have to make a new registration form for me, as I've already paid in for almost ten years.

I just came back from the local hospital today and had to pay 1,100 baht for treatment. It's like trying to climb the Mount Everest with one leg, the way I feel about it now.

I'll take my wife to school this week, will hopefully see the director to let him know that I need my insurance to continue.

Now not being selfish, but I don't have sympathy for the other guy who was lying to them for the last two years. Plus taking money for something he never had. His work permit.

He was on his wife's Non-B as her dependent, who's also a teacher in another nearby town.

I made my decision. If they don't register the school within 6 weeks, considering the midterm break, I'll quit my position.

I have to apologize for this long post, as I thought some information would be necessary to understand the circumstances I'm in right now.

I’d really deeply appreciate some ideas how to make them registering their school, without the obligatory losing face bullshit.

Thanks a lot in advance for any useful input. Wish you teaching folks a nice holiday. --facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I think once you stop paying into SS you can continue to use the benefits for 6 months before they stop.

When you changed locations, you could have gone to SS and asked for a hospital in your new area to use. You don't need a WP to do that. There would be a lapse of time before you could use the new hospital, just like there was when you first enrolled.

You also don't need a WP to pay on your own. 432 baht per month. Is SS not letting you do that? If not, are you sure they understood what you were trying to do? Perhaps there was confusion because you were trying to get started through employment at a new place, so paying on your own got lost in the shuffle?

My experience with SS has been that if they were told of a place that wasn't enrolling employees, they'd contact the place and get them straightened out. It just took a phone call from SS...

If it was me, I'd work at getting enrolled through SS before I'd count on the school for help. The school has already shown their colors, so to speak.

Are you sure this is a government school? You've said it is elsewhere, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

Good luck.

I think once you stop paying into SS you can continue to use the benefits for 6 months before they stop.

When you changed locations, you could have gone to SS and asked for a hospital in your new area to use. You don't need a WP to do that. There would be a lapse of time before you could use the new hospital, just like there was when you first enrolled.

You also don't need a WP to pay on your own. 432 baht per month. Is SS not letting you do that? If not, are you sure they understood what you were trying to do? Perhaps there was confusion because you were trying to get started through employment at a new place, so paying on your own got lost in the shuffle?

My experience with SS has been that if they were told of a place that wasn't enrolling employees, they'd contact the place and get them straightened out. It just took a phone call from SS...

If it was me, I'd work at getting enrolled through SS before I'd count on the school for help. The school has already shown their colors, so to speak.

Are you sure this is a government school? You've said it is elsewhere, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your post. Of course am I sure that I’m working at a government school. All Anuban schools in this country are government schools.

The one teacher’s sister, who works at the SS office in the provincial city did inform the school that they have to register all their employees, which would also include janitors and some Anuban assistant teachers.

The problem was that I showed them (the SS office) my work permit and their response was that the director will have to register the school and its employees. No way to continue on my own.

I just phoned my school that I’d be late, as I’ll go to the SS office right now, take my wife with me and tell them that I’m not working and would like to continue paying in.

There was indeed a confusion, as my former school didn't inform the SS office in a neighboring province, so I was still insured through them. But the message was clear. The director has to register “his” school, which is only 25 km away from the main SS office.

It seems to me that the director isn't willing to pay some money for only a few employees and I made up my mind that I’ll look for another teaching position after the midterm break.

I'm the only foreigner there with experience, beside a Filipino who isn't really liked by all of them and they should find out how hard it can be to find somebody, who can do such a stress full job.

They can look for somebody who trains all the kids for various competitions in December. and I know how difficult it can be to find decent teachers, as i did the hiring foreigners part for two schools before.

There’re too many things not quite right and I’ll show them that not all foreigners deal with such bullshit that they've giving me since I started there.

I find it hard to believe that there’re schools out there, only promising everything, but do nothing. I won't buy any markers, copy paper out of my own pocket anymore, as another teacher is pocketing all the ordered stuff.

It’s really time for a wake -up call for them now. And the fact that they don't pay for work permit and visa shows how welcome foreign teachers really are.Thanks again.

Edited by lostinisaan

Good for you! It sounds like this school is hardly worth the bother of working at, even though it's probably just like many other schools that don't take proper care of their staff.

The best of luck with your SS difficulties - and it would be interesting to hear/know how you get along with this. I rather think there are others - if not now, then later - that would appreciate knowing about your experience.

Cheers - and hope it all works out for you.

• Like 1

Good luck.

Terry, I'd like to thank you very much from the bottom of my heart for your post. Here's what happened today at the SS office in Sisaket. Went there with my wife and showed them my card from the neighboring province, where I'd worked before.

I told her that I wasn't working and wanted to continue with my insurance. I had very good luck, as three weeks later, all my "savings" (the 68 K, I'd paid in already) would have been gone, plus no more chance to continue with my social security.

We sat there for about an hour and i walked out with a new card, paid 432 baht and went to school. Had something written for my director, regarding my missing SS and attached a hospital bill of 1,080 baht i had to pay yesterday for medical treatment.

What an idiot he is. All he said was that he'll have to have the right form to "register" his freaking school, which I had given him already almost three months ago.

But it's midterm soon and he'll do that afterwards and register "his" institution. That's what he said when i gave him the form and he'd promised me to do that in the same week.

I was sure that he would at least reimburse me for my hospital bill, but when I left his office, it didn't take long and his secretary was looking for me, with my letter and the hospital bill in her hands.

“No, No.!" We cannot pay for this. You have to go to the social security office in Sisaket and they'll pay you. I thought I was on a bad LSD trip, to be honest.

Trying to let her know that I wouldn't have insurance anymore, which was the reason for visiting the director's office made her look even more stupid.

I've attached a brochure that i scanned in, which I'd gotten from the nice lady at the SS office this morning. She gave me the only brochure the office had in English, which I deeply appreciated.

The way it looks now seems to be okay for me. If I'm still alive next year in May, I can take my 68 K out and start over again.

Another opportunity would be to continue paying in and if I could work until I'm 65, I'd even receive a pension. There're more benefits and the friendly woman punted out some real "goodies." For example losing my job, being able to receive some money, etc...Please see attached files.

Just a minute ago, i bumped into another nice lady, a teacher from my school, who's got her daughter in our grade one EP program. She knew about the director's wrongdoing and told me to make a copy of the hospital receipt.

Don't worry, we'll find a way, you’ll get your money back, were her words. I could finally finish all my printing for four different grades, stapled all with the help of my wife and will have to check the test results on Wednesday and Friday, together with my son and wife.

Then I look forward to 23 free days without screaming kids. And enough time to rethink my position at this wonderful institution.

I made a huge mistake to change schools and my third waiver seems to be worthless now. I do not think that they'll give me a fourth provisional TL, when finding another teaching position.

Again, thanks a lot for your cool input. G'Day and a better holiday. Time to show my director now that not all foreigners are idiots.. Cheers.---facepalm.gif

Please see attached files in English from the SS office in Sisaket. There're benefits, i haven't heard of before.

I've already paid in for 96 months, would I make it to 180 months, I could get a pension. Or I just take the 68 K out next year, when I turn 55.

I'm just wondering if any foreigners have received some money when losing their job for whatever reason.

It might be worth to mention that they also pay for kids. Let's say you've got three and you receive 1,200 baht, but you only pay in 750 baht/month, it's pretty cool.\

Dear TVF members, please share your experiences if you had some of these benefits. Maybe an old age pension? A good percentages of the salary you had before, when you lost your job.

I only know of one Filipino who had almost all benefits, mentioned in the brochure, excluding the old age pension. 1,200 baht for three kids, a part of his salary when he'd lost his job, etc...

Unfortunate, it would be nice, if people would share their knowledge.

Time for the midterm break now. I really need it. Wish you a nice holiday without accidents and lost faces at school.

post-158336-0-08275300-1412646272_thumb.

post-158336-0-84400300-1412646273_thumb.

post-158336-0-50419200-1412646275_thumb.

post-158336-0-93632300-1412646276_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

Message to all really sincere and professional foreign teachers:

DO NOT TEACH IN THAILAND.

It is much better in China and Korea. If you are a certified teacher or have a Bachelor of Education try the International Schools.

Warm weather is not worth the difference. It must be stifling hot in the classrooms in Thailand on some days.

Have a nice holiday.

Same to you. Will have to stay at home and might go to Pattaya only. It's called Pattaya Noi, which is a lake near Ubon Ratchathani, with clean water, floating restaurants, good food and no Russians on jet skies.

Nor are there any girls, trying to shoot you with Ping Pong balls and bananas. And those muscles can be extremely strong.........laugh.png

It is much better in China and Korea. If you are a certified teacher or have a Bachelor of Education try the International Schools.

Warm weather is not worth the difference. It must be stifling hot in the classrooms in Thailand on some days.

Khop Khun La Lai for your great advice. The only problem I've got with China is that there're too many Chinese people in this country.

An Australian friend of mine worked in Korea and all I know is that I'd never go there, just to make a few more baht.

Some of us do have lovely families here, good Thai friends and the way of life differs a lot to a life in Niehaucountry, or Korea.

Warm weather and a nice family and friends are worth to live and teach in Thailand. Yep, it's hot in many classrooms, but you'll get used to it.

I definitely think that you'd change your mind, if a nice family's waiting for you, when you come home from school. There's something some of us get from Thai students, money can't buy.

If they really like you as their teacher and you're still in touch with ex- students who became doctors or lawyers and they still thank you for teaching them, you understand that you did a good job.

Isn't it great, if you're able to talk to stunning girls here in their own slang? I guess you do not speak Thai, right? It's always those guys who complain about Thailand, being here for many moons, but not able to even order an ordinary noodle soup at a restaurant.

There're people teaching in Taiwan, just because they''re not qualified anymore in Thailand, who make a little bit more money. but I've never heard them saying that life's better than in Thailand. The temperature in fall and winter is similar to a European country.

Oh, I might consider to go skiing in China in summer break.

BTW, I din't come to Asia to make the big money, it's the way of life, especially in the north east, that keeps me here. Then the always warm/hot climate.

I can sit outside of our house every day, even when it rains and really love it. I couldn't do that in Europe.

Message to all sincere and professional or almost professional foreign teachers:

Enjoy your teaching position in Thailand. If you're not happy, just look for a better school.

And if you came here to become rich, you made a huge mistake. Money doesn't buy you love.

working in thailand, too much hassle for little pay

Looking at your username, I's assume you're from Belgium, right? I'm "making" 33 K now, even after ten years of teaching. But I had decided to live in Thailand, married a real lovely farmers' daughter, who did not work in a bar, and settled down in lower northeast.

I had enough money to live a quite comfortable life for a few years, bought a car, this and that. Ten years ago, a teacher from a well known school approached me and was asking me if I'd be interested in teaching at his school.

I had no idea about teaching, nor was I after money when I finally gave it a try. It turned out that I loved it and still do. What's wrong with having a job, where you actually love what you're doing?

Teaching is one of the few occupations foreigners are allowed to do here. So did you come to Thailand to work here, or to live here?

When I read these superficial posts of people how good ( also good paid) teaching in China, Korea, or Taiwan is, I just start laughing about them.

Those I know who made it to one of these countries would be more than happy to come back to Thailand, if they're allowed to teach here after having two provisional teacher's licenses.

Most of my "mates" back in Germoney are so unhappy in their lives,as they already have everything they dreamed of.Most of them would be more than happy if they could change their life with mine.

Even having less money. Too many people here believe money is all. It isn't.

• Like 1

Notice to those who want to stay in Thailand: YOU CAN TEACH IN THAILAND

By teaching you can receive a visa extension, a basic wage, and save money by not having so much drinking time. The real benefit is it beats being a greeter at Wal-Mart, maybe.

• Like 1

"Maybe an old age pension? A good percentages of the salary you had before, when you lost your job."

If you are expecting 'a good percentage', you'll probably be disappointed.

I can't read the brochure you posted, but from it you should be able to get a fairly accurate idea of what you can expect to get each month when you retire.

You've mentioned 68k several times. How long do you think that will last you?

Also, there might be conditions attached that you might not like. I'd be more specific, but I can't find my English language brochure at the moment.

"Maybe an old age pension? A good percentages of the salary you had before, when you lost your job."

If you are expecting 'a good percentage', you'll probably be disappointed.

I can't read the brochure you posted, but from it you should be able to get a fairly accurate idea of what you can expect to get each month when you retire.

You've mentioned 68k several times. How long do you think that will last you?

Also, there might be conditions attached that you might not like. I'd be more specific, but I can't find my English language brochure at the moment.

The English brochure is attached in post # 8. Just open it with ACD see and you can read it. The 68 K is just the amount I've paid in and if I need money next May i can take it out. I paid in 96 months now, but you're only eligible to receive a pension when you paid in for 180 months.

In my case, I'd have to pay in until I'm 65, to receive an old age pension I do not expect a "good pension? coming in, as I will also get my German pension if i live that long. Unfortunately, I won't get a lot of money, as i left Europe 12 years ago and stopped paying in.

I wish I could turn time back and continue to pay my part in. Ce La Vie.

I think I'll use the 68 K, plus some savings to buy a big bike again. Had a weird malfunction of my big bike's rear brake and 270 kg broke my right leg three times.Tibia head affected as well......

The Isaan hospital- of course- butchered my bones together in a way that i had to go to Europe for five more OP's and finally to receive an artificial knee joint.

Even my Thai car mechanic could "read" the X-Ray that they messed it completely up. My SS paid 80 K, because motorcycle insurances only pay up to 12 K.

So I'm really glad to have my insurance again. You never know what will happen.

It broke my heart when i had to sell my Yamaha virago 750 cc, with the license plate # 1 Sisaket to a guy in Phuket, to support my family while in European hospitals. The SS already paid more for my medical expenses, than what i paid in.

Still got my colors, a nice leather jacket and a cool wife, who loves big bikes as I do. The Sisaket Riders might come back to life soon. Hopefully.

Edited by lostinisaan

Hell with lovely hospital stories like that I'm sure many will flock here to teach for 27,000 baht a month. Some lifestyle, where you have to consider cashing out your retirement money for a 2nd hand moped. I think it's ok living here but like I've said before, employers offering small salaries and people taking them really doesn't help the community of teachers.

I love smotherb's post too...yes please we should all aspire to a job that is better than being a walmart greeter! ;p

I don't mean to derail this thread, but I had to reply to Greg.

Greg,

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I taught in Korea for 2 years. The pros: 1) The money is decent. I was making 2.1and went up to 2.4 my second year. That's equivalent to 2,000 and 2,300 USD. 2) My apartment was paid for. I got an extra months pay at the end of my contract. 3) My flight to Korea and back home to America was paid for as well. The Con's: 1) The weather is cold. I don't mean a little cold. I'm talking about a cold blast that doesn't let up until mid-March. 2) Work hours can be long and hard. I was working 12 hour days. Long days. 3) Hagwon owners are notorious for being not trust worthy. I was supposed to be putting into the pension. I would contribute money and my boss would have to match. Never happened. The same with health insurance. In the contract it states that she was supposed to give her employees health benefits. Never happened. 4) Ageism. Good luck trying to find a teaching position in Korea if you're over 40. I know ageism takes place in Thailand, but it's less rare. In Korea, it's very common.

I could compare the drab Korean environment to Thailand's beautiful scenery. Also, the nasty Korean men who hock spit on the sidewalk and yell curse words, or deliberately bump into you on the sidewalk. Then again you don't have to worry about a stray dog biting you, or corrupt police officers in Korea.

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

Greg,

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I taught in Korea for 2 years. The pros: 1) The money is decent. I was making 2.1and went up to 2.4 my second year. That's equivalent to 2,000 and 2,300 USD. 2) My apartment was paid for. I got an extra months pay at the end of my contract. 3) My flight to Korea and back home to America was paid for as well. The Con's: 1) The weather is cold. I don't mean a little cold. I'm talking about a cold blast that doesn't let up until mid-March. 2) Work hours can be long and hard. I was working 12 hour days. Long days. 3) Hagwon owners are notorious for being not trust worthy. I was supposed to be putting into the pension. I would contribute money and my boss would have to match. Never happened. The same with health insurance. In the contract it states that she was supposed to give her employees health benefits. Never happened. 4) Ageism. Good luck trying to find a teaching position in Korea if you're over 40. I know ageism takes place in Thailand, but it's less rare. In Korea, it's very common.

I could compare the drab Korean environment to Thailand's beautiful scenery. Also, the nasty Korean men who hock spit on the sidewalk and yell curse words, or deliberately bump into you on the sidewalk. Then again you don't have to worry about a stray dog biting you, or corrupt police officers in Korea.

You know where we live are no stray dogs biting us. Got a friendly hood.our Siberian Huskey protects us perfectly.Life's good here. We often cook European, Thai, or Mexican food.

We sit outside every day and enjoy nature. Yes, life could be worth. Just read an e-mail from my sister in Germany. It's getting cold, dude.

Do you mean the corrupt Thai, or Korean cops in your last sentence? you know, corruption exists in almost all countries. You just don't see it so obvious as in Thailand.

Keep your "cold blast" where it is, please. 12 hour days is a job for robots, not for human beings, dude.

If you're over 40, will never happen, if you were me. Your post is the best example for people who wish to be somewhere else.

Never happened. Never happened. Hmmm.facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Greg,

You know where we live are no stray dogs biting us. Got a friendly hood.our Siberian Huskey protects us perfectly.Life's good here. We often cook European, Thai, or Mexican food.

We sit outside every day and enjoy nature. Yes, life could be worth. Just read an e-mail from my sister in Germany. It's getting cold, dude.

Do you mean the corrupt Thai, or Korean cops in your last sentence? you know, corruption exists in almost all countries. You just don't see it so obvious as in Thailand.

Keep your "cold blast" where it is, please. 12 hour days is a job for robots, not for human beings, dude.

If you're over 40, will never happen, if you were me. Your post is the best example for people who wish to be somewhere else.

Never happened. Never happened. Hmmm.facepalm.gif

I wasn't trying to put down Thailand. I was just stating that it's not all roses on the other side. There is a reason why Korea has the 2nd highest suicide rate in the world. STRESS! They literally work themselves to death. 16 hour work days are very common for young people just starting their careers.

As for the weather it depends on who you ask. I find the heat to be very uncomfortable at times. I live on the beach in NJ. Right now its Fall weather. 60 degrees and no tourist. Perfect October weather.

I'm flying out of Thailand this Friday to NJ. I'm going to miss this beautiful country, but better opportunities are waiting for me at home.

Edited by benj005